Comedy on CD/Tape/DVD

Buford Ripley

Don't listen to the uptight Brits, get Dane Cook's Retaliation, it's quite good and is two CDs with on hour each. There's going to be something you like on it. Otherwise I'd say go with Lewis Black.

Seems like its the US posters who mainly don't like him to be honest.

And on what they've said, he doesn't sound overly good to be honest. I'll stick with Bill Bailey and his ilk.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched his Comedy Central special or whatever and I was just confused at how he could be as popular as he is when his entire act was more or less just "hey, look, I'm loud! I make crazy facial expressions, look at my crazy facial expressions!" I heard a bit he did on shopping at a supermarket or something that was rather funny, but that's it.

I will probably catch some flack for this, but this description for Dane Cook (who I think is decent, but not noteworthy) is very similar to how I would describe Carlos Mencia. Everything Mencia done, I've seen Dennis Leary, George Carlin or Black do better. The only redeeming quality I can find in Mencia's work is its fairness. The best example of that is his bit concerning the wheelchair-bound kid and the roller coasters. Aside from that, his act is at best fourth behind those comics mentioned earlier.

I watched his Comedy Central special or whatever and I was just confused at how he could be as popular as he is when his entire act was more or less just "hey, look, I'm loud! I make crazy facial expressions, look at my crazy facial expressions!" I heard a bit he did on shopping at a supermarket or something that was rather funny, but that's it.

I will probably catch some flack for this, but this description for Dane Cook (who I think is decent, but not noteworthy) is very similar to how I would describe Carlos Mencia. Everything Mencia done, I've seen Dennis Leary, George Carlin or Black do better. The only redeeming quality I can find in Mencia's work is its fairness. The best example of that is his bit concerning the wheelchair-bound kid and the roller coasters. Aside from that, his act is at best fourth behind those comics mentioned earlier.

Carlos Mencia fucking sucks. It's like watching that bit from The Simpsons with the stand-up comedian who is like "Now, white men drive like this... but black men drive like THIS." This in and of itself wouldn't be that bad, except Mencia is dedicated to reminding you over and over and over again that he is ever-so edgy. And by "edgy" he means he makes the most obvious jokes regarding race and whatever possible.

a few that weren't mentioned

DVD

Eddie Izzard - Dress to Kill

I can't believe I forgot Izzard. That said, I'd recommend Circle or Glorious over Dress To Kill. You can't really go wrong, though.

Well since he has the highest debuting comedy CD since Steve Martin, I'd have to say somebody thinks he's funny. Don't act like your opinion is the ONE opinion, because when someone does that, he's obviously got some appeal. If you don't like him, that's fine, say that, if you don't think he's funny, say that, don't say it like you don't understand how someone has a different sense of humour than you.

Edited by YI

If you can track down any DVDs of The Amazing Johnathon....get them.

CDs:

Lewis Black - The White Album, Rules of Enragement

Mitch Hedberg - Stratigic Grill Locations, Mitch All Together

Daniel Tosh - True Stories I Made Up

Dane Cook - Harmful If Swallowed (I haven't heard the new one, but this one is hilarious)

Anything by Jim Gaffigan.

Guest Grapehead

Is it me or is Dane Cook highly overrated? I have been watching him for years, through Comedy Central and various other comedy outlets, and some stuff he does/says is humerous, but somehow he just blew up in to this overrated comedian overnight.

Is it me or is Dane Cook highly overrated? I have been watching him for years, through Comedy Central and various other comedy outlets, and some stuff he does/says is humerous, but somehow he just blew up in to this overrated comedian overnight.

How do you figure his CDs sell so well, if he depends on people seeing his facial expression? You're wrong with this description of Dane Cook. He may be unfunny to some, but he doesn't rely on facial expression. He is indeed loud, and a lot might come from that, but I can think of maybe 3 or 4 jokes that revolve around a facial expression, maybe.

Pretty much pick up the Insomniac Tour on DVD, Dane Cook, Dave Attell, Greg Giraldo(sp?), and some other guy. Mainly suggesting it for the first two, but Giraldo is reasonably funny and I've never seen the other guy before. If something on that DVD doesn't make you laugh, you're broken.

-_-

Guest Grapehead

How do you figure his CDs sell so well, if he depends on people seeing his facial expression? You're wrong with this description of Dane Cook. He may be unfunny to some, but he doesn't rely on facial expression. He is indeed loud, and a lot might come from that, but I can think of maybe 3 or 4 jokes that revolve around a facial expression, maybe.

Pretty much pick up the Insomniac Tour on DVD, Dane Cook, Dave Attell, Greg Giraldo(sp?), and some other guy. Mainly suggesting it for the first two, but Giraldo is reasonably funny and I've never seen the other guy before. If something on that DVD doesn't make you laugh, you're broken.

-_-

Well there's 4 comedians doing their stand-up acts, all very different, so my comment is just, don't be a fucking tool.

Flaming, lovely.

And my point is, if people can not find him funny, it's likely they'll not find three other people funny. So, it's hardly being broken to have a different opinion.

No way he's overrated. It always looks like the jokes pop into his head on stage instead of it being rehearsed. I saw Stephen Lynch and he tried to be funny because the people in the crowd didnt really like his songs, he was not funny at all. He did really lame stuff I could do as well to be honest. Dane Cook does the humour I like, he's great. But everybody has there own personal fav's.

You're saying he's funny because he can improvise? All stand-up comedians should be able to improvise, it should be par to the course, but the majority of American comics can't, because so many American comedy clubs ban heckling, so the comedians never get the learning process that they really should. It's a sorry state of affairs that you can give that as a reason why we should like a comedian. It's like saying "you need to like this band, they play instruments and everything!"

And I stand by original statement that, from what I've heard, Dane Cook is decidedly unfunny. He does my kind of humour, but he does it badly. He sticks to observational humour too much, which is almost always dire when it's done by anyone who isn't called Bill Hicks, and when he does venture into surrealism, it's ridiculously forced and over-embellished to the point of not being funny any more.

He's just an American poor man's Rob Newman.

Edited by Skumfrog

If you can find a way to obtain it, I highly recommend I'm Sorry Folks by Bill Hicks. While it's not as good as his other performances, it still shows the things comedians have to deal with when it comes to hecklers.

Plus Bill yelling "I'm a drunk cunt!" is pretty funny.