Tom Petty Vs RHCP

fourstarfizzle

Eh...they did the exact same thing with Jeff Buckley's Eternal Life riff with whatever that single was called off By The Way. Hardly surprises me.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't expect it to be so blatent. Matt Good sued someone (and won) on a far more tenuous similarity, so I have no doubt considering that apart from tempo it's exactly the same, that this will be a big money lawsuit if Tom needs the cash.

Anyway, I never really liked the song too much. Great video though.

I'd rather hear what RHCP have to say

Agent: "RHCP would like to apologize for accidentally copying this Tom Petty song. If we were aware that elements of "Dani California" were written by Tom Petty we would have either changed the song or asked him if it was okay for us to use them."

Or something to that tune.

Even if it was accidental Tom Petty could still sue if he wanted. I'm pretty sure that's how it went down with George Harrison when he was sued over "My Sweet Lord".

I'm pretty sure it's a sort of tribute. The music video also has them performing as a bunch of different bands as well (like The Misfits, Nirvana, etc).

Still, they could have said so, so this kind of argument didn't arise.

Maybe the whole album is likewise a tribue record?

I always thought the riff to "If" sounded kid of suspiciously like that Crazy Town song. :shifty: (In seriousness not really...just starts kind of similar)

Edited by YI

All four hundred and six songs?

...there's four hundred and six songs on Stadium Arcadium?

Wow. They've been busy.

I always thought the riff to "If" sounded kid of suspiciously like that Crazy Town song. :shifty: (In seriousness not really...just starts kind of similar)

Crazily enough, I thought "Butterfly" was a rip off of most of the RHCP songs that came before that song >_>