World Wrestling Entertainment - 2003

Guest HYA

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two more pretty good shows and nice to see updates so fast :)

RAW was fine everything continued the storylines nicely so no problems there. Curious what will happen with the title match at RR... I'd like to see Steiner actually win and have a little title reign.. cos I do like him.. and he seems to have a good bit of momentum going into this match.

Smackdown! was also good, I'd rather have seen the Kidman/Nunzio match at the Rumble mind. Team Angle finally getting a win was good and I like the build up of Matt Hardy V1.. hopefulyl he won't be shoved in with the Cruisers like real life. Not keen on the Show/Lesnar match simply because it almost mirrors the real life match... although it will let Lesnar get his win back over Show so that'd be cool.

Can't wait for the Rumble.. keep it up :)

rr2003eyr1.jpg

WWE Royal Rumble Preview - January 19th, 2003

The 16th annual Royal Rumble comes to you LIVE from Boston, Massachusetts this Sunday, only on Pay Per View! With four titles being decided, and of course, the annual 30 man Royal Rumble match, this event promises to be one of the highlights of 2003! Who will walk out with gold? Who will earn a spot in the main event of WrestleMania?

Here is the official card:

WWE Title: Kurt Angle © vs Chris Benoit

World Title: Triple H © vs Scott Steiner

Loser Enters RR @ #1: Brock Lesnar vs Big Show

World Tag Titles: Booker T & Goldust © vs Chris Jericho & Christian

WWE Tag Titles: Los Guererros © vs Edge & Rey Mysterio

30 Man Royal Rumble: 15 RAW and SmackDown! superstars compete for a spot in the main event at WrestleMania!

Note: Precitions are encouraged, although there will be no official competition or prizes. Remember, if you do leave predictions, you must explain them .. those be the rules.

"Are you going to do PPV's for both brands or one brand like WWE does now?"

I'll be continuing with the joint-brand PPV's .. for now, anyway. Thanks for the feedback hombre.

Edited by HYA

I think Kurt Should walk away with the win.. Benoit has the momentum so Kurt should get the win... you know the WWE 'rule' about the before a PPV show.. Benoit deserves the gold but not just yet.

I'd just like to see Steiner have a little run with the belt even if its only until NWO. I dont think he should be brought in simply so he can lose to H.

Leanr to win because it won't do any good him losing to Show again (since November)

The obvious thing is for Goldust to turn and cost them the title.. but I think Goldust will prove himself and get the pin.. maybe leading to Booker turning on him down the line?

Edge and Rey to win because that gives a reason for the feud to continue (a good thing) maybe involve Team Angle and you've got a top WM match down the line.

30 Man Royal Rumble: 15 RAW and SmackDown! superstars compete for a spot in the main event at WrestleMania!

A tough one.. I thought Jericho or Lesnar.. beacuse of their unique entry numbers... Lesnar's too obvious and number 30 never wins. Then I thought HBK but he's only just had a title reign and who wants to see HBK vs HHH again? I don't want to rule out Taker either but I think you'll surprise us with RVD or Kane winning so I'm going to go for Kane.

I will go with Kurt like the above poster said. You have Lesnar in line for the title, I would not be surprised uf it ends up being Benoit vs Lesnar vs Angle at WM.

Giving Steiner the belt wouldn't make sense. He isnt WM ME worthy, HHH is my pick.

Tough one, but I choose Lesnar since he is gaining momentum fast.

I choose the Goldust turn and I want Booker to move up. CC for me.

Los Guerreros since they are more established.

I want Jericho to win but it's a very slim chance. I cant pick, either Lesnar or HBK.

Angle wins it and defends against Lesnar. I don't see Benoit winning, As there's no other heels for him to defend against on Smackdown.

I would go with Steiner by DQ or something, But I'd rather have Triple H win it.

Brock loses, But by interference, Or something.

Jericho is feuding with HBK, Which will blowoff at WM. So he isn't going to be champion here. Booker T/Goldust might break up, But not soon, Not here.

New champions, So the feud can continue.

Brock Lesnar

Brock wins it against all odds.

WWE Royal Rumble – January 19th, 2003

The broadcast began with the usual video package intro, highlighting the history and significance of the Royal Rumble and hyping the matches scheduled for the evening. We then crossed to the arena where PYRO lit up, before heading down to the announce table where Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler were standing by. They ran down the night’s card before being cut off by the music of Chris Jericho!

rr2003cjm0.jpg

World Tag Team Title Match:

Booker T & Goldust vs Chris Jericho & Christian

The crowd was hot for the opening match with the world tag team titles up for grabs. Many were interested in this match to see where the Goldust “weak link” angle was headed, and many expected a heel turn. While there was no turn, it was an exciting contest none the less. The champions looked strong throughout the match, but Jericho and Christian displayed some periods of great teamwork, with the aid of a few underhanded tactics. Late in the match Goldust hit the Curtain Call on Jericho and it looked as if it was over, but Christian came in and broke up the count, saving the match for his team. Booker was quick to send Christian out of the ring and the two brawled around ringside, while in the ring Jericho snuck in a cheap low blow, before locking in the Walls of Jericho. Goldust hung in there for as long as he could, but soon enough he was tapping out and the ref was calling for the bell. The new tag champions celebrated up the runway, as Booker T and Goldust shook their heads in disappointment in the ring. Where does the “weak link” angle go to from here? Whatever the case, this was an entertaining bout which was made a lot better due to a hot crowd. Great way to open the show.

Chris Jericho & Christian def. Booker T & Goldust to win the World Tag Team titles

***1/2

Loser Enters Royal Rumble @ #1:

Brock Lesnar vs Big Show

This was by far the worst match of the night, and even thought it only went for seven minutes, it was far too long. Their encounter two months ago in MSG at the Survivor Series was much better, and that was nothing special. As soon as Show stepped through the curtain, Brock raced up the ramp and began brawling with him. They had a brawl up the aisle, before eventually working their way back to the ring where Big Show controlled the match with some slow plodding offence, featuring some typical big man power moves. The match turned when Lesnar dodged a clothesline in to the turnbuckle and hoisted Show on to his shoulders, preparing for the F5. Heyman made the distraction however, grabbing hold of Brock’s foot and allowing Show to escape. Show then hit the Chokeslam and made the cover, but Brock was able to get a foot on the rope to stop a three count. A furious Show then went to get some help in a steel chair. Show returned and took a swing, but Brock ducked and lifted Show up for a F5 once again. This time Lesnar nailed it in an impressive display of strength, which was enough for the win. This meant that Big Show would enter the Royal Rumble at the incredibly lucky position of number one.

Brock Lesnar def. Big Show to avoid entering the Royal Rumble at #1

¼*

WWE Tag Title Match:

Los Guererros vs Edge & Rey Mysterio

This was a superb outing, which was almost on par with the classic No Mercy outing between Angle/Benoit and Edge/Rey. The champs managed to control the early going, using some excellent teamwork and cheating to gain an upper hand wherever possible. The match continued to build up, leading to an exciting finish. Mysterio hit the 619 on Eddie, as Edge lined up for the Spear. Eddie dodged out of the way however and Edge speared Chavo. Suddenly Eddie rolled Edge up in a pinning combination from behind and grabbed a hold of the tights to gain some leverage, which was enough to score a quick three count and mark a successful title defence for the champions. Los Guererros then quickly made it back up the ramp, not allowing the challengers a chance to extract some revenge. Despite the loss, Edge and Rey received a great response from the Boston crowd after the match as they headed to the back.

Los Guererros def. Edge & Rey Mysterio to retain the WWE Tag Team titles

****½

World Title Match:

Triple H vs Scott Steiner

Nobody quite knew what to expect heading in to the RAW brand’s main event. It certainly wasn’t going to be similar to their SmackDown! counterpart. Steiner hadn’t been involved in a high calibre pay per view match since 2001, and many had doubts that “Big Poppa Pump” would be able to carry out a top level match. However, he did, giving Tripper one of his better matches over the past year. There was nothing too special, and no electrifying mat wrestling, that’s for sure. But they put on a solid, hard hitting brawl that kept fans engaged throughout the contest. The match was kept short, only lasting eleven minutes, which was probably a good thing. Had the match gone on, the quality would have dropped dramatically. Late in the match Tripper attempted to earn himself a DQ with the aid of a chair, but Steiner blocked the chair shot and levelled the champion with a stiff clothesline. Ric Flair then stepped up to the apron, only to receive a right hand for his troubles from BPP. When Steiner turned his attention back to HHH, he was met with a boot to the gut. Tripper set up for the Pedigree, but ended up taking a back drop. Steiner then locked in the Recliner, but the champion soon made it to the ropes. When they made it to their feet, HHH snuck in a low blow, as Flair slid a sledgehammer in to the ring. When Steiner made it to his feet, the champ struck him with a hammer shot to the stomach, causing the ref to call for a DQ. Tripper looked exhausted and quickly headed to the back, but once Steiner was up, he chased him up the runway and eventually caught up with the champ in the back. Steiner attacked HHH from behind and threw him into the wall. He continued to dish out a savage beating to the champ around the backstage area, before he was eventually held off by almost a dozen officials. Well that was a shitty ending, but the match was better than expected.

Scott Steiner def. Triple H via Disqualification

***¾

WWE Title Match:

Kurt Angle vs Chris Benoit

This was a major contrast to the RAW brand’s main event, with two of the best technical wrestlers in the world today putting on an absolute pure wrestling clinic. This was a predominantly mat based contest, featuring plenty of submissions and chain wrestling. It stated at a relatively slow pace, building it’s way up to a breathtaking finish. Late in the match Benoit looked for a german suplex, but Angle countered it by managing to land on his feet, before dropping his opponent to the mat and locking in the Ankle Lock! Benoit struggled in pain, before reversing it into the Crippler Crossface! Angle then reversed it back, before Benoit reversed it AGAIN! Angle eventually managed to reach the ropes, forcing the challenger to break the hold. When the two made it to their feet, Benoit hit a huge german suplex, before going up top and landing the swandive headbutt! He made the cover, but Angle kicked out after 2. Benoit dragged Angle up and looked for a backdrop, but Kurt rolled off of it and hit the Angle Slam! Before the ref could count three however, Benoit got a foot on the bottom rope! A furious Angle then pulled down the straps and attempted to put the ankle lock on, but was rolled up in an inside cradle for a 2 count. Benoit then locked in the Crossface, but it was reversed back into the ankle lock by the champion! Benoit eventually fought his way to the ropes, but was dragged back in to the middle of the ring. After over a minute of pain, the challenger eventually tapped out and the ref called for the bell! Angle celebrated as he headed to the back, while Benoit received a standing ovation from the Boston crowd.

Kurt Angle def. Chris Benoit to retain the WWE title

Royal Rumble:

30 superstars from RAW and SmackDown!

The royal rumble proves to be a fan favourite each year, and the 2003 match was no exception. While this wasn’t quite on par with the last two years’ rumbles, it was a great match and the fans in attendance were on the edge of their seats throughout. Big Show was forced to enter at #1 after beating Brock Lesnar, and he started the match off with Rey Mysterio, who had also already competed in a match earlier on. The rumble also marked the return of the Undertaker, who immediately set his sights on the man who’d put him out for the last few months - Big Show upon entering the match. Both Batista and Booker T were impressive, lasting for much of the match and making a number of eliminations, however the final four came down to Brock Lesnar, The Undertaker, Shawn Michaels and Chris Jericho. It took all three men to eliminate Brock, leaving it to the last three men. Michaels caught Jericho off guard with some Sweet Chin Music, which eliminated him. Undertaker then attacked Michaels from behind, before setting him up for the Last Ride. Michaels reversed it with a backdrop however, before tuning up the band for some SCM! Taker saw it coming though, and prepared for a Chokeslam. Michaels then managed to reverse out of it in mid air, landing behind Undertaker, before quickly dumping him over the top to win the rumble! Shawn Michaels celebrated his 3rd Royal Rumble victory as the pay per view went off the air!

Shawn Michaels def. 29 superstars to win the Royal Rumble

**¾

Show Stats:

(Overall Rating: 86; Buy Rate: 1.60; Attendance: 17,128)

Order of Entry: Big Show, Rey Mysterio, Booker T, Shelton Benjamin, Al Snow, Goldust, Batista, Charlie Haas, Eddie Guererro, Edge, The Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, Christian, Brock Lesnar, Chief Morley, Jamie Noble, Kane, Lance Storm, The Hurricane, Test, John Cena, William Regal, Chavo Guererro, Rikishi, A-Train, Matt Hardy, Jeff Hardy, Tajiri, Rob Van Dam, Chris Jericho

Order of Elimination: Goldust, Shelton Benjamin, Charlie Haas, Chief Morley, Jamie Noble, Lance Storm, Christian, Rey Mysterio, Al Snow, Eddie Guererro, The Hurricane, Edge, Test, Big Show, John Cena, Rikishi, William Regal, Jeff Hardy, Chavo Guererro, Tajiri, Kane, Rob Van Dam, Matt Hardy, Booker T, Batista, Brock Lesnar, Chris Jericho, The Undertaker

Edited by HYA

Overall a good PPV.. maybe slightyl predictable. Thats expected though with the whole finishing up current storylines thing. Only thing was I thought the rumble could've had a little more detail.. but no biggy.

Good opener.. always good to see Jericho and Christian with gold. I still think you're gonna do the unexpected and have Booker be the one to turn... I'll just have to wait and see.

Show/Lesnar was as expected.. Lesnar was the right man to win although I'm shocked it didn't get a good EWR rating.. especially when Batista/Steiner got a good one a few shows back.

Smackdown! title match also good.. not really bothered who won as long as the feud continues.. I'd love to see a ladder match between the two teams somewhere down the line.

HHH/Steiner was okay too.. although not sure if i like it ending by DQ. I dont think PPV matches should ever end in a DQ.. and also the fact it was a DQ IRL too... but hopefully it'll go somewhere good :)

WWE title match was good as you'd expect and I was glad to see Angle retain cleanly gives more importance to him as a champion and the match itself.

Royal Rumble was good and the fact that you made points of how well Booker T and Batista did makes me think they're both in for a push of some kind. I also have a feeling we may be seeing HBK on Smackdown!? Because who wants HBK/HHH for the 4th time in 6 months when you could have Angle/HBK headlining Mania?

I look forward to RAW.. keep up the good work :)

All predictions right, except 1 :@

The tag title matches were good, maybe you are delaying the Goldy turn for NWO?

Steiner wins by DQ, meh. I expect a No DQ match at NWO but please, DO NOT make Steiner main event WM.

Lesnar is the only face over enough on SD to fight Angle at WM.

HHH VS HBK at WM. Maybe HBK runs into some opposition before his WM match?

I read this yesterday, But didn't get a chance to leave feedback. I was super shocked at seeing HBK win the Royal Rumble, But I am super glad he won. Though, That might mean we don't get Jericho/HBK at WM. Hopefully, HBK goes to Smackdown, As HBK/HHH was done already. Also, That leaves the chance for someone new to face Triple H. I was surprised in seeing Jericho/Christian winning the straps, But atleast Christian is doing something. I'm interested in seeing what happens with Goldust. Looking at the RR, It looks like Booker and Batista are in line for pushes. Keep it up, Looking forward to RAW. (Y)

WRESTLING NEWS & NOTES: 1/20/03: Hogan; Royal Rumble; CZW; Rhyno

• Negotiations are currently taking place with former WWE champion Hulk Hogan, in regard to a comeback for WrestleMania. There has supposedly been little progress at this point in time, as Hogan is only willing to work with a select group of people. Hogan mentioned Big Show as someone he'd like to work with, but that isn't likely to happen.
  • Officials are said to be very pleased with the Royal Rumble pay per view, and it was considered to be one of the best events in recent memory. The Angle/Benoit WWE title and WWE Tag Team title matches have been especially praised.
  • Ross Hart has taken over CZW, which has lead to a number of workers leaving the promotion.
  • Rhyno, who was originally scheduled for a December comeback, wont be returning until after WrestleMania, where he's expected to join the SmackDown! brand.
Currently Scheduled for Raw

#1 Contender Match: Booker T vs Chris Jericho

Tag Match: Rob Van Dam & Kane vs Lance Storm & William Regal

Christian vs The Hurricane

Batista vs Tommy Dreamer

Currently Scheduled for SmackDown!

WWE Tag Title Match: Los Guererros vs Edge & Rey Mysterio

Tag Match: Billy Kidman & Funaki vs Jamie Noble & Nunzio

Brock Lesnar vs Charlie Haas

John Cena vs Tajiri

WWE Monday Night RAW

Monday, January 20th, 2003

The show opened up with last night’s Royal Rumble winner Shawn Michaels coming down to the ring. He mentioned what an accomplishment it was to win his 3rd rumble, before going on to the topic of WrestleMania. He said that he won a world title shot against Raw’s world champion at WrestleMania .. right? WRONG! He revealed that he also had the option of jumping to SmackDown! to wrestle for the WWE title! This lead to Triple H coming out, who said if HBK were smart, he’d go to SmackDown! where he may have a chance of walking out with a title. But with that said, he’d love for HBK to stay on RAW, so he could beat the living hell out of his former buddy one more time. Tripper pressured Michaels into giving him an answer then and there, which lead to some SWEET CHIN MUSIC! HBK said that he’d make a decision in the next week. [89]

Dave Batista vs Tommy Dreamer

As soon as the bell was rung things didn’t look good for the former ECW icon Tommy Dreamer. With Ric Flair cheering him on at ringside, Batista went on to convincingly dismantle Dreamer in under three minutes. The match, if you could call it that, came to an end after the inevitable Demon Bomb from Batista. [**]

Footage of the backstage area was shown, as Scott Steiner was seen arriving at the arena. Oh, and he looked awfully ticked off, as articulately pointed out by Jerry Lawler. [85]

Goldust made his way down to the ring, claiming to have an announcement to make. He discussed the recent talk of him being regarded as the “weakest link” of the tag team of he and Booker T. Goldy said that last night’s tag title match proved everyone right, and he knows that he is indeed the weak link and has been holding Booker T down for far too long. He went on to say that he wanted Booker to reach his full potential, so for now, he was officially leaving the RAW brand. He didn’t know when .. or if .. he’d be back. So that’s it? There must be more to this. [79]

Christian vs The Hurricane

The brand new co tag team champion came to the ring with an extra bounce in his step, as he prepared to face the superhero of Raw. Christian refused to take his opponent seriously in the early going, and it almost cost him on several occasions. Hurricane scored big with a number of exciting moves, and had a series of near three counts in quick succession. Eventually Christian managed to walk away with a cheap victory after getting his feet up on the ropes while in a pinning combination. [****]

Scott Steiner stormed into the office of Eric Bischoff, grabbing him by the throat and pushing him up against the wall. Steiner said he’d heard about the number one contender match tonight, and wanted to know why he wasn’t getting a rematch after being screwed out of the title last night. Bischoff explains himself, Steiner threatens him. And what do we end up with? It’ll be a triple threat match at No Way Out – Triple H vs Scott Steiner vs the winner of tonight’s main event. Steiner then looks satisfied, and is quite happy to put Bischoff down. See, he’s really very reasonable. [86]

We crossed to the back where Stacey Keibler was standing by, before being cut off for a pre taped Randy News Update! Randy Orton talked about his recent shoulder injury, and told his fans not to worry, as his shoulder was now at 93%. These things were cool at first .. but they’re starting to suck. [78]

#1 Contender Match: Kane & Rob Van Dam vs Lance Storm & William Regal

As the bell rang, JR informed us that this had been made into a number one contenders match, upon the order of Eric Bischoff. Two contender matches in one night? I don’t like it. I dunno why, I just don’t. It doesn’t feel right. Storm and Regal tried to cheat with some weaponry in the form of their native country’s flags late in the match, but the Dudleyz came from nowhere and grabbed the weapons out of their hands. This distraction lead to a Chokeslam from Kane, which sealed the win. The Duds and Storm & Regal brawled following the bout, with Bubba and D-Von eventually getting the upper hand and sending their rivals over the top rope. [***½]

In an unexpected appearance, Vince McMahon returned to Raw! Vince called out Eric Bischoff. He said that he hired Bischoff to shake Raw to it’s very foundations .. but that hadn’t happened! Vince said that Bischoff had been nothing but a disappointment as GM, and unless he turned things around, he’d be hearing these two words “YOU’RE FIRED!” Vince set a deadline for Bischoff to impress him – No Way Out. [88]

#1 Contender Match: Chris Jericho vs Booker T

There was a lot on the line in the main event, with the winner getting a world title shot at No Way Out. JR mentioned how Booker must have been distracted after his tag team partner had walked out on Raw earlier in the night. The two had a back and forth brawl, which went all over the arena before eventually ending up in the ring. With the ref down, Jericho looked to take his opponent out with his world tag title belt. However, Booker was one step ahead, dodging the belt shot and hitting his Book-end to get the three count and earn a title shot at No Way Out! Before the show went off the air, Triple H appeared at the top of the runway and stared down his No Way Out opponent. [***]

[Overall Rating: 80; TV Rating: 6.11; Attendance: 9020]

Good RAW to follow up after the PPV. Liked the setup for the NWO title match and I still think HBK will end up on SD!

Interested by Goldust, surely we havent seen the last of him? :P Can't wait to see what NWO matches are going to be added on the SD! side of things, and I'll be looking to see wha tEric Bischoff will do to 'improve' RAW. Keep it up.

Good follow up to the Royal Rumble. I am hoping HBK goes to Smackdown, However, If he does go, It makes him look a bit scared of Triple H, Especially since last time they fought, Triple H did beat him. Though, Angle versus HBK would be classic. Booker Vs. Steiner Vs. Triple H? That won't be pretty, And I just see Triple H walking out with the win. Atleast, It's not another Triple H/Steiner match up. Also interested in what's going to happen with Goldust. Maybe a move to Smackdown? Can't wait to read Smackdown. (Y)

WWE Velocity

To Be Aired Saturday, January 25th, 2003

• Spanky d. Johnny Stambolli [ **¼ ]
  • Shelton Benjamin d. Rikishi []
  • A-Train d. Chuck Palumbo []
[Overall Rating: 61; TV Rating: 1.09]

WWE SmackDown!

Thursday, January 23rd, 2003

John Cena vs Tajiri

The first show from the blue brand since the Royal Rumble kicked off with John Cena heading down to the ring, with a freestyle on his opponent Tajiri. After some semi racist, rhyming insults, it was time for some wrestling. This was a decent match, with the finish coming after interference from B½ lead to Cena hitting the move now known as the FU for the win. [ **¾ ]

We crossed to the back where footage was shown from earlier today of Los Guererros leaving the locker-room of Matt Hardy. It was all very suspicious with Eddie and Chavo quickly hurrying off after noticing the cameras. INTRIGUE! No seriously, I’m intrigued. [ 90 ]

Jamie Noble & Nunzio vs Billy Kidman and Funaki

This was without question the best tag team cruiserweight contest I can ever recall on WWE television. The finish came when out of nowhere, Funaki TURNED on Kidman, shoving him off the top rope before he could hit the SSP. This lead to Nunzio hitting the Sicillian Slice for the victory. [ ****¾ ]

After the match, a confused Kidman looked up at Funaki, who kicked him square in the balls! In the greatest segment ever, Funaki said that he was sick of being SD’s #1 announcer, and he was returning to his EVIL ways! He then promised that soon his old ally Taka Michinoku would be returning and NOBODY was safe! [ 60 ]

The Undertaker headed down to the ring and talked about the man who put him on the shelf for the last two months – Big Show. Taker said he’d been waiting a long time for revenge and went on to call Show out right then and there. However, it was Show’s manager Paul Heyman who appeared at the top of the runway. Heyman came down to the ring and explained that Big Show wasn’t here tonight, but he’d be there next week, and he’d be ready for a fight. Taker then said he had a message for Heyman to send to his client, before Chokeslamming him in the middle of the ring! [ 88 ]

The WWE champion Kurt Angle was seen in the backstage area, before being confronted by Josh Matthews. Josh asked about his thoughts on the possibility of facing Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania. Kurt said that he knew Michaels was in the building, and that he was going to head down to the ring later tonight and demand an answer from HBK. [ 89 ]

Brock Lesnar vs Charlie Haas

While the former WWE champion controlled the match and managed to walk away with the win, Haas provided some competition and managed to land some offence during the bout. In the end however, it was Lesnar’s F5 which kept Haas down for the three count. [ **½ ]

We crossed to the back where Rey Mysterio was walking through the corridor, when suddenly Matt Hardy jumped him from behind and began a vicious assault. Hardy threw Mysterio into the wall several times before enlisting the aid of a steel chair. Hardy repeatedly attacked with the chair, targeting Mysterio’s knee in the process. Eventually officials came to the aid of Mysterio and Matt was quick to leave, with the damage clearly being done. [ 76 ]

As Michael Cole and Tazz questioned what would happen in regard to the scheduled main event tonight, Kurt Angle made his way down to the ring. Angle talked trash about Shawn Michaels, calling him a has-been and saying that if he were to face him at WrestleMania, it’d be the shortest main event of all time, as HBK would be tapping in minutes. Angle then demanded an answer from Michaels right then and there. HBK quickly appeared at the top of the stage, before heading down and getting in the face of the WWE champion. The two began trading insults which eventually lead to Angle slapping Michaels. HBK then responded with some Sweet Chin Music out of nowhere! He then leant over the fallen WWE champion and said that his answer .. was yes. It would be Kurt Angle and Shawn Michaels for the WWE title at WrestleMania! [ 97 ]

WWE Tag Team Title Match: Los Guererros vs Edge & Chris Benoit

Los Guererros made their way out first and got on the mike. They acted innocent regarding the ambush of Rey Mysterio early in the night, and made the implication that it would now have to be either a handicap match, or it’d be cancelled all together. Edge then interrupted, saying that Stephanie McMahon had allowed him to find a replacement partner – Chris Benoit! The challengers stormed the ring and went on to take the upper hand in the early going. This fantastic match came to an end when Eddie Guererro attempted a flying clothesline from the top rope, only for it to be reversed into the Crippler Crossface! Eddie struggled to fight out of it, but eventually ended up tapping in the middle of the ring! The new tag team champions Chris Benoit and Edge celebrated their win as the show went off the air! [ ****¾ ]

[Overall Rating: 84; TV Rating: 6.10; Attendance: 9038]

WWE NEWS & NOTES – 01/26/03

- Officials are said to be very impressed with the recent work of the tag team of Jamie Noble and Nunzio. It is reported that the duo are being considered for a tag team title run somewhere down the line.

- While Chris Jericho is still currently one half of the tag team champions, he is supposedly in line for a big match at WrestleMania. No word on who Jericho is set to face as of yet, but some rumoured names include The Rock, Hulk Hogan and Steve Austin.

- There was a minor issue backstage at Raw last week, as Bubba Dudley was said to be quite unhappy with doing the job for Three Minute Warning.

- Christian and The Hurricane received much praise following their encounter on RAW last Monday night. It was considered to be one of the best RAW matches in quite some time.

Scheduled for RAW

Main Event: Batista & Ric Flair vs Booker T & Scott Steiner

Chris Jericho vs Rob Van Dam

Jeff Hardy vs Chief Morley

The Hurricane vs Rico

Scheduled for SmackDown!

Main Event: Matt Hardy vs Chris Benoit

Brock Lesnar vs A-Train

Shawn Michaels vs John Cena

Billy Kidman vs Funaki

Edited by HYA

Smackdown! was good and quite abit better than RAW I thought.

Cena is going fine although I hope he gets put into a big-ish storyline sometime soon, as long as he remains heel.

Los Guerrero antiics are always good. Also great to see Kai En Tai returning with the EVIL gimmick, I loved that.

Undertaker and Big Show should be an okay feud, as long as you keep Heyman involved.

Lesnar also needs to get into a feud soon, maybe with Cena?

HBK on SD! is cool and will make for a great WM main event. Leaves me wondering who will challenge H though since I expect H to beat Steiner and Booker.

Top main event which would no doubt have been a show stealer, hope this goes somewhere good. Not to happy with the almost constant jobbing of Team Angle though.

Hope Jericho gets a good WM match, wouldnt mind any of the ones hinted in the news. He should win though.

Keep up the good work :)

• 6 months later...

Monday Night Raw

January 27th, 2003

The Hurricane d. Rico

The show kicked off with some FILLER as the resident super hero of RAW squared off with Rico in singles action. This was pretty much you’re average comedy bout, but it wasn’t without it’s charm. The finish came when a misguided roundhouse kick from Rico was dodged, leading to Hurricane scoring with the “Eye of the Hurricane” for the victory. Not a bad way to start RAW, even if it did seem somewhat pointless. [**¾]

We cross to the back where Triple H is seen arriving at the arena and he looks PISSED OFF MAN! Now what could he possibly be so grumpy about I wonder? Something tells me that we’ll surely find out later in the show. [85]

Lance Storm and William Regal now make their way to the ring, accompanied by porn star turned chief of staff Chief Morley. What a career change. Anywho, Storm and Regal are sick of dealing with the Dudley Boyz and suggest that this feud needs to be put to rest at No Way Out. Apparently it was the last straw on last week’s RAW when the Duds cost Regal and Storm a tag title shot. This brings out the Duds who are more than happy for a No Way Out match to settle the score, but they want to choose the stipulations. Bischoff than appears on the tron and makes a match for next week. Both teams may choose a tag team to partner them in an 8MT match; the winners choose the stipulations for No Way Out. Well good, because I think we’ve all seen enough of this feud. This segment was pretty crap as well. [68]

Chris Jericho and Christian are standing by in the back with Lillian Garcia. The tag team champions cut a promo on their challengers for No Way Out, Kane and Rob Van Dam. Jericho says that Kane and RVD had proven themselves to be losers in singles competition in recent months, and their run as a tag team would be no different. Y2J promises to give RVD a small taste of what’s in store for him at No Way Out later on in their match this evening. [83]

Jeff Hardy vs Chief Morley

It was back to some actual wrestling next, as Jeff Hardy faced Chief Morley. Hardy gets the early advantage with some unpredictable offence, before Morley slows the bout down and takes control. A late burst from Hardy however leads to the Twist of Fate and the Swanton Bomb, which scores the three count for Hardy. Not a special match by any means, but solid none the less. [**½]

Booker T is interviewed in the back about the Goldust’s decision to leave RAW last week. Booker hopes that Goldust comes to his senses and returns to the ring sooner rather than later, but right now, he has other things to focus on. For instance, winning the World title at No Way Out. Oh yeah, well that’s totally understandable, sounds like you have a lot on your plate there Book. Just at this moment Scott Steiner appears out of nowhere and the two engage in an intense stare down which screams “we’ve had issues in the past.” JR then documents their history in WCW. Well, they’d better get over it, because they’ll be teaming up in tonight’s main event. [92]

Chris Jericho vs Rob Van Dam

This was probably the longest match to air on RAW in quite some time. The two were given twenty-two minutes from bell to bell, giving them the opportunity to put on a fantastic match. Why were they given so long? Is it because there was hardly enough other stuff on the show to fill up the two hours? I’d say it’s entirely possible. Anyway, this awesome match came to a close after Christian interfered and wiped RVD out with a title belt shot, allowing Jericho to nail the Lionsault and the three count for the victory. After the match the tag champs laid in the boots on RVD before Kane ran in to make the save. [****]

Eric Bischoff is in his office when suddenly Triple H barges in. It appears Tripper is quite mad with Bischoff’s decision to make him defend the World title in a triple threat match at No Way Out. Bischoff tries to explain himself and weasel his way out of it, stating that he had no other option and blah blah blah. The Game is not buying it though. Before he leaves, he promises that he’ll retain the World title no matter what obstacles are put in front of him. Oh yeah, he also said that he’d send Booker t and Scott Steiner a message before the night was over. Ewww I wonder what it will be! [86]

Batista & Ric Flair vs Booker T & Scott Steiner

Despite the obvious tension between Booker and Steiner, they managed to take the upper hand for most of the match. However, Triple H’s interference would cost them the match, as he nailed Steiner with his infamous sledgehammer, allowing Batista to make the cover for the win. After the match Booker then fought off Triple H, managing to take the sledgehammer off of him in the process. When Steiner came to, he looked up at Booker holding the sledgehammer and came to the conclusion that it was Booker T who had cost him the match. Apparently not in the mood for thinking things through or coming up with a logical explanation, Steiner began shoving Booker, which eventually led to an all out brawl as the show went off the air. [**½]

Overall Rating: 82

TV Rating: 5.74

Attendance: 10,040

SmackDown!

January 30th, 2003

- Billy Kidman vs Funaki

SmackDown! opened with the cruiserweight champion and the freshly turned Funaki squaring off in singles action. It looked as if the champ had the win in the bag late in the match when he set up for the Shooting Star Press, however TAKA Michinoku appeared out of nowhere and shoved Kidman off of the top rope, leading to Funaki scoring a quick rollup for the three count victory! Kai En Tai have officially reunited! [***¼]

- The Undertaker storms down to the ring demands that Big Show come down to the ring immediately, so the Deadman can “beat his ass.” Apparently not too keen on the proposed beating of the ass, Big Show doesn’t answer the challenge, and eventually Taker gives up and says that if Show won’t come to him, he’ll come and find Show himself. Taker heads up the ramp and steps through the curtain in search for Big Show. [81]

- What appears to be a pre-taped promo by Edge and Chris Benoit is aired. They discuss their tag title win last week, and officially dedicate it to Rey Mysterio who was viciously attacked by Matt Hardy prior to the match, ruling him out and leading to Benoit replacing him. Well gee, I’m sure Rey feel’s just dandy about the whole situation now. Anyway, Benoit goes on to promise revenge on Matt Hardy for his assault on Mysterio last week later on tonight. I’d like to have Benoit as my friend that had my back. I’d start on everyone, then when they messed with me I’d just call in Benoit who’d put them in the fucking Crossface. [81]

- Brock Lesnar vs A-Train

This was a typical slugfest between two of the larger members of the SmackDown! roster, and you know what, it was actually a pretty decent contest. It’s a shame that the match was merely thrown together due to the fact that Lesnar isn’t doing anything else at the moment, but it was a good match none the less. Lesnar finished things off with the F5 at the 7-minute mark. [**½]

- After his win, Lesnar gets on the mike. Uh-ooooh. Luckily, he makes it short and sweet. Brock says that No Way Out was soon approaching and it was starting to look as if he wasn’t going to have any decent competition. He then makes an open challenge to anyone in the world who thinks they can stop the “next big thing.” Hmmm, that actually could be interesting. It’ll be either interesting or it will be A-Train. It better not be fucking A-Train. [83]

- Stephanie McMahon is in her office when WWE champ Kurt Angle approaches. Kurt brings to her attention the Sweet Chin Music he received last week on SmackDown! and suggests that HBK should be punished for executing an unprovoked attack on the WWE champion. Angle has the perfect solution, Michaels should have his WWE title shot taken away from him! “That’ll really teach him a lesson Steph.” The GM doesn’t share Kurt’s desire to punish Michaels however and gives Angle the chance for his own revenge in a tag team match against HBK next week. [86]

- Shawn Michaels vs John Cena

This was the SmackDown! in ring debut for Michaels, taking on up and comer John Cena. While Cena was competitive, there was never any real doubt as to the outcome. In the end it was HBK walking out with the win after tuning up the band for some Sweet Chin Music. After the match Kurt Angle ran in and attacked Michaels, but HBK saw it coming and was able to fight the WWE champion off before sending him over the top rope. The inevitable stare down followed, with the smug HBK in the ring and the furious Angle backing up the ramp. [**¾]

- The Undertaker is still searching for Big Show in the back, so apparently he hasn’t made much progress in the last hour. Soon enough he finds Paul Heyman, who he grabs by the throat and demands him to reveal Show’s whereabouts. Heyman claims that Show isn’t here once again, when suddenly Show attacks Taker from behind with a chair shot to the head! After several more shots, Show leaves Taker lying after a choke slam through a table. [88]

- Matt Hardy “Version 1” cuts a promo in the back, bragging about his assault on Rey Mysterio last week. He then promises to add another man to the injured list when he faces Chris Benoit, which is up NEXT, OMG! [83]

- Matt Hardy vs Chris Benoit

The night’s main event was a quality encounter between “Version 1” and the Ravid Wolverine. Despite Shannon Moore’s presence at ringside, it would be Los Guererros who would go on to be the deciding factor. Repaying Hardy for his lending hand last week, Los Guerreros distracted the referee and nailed Benoit with a title belt, allowing Matt to pick up the victory. Matt, Moore & Los Guererros all put the boots to Benoit after the match before Edge ran in for the save, fighting all four off. Edge attended to Benoit as we went off the air. [***]

Overall Rating: 79

TV Rating: 5.91

Attendance: 10,023

WWE News & Notes – February 2nd, 2003

- Tommy Dreamer injured his right knee at a house show over the weekend. It appears that Dreamer will require a complete knee reconstruction that would have him on the sidelines for around 16 months. It is likely that Dreamer’s in-ring career is over. However, there is talk of transitioning Dreamer into a backstage role, perhaps as either a road agent or an OVW official.

- Heat has officially been dropped by TNN. The network had asked to have the show “toned down” on several occasions in recent weeks but McMahon refused to meet the demands. It is likely that Velocity will now feature under card talent of both Raw and SmackDown! Expect this change to occur in the coming weeks.

- Three contracts are coming up at the end of the month. Mark Henry’s big money deal that was signed in the mid 90s will come up and it is unlikely that he will be resigned. If he were offered a new contract, we imagine it would be for much, much lesser money. Ron Simmons’ deal ends also; he is expected to remain with the company, most likely in a backstage role. Lita’s deal expires soon and it remains unknown whether she will ink a new contract. Rumour has it that Lita would like to peruse acting.

- Father of current WWE tag team champion Chavo Guerrero Chavo Guererro Sr. has announced his official retirement from professional wrestling earlier in the week.

Scheduled For RAW 02/03:

Non-Title Match: Triple H vs Spike Dudley

Batista vs Jeff Hardy

8MT: Lance Storm, William Regal & Two Partners vs The Dudleyz & Two Partners

Scheduled For SmackDown! 02/06:

Edge vs Eddie Guererro

Chris Benoit vs Chavo Guererro

Tajiri vs Big Show

Team Angle vs Too Cool