Have your music tastes 'evolved'

Guest Angry Baboon

I just listen to pop. I'm not ashamed to admit it. I like songs by all types of artists right now I'm really into Everytime, Dip it Low, Roses, the new BEP one - lets get it started. I dont understand why people are so slamming of pop etc. as some of it does sound good and is well liked by people and most radio stations recognise that and play it. I'm loving work exp at SGR right now because I've heard some of the demos of new songs that will be coming out soon. Plus songs constantly getting played makes me seem to like come round to them and like them for example dip it low.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just listen to pop. I'm not ashamed to admit it. I like songs by all types of artists right now I'm really into Everytime, Dip it Low, Roses, the new BEP one - lets get it started. I dont understand why people are so slamming of pop etc. as some of it does sound good and is well liked by people and most radio stations recognise that and play it. I'm loving work exp at SGR right now because I've heard some of the demos of new songs that will be coming out soon. Plus songs constantly getting played makes me seem to like come round to them and like them for example dip it low.

I like some pop - Goldfrapp, and the Goldfrapp ripper-off-erers, Rachel Stevens and Girls Aloud. <_<

Mine's been very similar to how it was when I first got into music. From an early-ish age my brother would pound bands like Oasis (still my favourite band), The Charlatans, Pulp, Ocean Colour Scene etc into my head non-stop.

Since then I've gone on to bands like Supergrass, The Libertines, Muse...but it's the same kind of thing I guess, and I still love the bands that he used to play to me.

So I have my brother to thank for my musical tastes now.

Well this just saved me some typing:

Mine's been very similar to how it was when I first got into music. From an early-ish age my cousins would pound bands like Oasis (still my favourite band), The Charlatans, Pulp, Ocean Colour Scene etc into my head non-stop.

Since then I've gone on to bands like Supergrass, The Libertines, Muse...but it's the same kind of thing I guess, and I still love the bands that they used to play to me.

So I have my cousins to thank for my musical tastes now.

I've went through 4 stages:

6-10: Pop. Pure horrible pop, and dance.

11-12: Shit indie. Travis, Dodgy etc.

13-14: More heavy, heavier than now

15+: An eclectic mix really. Heavy rock, indie, good dance, trip-hop, etc.

Mine has evolved hugely.

How dare you insult the mighty Dodgy?!? Damn ye!!!

I have had a few patches so to speak.

First of all, like all young kids it is pop music, then I moved onto R&B, then I had a phase where all I listened to was rap, Eminem, Dre, 2Pac, then I listened to Limp Bizkit, Linkin PArk non-stop.

Now I just listen to anything I like, wether it be pop, R&B, Rock or rap.

Way back in the day (like pre-1990) - not even sure. I hear a lot of MTV and WAAF music. Bruins should give me a clue here.

1991 to 1997 (ages 6-12) - whatever my parents liked. Mostly slow love songs, some 80s hits

1997 to 1999 (ages 12-14) - pretty much abandoning old tastes for east coast rap. DMX, Biggie, Puffy, Jay-Z

1999 to 2002 (ages 14-17) - adding slight rock and adult contemp flavor. Plus some West Coast. Pac, Dre, Eminem. Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, POD. Few hit songs, not teenybop. Still mostly New York rap.

2002 to present - more shift towards southern/crunk style rap. And lesser known rap artists. Closet fan of 80s hits, some slow jams too. I can tolerate a bit more - with different genres. If it's popular and overplayed, I hate it though.

Most people I know, esp. from college, think I listen to nothing but Southern rap. Although that's not always the case.

Guest bukkake bandit

2001 - Papa Roach, Linkin Park, Slipknot, ICP, Twiztid

2002 - Placebo, Placebo, Placebo.

2003 - Tool, A Perfect Circle, Nine Inch Nails, Placebo, Faith No More

2004 - Basically 2003 mixed in with Dashboard Confessional, Taking Back Sunday, Brand New, and Thursday. Weird mix.

Yes and no.

Pre 2000 - Trendwhore. With a bit of Pixies, Pearl Jam and Nirvana thrown in (Brother's influence)

2000 - TOP 5 - Ash, Placebo, Pennywise, Goldfinger, Feeder

2001 - TOP 5 - Muse, Radiohead, AFI, Ash, 88 Fingers Louie

2002 - TOP 5 - Pennywise, 4ft Fingers, Alien Ant Farm, Alkaline Trio, Killswitch Engage (Yes it does seem weird compared to the rest lol)

2003 - TOP 5 - Funeral for a Friend, Muse, Alkaline Trio, Stone Sour, Dinosaur Junior

2004 - TOP 10 - The Killers, Alkaline Trio, Dream Theatre, Rise Against, Ash, Franz Ferdinand, The Pixies, Pennywise, Mudhoney, Slipknot.

I get bored pretty easily, so bands come and go. When a band release a new album etc, I get into them again. See Ash and Pennywise. And I jsut took Dinosaur Junior off my lsit to put in Ash.

Edited by YI

I grew up on country, real country, not that shit they play today, I'm talking 'My wife left and I'm going to drink my ass into oblivion' shit, or some 'I got a ton of beer let's have a fucking party' shit, like Hank Williams Jr.

Then I was exposed to gangsta rap, and got into that phase, more as a rebellion against country then anything. Rap carried me through HS.

Then I got into rock, like KoRn and commercial shit.

Now, I have a pretty weird tastes. My playlist is anything from KoRn, to Atmosphere, to Lynyrd Skynyrd, to Rotterdamn Terror Corps to Suicidal Tendencies and Faith No More.

Guest bruins72

Way back in the day (like pre-1990) - not even sure.  I hear a lot of MTV and WAAF music.  Bruins should give me a clue here.

Pre-90's WAAF? I'm guessing they played a lot of hairbands and some stuff like Metallica too. Back then I used to listen to WHJY (out of RI) more than WAAF and I listed to tapes a lot (CDs hadn't caught on).

Yeah, when I was littler and and first got into music, I listened to rap and thought that rock was kinda annoying. But once I moved to Wisconsin, for some reason, my musical tastes changed to rock. Now I'm even deeper into rock and the metal scene. I remember when I was little my sister told me that I would get into rock when I got older and I dismissed it at the time, but it looks like she was right. My family's based on rock so ya' know. I still listen to some rap, but mostly just rock and metal and stuff. So yeah, my musical tastes have changed.

Guest Hurricane

In 2000, I liked the new 'rappers' (as my mom called them) from Detroit. They were Kid Rock and Eminem. (Yes I know, Kid Rock is not rap, but my mom thought any song that said 'fuck' or 'bitch' or 'shit' was rap. Long story.)

In 2001, I listened mostly to what my friends listened to. Staind, Creed, Papa Roach, Limp Bizkit, Kid Rock, and Eminem.

In 2002, I grew into my own style, and listened to a mix of rap and punkish music. I was the only kid I knew with Snoop Dogg and Good Charlotte on the same Winamp playlist. This is also when Afroman's "Because I got High" was popular, so that was on the old Winamp aswell.

In 2003, I kinda stayed the same as 2002. Only I defected more into the rap category, getting more Ja Rule, Tupac, NWA, Snoop Dogg, Jay Z, and Outkast.

Now in 2004, I have some of my old Staind and Creed songs, but my playlist contains mostly Tupac, Jay Z, and Nappy Roots. Other artists are Chingy, Coolio, Outkast, Eamon, Uncle Kracker, Marques Houston, and Lil John.

Pre-90's WAAF? I'm guessing they played a lot of hairbands and some stuff like Metallica too. Back then I used to listen to WHJY (out of RI) more than WAAF and I listed to tapes a lot (CDs hadn't caught on).

That probably sounds right (hairbands and Metallica). Wouldn't HJY be similar to AAF though?

I wouldnt say that my music tastes have evolved. I would say they have grown. I still listen to stuff I listened to a few years ago. And I have gotten into diffrent types of music.

How my music tastes grown:

Rap/Hip Hop

Rap/Hip Hop, R&B

Rap/Hip Hop, R&B, JPop

Rap/Hip Hop, R&B, JPop, JRock

Rap/Hip Hop, R&B, JPop, JRock, Dancehall

Guest MuRd0K

I have always been a rock fan, the thing is, I'm more into grunge right now.

I just remember my favorite bands, about 7-8 years ago, my favorite band was "Mana", a mexican band that still kicks ass, but their new material is... so-so.

Then, 5 years later, my favorite band became Puddle Of Mudd, and I still respect the fuck out of this guys, but when I heard their "Inspiration", I knew they weren't the best.

Squancho told me about Alice In Chains some months ago, and I love this guys with a passion. They are what inspired Puddle Of Mudd and many more new-age grunge bands. I just love Alice In Chains.

If I mention how I evolve, most of you wouldn't have Idea about the bands I used to listen, because of them were mexican.

EDIT: How in the bloody hell could I have forgotten Gorillaz, when they are the inspiration for my nickname. They were my favorites about... 5 years ago.. so

1997 - 1999 = MANA

1999 - 2002 = Gorillaz

2002 - 2004 = Puddle Of Mudd

2004 - Now = Alice In Chains

Edited by MuRd0K

Guest bruins72

That probably sounds right (hairbands and Metallica).  Wouldn't HJY be similar to AAF though?

Not really. HJY wasn't as into the hairbands back then. They played rock and metal. They also played a lot of Zeppelin, Hendrix, and that sort of thing. The funny thing is, HJY seems to still play almost the same stuff they did back in the late 80's, with a few new songs thrown into the mix.

To be fairly honest, I listened more to pop five years ago. I remember a couple of years back getting into Limp Biskit as well. Now a days, my tastes are into rock, classic rock, and rap.