Paul Gleason Dead at 67

BlackFlagg

'Breakfast Club' principal Gleason dies 1 hour, 7 minutes ago

Paul Gleason, who played the go-to bad guy in "Trading Places" and the angry high school principal in "The Breakfast Club," has died. He was 67.

Gleason died at a local hospital Saturday of mesothelioma, a rare form of lung cancer linked to asbestos, said his wife, Susan Gleason.

"Whenever you were with Paul, there was never a dull moment," his wife said. "He was awesome."

A native of Miami, Gleason was an avid athlete. Before becoming an actor, he played Triple-A minor league baseball for a handful of clubs in the late 1950s.

Gleason honed his acting skills with his mentor Lee Strasberg, whom he studied with at the Actors Studio beginning in the mid-1960s, family members said.

Through his career, Gleason appeared in over 60 movies that included "Die Hard," "Johnny Be Good," and "National Lampoon's Van Wilder." Most recently, Gleason made a handful of television appearances in hit shows such as "Friends" and "Seinfeld."

Gleason's passions went beyond acting. He had recently published a book of poetry.

"He was an athlete, an actor and a poet," said his daughter, Shannon Gleason-Grossman. "He gave me and my sister a love that is beyond description that will be with us and keep us strong for the rest of our lives."

Actor Jimmy Hawkins, a friend of Gleason's since the 1960s, said he remembered Gleason for a sharp sense of humor.

"He just always had great stories to tell," Hawkins said.

Gleason was survived by his wife, two daughters and a granddaughter. Funeral plans were pending.

Since you guys know more than me, who did he play in Die Hard?

He was obviously bad ass in Breakfast Club and his exchanges with Judd Nelson is just the stuff of great film. RIP to a cool actor.

Aww man, The Breakfast Club is pretty much my favourite movie of all time and I adore Gleason in it, I'll never forget the first time I watched it thinking that it was a younger Mr McMahon, heh.

I've always thought that he was what made the film really, not just his exchanges with Bender in the film, but his exchanges with the cast off of camera, Judd is a method actor who chose to stay in character through the entire filming, and thus pissed off a lot of the workers, but Gleason defended his style and prevented his firing.

Can't say I've ever really thought of him as a fantastic actor but that one role still makes me sad he won't be around to entertain in other forms.

RIP 'Dick'

Aww man, The Breakfast Club is pretty much my favourite movie of all time and I adore Gleason in it, I'll never forget the first time I watched it thinking that it was a younger Mr McMahon, heh.

Heh...I had that same exchange with a friend of mine way back when. I was raised on the Breakfast Club, though, so this a real shame, I must say.

I second the "crack skulls in Heaven" statement.

*sings* "Won't you come see about me?

I'll be alone, dancing you know it baby..."