Comedy on CD/Tape/DVD

Buford Ripley

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My personal favorite comedian, Mitch Hedberg, has 2 CDs- Strategic Grill Locations and Mitch All Together.

My second-favorite comedian, Lewis Black has at least 2 CD-Rules of Enragement and The White album

George Carlin has probably a dozen stand-up comedy CDs, most should be good.

Dane Cook has Harmful If Swallowed and Retalliation

Dave Attel has a CD or two, I can't recall any names.

The sole source of entertainment on the Blue Collar Comedy Tour, Ron White, has Drunk In Public and You Can't Fix Stupid.

If you're looking for a CD with actual music, the two Stephen Lynch CDs I have, The Craig Machine and Superhero, are hi-f'n-larious.

Edited by Fanku Kaibutsu

My personal favorite comedian, Mitch Hedberg, has 2 CDs- Strategic Grill Locations and Mitch All Together.

My second-favorite comedian, Lewis Black has at least 2 CD-Rules of Enragement and The White album

George Carlin has probably a dozen stand-up comedy CDs, most should be good.

Dane Cook has Harmful If Swallowed and Retalliation

The sole source of entertainment on the Blue Collar Comedy Tour, Ron White, has Drunk In Public and You Can't Fix Stupid.

If you're looking for a CD with actual music, the two Stephen Lynch CDs I have, The Craig Machine and Superhero, a hi-f'n-larious.

Dane Cook: Retaliation.

You will laugh. Hard.

Or, if you want something actually funny, get any of the following:

CDs

Bill Hicks - Rant In E Minor

Bill Bailey - The Greatest Bill Bailey Album In The World Ever

Derek & Clive - Live

Derek & Clive - Ad Nauseum

The Mighty Boosh - Live On The Breezeblock

Blue Jam

Chris Morris & Peter Cook - Why Bother?

DVDs

The Mighty Boosh Boxset

Jam

Brass Eye

The Day Today

Big Train

Bill Hicks - Relentless

Ross Noble - Sonic Waffle

And so on and so forth, you get the picture...

Is it me or is Dane Cook highly overrated? I have been watching him for years, through Comedy Central and various other comedy outlets, and some stuff he does/says is humerous, but somehow he just blew up in to this overrated comedian overnight.

I can't stand Dane Cook. I think some of his material could be very funny, but he ruins it in his delivery, much like a lot of, mostly American, comedians of his ilk. If he says something surreal, which on its own is amusing, he ruins it by trying to explain it too much, so the "wackiness" is just gone, and with it the humour, or he's just too brash and obnoxious. I've yet to really hear anything from him that I found overly amusing.

Guest Grapehead

Well since he has the highest debuting comedy CD since Steve Martin, I'd have to say somebody thinks he's funny. Don't act like your opinion is the ONE opinion, because when someone does that, he's obviously got some appeal. If you don't like him, that's fine, say that, if you don't think he's funny, say that, don't say it like you don't understand how someone has a different sense of humour than you.

I'd recommend Mitch Hedberg, Dane Cook, Dave Attell, or Brian Regan, all very good and a lot of original material, in my opinion.

Guest Bluesman

Well since he has the highest debuting comedy CD since Steve Martin, I'd have to say somebody thinks he's funny. Don't act like your opinion is the ONE opinion, because when someone does that, he's obviously got some appeal. If you don't like him, that's fine, say that, if you don't think he's funny, say that, don't say it like you don't understand how someone has a different sense of humour than you.

I'd recommend Mitch Hedberg, Dane Cook, Dave Attell, or Brian Regan, all very good and a lot of original material, in my opinion.

Dave Attell's CD is "Skanks For The Memories" and he has two DVDs out that I know of: The Insomniac Tour and Hey, Your Mouth's Not Pregnant. Black also have has a very funny post-Janet Jackson at the Super Bowl CD out called "Luther Burbank Performing Arts Center Blues" as well as a myriad of DVDs (three that I know of, two of which worth owning: "Unleashed" which has his early Daily Show work and his Comedy Central Presents footage, and "Black On Broadway", his HBO special.)

Mitch Hedberg's "Mitch All-Together" also features a DVD with his Comedy Central work, one of which is uncensored (he was being called off stage, but opted to stay on for a bit longer b/c he and the crowd were really starting to warm up to one another.)

Bill Hicks - Relentless

There's been a new Bill Hicks DVD released, entitled "Sane Man". It features his first stand-up performance, as well as some general stuff pre-"Dangerous". I highly suggest "Satirist, Social Critic, Stand Up Comedian" more, though, as it features his "Dangerous" performance along with the biography. Very well done and very funny.

Hedberg sucks, how anyone can find anything he says as funny is beyond me. Maybe they're on more drugs than he was.

Admittedly, Hedberg is an acquired taste, and is better listened to than watched. He was the next coming of Steven Wright, although I felt Hedberg's material was much better. Unlike Wright, though, he would actually get into what he was saying once he warmed up to the crowd.

Is it me or is Dane Cook highly overrated? I have been watching him for years, through Comedy Central and various other comedy outlets, and some stuff he does/says is humerous, but somehow he just blew up in to this overrated comedian overnight.

I watched his Comedy Central special or whatever and I was just confused at how he could be as popular as he is when his entire act was more or less just "hey, look, I'm loud! I make crazy facial expressions, look at my crazy facial expressions!" I heard a bit he did on shopping at a supermarket or something that was rather funny, but that's it.