Best American Football Game for PS2

Guest muddatrucker

Guest muddatrucker

So, next year my university are forming an AF team, I'm interested in joining since I reckon it'd be something I'm good at, so, to help me learn the rules and get a feel for the game, rather than watching a boring superbowl, whats the best game for me to try on the PS2?

Madden 2006, hands down. There's a Madden 101 mode that teaches you what the formations and plays are for, though it's rather limited. I think the mode might be on earlier versions (possibly even 2004, I'm not sure) if you want a cheaper option, but I'd certainly go with the Madden series, it's more accessible for newbies to the game.

What University are you at? I tried out my first year for the Southampton Uni/Institute team, the Stags, but I was crap, unfit and all. This year they won the national title. There are a lot of Team GB and such players knocking around the universities too, so it might not be as easy as you'd think to get in.

EDIT: I'd also try and get hold of one of channel 4's old "Complete Beginner's Guide To American Football" progammes they used to show before every season. Gary Imlach hosted them and he was a fucking legend, knew the game really well, but was able to translate it well to the uninitiated.

Edited by Dragsy 7-0

Guest muddatrucker

Our Uni hasn't currently got a team but they're asking about for people who are interested regardless of experience, 10 people turned up to training, I'm pretty sure I'll get in...the team will just be shite.

University of Gloucestershire by the way.

Edited by muddatrucker

Either Madden or NCAA. As was previously stated, Madden has the 101 mode, so that might help you out.

Good luck with your team though, football is a great game and it's a helluva lot of fun to play.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Unless you're after realism - a game that would play and flow something like a real American football game, although not really explain things to you. In that case, go for NFL Blitz.

:shifty:

I hear the ESPN games are far more realistic, but since Madden has an exclusive license now you'd have to settle for a 2005 game. I don't think they have the 101 mode, though, which would be very helpful for what you want to do.

ESPN isn't as accessible though, and recommending a college game is just stupid, it's far too different to the pro game. And the only way to get NCAA games over here is via import.

Mudda, sounds like you guys are going to be playing both ways at this rate with so few turning up, hope you've got plenty of stamina :P

Useless information, I'm moving to Gloucstershire soon, is it nice?

Our Uni hasn't currently got a team but they're asking about for people who are interested regardless of experience, 10 people turned up to training, I'm pretty sure I'll get in...the team will just be shite.

University of Gloucestershire by the way.

Ohh..nothing like good ole smash mouth Iron Man football. Start working on your cardio and get your stamina up..playing both sides of the ball can be tiresom..even for linemen

Nah, College American Football isn't nearly as popular over here as the pro game was shown first. A couple of attempts at showing college stuff in the late 80s/early 90s didn't really work out, it's only since the arrival of the North American Sports Network a few eyars ago that it gets shown regularly again. It is getting more popular, but still nowhere near the NFL.

By the way, pro football doesn't exist in Britain, it's amateur or college. And it's more like the American pro game with regards to passing emphasis, lack of the option running game, and with regards to rules like the hashmark distance on the field and stuff and junk.

They folded years ago. And you can barely call it NFL Europe, 5 of the 6 teams are German, the other is from Amsterdam. The league is set to expand with two more franchises next year, but they're both German as well. And it's pretty much an NFL farm league. There are very few non-American players in teh league.

Edited by Dragsy 7-0

NFL Germany.....errrr, Europe is meant to be a farm leauge pretty much. But it's a damn good idea to get a farm league in Europe to get people over there into the sport. And iirc there's a requirement for each team to have one native player on each side of the ball.