"Emo" is the way forward.

Summers

Oh, yeah, I get what you mean. But, I'm saying a lot of bands can only really be described by the term emo, I don't like how "emo" is some sort of insult now, because that takes away from the use of the label.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't even know what limits emo reaches to now, hence my general use of the word emo. I've always seen Panic! labelled as being emo, yet compare them to Brand New, or Taking Back Sunday, or My Chemical Romance, and they sound completely different. So it's so vague, and wide ranged.

DBD, reccomend any particular Bayside songs I could check out?

my personal favorite emo bands are JEW, Hawthorne Heights, AAR (some say they're emo some don't), Something Corporate/Jack's Mannequin, a little bit of AFI, The Academy Is..., The Ataris, My Chemical Romance, damn I have way too many. Basically a trip to myspace and a look on the top artists section will give you a lot of really good "emo" bands.

edit: no I wouldn't consider Sum 41 emo, a little more punk IMO

Edited by TH4L

Funeral For A Friend. Some like 'em, some don't. I do and they are good live. Check 'em out.

I'll support the JEW loving, they are a good band...

Also, check out, a band called Brand New (specifically, an album called "Deja Entendu")

EDIT: Without getting into ridiculous sub-genre talk too much, Fall Out Boy once described themselves as "Softcore" (rofl). "Emo" has it's roots in Hardcore/Post-Hardcore at heart, so... erm... yeah... I don't see FOB as a proper "emo" band. PATD! are only slightly "emo", from the boyish vocal point of view. The actual music side of things I would say was more alt. indie.

For me, FFAF is quite close to a 'pure' emo sound, and as such, I use them as my benchmark for comparison.

My Chemical Romance are a weird cross of a few things, including emo (and a bit of punk/pop-punk also).

Edited by Kid Britain

I like the emo music but im not emo. Honest.

Anyway, what about, FOB, Panic!, Unwritten Law, Co&Ca.

Any one else think Mudvayns is a tad emo? Just in their lyrics?

Somewhere I read that Coheed and Cambria were a prog-like band?

taking back sunday, my chemical romance = pop rock

I consider Hanson, Busted, McFly et al to be Pop-Rock...

Edited by Kid Britain

Somewhere I read that Coheed and Cambria were a prog-like band?

Edited by Krazy_K

Progmo then? Nice. Heard the odd track and wasn't too fussed, but everyone here seems to like 'em, I'll give 'em another go.

If any, check out FFAF from the bands I put forward first. My fav. "emo" band...

Edited by Kid Britain

Saves the Day, Moneen, Jimmy Eat World, Taking Back Sunday, Brand New are some of the emo bands I like. Saves the Day especially. Such a classic band.

I believe bands such as some 311, Death Cab For Cutie, Dashboard Confessional, H.I.M., Matchbook Romance, Relient K, Senses Fail, Stroke 9, The Used, and Yellowcard are all worth checking out as well, and that's just a rough look at some of my play list.

Especially Dashboard, Senses Fail, and Stroke 9. Stroke 9 isn't too commonly known, but their "Rip It Off" CD is awesome.

Edited by Stevie Idol

Panic! At The Disco, Coheed & Cambria, Sunny Day Real Estate, Say Anything (who are sort of emo, I guess), Taking Back Sunday - which you need to get me on the list for, Summers >_>, Thursday, Jimmy Eat World...I'm sure I'll think of more later.