Have your music tastes 'evolved'

Guest Angry Baboon

I think my "Music Evolution", so to speak, is kind of funny...

AGE 10 (1994-1995) - Andrew Lloyd Weber

AGE 11 (1995-1996) - The Soundtrack to Twister

AGE 12 (1996-1997) - See above.

AGE 13 (1997-1998) - The Chumbawumbas and Smash Mouth (because of two songs....I wonder what they were....)

AGE 14 (1998-1999) - Billy Joel

AGE 15 (1999-2000) - AC/DC

AGE 16 (2000-2001) - AC/DC, Limp Bizkit, KISS, the B52's,

AGE 17 (2001-2002) - AC/DC, Metallica, POD, Rob Zombie, Guns 'n' Roses, Saliva, Van Halen, Judas Priest,

AGE 18 (2002-2003) - AC/DC, Motley Crue, Steel Dragon (fictional band from "Rock Star), Bon Jovi, Sweet, Led Zepplin

AGE 19 (2003-Present) - AC/DC, John Carpenter, Duran Duran, 80's music, Low Fidelity All-Stars, Juno Reactor

From show music to Rock/Techno and New Wave

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The earliest I can remember, I started listening to Finnish 80's & 90's rock music simply because that's what we had in the house. After that, came a heavy MTV phase, which has now gradually evolved and dumped me into a mismatched world of metal, industrial music (Static-X live = ownage), jrock, punk and "misc."

Oh yeah, the Finnish rock is still there too.

Age 8- Ozzy Osbourne, Metallica, TLC, New Kids On The Block, and The Offspring

Age 9- Ozzy Osbourne, The Offspring, KoRn, The Spice Girls, and Limp Bizkit

Age 10- Ozzy Osbourne, Weird Al Yankovic, Queen, Steve Miller Band, Rob Zombie, P.O.D. and Tom Jones

Age 11- Ozzy Osbourne, Weird Al Yankovic, Marc Cohn, Queen, Steve Miller Band, Taco, Rob Zombie, P.O.D. and Creed

Age 12- same as age 11

Age 13- Ozzy Osbourne, Weird Al Yankovic, Steve Miller Band, Rob Zombie, Shinedown, Bruce Springsteen, Marc Cohn, Cher and Rick Springfield

I dont really listen to much heavy metal.

well for me I have always liked Blink 182 from the day I first heard them but then I don't remember ages but the years go by something like this.

- Weird Al - Thats all I liked along with Blink 182 at one point

- Sugar Ray, Lots of mix CD's(Much Dance, Big Shiny Tunes etc.), Barenaked Ladies

- Limp Bizkit, Kid Rock, Will Smith, Movie Soundtracks

- Linkin Park, Eminem, Sum 41, Nickelback, Creed

which brings us to now

- Blink 182, Three Days Grace, CKY, Cold, Hoobastank, Evanescence, Bryan Adams, Dashboard Confessional, Yellowcard, Ill Nino, AFI, Boxcar Racer, Usher (ok only the song "Yeah"), The Ataris, Jet, and Avril Lavigne (as much as it hurts to say that but hey I am canadian)

Yes, my tastes have evolved extremely, when I was young, were i was brought up, it was a very "pop" culture, so I was brought up on pop music and club music sadly. Eventually I got invovled in the early nu metal movement and loved the likes of Korn, Limp Bizkit, etc. Over the years, my love for music evolved and became more diverse, now I listen so much, from experimental jazz by Esbjorn Svensson Trio, to psychotic heavy metal by the Dillinger Escape Plan. I don't tie myself down to any genre anymore.

My music taste has evolved in the sense that I now appreciate more kinds of music mostly the guitar work of Steve Vai and Joe Satriani, things that I would have quickly dismissed at an earlier stage in my life. Truth be told, I still have my guilty pleasures that I liked some time ago, bands such as The Offspring, Stain'd and even the odd Limp Bizkit but all-in-all I find myself enjoying music that I never did see the interest towards; Tool, Dream Theater, Queensryche, Neil Young, Hendrix.

Guest bruins72

My music taste has definately evolved over the past 20 years or so. When I was a kid, I just listened to whatever my parents play and some of it was pretty laughable. They listened to Neil Diamond, Kenny Rogers, and a bunch of that light pop stuff from the 70's and early 80's. They listened to some good stuff too, like the Beach Boys, Billy Joel, The Beatles, and others. I dabbled in some old school rap in the early 80's like Whodini, Fat Boys, Run DMC, and all that. By the mid-80's I started getting into a classic rock and hair bands. I also listened to a little rap that one of my friends exposed me to. In the mid to late 80's up through the early 90's I was into metal. Of course, I was into the grunge thing in the early to mid 90's. During this same time I had a friend that got me listening to a little bit of rap and R&B. By the mid-90's I was listening to a bunch of the pop "alternative" stuff and whatever other rock was getting airplay. I also started getting into DMB and some more mellow stuff around then. By the 2000's I was pretty open to all the music I had listened to in my past (even the goofy stuff my parents used to play) and open to checking out more. Now I listen to a pretty broad spectrum of music. I like stuff from the 50's up through the present. I listen to all sorts of styles of music (although I'm not really a country fan and don't like much of the new rap, hip-hop, or R&B stuff). I can go from listening to the Dropkick Murphys, to Jack Johnson, to a string quartet tribute to Rush, to Hendrix, to Limp Bizkit, to Dr Dre, to Elton John. One of these day I should post my list of MP3s. I've almost reached 10,000 songs.

When i was younger (8 or 9) i was into Rap, and nothing else. I hated rock with a passion for some reason. The main people i liked were Jay Z and 2Pac. I then went into a Rock stage, listening to Nirvana, Metallica, Staind, Rob Zombie and stuff of that sort. Now I regained my love of Rap, and still love Rock music too. I mainly like Biggie, 2Pac, Jay-Z, Canibus, Immortal Technique, Chevelle, Reveille, Flaw, Staind, Sevendust and some other stuff i cant think of at the moment.

So to make this easier....

- 8 or 9 - Jay Z and 2Pac

-10-15 - Nirvana, Metallica, Staind, Rob Zombie

- 16- present - Biggie, 2Pac, Jay-Z, Canibus, Immortal Technique, Chevelle, Reveille, Flaw, Staind, Sevendust

1993 (Age 5): The Sex Pistols, The Clash, Bob Marley, Black Uhuru. THANKS, DAD!!!! :thumbs-up:

Second Half 1999 (Age 11): Eminem, Dr.Dre. My horrible rap phaze, dawg.

First Half 2000 (Age 12): Slipknot, Papa Roach, Limp Bizkit. Terrible nu-metal phase. Quickly over.

Second Half 2000 (Age 12): Goldfinger, Blink 182, Toploader. Pop-Punk and Indie. Meh.

2001 (Age 13): The Clash, Pennywise, Capdown, Sex Pistols, Less Than Jake, Reel Big Fish, Catch 22, Dropkick Murphys. Punk-ish stuff mixed with a horrible and inexpliacable like for ska.

2002 (Age 14): [same Bands] + Billy Bragg, Rancid, The Jam, Bad Brains, Lars & The Bastards, Dead Kennedys, Operation Ivy, TSOL, Nirvana

2003 (Age 15): [similar Bands Minus The Ska] + The Strokes, Adequate Seven, The Descendents, The Ataris (!!!!????), The Gorrila Biscuits, Warsawpack, Refused

Early 2004 (Age 16): [same Bands Minus The Ataris] + Angry Samoans, The Adolescents + Pearl Jam (!!!???), The Libertines, Black Flag, Minor Threat, Fugazi, Million Dead, Radiohead (!!!???), At the Drive in. Pixies, The Smiths.

RIGHT NOW (Age 16): Million Dead, Agent Orange, Richard Hell & The Voidoids, Circle Jerks, New York Dolls, The Ordinary Boys, Bloc Party, Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros, Kasabian, Mission of Burma, Gang of Four, Sonic Youth, Dead Boys, The Velvet Underground. The Vibrators.

But some bands from my 'older' period I still listen to. Bad Brains, TSOL, Capdown, Adequate Seven. I can still listen to those bands. Also some bands have never been part of an 'era' although I have their CD or MP3s. Mars Volta, Sparta, Stiff Little Fingers, The Damned and Joy Division to name a few.

Normally I have a set of five-ten bands I listen to for a month, burn a CD of their stuff, then move on. Going through old comp CDs is great nostalgia.

Edited by Emperor Fuckshit

When I was young: the music that was in the charts

When I was going trough puberty: Metal

Now: Wide range from REM till Beastie Boys till Chhemical Brothers till Black Sabbath

I've went through 4 stages:

6-10: Pop. Pure horrible pop, and dance.

11-12: Shit indie. Travis, Dodgy etc.

13-14: More heavy, heavier than now

15+: An eclectic mix really. Heavy rock, indie, good dance, trip-hop, etc.

Mine has evolved hugely.

Oi Emperor, What's with the (!!!!??) next to Radiohead :(

That makes me sad.

I have a love-hate relationship with 'Oh No! A Radio on my Head'. They're good but in an annoying kind of way. However, all my friends are Radiohead fans, so it would be problematic if I really hated them. And Thom Yorke has an annoying face.

I liked some silly shit when I was younger.

1990 (Age 5) - Motley Crue, MC Hammer, Kool Moe Dee (Interesting...)

1993 (Age 8) - Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Onyx, Tag Team (I liked rap at this point, but it was more of an older brother influence)

1994 (Age 9) - Black Sabbath, Alice Cooper, (This is when I discovered rock and roll)

1995 (Age 10) - The Doors, The Who, Guess Who, The Beatles, Green Day(This when I started checking out my parents cd's. Green Day was an acquired taste however)

1996 (Age 11) - Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Iron Butterfly, Pearl Jam, Rage Against the Machine, Beastie Boys, Jimi Hendrix (I was getting into the current music, but also still enjoyed the classics)

1997 (Age 12) - Alice in Chains, Iron Butteryfly (Two cool bands, but music was starting to not interest me at this point)

1998 (Age 13) - Rammstein (I thought they were pretty cool, but still, music was boring me)

1999 (Age 14) - Suicidal Tendencies, White Zombie, Anthrax, Snot, Nevermore (These bands helped perk my interest in music, great shit)

2000 (Age 15) - The Ramones, Sex Pistols, The Dead Boys, The Dictators, Fear, Dead Kennedys, Richard Hell and the Voidoids, Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers (This is when I got into punk, and didn't really look back from here. My interest in music has been high ever since this period)

2001 (Age 16) - The Adolescents, Bad Brains, Chaos UK, The Germs, Battalion of Saints, The Clash, Reagan Youth, Unsane, The Dwarves (Like I said, it's obvious I started tuning into more bands after 2000)

2002 (age 17) - Sham 69, Anti Nowhere League, Cockney Rejects, Combat 84, 4 Skins, Peter and the Test Tube Babies, D.O.A., D.I., Nomeansno, X, The Weirdos, Oi Polloi, D.R.I, The Mentors, G.G. Allin (This is the period when I began listening to alot of Oi punk. I managed to check out alot of stuff at this time)

2003 (Age 18) - The Lewd, Circle Jerks, The Screamers, The Offs, Feederz, Heart Attack, The Saints, The Cramps, Kraut, The Dils, The Sonics, The Monks, Reverend Horton Heat, The Mummies (More punk, but other good shit as well)

2004 (Age 19) - Black Randy and the Metrosquad, The Dicks, The Gears, The Plugz, M.D.C. (That's about it to date)

Basically I still like almost everything I have listed with some exceptions. Basically when I first heard the Ramones, they instantly had me as a fan. From there I got into everything (and alot more) that I listed here. Lately I've also been enjoying some of the great rock and roll acts of the 1950s.

AGE 13 - Slipknot, Mudvayne, Nirvana, Pantera, Smashing Pumpkins, Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains. Basically, I was pretty much a trend rock fan - although I never dressed like most of the kids who listen to metal then or now. I still listen to those bands though, there are very few cd's I regret buying.

AGE 17 (Now) - I still listen to stuff like Pantera and Mudvayne (I love their timing changes) but more diverse metal ranging from Sikth to Nile. Older rock bands like Fugazi or Black Flagg are also in the CD rack. Also electronic music like DJ Shadow, Mad Capsule Markets, Squarepusher or Aphex which I wouldn't have touched 5 years ago. I really like more mellow acoustic stuff - Damien Rice for example - and listen to a lot of older music like James Brown and Stevie Wonder. Alice in Chains are still one of my favourite bands. I also like some rap stuff - Dizzy Rascal, Wu Tang, De La Soul.

Basically although my preferred music is still mainly metal/rock, but I'm generally more accepting of music than I was four or five years ago. Basically, I'm still heavily into timing and key changes; music that is challenging, but I can listen and buy just about anything.

Edited by fineintent

As a youngster I vaguely remember being really excited by the 80s synth-electro of the time. I then went to some strange period of life with pop.....

And then....

1995 (Age 14/15) Indie rock.

1998 (A Levels) Indie/rock/punk.

1999 (Uni 1st year) Trance *shudders *

2000 (Uni 2nd year) Hard House / Techno

2001 (Uni 3rd year) Electronica / Breakbeat

2002 (End of uni and working!) Electroclash, avant garde electronica

2003 onwards (Pretty much present) Intelligent Dance Music.

Bow down to Bjork, Aphex Twin, Gary Numan, Autechre, Air, Goldfrapp, Ladytron, Chemical Brothers, Muse, Kid606, Kraftwerk, Add N To (X) and more...

Oh and since 1999 I've been a huge fan of CLASSICAL MUSIC! Especially Wagner, Orff and Beethoven.

12/13 - U2, Rob Zombie, Guns & Roses, Metallica, Nirvana

14/15 - Old school metal, mostly.

Now (17) - The Smiths, Jeff Buckley, Morrissey, Tim Buckley, Patti Smith, The Cure, HIM, New York Dolls, Pink Grease, Joy Division, KMFDM...

Evolved is certainly one word.