Best sad rock songs?

slain

This aint a shot at your Cloudy...I love you and your boy'ish young looks. It's just pretty much wherever you turn you see people saying "So and so aren't whatever genre, because they don't fit the perfect mould". There has, and never will be a perfect mould for a musical genre. When I think of emo, the first band I think of is Sunny Day Real Estate. That doesn't mean every single emo band I hear must be identical to Sunny Day Real Estate...if so, I wouldn't have heard another fucking emo band since. This seems to stem from some form of musical eliticism people have. Trust me. I do it. I do it a hell of a lot. In this thread I had to stop myself from doing it to AFI. I had to stop myself from just saying "AFI aren't a punk-rock band", purely because 'They cannot be...they're nowhere near as good as my favourite 'punk-rock' bands (In my oppinion). I can't see my favourite bands being tarred with the same brush as AFI'. Just like the old school punks don't like the word 'punk' being used to describe these new 'punk-rock' bands. Hell I've read that a handful of the bands don't like it themselves.

It's sort of like the derogatory terms like mallcore. People do not want to see their favourite metal bands being comared with these new, 'inferior' bands. But the truth is that no genre is immaculate. No band is identical (Though My Chemical Romance sure as hell try :shifty:), therefore it is impossible for a genre to be immaculate. Plus as musical trends change, when technology improves, hell, when musicians improve genres are going to be tweaked, changed and move away from the roots. If they didn't music would be incredibly boring.

MINI-RANT FOR NO REASON OFFICIALLY OVER.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't say anything about a perfect mould though, if I did I would've said "Death Cab aren't emo, they're just a shitty indie band", there's a difference between a band drawing influences from other genres and tweaking the sound and another band ala FOB or MCR just being plan mislabelled shit.

I didn't say anything about a perfect mould though, if I did I would've said "Death Cab aren't emo, they're just a shitty indie band", there's a difference between a band drawing influences from other genres and tweaking the sound and another band ala FOB or MCR just being plan mislabelled shit.

I was too lazy to read past the first page, but I too think that at this point the definition of emo is so unclear that bothering to use the term, especially as a negative, is pointless.

If every band that gets the emo label is in fact emo, then stick me in girlpants because there must be a ton of awesome emo music.

Hmm, since this topic is still here, id thought id ask here rather than creating a new topic.

Well, I got dumped today after a rather lengthy relationship, and I need some good slow songs thatll make me feel like shit, then im going to need some get over her songs. Again id rather not have to get country songs, but emo is ok in this case.

Thanks in advance. :crying:

Husker Du to the rescue again, get their song I will never forget you. An agressive sounding song with some angsty rage thrown in.

The Hypnotics - You make me sick (Self explanatory.)

G.G. Allin - I wanna fuck myself (Hey, you might need a song to make yourself pretend you're better off with your own sexual self indulgence.)

Billy Childish and thee Milkshakes - Please don't tell my baby (Trust me)

The Plugz - Electrify Me (Slow song to make you feel like shit, though it's a great song that'll make you feel good)

The Buzzcocks - Ever fallen in love? (You'll understand this when you hear the lyrics, it's not slow per say, but it'll hit home)

I'm not good with songs to make you feel like shit, but go with these. Hopefully these can do the trick, they've worked for me.

"Sad Songs Say It So Much" - Elton John

"Fade To Black" - Metallica

"King Of Pain" - The Police

Anything by Insane Clown Posse, because its sad that someone actually signed them to a recording contract. (Y)

Edited by GhostMachine

Anything by Insane Clown Posse, because its sad that someone actually signed them to a recording contract. (Y)

Doesn't having their own label constitute that a record company didn't actually sign them to a recording contract?

A Perfect Circle - 3 Libras (as well as the painfully beautiful cover version by The Section Quartet)

Abandoned Pools - Start Over

Abandoned Pools - Never

Beck - Nobody's Fault But My Own

Box Car Racer - There Is

Chevelle - Closure

Chris Cornell - Sunshower

Gary Allen - Grey Sky Morning (yes, a cover of Vertical Horizon, as dedicated to his wife after she committed suicide)

Jimmy Eat World - Hear You Me

Modest Mouse - The World At Large

Our Lady Peace - 4 AM

Soundgarden - Like Suicide (the acoustic version which is featured on the 'Songs From The Superunknown' single)

Soundgarden - Overfloater

Soundgarden - Tighter & Tighter

Soundgarden - Zero Chance

Stone Temple Pilots - Kitchenware & Candy Bars (though '12 Gracious Melodies' is the perfect follow-up)

Temple Of The Dog - Say Hello To Heaven

Edited by ____