SEMI-REGULAR MUSIC POLL #1: Who is better?

Liam

With me wanting to get a little bit of music chat going, I've decided I'd occasionally put up a poll, asking people various music related questions, just for a bit of fun.

So, I begin with a simple one....who is the best out of Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax? All four made it big in the 80's playing thrash metal and have gone on to have varying degrees of success.

Simply put, this ISN'T how good they are NOW...this is how good they have been consistently from the 80's till now. So if you hate new Slayer, but think the old stuff smokes the other 3's whole back catalogue, then vote Slayer.

::::Edit::::

This Poll Is Now Closed. The Final Results Are...

Which is the best band of these four?

Metallica [ 32 ] ** [61.54%]

Slayer [ 10 ] ** [19.23%]

Anthrax [ 2 ] ** [3.85%]

Megadeth [ 8 ] ** [15.38%]

The Thread Will Remain Open For Discussion.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gonna have to go with Metallica on this one. They just went from strength to strength, Kill 'Em All to Ride The Lightning to Master of Puppets, that's 3 of the best metal albums, never mind the best Metallica ones. ...And Justice For All's also pretty damn strong. Slayer are really quite repetitive to me, you've heard a few of their songs, you've heard them all. Megadeth I've always found to be overrated, and Anthrax just aren't quite as good as Metallica. Just my opinions of course, but that's really what this was all about.

Metallica > The other 3.

Slayer are way over rated imo.

I've never been into Slayer, really, so I won't judge them. I like Megadeth and Anthrax, but when I listen to them a lot, they start to sound repeatitive. Metallica, on the other hand, while you can agrue they weren't the best, always kept it original. Most of their tunes had a distinctive sound and for me it's nearly impossible to listen to a shit load of Metallica with it eventually all sounding the same (that was an awkward sentence, but you get what I mean)... Which is what usually happens when I listen to Anthrax and Megadeth. Not knocking them, because I do indeed love both bands, just in smaller doses.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

I've never been a thrash fan. It's simplistic and predictable enough to get you going at live gigs, but I've never bothered with buying the records (yes, I know this sounds ironic coming from an avid grind fan :shifty:)

That being said, I would give the nod to Slayer, for the simple fact that out of these four I got most bruised at their gig and I dig more of their stuff than I do any of the other's. I mark out for "Reign In Blood" like any stereotypical Slayer fanboy, and I also dig "Seasons In The Abyss" immensely. I dig Anthrax live, but can't be arsed to look for records. Megadeth I just plain don't like, and Metallica sounds a-OK. Nothing groundbreaking to me, however.

For anyone interested, my vote went to Metallica.

I like Anthrax, but I'm not a huge fan, I don't really like Megadeth, Slayer are great, but Metallica are Metallica, and there are no Slayer albums that even come close to "Master Of Puppets", "Ride The Lightning" or "The Black Album". Sure, they've gone down the shitter recently, but thier back catalogue speaks for itself.

Slayer > Everyone else

Slayer is easily my favourite of the four, due to the wicked songs, and them being pure unadultrated metal.

Next up is Metallica, whom I also am a big fan of. Anthrax is next, but I'm not a very big fan of them. Megadeath brings up the rear for sucking something fierce.

Holy shit. This is the hardest poll.. like... ever... EVER.

Metallica are Metallica. I mean, they are Metal music. (The clue is in the name) They are the band that influenced every band since their inception. Everyone wants to be in Metallica. Every band says they play music because of Metallica. Everyone owns Master of Puppets. Because Master of Puppets owns.

When Metallica are good... Metallica are awesome.

However, when they're bad... they are really quite bad. Which is how we get to Megadeth...

Megadeth will never top out higher than Metallica. Ever, but they have been consistantly good throughout every inception and every album, including The System Has Failed. Which is one of my favorite modern metal albums. They play great metal, and always will. They'll never be as bad as Metallicas worst, but they'll never be better than Metallicas best.

Slayer have done some awesome stuff, they created Reign In Blood. Which was the definitive thrash metal album. However, what else have they done that really lives up to that? I mean, all the other albums were good as well.... but none will ever be as good as Reign in Blood.

People can and do argue about Metallicas albums. Everyone has an opinion about the best Metallica album, same as Megadeth... but everyone knows the best Slayer album is Reign in Blood. It's a great album.. but it's not enough to propel them above the previous two.

Anthrax are the band I know least about. I saw them a few weeks ago and it was immense. I won't talk in too much depth because I only own one CD, although I've listened to a half dozen my friend lent me. It's awesome stuff. And they get extra points because they INVENTED RAP METAL.

They INVENTED it. BEFORE I WAS BORN. How insane is that?

So yeah. It's between Megadeth and Metallica for me, and the edge goes to Metallica, simply because they represent Metal in a way that no other band ever has or ever will.

Ironically Metallica are also the only band in this poll I've never seen live.

Slayer win. They've been consistently far better than the rest.

Metallica are far from a great band, even Master Of Puppets is an average metal album, and Lars Ulrich is one of the most over-rated drummers in history. They're just dull, formulaic, and not all that interesting. They don't deserve to win this at all. There isn't a single song that they've put out that even approaches the better songs of Slayer. The only reason they got the success they did is because when they came along, the really wasn't much alternative. If you wanted metal, you had hair metal. If you wanted your metal aggressive...you had Metallica. Everything else was too underground at that point.

I couldn't give a toss who they've influenced, because most of who they've influenced has been shite.

Repeat pretty much all of that for Megadeth. Dull. Formulaic. Over-rated. Right place, right time. Now, add irritating egotistical ginger frontman with a stupid voice, even more clichéd lyrics, and an even more blindly devoted fanbase. Worst band on the list.

Anthrax deserve credit for what they did with Public Enemy. Beyond that, dull, and can't hold my interest.

Slayer, I like. I'm not a big thrash fan at all, but they're far superior than everything else on this list.

So, allow me to conclude with the sentiment that Grind > Thrash, and Napalm Death owns every band on the list.

EDIT:

People can and do argue about Metallicas albums. Everyone has an opinion about the best Metallica album, same as Megadeth... but everyone knows the best Slayer album is Reign in Blood. It's a great album.. but it's not enough to propel them above the previous two.

I don't think I've ever argued about which is the best Megadeth album with anyone, but have been in and/or witnessed several arguments about Slayer's. In my experience, there are as many people that like Seasons In The Abyss as there are like Reign In Blood, at least. I have no opinion on any Megadeth album, because I can hardly even tell them apart, but I have opinions on Slayer albums. My opinions on Metallica albums are basically just debating when they stopped being average and started being bad.

Edited by Skumfrog

Ironically Metallica are also the only band in this poll I've never seen live.

Which you should as they are the greatest live act in the history of music.

Seconded

Slayer win. They've been consistently far better than the rest.

Metallica are far from a great band, even Master Of Puppets is an average metal album, and Lars Ulrich is one of the most over-rated drummers in history. They're just dull, formulaic, and not all that interesting. They don't deserve to win this at all. There isn't a single song that they've put out that even approaches the better songs of Slayer. The only reason they got the success they did is because when they came along, the really wasn't much alternative. If you wanted metal, you had hair metal. If you wanted your metal aggressive...you had Metallica. Everything else was too underground at that point.

I couldn't give a toss who they've influenced, because most of who they've influenced has been shite.

Repeat pretty much all of that for Megadeth. Dull. Formulaic. Over-rated. Right place, right time. Now, add irritating egotistical ginger frontman with a stupid voice, even more clichéd lyrics, and an even more blindly devoted fanbase. Worst band on the list.

Anthrax deserve credit for what they did with Public Enemy. Beyond that, dull, and can't hold my interest.

Slayer, I like. I'm not a big thrash fan at all, but they're far superior than everything else on this list.

So, allow me to conclude with the sentiment that Grind > Thrash, and Napalm Death owns every band on the list.

EDIT:

I don't think I've ever argued about which is the best Megadeth album with anyone, but have been in and/or witnessed several arguments about Slayer's. In my experience, there are as many people that like Seasons In The Abyss as there are like Reign In Blood, at least. I have no opinion on any Megadeth album, because I can hardly even tell them apart, but I have opinions on Slayer albums. My opinions on Metallica albums are basically just debating when they stopped being average and started being bad.

Yeah, I prefer Grind to Thrash, but this one made the most sense to start off with. And I'd say that other than Seasons Of Abyss or Reign In Blood, people don't tend to argue for much of thier other stuff, whilst Metallica have about 5 albums that I've heard varying people consider the best. Doesn't make them any better, naturally, but to me it makes Slayer look like a two trick pony.

And bands Slayer have influenced are generally naff as well.