Best sad rock songs?

slain

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Your Worst Mistake" by Strung Out.

It's something pretty much anyone and everyone can relate to, being some girl or guys (:shifty:) 'mistake'. Plus it has a beautiful chorus (I'm a sucker for harmony). One of the slower SO songs, but doesn't lack drive. Shame it never actually made an album, it's such a kick arse song. Plus it's not handled in a shitty 'Lets cry about it in the corner' kind of way.

Oh and; "Lost motel" by Strung Out. (Again it sucks this never made a studio album, but then again the studio version I heard is poor...get the LIAD version)

Edited by Mr. Kurt McKenna

Ummm... AFI. Most of the stuff from Sing the Sorrow (before you say anything, they are NOT emo...although there are similarities...).

lol, k.

Was going to leave it, but yeah, AFI AREN'T emo. Thier earlier stuff is punk (....and pretty crap) and they've kinda just evolved into some kinda gothy rock band, though a lot of thier stuff still leans back on thier old punky sound at times.

A lot of bands who have followed AFI's path have gone a more emo route with it (MCR), but AFI themselves aren't.

The thing is, none of there new stuff is really that emo, which is why I debate them being an emo band.

AFI only fall into being emo if you count "emotional lyrics" as a pre-requisite. Otherwise, songs like "Miss Murder", "The Leaving Song Part 2", "Silver And Cold", "Girls Gone Grey" et al aren't really that emo (just a list of thier newer singles from the past two albums, and compared to what most people consider emo nowadays), and the few times on thier new album when they breakdown into heavier stuff, I still think it veers more towards their old punk roots.

Yeah, I get you. I mean, I always used to just consider stuff like Jimmy Eat World and that as emo, but then a lot of your bands like Finch and Funeral For A Friend came along and some people consider that emo over the other stuff....I tend to consider them both as that, but I get what you are saying.

Most magazines do tend to consider AFI as still punk, even though thier sound has changed a lot (for the better, for sure).

I'm really quite torn over the AFI emo-band or not thing. Their punk songs were awful for the most part. And I admit I still don't like them to this day (Mainly because I find their stuff to be horrifically 'paint by numbers' and lacks the hook to make it catchy and fun (How Blink 182 saved themselves in my eyes).)

In my eyes Emo may in fact be the worst genre ever. It has nothing to do with the bands that play emo music (As I am quite the emo fan), it's just the fact the 'genre' os so diverse and there's very little that characterises what is an emo band. Just because MCR, FFAF and Finch are emo doesn't mean that the likes of JEW, AFI and Sunny Day Real Estate aren't emo. Then there's the softer side still; Death Cab, Electric President etc..who are indie-emo bands...then there's the indie-electro bands with a touch of emoness, but that's mostly just due to Ben Gibbard whoring himself out to pretty much every musican who will have him. Another example would be, Strapping Young Lad are a metal band. They don't sound like Iron Maiden. But does that stop Iron Maiden being a metal band.

And part of 'emo' comes from the look. And AFI look as faggy as can be. Yes their songs seem to follow a punk-like formula, but I'd say loads of their newer stuff does seem very emo'y as well. See, it's not just based on the look and fanbase though. AFI have got this 'emoness' to their music, in comparison to someone like Rise Against. RA's first two albums were hardcore-punk, no doubt about it (And unlike AFI, they wrote shit-hot songs). And over time they've started to change their music to a more 'emo' crowd. "The Sufferer & The Witness" was a solid album though, so I'm not overly bothered (Though Siren Song was weak, besides a couple of great songs). But I'd still call Rise Against a punk-rock band. As their songs still follow so much more of a punk-rock formula than AFI...plus they're generally badass (Is Tim really gay like I heard though?).

I've totally forgotten my point...AFI are emo. Early Get Up Kids followed a very punky formula, and that's one of my favourite examples of emo music.

Edited by Mr. Kurt McKenna

I'm really quite torn over the AFI emo-band or not thing. Their punk songs were awful for the most part. And I admit I still don't like them to this day (Mainly because I find their stuff to be horrifically 'paint by numbers' and lacks the hook to make it catchy and fun (How Blink 182 saved themselves in my eyes).)

In my eyes Emo may in fact be the worst genre ever. It has nothing to do with the bands that play emo music (As I am quite the emo fan), it's just the fact the 'genre' os so diverse and there's very little that characterises what is an emo band. Just because MCR, FFAF and Finch are emo doesn't mean that the likes of JEW, AFI and Sunny Day Real Estate aren't emo. Then there's the softer side still; Death Cab, Electric President etc..who are indie-emo bands...then there's the indie-electro bands with a touch of emoness, but that's mostly just due to Ben Gibbard whoring himself out to pretty much every musican who will have him. Another example would be, Strapping Young Lad are a metal band. They don't sound like Iron Maiden. But does that stop Iron Maiden being a metal band.

And part of 'emo' comes from the look. And AFI look as faggy as can be. Yes their songs seem to follow a punk-like formula, but I'd say loads of their newer stuff does seem very emo'y as well. See, it's not just based on the look and fanbase though. AFI have got this 'emoness' to their music, in comparison to someone like Rise Against. RA's first two albums were hardcore-punk, no doubt about it (And unlike AFI, they wrote shit-hot songs). And over time they've started to change their music to a more 'emo' crowd. "The Sufferer & The Witness" was a solid album though, so I'm not overly bothered (Though Siren Song was weak, besides a couple of great songs). But I'd still call Rise Against a punk-rock band. As their songs still follow so much more of a punk-rock formula than AFI...plus they're generally badass (Is Tim really gay like I heard though?).

I've totally forgotten my point...AFI are emo. Early Get Up Kids followed a very punky formula, and that's one of my favourite examples of emo music.

Emo = emotive hardcore (I'm pretty sure you know that)

emotive hardcore =/= AFI, TBS, MCR etc.

All of those bands are just faggy, guitar-driven pop rockers dubiously labelled "emo" because they fit the stereotype.

Emo = emotive hardcore (I'm pretty sure you know that)

emotive hardcore =/= AFI, TBS, MCR etc.

All of those bands are just faggy, guitar-driven pop rockers dubiously labelled "emo" because they fit the stereotype.

DCFC are heavily influenced by indie, I'd say that they're sort of a fork of the genre, a somewhat lighter sounding emo that draws a lot from both indie and emo groups.

Even then, Husker Du > them

Hell, Husker Du > most

Well.. yeah. I know they're literally fags, but I mean in terms of sound. Music can sound faggy.

... I hate you fucker >_>