PS3 Pricing Unveiled

AJ

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not just 40gb though, according to engadget and this image:

ps3spec2.jpg

If you buy the 20gb version you don't get wifi, a memory card reader or HD output.

Guest clintcasey

It's not just 40gb though, according to engadget and this image:

ps3spec2.jpg

If you buy the 20gb version you don't get wifi, a memory card reader or HD output.

Well, this certainly makes it easier to stay away from the first gen model. That's usually a smart thing with any electronic product. I'll wait for a price drop and get this, FFXIII, and MGS4 and be in heaven.

That said, after the Press Conferences the Wii has moved to the top of my "wanted console list". Something about it has me in love.

Edited by damshow

Its amazed me the differences in problems people have with PS2's. Me, my friend Alex and my brother-in-law all got PS2's the day they came out. Me and my brother-in-law got ours at the same store, my friend got his at Walmart. Since then, my friend has gone through three PS2's, my brother in law has had about 5, and I'm still on my original.

I believe the Nintendo's is more in the form of a laser of the top of the controller which would determine where you were pointing it, and where it was being moved.

The PS3 sounds more like it senses what sort of movements you are making with your hands, which is entirely different.

EDIT: From what I gathered about the Nintendo controller (haven't paid much attention to the Wii) is that it was a modified laser gun in the form of a controller.

Edited by Quom

Guest clintcasey

I believe the Nintendo's is more in the form of a laser of the top of the controller which would determine where you were pointing it, and where it was being moved.

The PS3 sounds more like it senses what sort of movements you are making with your hands, which is entirely different.

EDIT: From what I gathered about the Nintendo controller (haven't paid much attention to the Wii) is that it was a modified laser gun in the form of a controller.

Couldn't be further from the truth. Nintendo's is motion sensing, beyond that I can guarantee that it will be more than the 6 directions that the Sony controller will be doing. I'm pissed that they are sticking with the Dual Shock controller (my hands are too big for some games) I'm also pissed that they have removed the rumble from the controller (especially since they have done so just so they could also have motion sensing which won't work for shit). It's going to be cheaper than expected but I'm currently not planning on buying any next gen consoles until they come down in price or I get a job that pays well enough for a HD television as well as the console.

The Nintendo Wii system wont break $200 it looks like. Buy it.

$200 is a great price if the system will actually have games. Although with the recent Nintendo pattern, you can expect the worst of the three multi-platform games, and hardly any awesome third-party exclusives. Sure, I love playing Mario, Zelda, and Metroid as much as the next guy, but three games aren't worth $200. Just like I'll be waiting until the price comes down to get a 360 or a PS3, I'll be waiting until Nintendo proves they actually have some games behind their bargain-priced console.

As of right now, I'm entirely unimpressed with the next generation of console gaming. The XBox 360 is basically the XBox 1.5, the PS3 is ridiculously expensive, and the Wii's big gimmick of motion sensitivity has been stolen by Sony. Nintendo seems the most screwed out of all of this because motion-sensitive controller would have got some attention from, at the very least, curious developers. But now, they can take these projects and put them on the PS3, which will most likely have the larger user-base.

Edited by Zero

Guest clintcasey

That is true to an extent. But PS3 controler can't acheive it to the degree that the Nintendo controler can. Its much more clumsy and can only detect six degrees of tilt. The new Nintendo system seems to be able to take advantage of that at a much greater level. Sony blatenly stole their idea from Nintendo and then it seems they wheren't able to pull it off nearly as well as Nintendo has. In any case I'm in wait and see mode with both of them.

Sony's controller has a tilt sensor, which is all in-built into the controller. Nintendo's controller uses an external infra-red sensor to detect the exact position of the controller in space and can also detect what direction you move it, how fast you move it etc.

If you watch the press conferences, you'll see the difference. Sony's was being used to steer a craft by leaning the pad left and right, wheras Nintendo's was being used as a replica of a tennis racket.

No plans to get any next-gen consoles for me at the moment, I'm quite happy to stick with my Xbox, especially with the prices of games seemingly in freefall. My bro's got a 360 though, and although it looks good, it's not my type of thing at the moment. Although some of the Wii stuff did look very fun to play, I'd rather put money towards a laptop at this moment in time, as that would be of more use to me.

The way I see it, the Wii controllers will work kind of like an eye toy. Whereas the PS3 pad (which is very much like the old ones, thank god) works on how the pad is tilted. So your parents and girlfriends who you used to laugh at because they tilt the pad all over the place during racing games will suddenly become very good at it.

I did have pictures of both but I deleted my history and can't find them again.

I might get a PS3, but I'll be waiting till they come down in price anyways (I didn't get a say in the matter).

I don't mind because I don't play my consoles all that much, so I don't need to shell out so much. Still, don't want an X-Box 360 and I wouldn't even consider a Nintendo.

I got my PS2 the Christmas they came out, it's been hammered with games for phases then sometimes doesn't get used for a month or so. Yet mine is fine, the worst I've had is "Disk Read Error" where I just clear anything behind it and try again and it's fine.

I've been through about 6 controllors because of how hotheaded I could be :P Still, don't see how people can go through so many :-\

Guest clintcasey

Actualy I watched the Sony Conference completely last night. Granted the game they used to show it off with is still not in its final version yet, but that controler didn't have nearly the sensitivity that it needs to do things right. Having designed a few games myself while the contoler seems to give you direction it dosn't give you sensitivity in the given direction. So what you end up with is a controler that only fires on or off in whatever direction you tilt it in.

Watch the path that the plane flys in more closely. The movements of the plane where static, if he turns to the side it always turned to the side in the same angle. When he pulled back the plane always gained alititude at the same angle. So while the contler could determine the direction the designer wanted to go, it couldn't determine weither he wanted to go in that direction either a little bit, or alot.

everywhere i look I hear people bashing Sony for the PS3 price and etc. What you have to understand is that this isn't just a new gaming system this is new technology your buying so the price is going to be a little highter , plus you have to take in the hardrive .

if Sony would have left out the harddrive then people would complain . I most likely won't get it at launch as to let them work out any bugs there might be.

I'm really glad they decided to stick with the dual shock design . Don't really care that the vibration is gone either , never really used it to be honest.

I see the whole tilt sensor deal as a shot at Nintendo , but it is different that the wii's controller so copyright issues shouldn't be a problem.

The Wii is unique , but i feel the controller isn't going to be all that its made up to be. If nintendo can get a lot of 3rd party support then they might stand a chance and I might actually think of buying the system but if they keep pushing Mario and such down my throat I won't

I see the whole tilt sensor deal as a shot at Nintendo , but it is different that the wii's controller so copyright issues shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by --J--

The Nintendo Wii system wont break $200 it looks like. Buy it.

$200 is a great price if the system will actually have games. Although with the recent Nintendo pattern, you can expect the worst of the three multi-platform games, and hardly any awesome third-party exclusives. Sure, I love playing Mario, Zelda, and Metroid as much as the next guy, but three games aren't worth $200. Just like I'll be waiting until the price comes down to get a 360 or a PS3, I'll be waiting until Nintendo proves they actually have some games behind their bargain-priced console.

Well, you do have a virtually endless library of NES, SNES, N64, and games from other other systems. Plus, there are some pretty sweet looking games if you ask me.

SSB: Brawl

Metroid Prime 3

Twilight Princess

Red Steel

Elebits

Dragon Quest IX

Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors

Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers

A new Fire Emblem

Metal Slug Anthology

New Metal Slug games apparently

Trauma Center: Second Opinion

But then I guess that comes down to whether or not you like those styles of games or not.

Edited by damshow