The Game Concepts You Can't Stand

Benji

"(Insert Character name Here) is a (bounty hunter/martial artist/cop/cool fighting-related job here) with the ability to (insert some sort of mystical ability here, usually involving a sword of some sort.)"

Usually the games themselves are perfectly fine, but the setup is so hackneyed.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Although I love WoW, I hate the concept of the MMORPG. You just shouldn't have to pay for a game after buying it, especially when the WoW servers tend to be shaky at best so it's not like all the money really appears to be helping the game experience.

Guest clintcasey

Theres actualy a few games that are like that but I wouldn't recomend Guild Wars. You see essentialy what happened is when they intitaly started the game they only had X-amount of all the equipment in the game that you could buy and the shops that make them create more slowly over time. Well what happened is there where a few people who managed to get rich quickly and they bought out all the equipment from the NPC shops so now if you want the buy weapons you'll most likely have to buy them from them and they make a huge proffit. Basicly the first people who got rich in that game are going to be the only people to get rich in that game.

All this talk of the FF series without mention of FFVIII saddens me.

It clearly had the best story of any FF game and while the battle system might not be on a par with say FFX, it's still my favourite.

I'm also surprised that FFVII has been backed so highly as the best of the lot. FFX, VIII and IX are all far better in my opinion.

It clearly had the best story of any FF game and while the battle system might not be on a par with say FFX, it's still my favourite.

I'm also surprised that FFVII has been backed so highly as the best of the lot. FFX, VIII and IX are all far better in my opinion.

Agreed, the trouble was it didn't really kick off until Disc 2, and by then many people had seemingly given up.

Agreed, the trouble was it didn't really kick off until Disc 2, and by then many people had seemingly given up.

This is true, although I think that's what made it so great. I mean, the entire first disc was spent building up the background to the story, so when it all kicked off after the prison bit you were really drawn into it. At least, I was anyway.

I can honestly say I don't think there's ever been a game with such excellent character development. Not just with Squall, Rinoa, Seifer etc. but even with the more minor characters like Cid, Norg or Raine. All of them had impressive story arcs to them.

I couldn't stand the FF8 story, and I've played it through a few times. So much of it just seemed tacked on and forced, and nothing about it was interesting. And the whole "Erm...GFs affect your memory. But we didn't tell you that before" explanation just seemed like a cop-out.

FFT had the best storyline of any game with Final Fantasy attached to it. Shame that got raped in translation.

FFVIII from a writing standpoint was great, but it took so... damn.... loooong to get going. Fortunately the Junction system was enjoyable enough to keep me playing.

Edited by damshow

SPOILERS.............

I kinda hate the ending to VIII and prefer the begining by far. I enjoy chasing Edea but as soon as Ultimica comes into it it becomes a bit silly, time compression e.t.c and she seems to have no real reason for doing it. She's the least developed character and yet the main baddy which makes little sense to me. And having just played VII again it's a great story but it's hard to get you head around everything in the story and some things can still leave you baffled at the end.

X on the other hand for me has the best characters development and storyline throughout with a great sad ending too. And a great battle system.

Edited by Visionary

Yeah, it's a cliché, but I think FF7 has the best story, by far. It's just so fucking deep, you can play it through a hundred times and not get it all. The whole Cloud/Sephiroth/JENOVA relationship by itself is just brilliant, in my eyes. Of all the FF games, it's got the best combination of playability and storyline.

I can't understand people saying FF8 has the best story. The story is terrible. It seems like it's been made up as it went along. The earliest part is generic fantasy meets teen angst, as I said earlier, the "GF = memory loss" explanation just seems like a cheap cop-out to fill in some plot holes, the whole Sorceress thing is just ridiculous. It would have been alright with just Edea, but when she suddenly becomes a good guy, and practically a footnote in the rest of the game, and Ultimecia becomes your enemy for reasons that are never fully explained, it just gets horrible. Couple that with a dull and tedious battle and magic system, an unlikable main character, and a "plot" that travels at a snail's pace half the time and darts between points that are completely irrelevant and just seem made up on the spot the rest of the time, and (short of some nice FMVs), FF8 had nothing to offer me as a Final Fantasy game.