Manga

PkmnTrainerJ

Do you collect any manga? Or want to recommend any good ones?

I currently collect:

Pokémon Adventures

And wanna collect:

Yu-Gi-Oh

Dragonball

Dragonball Z

*something not from an animé*

I think a certain animé fan may come and hunt me down...

Edited by --J--

I don't really collect manga as such anymore. But I'm currently reading...

- Rurouni Kenshin

- Cromartie High School

- Naruto

And I need to start reading Maison Ikkoku again, and I'd like to reread some of the better Ranma 1/2 stories.

Unfortunately I can only hunt you down so many times before it becomes redundant. :shifty:

My manga collection continues unabated. I believe I'm up to 110 now.

Love Hina (1 - 14, complete)

Fruits Basket (1 - 13)

Neon Genesis Evangelion (1 - 9)

Tsubasa Chronicles (1 - 9)

Excel Saga (1 - 8)

Saikano (1 - 7, complete)

Fullmetal Alchemist (1 - 7)

No Need For Tenchi (1 - 5)

xxxHolic (1 - 5)

Genshiken (1 - 5)

Azumanga Daioh (1 - 4, complete)

Galaxy Angel (1 - 4)

Great Teacher Onizuka (1 - 3)

Yotsuba&! (1 - 3)

Megatokyo (1 - 3)

Trigun 1

Trigun Maximum (1 - 2)

FLCL (1 - 2, complete)

Inu Yasha (1 - 2)

Cromartie High School 1

Cowboy Bebop 1

Chobits 1

School Rumble 1

Get either Azumanga Daioh, Love Hina, or Fruits Basket. Now.

Edited by stokeriño

I highly recommend Love Hina as it is like the most brilliant thing ever.

Let's not stretch a point. Love Hina is a fun manga but it really isn't THAT good.

Actually, J would probably like Bleach. Its plot moves at about the same speed as Dragonball Z. :shifty:

And I do have to think that part of the reason that the Love Hina manga is generally held in high regard is because of how comparatively weak the anime was. Not to detract from the fact that it is still very good though.

Edited by stokeriño

I'm weird. I read mostly comedy and romance manga, despite preferring action and mecha anime.

I have all 14 volumes of Love Hina and the 9 volumes of Negima that have been released in the U.S. so far (#10 doesn't come out until the end of June, if I remember correctly). I also have the first 3 volumes of A.I. Love You, which was the series Ken Akamatsu did before Love Hina, but I'm not too fond of it which is why I haven't gotten anymore volumes.

I also have all 4 volumes of Maico 2010, the first 3 or 4 volumes of Battle Vixens, the first 3 volumes of Case Closed, most of the Comic Party series, almost all of Pita Ten (have the full series, but neither of the two fan books), and every issue of the American version of Shonen Jump.

Also have a few volumes of various other manga, including a couple different Cowboy Bebop series, but I don't own more than 2 books of any of them so I'm not going to bother listing them.

(Maico 2010 is somewhat hentai, as it has quite a bit of nudity but no actual sex)

Oh, and I've been watching Vandread on the Encore Action channels. Does anyone know if the manga has been translated into English or is likely to be, and where I can get it if it already has? That show is awesome.

Edited by GhostMachine

If you like comedy and romance mangas, Fruits Basket is undeniably the best series still being released today.

I read the first volume of Pita Ten. It's the sort of thing I'd happily read but can't quite be bothered to spend money on at the moment. I love Kotaru's "whaaaat the fuuuuuck" reactions to Misha. >_>

And I've not seen sight or sound of any Vandread manga in English, which is a pity because the show is indeed awesome (even if it is rather a Nadesico ripoff...). Then again there are plenty of manga series that bizarrely haven't been licensed for English release, like Mai-HiME. The anime is awesome, and the manga is also awesome - but in an entirely different way.

Edited by stokeriño

The typical manga releases are too short for their price for me. The few manga volumes I've read(excel saga vol. 1 & 2 and [i think] a Fullmetal Panic volume of some sort) have taken me just a little longer to read than a typical american comic book, which cost me less than half as much as a manga. To say nothing of the amount of entertainment I could get out of spending that much money on a full-fledged novel.

True. But then, I reread mine regularly. Certainly much more so than I am likely to with novels. Plus you really have to buy them from the right places so that you're only spending £4.50 - £5.50 a volume, rather than the £7-odd you end up paying on the high street.

I think the mangas that took me the longest to read were the Saikano ones. Not only are they relatively thick (especially the later ones which are like 300 pages; 50-60% longer than your average manga), but also because the detail is quite dense. The fact that they're so very depressing makes them take longer as well. :shifty:

But that being said, the ones I felt I've got the most value out of have to be the Azumanga Daioh ones. Since they're in four-panel comic strip format, you can just dip in and out of them at leisure, and their sheer comedic genius has meant that my copies have become more than a little worn around the edges through constant re-reading.

stoker, you really should read the rest of Pita Ten when you can afford to pick the other volumes up. Its a good series, and it does get better on, but there are a couple of volumes (about halfway through) I think that have some real WTF? moments. The series has what I would call a bittersweet ending, but it fits the series in the long run.

The typical manga releases are too short for their price for me. The few manga volumes I've read(excel saga vol. 1 & 2 and [i think] a Fullmetal Panic volume of some sort) have taken me just a little longer to read than a typical american comic book, which cost me less than half as much as a manga. To say nothing of the amount of entertainment I could get out of spending that much money on a full-fledged novel.

Edited by GhostMachine

Hikaru no Go is almost TOO good, in that it gives other people the idea that they too can take a sport/game that isn't THAT popular and make an anime series/manga out of it.

And if Prince of Tennis' anime is a decent indicator of their general quality, this is not a good idea.

The continued existence of Prince of Tennis is something that, were I more melodramatic to the point of impracticality, would keep me awake at night.

I remember back when my high school had a great anime club run by a charming lesbian couple and their friend, they would often bring in anime that they knew was awful just so we could all MST it and get that out of our systems before we watched actual good anime, and Prince of Tennis was one of the victims of this. Man, that is one ugly main character, I must say.

Hikaru no Go is almost TOO good, in that it gives other people the idea that they too can take a sport/game that isn't THAT popular and make an anime series/manga out of it.

And if Prince of Tennis' anime is a decent indicator of their general quality, this is not a good idea.