Revolution Renamed...

Vilge Duin

The part I found most interesting:

Wedbush Morgan Securities' Michael Pachter was more mixed in his assessment. "My initial reaction, of course, is that the name is dumb," he bluntly stated. "However, upon reflection, I thought that the name Game Boy was dumb, REALLY thought that the name Xbox was dumb, and can't even recall my reaction to PlayStation. Let's face it, devices with cool names like Dreamcast and Gizmondo fail, and the lame names seem to do well."

To counter that opinion, I offer this piece of evidence, the Turbo Grafix 16 never did well, and that's the worst name for a console ever. Well, until Wii.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The part I found most interesting:

Wedbush Morgan Securities' Michael Pachter was more mixed in his assessment. "My initial reaction, of course, is that the name is dumb," he bluntly stated. "However, upon reflection, I thought that the name Game Boy was dumb, REALLY thought that the name Xbox was dumb, and can't even recall my reaction to PlayStation. Let's face it, devices with cool names like Dreamcast and Gizmondo fail, and the lame names seem to do well."

Edited by oldskool

Guest We Are Robots

I like it. It's all-inclusive. It means everyone, it's a name that can appeal to everyone. The X-Box is an obvious attempt at sounding 'cool' to young males, and if they had chosen a name like that, well, all the young males would like it, but what they were trying to do... make a console that appeals to everyone, young and old, males and females... would've been lost.

Trust me, as soon as Red Steel comes out there won't be much doubt as to how cool the Wii will be.

I like it. It's all-inclusive. It means everyone, it's a name that can appeal to everyone. The X-Box is an obvious attempt at sounding 'cool' to young males, and if they had chosen a name like that, well, all the young males would like it, but what they were trying to do... make a console that appeals to everyone, young and old, males and females... would've been lost.

Trust me, as soon as Red Steel comes out there won't be much doubt as to how cool the Wii will be.

Guest We Are Robots

It's the letter X. It's supposed to mean, "EXTREME Box!!" And I think we're all sick of 'extreme' being used in marketing. Playstation is just bland as a name. By the time E3 rolls around and we all see all the sweet games, Wii will just be like saying iPod or Google or Yahoo (I distinctly remember a lot of yahoo-to-vagina/sex jokes back when it was first surging in popularity). Google was a really weird and awkward name at one time.

At the least, suddenly, all the attention is on Nintendo and their console... they say there is no such thing as bad publicity.

I never knew that about the x standing for extreme. I personally consider an extreme box to be one with a spoiler and wings.

Like I said earlier I don't think it's a bad move as far as its effect on the gaming community but I can't see it helping Nintendo with the non-gamers. Although like you said it has certainly got tongues wagging.

The Dolphin's already out. It's the GameCube.

I knew Nintendo would change the name (they have to everything in the past before) I just wish they would have kept Revolution. I still don't get how the so called "industry analyst" gets how the name Revolution and Xbox 360 even have a relation.

Eh well, as long as the games are good then all is good. Most game systems honestly do have ridiculous names. Nintendo's simply trying to reach out to those people that don't already play games... and ya never know, they may very well succeed.

Well, a 360 is a revolution, but back to what was before. Nintendo's revolution was a changing of the playing field and revolutionization of the gaming world. Now, you're inviting over your friends to sit on the couch and enjoy a Wii. Nothing revolutionary anymore.

Guest We Are Robots

"Playstation" could concievably be used as a euphamism for penis, but now that I think about it, what really sounds dirty is a girl saying she's going to play with her X-Box.

I think a lot of people are making this worse than it seems. IPod probably sounded like an awful name for an MP3 player, but look what it has become. Like most Nintendo ideas, you just gotta sit back and watch where they take this one.

it's like since the poor reception of the GameCube, Nintendo's been doing everything in their power to fail commercially!

it's like since the poor reception of the GameCube, Nintendo's been doing everything in their power to fail commercially!

But that's dumb; they haven't done anything wrong with the DS. And they had something interesting with the Revolution, and they still do, except with an awful name now.

They haven't done anything wrong with the DS, granted, but boy do the games suck. I'm glad I only borrowed it from my friend when I was thinking of buying one. The touchscreen crap is well, crap, me and my friend scoured the local places for some games that actually use it well instead of shit like "oh your map's on this screen and the game's on this screen!" blah blah blah.

eh whatever, I'm already pretty dispapointed with Nintendo, RELEASE TWILIGHT PRINCESS ALREADY :@