The Game Concepts You Can't Stand

Benji

Guest We Are Robots

Kingdom Hearts definately needs to die. Being a big Disney hater, I will not play the game no matter how fun it supposedly is, and wish the idea should've been shit on by everyone, not embraced and excused. Oh well.

I also really hate realistic racing games, that are just impossible to play because you spin out all the time or can't keep control. Screw that. Arcade-style or Kart-style for me, thanks.

Let's see, what else... ahh... most realistic sports games. I like the arcadey stuff sometimes, like the Street series, NBA Jam, NFL Blitz, those kinds of things. But not liking to watch sports much means I don't give a crap about all this realism sim stuff. Just make it fun to play.

Real-time strategy games too. That's bullshit, that's not strategy, that's just being able to do things quickly. I'm great at turn-based strategy, like the Tactics and Wars series and Civilization, but RTS can suck on my balls.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say RPG's for the most part. I like a good story, but it just gets dull to me, especialyl leveling up. The only RPG I ever enjoyed with Mario RPG, which set the bar far too high.

Racing games don't really interest me, although whenever I play them I do really good. Perhaps that's the problem, but yeah.

Fighting Games are not as good at keeping my attention as when I was younger. They feel too limited for me now.

Oh, and I actually enjoy golf video games. I never exspect too, but they seem to amuseme a great deal for reasons I cannot comprehend.

Guest Bluesman

WWII shooters. UGH.

Fighting games, ala Tekken. I find them boring and pointless, and have since I fell out of love with MK.

Fighting games, ala Matrix: Path of Neo. It's not so much the concept I can't stand, it's just that it doesn't hold my interest. As much as I enjoy playing it, there just isn't that nagging urge to play the game that I get with others.

Racing games. Maybe it's my hatred for racing, or my suckiness at it. I got GT 4 and liked it, but haven't touched it since I got stuck on one part. I play games for fun, not for some challenge that I feel redeems myself as a human being.

FPSes, fucking repetitive, ugh.

MMORPGs too, unless they offer something unique they're the same boring shit, level up, buy armour, level a couple times, buy new armour and weapons, run quests for townspeople, booo-ring. And 99% of the time they have no storyline whatosever.

Guest clintcasey

I'm surprised how many times RPGs have shown up, usualy its because people sometimes wait around and try to level up alot, but the truth is I've never had this problem myself, at least not in the last 10 years. I know what the cause is though. The problem is people tend to run away from battles too much. If you will just go threw the game and never run from fights unless your about to loose you should never have to just hang around and try to level up before you can move on.

Also having beaten Mario RPG Let me just say Hajjhowe, while a decent game, Mario RPG barly even touched the bar. It was designed for Newbies, and most if not all of its good features where taken directly from Square's games and made to look like Mario. FF VII was without a doubt the game that set the bar too high for most RPGs to keep up for years. The Bar was moved again a few years ago, twice actualy. First when FFX came out and it did it again when Knight of the Old Republic came out. KoToR is especialy influencial because it marked the return of more open ended storylines, and the return of American RPGs to mainstream gamming.

Mario RPG on the other hand was a glorified platformer with RPGs elements put in and 3D sprites.

I fucking love FFX's battle system though. Mainly just the switching characters in and out thing, I wouldn't mind FFVII doing that with materia and shit still.

As for games I can't stand it would probably be the strategy type. Not because I don't like them, it's just that I seem to have ADD with games.

FFX and FFVII set the bar? Gimme a break. There hasn't been a mind-blowing, flat-out amazing Final Fantasy since VI. That one not only set the bar for FF, it set the bar for all RPGs. FFIX was pretty badass though. Still, no RPG (or any genre really) has ever touched Chrono Trigger in terms of story and gameplay.

Guest clintcasey

FFX and FFVII set the bar? Gimme a break. There hasn't been a mind-blowing, flat-out amazing Final Fantasy since VI. That one not only set the bar for FF, it set the bar for all RPGs. FFIX was pretty badass though. Still, no RPG (or any genre really) has ever touched Chrono Trigger in terms of story and gameplay.

It's not that I hate FPS's but I've yet to see a one with a truly great story. I mean, all these Conflict *Insert Random War the US Were In Here* games don't even have any rewards at the end and give me no incentive to play them.

But I despise strategy games; it may just be because I'm terrible at them but I've never actually felt the need to sit and think that much about a game. I know in action games, you have to figure out puzzles and the like but I've never wanted to sit and place troops or what have you at a certain point to take a certain group out.

I'd argue that FF VII did set the bar for second generation RPG games, whether it was actually the best FF game overall.

Again, it's debateble whether FF VII was even the best second generation RPG, but it has the biggest consensual backing, and there was nothing much like it when it came out.

Oh, and Zero had the right idea with the Chrono Trigger love

FPS, definitely. I've had little use for the genre since Doom first came out and then later enjoyed Rogue Spear for the teamwork aspect and the advances in sound and graphics, but it's mostly a dead end genre to me. Hamster put it most succinctly above.

I'm also done with fighting games since the original Mortal Kombat and Primal Rage. I like the occasional wrestling game, but most fighting games are either memorization of "left-right-up-X-B-right..." etc. or mindless button mashing. Yawn.

That being said, I'm a sucker for micromanagement games (hence my undying love for EWR and Railroad Tycoon and the like). RPGs and RTS all depend on storyline for me. I can get into a good background, but the gameplay tends to be all the same, and I've found most of the RPGs people go nuts over to be half-baked Jap-crap about saving the mana tree of life or some other metaphysical bullshit. I'll take GTA's open mission system over Final Fantasy quests to find the stable boy's sister anyday.

To me this is hard because I play everything(yeah, golf games and fishing games too). But lately it has been RTS....I love those games, Starcraft is one of my all time favorites, but it seems that every single new RTS is the same and it kinda bores me.

It's not that I don't LIKE them, but I'm NO good at First Person Shooter's, as I just can't seem to consitently hit anything without getting right up next to it and getting killed myself. One of the things I'm looking forward to about the Wii is increased ease of use for these kinds of games.

Guest clintcasey

Well, are you talking about PC first person shooters, or Console because they each play differently. On consoles reaction times or slower and it takes longer to line up a shot but on a mouse you generaly have more sensitivity and you can line your shots up faster. Theres a huge difference between Halo and Half-life after all.