8. Sim City

7. John Madden Football

6. Halo 2

5. Pac-Man

4. Doom

3. Super Mario Bros. 3

2. Grand Theft Auto III

1. World of Warcraft

I definitely don't agree with World of Warcraft being #1 or even on the list at all. Same with Halo 2. In the mag, each game they give a brief reason for, like they say E.T is on the list, because it was the first ever movie licenced game, and thus setting the "curse" of every game based on a movie is horrible.

Discuss.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that Tetris is only #12 on that list instantly makes it have no credibility whatsoever. Tetris was the game that made mobile gaming popular it had a much bigger impact on gaming that World of Warcraft.

Plus, wasn't Guitar Hero just released a couple of months back?

Also, no side scrolling fighter (ala Double Dragon or Streets of Rage) makes this list get a big thumbs down from me

Edited by ADGray

Doom is there, no need for Halo. no Pong or Space Invaders? I actually agree with Guitar Hero, it's really made popular the use of unique controllers in games (I know there's a similar game called guitar Freaks, but it's not hardly nearly the success of GH), and I can see a whole bundle of similar styled games with specific controllers coming out as a result of GH's success.

Was Sonic that revolutionary? Was it like - the first/biggest platform game ever? I mean - Sonic is God and all, but still, didn't realise it was that big.

Oh and I don't think there should be really any sequels on there, may just be me though - other than GTA:3 which was more world changing than Halo to Halo 2.

The reason why Halo 2 was on the list, according to them, because "It had an 'revolutionary' online system." Which I guess is a whole lot better then if they said that the gameplay was "revolutionary."

Everquest or Ultima probably should replace WoW, just because the reasons they gave for WoW, Everquest and Ultima did first. (Stuff about making a succesful MMO etc.)

And although I don't care for the game too much, StarCraft probably should be up there somewhere.

That list is fucking shit.

A lack of Zelda seriously gives me major fucking doubts.

And WoW as number one? Sounds like fanboy bullshit to me.

Guest clintcasey

Wii (geddit?) is Pokemon even on the list, it was hardly revolutionary and was only really so popular based on the popularity of the cartoons.

Edited by clintcasey

10. TETRIS

Tetris was just friggin huge! It still is amazingly popular, in almost the same form as it was released in, and is great for killing time. Tetris is one of the most famous games ever. The music itself is iconic.

9. Doom

Doom did two things. It arguably started the online gaming thing, with it's 4 player death matches. It also made FPS popular. If I remember correctly, there was a time when Doom was said to be the #1 cause for lost time for employees at work, as they would play Doom instead of do there jobs! It is another iconic game, as it is remembered by people who have never played it - and everyone knows what BFG stands for.

8. Sim City

Hello, open ended gaming! Sim City was an amazing game. You could build a city any way you wanted. You could run your city any way you wanted. The next games in the series improved on the concept and added much more depth and some great graphics, but the original Sim City brought creator Will Wright his fame, and it was the originator in the genre.

7. Warcraft

Not the first RTS, arguably not the best, but Warcraft was a solid game with great graphics. I was introduced to computers through this game. It was a fun game to play and was responsible for the RTS explosion. It wasn't the innovator, but it was the game to make RTS games popular and also a dime a dozen.

6. Civilization 2

Like Sim City, Civ2 was open ended. But this was not just a city, but over the whole globe. For a deep and complex strategy game, Civ2 was incredibly easy to play and understand. Plus, you could play several games and never play the same way. You could win through diplomacy, war, or getting the fuck off the planet, but whatever you did, it was easy and fun. Plus, naming all your cities after sex positions is just hilarious.

5. Mortal Kombat

This was a toss up between Street Fighter 2 and this, but I think this game was more responsible for the fighter craze. MK got the media headlines with it's gore, and made a major impact on the world of video games by starting the whole ratings system thingy. Also, I believe this was the first game where you could both rip someones heart out, rip there head off, or send them plunging into a spike filled pit.

4. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater

Holy shit! This game was massive. Fun as hell, easy to get into, good music. But this game was more then a good game - it made skateboarding gigantically popular! After this game came out, almost every kid in school wanted a skateboard. That is an impact.

3. Super Mario Bros.

Mario Bros. is a game that is timeless. It's as fun now as it was then. Simply great. It sold videogaming in massive quantities, so it definitly changed the world. It also showed everyone else how to make a platformer that was good.

2. Grand Theft Auto III

GTA III sparked a huge media outburst. Too violent, too much sex, too much swearing. This game pissed off parents, and has probably been blamed for as many deaths as Doom. This game changed the industry also, as GTA's free roaming third person gameplay has been copied by many other companies.

1. Pong

It changed the world, by bringing video games inside the house. This game was in every arcade, and it was the first video game for a generation.

Edited by desiredtoe

20. Guitar Hero

19. Pokemon

18. E.T: The Extra Terrestrial

17. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater

16. Street Fighter II

15. GoldenEye 007

14. Nintendogs

13. Counter-Strike

12. Tetris

11. Sonic the Hedgehog

10. Mortal Kombat

9. Dance Dance Revolution

8. Sim City

7. John Madden Football

6. Halo 2

5. Pac-Man

4. Doom

3. Super Mario Bros. 3

2. Grand Theft Auto III

1. World of Warcraft

I definitely don't agree with World of Warcraft being #1 or even on the list at all. Same with Halo 2. In the mag, each game they give a brief reason for, like they say E.T is on the list, because it was the first ever movie licenced game, and thus setting the "curse" of every game based on a movie is horrible.

Discuss.

Ready...ok!

20. World of Warcraft

-Yeah, yeah, Ultima and Everquest were there first. Both were even extremely popular in the days where nobody remotely considered the idea of paying monthly to play. However, the difference between those games and WoW is similar to the difference between GTA 1 and GTA 3. GTA 1 was fun and a decent game, but GTA 3 just had everything you could really ask for in a great game. Furthermore, it hooked in the people who really didn't care about the idea. EQ and Ultima are great, but they don't have *it*. WoW's got some much of *it* I can't stand it.

19. Diablo 2

-Similar to Tony Hawk, Diablo has spawned a genre in which it really has little, if any, competition. Undoubtedly, someone has told somebody else that it was a hack-and-slash game where you pretty much point and click the entire way through. Undoubtedly, they were looked at like they were insane afterward. The catch about Diablo - as well as what makes it great - is the depth. It is an excellent example of how a game can have below average graphics and a very slight control scheme, but still thrive based on overall content and depth.

18. Sonic The Hedgehog

-Competition is always a good thing, and Sonic is one of the best examples. Most people came to Sonic because of the blazing speed, something that series has seemingly turned a blind eye to nowadays. The reason people stayed, however, was just the sense of fun. Whereas the Mario series started turning ever-so-slightly towards action/adventure, Sonic kept it relatively simple and built a huge fanbase doing so.

17. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater

-Yes, it gave birth to the spin-off known as extreme sports gaming. One can't really look at THPS as something that has made a huge change in the gaming populace's way of thinking, however. Part of a game's legacy is the way it influences later games. When you look at THPS, what other games stand out as being as good in that genre? Kudos on a great game and a decent series, but I can't help but see this with a slanted view.

16. Goldeneye 007

-A game that gave the shooting genre a new kind of tweak. Nothing about the game was revolutionary, mind you, it's just that it was the culmination of that genre's development. It got everything people wanted in a shooting game right. No wonder it still stands as a favorite of the N64 catalogue.

15. Chrono Trigger

-The best console role-playing game ever created. It put the RPG genre at the forefront of gaming and made even the most steadfast of non-RPG players take notice. When you ask any gaming person who knows of the SNES what the best games for it were, this game will come up on their list.

14. Counter-Strike

-What Doom started, CS has taken to scary levels. Although not as upfront as even two years ago, CS still remains one of the most popular shooters in the gaming world. Not only that, the game literally kept the PC market afloat for some time and helped lead it to the short boom it experienced prior to the PS2 and Xbox's arrivals.

13. SimCity

-This game is one of those that, while you know it had a profound effect on gaming as a whole, you really don't tend to think of it. However, you see its effects in every RTS, turn-based strategy, non-sports simulation, and puzzle games since its release. It could be argued that SimCity grealty nurtured and pushed the idea that games could be just as educational as they were fun.

12. E.T.

-If only we learned from ALL of this game's mistakes.

11. Dance Dance Revolution

-Guitar Hero is quickly making a run at the throne of best rhythm-based game, but c'mon, DDR brought the idea to the forefront. Without DDR, ideas such as Frequency, Rez, etc. may not have occured. Not to mention this game has a following that is alarmingly devoted. Also, DDR is one of the first games that artists used to push their musical material.

10. Mortal Kombat

-Scream it. You know you wanna.

Since the releases of Virtua Fighter, Street Fighter, and Mortal Kombat, the fighting game genre has really been partitioned. In the end, though, Mortal Kombat's legacy goes beyond helping fracture the fighting genre. It will be remembered both fondly and as an annoyance because it thrust gaming content into the faces of lawmakers and parents everywhere.

9. Madden

-Had it really taken off prior to Doom, it would be #8. As it stands, though, it's in a comparible position for the fact it did the same as Doom.

8. Doom

-There is no Half-Life, Counter-Strike, Duke Nukem, Quake, etc. etc. without Doom. Keep in mind, I don't feel it was a particularly good game, but it started a genre that is one of the three - if not the - most popular in gaming next to RPGs and sports.

7. Pong

-Boop. Boop. Boop. Boop. Nobody can make that sound without at least half the strangers nearby thinking of the game. It started the whole shindig, really, and still stands to day as an example of how sometimes the simplest of ideas are the best.

6. The Legend of Zelda

-It kinda goes without saying that Nintendo is the best company for making memorable characters. Nearly any gamer will immediately think of at least three Nintendo-created stars when asked to name the most famous heroes in gaming. Not only were Link, Zelda, and Ganon memorable characters that still stand today (nerd points if you remember the Moldorm's repeated cameos,) but the game practically invented the action/adventure hybrid.

5. Final Fantasy

-I kinda struggled here...Final Fantasy or Ultima? Ultima was easily the first, arguably as entertaining...it's even held a leagacy just as long as FF. The deal-breaker is the fact Final Fantasy saved and essentially gave birth to the best RPG company out there. You can imagine a gaming world without Ultima, but I don't think the gaming world would exist in nearly as much splendor if you took away FF and, effectively, Square.

For the record, FF7 was good, but it's not your fucking lord and savior.

Moving on...

4. GTA 3

-Only Mortal Kombat stirred up the kind of controversey that GTA has reached. For the first time in American gaming history, people got to act out their deadliest ideas with a game that was worth their time.

3. SMB

-Honestly, the third was and may always be the best of the series (64 being a close second.) The first one, however, took the business to a whole new level. Look at it this way: Pac-Man was Hogan, Mario was Stone Cold.

2. Tetris

-The game that *made* the mobile gaming industry. Not to mention you can still sing/hum the B-Type music and get at least one "oh yeah, Tetris!" look from a nearby stranger.

1. Pac-Man

-It saved the business from extinction and proved that it wasn't a fad. Enough said.

Wii (geddit?) is Pokemon even on the list, it was hardly revolutionary and was only really so popular based on the popularity of the cartoons.

Actualy, the Cartoon came later because of the popularity of the game, at least in Japan at any rate.