The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

27 minutes ago, Lars Mulder said:

Is that run finished yet? or still going strong?

Is there any site where you guys keep track on what you've read?

Technically it finished before the whole convergence thing, so you can read it from start to finish.
There's a new Deadpool run out, but it takes place post-convergence 8 months later. It involves a few things from the past one, but nothing major that will confuse you.

All in all, if you like over the top humour, messing with the fourth wall, and a hero that never really takes situations serious, then it's a phenomenal volume from start to finish. Like Diem said, when it drops the emotional feels it doesn't feel cheapened by all the Deadpool humour.

Another one you should really read alongside is Hawkeye Vs. Deadpool, because it just works in a great way.

Also, read Hawkeye Vol. 4 too, that's phenomenal too. And you won't have to wait 6 months between issues like I had to do when I was actively waiting for it... The wait between the final 4-5 issues was absolutely brutal. The best comic in that time-period, but the shoddy release-schedule took out a lot of steam in the long run.

Edited by Jasonmufc
  • Like 1

The term 'volume' mostly come in effect for 'smaller' franchises that haven't really had year-long runs of their comics. And they generally work towards an ending of sorts, rather than just cycle stories until the series run out of favor.

It's changed a bit in the past somewhat years, with popular volumes being made into things that span multiple years on end and occassionally cycle storylines. But generally it's one story throughout that's wrapped up.

Hawkeye vol. 4 has 1/2 storylines throughout it's run that are wrapped up in the finale #22. It gets a bit more confusing when it was followed by All-New Hawkeye Vol. 1 in 2015, which only ran 5 issues because of the big Marvel convergence that reset all the issues to #1, so now there's All-New Hawkeye Vol. 2 that's ongoing and right now it includes quite a few elements from Vol. 1 (Yeah, 2015 was a bit of a clusterfuck with a bunch of starting volumes being abrubtly 'cancelled' and remade into a brand new volune.)

It gets even more confusing when volumes are cut up into volumes. Which mostly happens with the big franchises (e.g. X-Men), which span storylines inside the entire comic run. Which is done to give people an easy 'jump on' point for when they either want to catch up to old 'notable' stories, or want to start with a comic.

Another confusing example is the (awesome) 'The Invincible Iron Man' comic from '08-'12 written by Matt Fraction, it's 60 issues long, and after #33 it jumps to #500 when it was added to the main Iron Man continuity... Regardless of it being confusing, it's arguably one of the best portrayals of Tony Stark, so feel free to add yet another one to your list.

YAY for tax returns!!!!! Just sent off 35 books to CBCS for grading. 

Included in the submissions: 

Brave and Bold #29 (2nd app Justice League) 3.5 tops, likely a 2.5 to 3.  Still attached throughout and no major holes/tears though so here's hoping.

All Star Western #10 (1st Jonah Hex) Top end 7.5-8, likely a 7.  Tough Bronze Age book to find, especially in respectable grade.  got it for a steal so hoping for some gravy here.

Web of Mystery #5 (1951 ACE Magazines) should be fairly decent upper mid grade unless there's something I just didn't see.

Buck Rogers #1 (Gold Key 1964) small split at bottom spine (1/4 inch tops) keeps it from being superb ... should be upper mid, lower high grade.

Amazing SM #31 (1st Gwen Stacey) should be in the 4 range (hopefully not lower)

ASM #298 (1st McFarlane work on SM) this book should kill.  I really really really want a 9.8 on it, but anything lower than 9.6 and I'll be shocked.

select others .... Tomb of Dracula #10 (first Blade), Astonishing Tales #25 (First Deathlok and 1st George Perez work), Batman 234 (First Two Face since Golden Age), Action Comics 869 (recalled beer cover), Son of Satan 3 and 4 (30cent variants)

Should be a good group of books when I get them all back.  Decided to have the different tiers shipped as they're done so that way I get 3 days of awesome spread out instead of just one big ass one.  Breaks up the wait time significantly and was only a 20 dollar total diff in shipping.

I know I'm probably the last kind of person that should complain about a character getting overexposed or whatever since my favorite comics characters are Batman and Harley but goddamn the Deadpool surge is annoying me.

Right now i'm so very mild towards the new event Marvel's starting with Avengers Standoff, and then probably rolling that right into Civil War 2.0

We've just had Secret Wars and they couldn't even release that in a timely manner before they #1'd every series. And now most of the new imprints are barely at #6 and we're already getting two brand new events. I get that they're trying to capitalize off of the films right now, but right now is not the right moment to come with new events, and the fans are (rightfully) shitting on those announcements.

Marvel has always had a hard-on for crossover events, but it's getting real silly.

Yeah I am not happy with how Marvel is doing things but they have a bunch of books I am enjoying now. Power Man and Iron Fist, Squirrel Girl, and Patsy Walker just to name a few.

It's kinda like WWE. The main event scene is sucky overbooked garbage but the midcard is great

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Ziggy Srardust said:

Watched the panel about DC rebirth today and I am really interested. Plus they lowered the price of all their books to $2.99 and that's really appealing

I've read about this Rebirth thing (well, that it was happening), but I never actually bothered that much to know about it (mainly because I'm more of a Marvel guy than a DC guy), but now I might as well ask, what is it about? It's not another reboot, is it? How will the New 52 universe be impacted? Can anyone help?

It's not a reboot, just a renumbering as far as I can tell - Marvel NOW but for DC.

Some crazy interesting books listed. Tom King on Batman will be an instant buy for me. Scott Snyder All Star Batman too. Tynion IV's Detective Comics, Tomasi & Gleason reunited for Superman is crazy cool. If I had the money I'd pick up Titans and Aquaman based of Abnett alone. And fucking Greg Rucka back on Wonder Woman, what the fuck!?

There's also rumors of a Johnathon Hickman JLA run... I've never cared for JLA (being the legacy comic it is and not caring for the older DCU) but Hickman would make it an instant purchase for me. That'd also be an insane pick up for DC after the man ran the best crossover since Civil War for Marvel.

It sucks that Robin: Son of Batman is disappearing into the ether. I'm not really interested in Teen Titans or Super Sons, so my Damien Wayne fix is going to be lacking.

Edited by TKzo Amore
  • Like 1

All New X-Men is actually amazing, the whole time displaced gimmick works well, Wolverine is pretty much a side character which is always welcomed as I am personally burned out on the character, I was invested in all five original characters, Kitty Pryde is front and center for most of the run. Love it.

This should be the X-Comic that's front and center.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...