Have your music tastes 'evolved'

Guest Angry Baboon

Guest Angry Baboon

I was recently looking through my playlist, and I realised how much my music tastes have changed over the past few years, heck, over the past few months even.

I've done a timeline.....! (I have too much time on my hands :P)

2001 (Age 15) Limp Bizkit, KoRn, Mudvayne, Papa Roach, Faith No More, Nirvana, Opeth, Metallica, Puddle of Mudd, Eminem.

2002 (Age 16) Faith No More, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Metallica, Spunge, Mudhoney, Alice in Chains, Jimi Hendrix, Beatles, NWA

2003 (Age 17) Faith Mo More, Pearl Jam, Led Zeppelin, Beatles, Tool, Neil Young, Fleetwood Mac, Blur, SoundGarden

2004 (JANUARY, Age 18) Sigur Ros, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Pixies, Pearl Jam, Bob Dylan, REM, Radiohead, Sonic Youth

2004 (JULY, Age 19) Roxy Music, Talking Heads, Pixies, Joy Division, Velvet Underground, Tom Waits (Thanks Kou :thumbs-up:), Aphex Twin, Bjork, Syd Barrett, Neutral Milk Hotel, Brian Eno, King Crimson.

Wow.

So, How have yours 'evolved'? Or have you always listened to the same stuff? I look back to late 2003 and I never thought i'd find myself listening to New wave.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definently. I used to listen to rap, mainly Dr Dre and Tupac, but over the last few years I began listening almost purely to rock/metal/punk type stuff. Even then I used to love Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park, but now I prefer stuff like RHCP, Eric Clapton and Queen.

Mine's been very similar to how it was when I first got into music. From an early-ish age my brother would pound bands like Oasis (still my favourite band), The Charlatans, Pulp, Ocean Colour Scene etc into my head non-stop.

Since then I've gone on to bands like Supergrass, The Libertines, Muse...but it's the same kind of thing I guess, and I still love the bands that he used to play to me.

So I have my brother to thank for my musical tastes now.

Definently.  I used to listen to rap, mainly Dr Dre and Tupac, but over the last few years I began listening almost purely to rock/metal/punk type stuff.  Even then I used to love Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park, but now I prefer stuff like RHCP, Eric Clapton and Queen.

Same here, I used to only listen to Rap, and very little Rock, but one day I just got bored of Rap, and started listening to Rock. Now Rock is mostly all I listen to, save for a few Rap Songs.

In 2000/2001, I listened to Southern Rap. 2002/2003 I used to listen to that MTV 'rock' shit.

Then Cloudy, Bas & Lodi forced me to listen to metal. real metal. I'm now listening to Cradle Of Filth, Obituary, Opeth, Dimmu Borgir, The Haunted, Children Of Bodom, etc.

Yeah, I'd say my tastes have evolved.

1992 (Age 8) - Metallica, Faith No More, Sepultura, Suicidal Tendencies

1994 (Age 10) - Nirvana, Offspring, Pearl Jam, STP, Nine Inch Nails, Pantera

1996-1997 (Age 12-13) - Smashing Pumpkins, KMFDM, Sheryl Crow, Seven Mary Three, 311, Presidents of the United States of America, Bush, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rage Against the Machine, Weird Al Yankovic, KoRn, Garbage, Hendrix, Bob Marley (1996 was a really strange year for me and was when I really started getting heavily into music, other than just what my brothers listened to). Most of these bands I continued to listen to after these two years, but I won't continue to list them since they really don't prove any evolution of my tastes, this is just when I started getting into them.

1998-1999 (Age 14-15) - Rob Zombie, Buckcherry, System of a Down, Smashing Pumpkins, Local H

2000-2001 (Age 16-17) - Kid Rock, Ozzy, Kittie, Taproot, Reveille, Soulfly, Disturbed, Static-X, Godsmack, Perfect Circle, Outkast, DMX, Jay-Z, Wu-Tang, just about anything from the 80s, David Allen Coe, Deftones, - Despite a few I didn't really go into some thug phase, but I realized how fucking stupid I was for swearing off rap when I was a kid and really started to appreciate it more as a form of music. I had listened to Wu-Tang, Biggie, and other rap artists throughout the years, but rock really sucked in 2001, and I got into rap and other music I had missed out on in my younger years.

2002 (Age 18) - This was around the time when I got really tired with music and went back to older stuff that I listened two four or five years earlier. Really got back into NIN and Manson around this period.

2003 (Age 19) - This was when I really started appreciating/rediscovering chick bands/lead singers: The Donnas, TaTu, Sheryl Crow, Snake River Conspiracy, Evanescence, Curve, and of course I've always loved Garbage. My love of the 80s continued growing here.

Early 2004 (Age 20) - Pretty much nothing but 80s, I was working on the 80s radio station and became very engrossed in the music, history, and culture.

Mid 2004 (Age 20) (Present Day) - Modest Mouse, Franz Ferdinand, Velvet Revolver, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, The Killers

Edited by Zero

I rarely listened to music when I was younger. I first started buying CD's when I was 13, when I got Linkin Park's "Hybrid Theory" But my tastes haven't changed much, I still listen to the same genres as I did 3 or 4 years ago.

My musical tastes basically reflected the amount of interest and restrictions I've had on my listening ability.

For example, my first taste of music was country (newly-discovered stars like Travis Tritt & Marty Stuart, as well as legends like George Jones and Hank Williams Sr.) because my dad would have it constantly playing. As I was able to hear more and more of what my mother was listening to, I became more intrigued by old-school rock because it had more energy to it. Thus, Foreigner, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, and various other bands crept into my then-10-year-old mindset.

That stuck with me until about the age of 13, when I started to dig deeper into other genres out of sheer desire to. I discovered Green Day, Beck, Metallica, The Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, and most importantly, Soundgarden. That was the band the opened my eyes to various other genres, because they weren't afraid to include other influences in their work. To this day, Soundgarden remains one of my favorite bands, despite the other endeavors they've gone itno.

I stuck with grunge/hard rock until my freshman year of high school, when jazz started to peak my interest. I joined the school jazz band and just jumped headfirst into Count Basie, Glenn Miller, John Coltrane, etc. While it's never dominated my ears at any particular time, it's never left my interest either.

From jazz I dipped into industrial music, mainly because of Nine Inch Nails and Ministry. Fear Factory and Static-X sent me further into investigation, and it's another genre I've yet to want to leave.

Industrial gave way to rap/hip-hop, mainly because of Tupac Shakur and Notorious B.I.G. I was fairly unaware of the "east/west coast" feud, because I didn't follow the news as closely as I do now.

Finally, I've settled into an amalgamation of numerous genres, as my CD collection goes from Coltrane & Norah Jones to Beastie Boys to Static-X to Abandoned Pools to Tool and back to Elgar. While I may get in the mood for a certain type of music every now and then, I always wind up returning to different kinds of music with time.

So for those who didn't want to read all that:

Age 1-9: Travis Tritt, Marty Stuart, George Jones, Hank Williams Jr., & Hank Williams Sr.

Age 10-12: Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Three Dog Night, Foreigner, Loverboy, & Alice Cooper

Age 13-15: Smashing Pumpkins, Green Day, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Beck, Metallica, & Alice In Chains

Age 15-17: Soundgarden, John Coltrane, Count Basie, Glenn Miller, Miles Davis, & Thelonious Monk.

Age 18: Soundgarden, Fear Factory, Nine Inch Nails, Static-X, Dr. Dre, Tupac Shakur, & Ministry.

Age 19-current: Norah Jones, Primus, Soundgarden, Static-X, Tool, Abandoned Pools, John Coltrane, Beastie Boys, Sarah McLachlan, & Days Of The New.

I remember that it was only about 4-5 years ago where I was singing 'Mmm Bop'. C'mon I know you guys did it as well!

Now I've evolved into D12, Eminem, Velvet Revolver, New Found Glory, Mushroomhead

I guess you could say that I'ma mixed rap/rock/punk boy. In a few years I'll be listening to more of the 'Squancho' music, most likely.

I also barely listened to music when I was younger. I'd say that rather than my music taste 'evolving', it's just been added to, i.e. I still like the things I used to like. In fact, the very earliest things on my list are still some of the coolest... *puts on some Republica*

For example, moving along in some sort of chronological 'stages':

- Blur, No Doubt, Republica, Oasis, Cardigans, Queen, etc.

- Linkin Park, The Offspring, Nirvana, Puddle of Mudd, System of a Down, Green Day, Muse, Nickelback, etc. (what I refer to as my n00b stage)

- Metallica, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Rage Against The Machine, Saliva, Drowning Pool, Rob Zombie, Jimi Hendrix, The Clash, etc.

- 12 Stones, Breaking Point, Evanescence, Creed, Godsmack, etc.

- The UNRELENTING influx of Japanese music... :P

...and that pretty much brings us to the modern day.

Age 10 - Limp Bizkit, Nirvana, Sex Pistols, Everclear, Uncle Cracker, Blink 182.

This was when I just started to get into music. Some of the bands seem like shit, but I was really into them. This was when Limp Bizkit was actually solid, I actually listen to them occasionally now. Everclear was decent, I own one of their CDs.

Age 11 - Limp Bizkit, Mudvayne, Blink 182, Nirvana, Linkin Park, Tupac, Biggie, The Beastie Boys, 50 Cent, Eminem.

This was as much of a "rap stage" as I've ever had. I just got sick of most of it after a while. It's so painfully trite, and there's so many morons who are obsessed with it. The saddest part is that they're the same morons who listened to boy bands, and they're the same morons who'll be obsessed with the next "popular" fad. Wiggers.

Age 12 - System of a Down, Evanescence, Blink 182, Linkin Park, Good Charlotte, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Anti-Flag, Radiohead, Tupac, Jet, Queen, R.E.M, Lacuna Coil, Disturbed, NOFX.

I started discovering more stuff last year. Sifting through my parents' collection, talking to people who like more distinct music, the Internet, random Kazaa searches (that's how I got into Radiohead), and more things contributed to this "revolution" in me. This leads to now...

Now (Age 13) - Bad Religion, Metallica, Opeth, Dream Theater, Soundgarden, Alice Cooper, Radiohead, R.E.M., Led Zeppelin, NOFX, Lost Prophets, The Eagles, Fugazi, GOB, Cannibal Corpse, Weezer, Dropkick Murphy's, Smashing Pumpkins, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Tool, Bon Jovi, Everclear, Lacuna Coil, The Sex Pistols, The Who, Disturbed, Evanescence (check their stuff from "Origin", they are SO much above most "pop-nu-metal" bands), Nine Inch Nails, Judas Priest, KISS, Iron Maiden, Hüsker Dü, Minor Threat, Social Distortion, Sunny Day Real Estate.

The list speaks for itself.

Guest StreetzHopin

iv gone from Jay-Z, Baha Men, Sisqo & Wu tang Clan to 2Pac, Yukmouth, NWA & Nas....big improvement.....almost got into a rock stage, but saved myself in time,lol

I have the strangest taste in music, so I'm told.

I really started buying CD's when I was 14 I think. I have a few different genres in my collection.

Country(Alt.Country, Classic Country, New Country, Outlaw Country): Johnny Cash (American's 1-4, San Quentin, Uneathed, VH1 Storytellers, The Road Goes On Forever[Highwaymen] and The Highwayman Collection), Alan Jackson (Drive), Willie Nelson(The Great Divide, Live and Kickin', The Essential, Waylon and Willie, Highywaymen: The Road Goes on Forever and The Highwayman Collection) , Toby Keith(Unleashed), Kris Kristofferson (Broken Freedom Song, The Highwayman Collection and The Road Goes On Forever), Waylon Jennings (Highywayman Collection and The Road Goes On Forever, Waylon and Willie), Glen Campbell (Rhinestone Cowboy : The Best Of...), Kenny Rogers (...and The First Edition), Steve Earle (Transcendental Blues)

Rock(Classic, Folk, Soft): George Harrison (Brainwashed), Bob Dylan (Desire, John Wesley Harding, The Essential, Time Out Of Mind), Bruce Springsteen (The Rising, Live: 1975-85, The Wild, Innocent and The E-Street Shuffle), Neil Young (Harvest), John Lennon (Lennon Legend), Paul Simon (The Best Of), Billy Joel (The Ultimate Collection), Lou Reed (The Raven)

Folk: Leonard Cohen (The Essential, Songs From A Room, Ten New Songs, The Future), Arlo Guthrie (The Mystic Journey)

Soundtrack: WWF: The Music Vol.5

Rap: Wycleff Jean (It Doesn't Matter: Single, I only got it cause I liked the Rock at the time :shifty: )

Age 11: Sugar Ray, Goo Goo Dolls, Aerosmith, Smash Mouth

Age 12: Korn, Limp Bizkit, Kid Rock

Age 13: Nelly, Mystikal, Nirvana, Eminem, Papa Roach

Age 14: Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Beastie Boys,REM, Foo Fighters( Most of the current mainstream rock)

Age 15: STP, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Metallica

Age 16-Now: Led Zeppelin, the Who, the Toadies, Deftones,

Late 90s: Rap since all the other kids my age (10-11) were listening to it.

2000: Nu-Metal since I was an angsty rebel (12-13).

2001-2002: Classic Rock, other mainstream (14).

2003-2004: Metal, Industrial, Electronica, and a bunch of other music (15-16).

So yes, a massive evolution in my musical tastes.

Guest Rubber Band Man

Let see... I listened to country music for a good long while and then got into rap music and then Rock music.

Now I listen to just about everything except Techno, classical and Jazz... My favorite type of music was The hair bands from the 80's

Such as Posion, Motley Crue, Guns 'N' Roses etc....

I went from listening to pop music (I even bought the Britney Spear's CD) to bands like Limp Bizkit, Korn, Linkin Park to listen to some rap like Nelly, Ja Rule, Ludacris to listening to more mellow rock (I guess you can call it "emo") like Dashboard Confessional, Sugarcult, Thursday, Yellowcard etc. which is what I listen to now.

I went from Zeppelin, Sabbath, Hendrix, etc. to MTV Rap when I was entering my pre-teen years, to Metallica, and from there on I discovered a whole assload of better music. The end. oh, I also re-acquired my taste for Zeppelin, Sabbath, & Hendrix etc. although I didn't really "lose" it :P

Guest 12characters

Not really evolved. All the kids at primary were into rap so I gave it a try. Had a dance music phase in Intermediate, but entering High School it was all rock and will forever be.

2001 (14) - Rock from the radio. Starting to get into stuff like Manson.

2002 (15) - Nirvana discovered. Starting to get into metal.

2003 (16) - Into metal and grunge.

2004 (17) - Diversifying. Currently into metal, grunge and even radio stuff like Foo Fighters but also discovered bands like Pink Floyd, Led Zep and Hendrix.

I'll basically listen to anything rock, except that nu-punk horseshit.

Edited by 12characters

i started with country music went to rap then went to rock then horrorcore music and then icp styled stuff then to 80 style rock and then finally to all girl bands such as kittie and myruin