What music are you listening to?

Benji

Guest KoRnCHiLD

Evanescence - The Open Door

Got it for my girlfriend, but ripped it to the pc before giving it to her. I didnt really like them before, but this album actually grew on me as i listened and i ended up liking it.

I'm getting so amped for "Bat Out Of Hell III: The Monster is Loose", that I thought I'd review a couple more non Jim-Steinman Meat Loaf albums (as in essence that's what Bat Out Of Hell III is going to be)..,..So here goes:

wttn.jpg

Meat Loaf's Welcome To The Neighbourhood

7.5/10

This album, mainly famous for the song "I'd Lie for You (And Thats The Truth), is Meat Loaf more going into pop-rock, instead of his operatic-rock backgrounds. Released two years after "Bat Out Of Hell II", in 1995. The problem with this album, isn't that it is a bad album, it's just a letdown after the larger than life Bat II. This album infact contains two songs written by Jim Steinman (but not "Id Lie For You", for some reason everyone thinks thats done by Steinman), but these tracks weren't produced by Steinman, and aren't the greatest versions of these songs. They are however probably the high points of this album. Welcome to the Neighbourhood, is Meat Loaf's slow ballad album, and is a good album, but his voice is a bit raw after Bat Out Of Hell II, and all the touring that went along with that. Add in that, all though the songs are good, most of them are pretty forgettable and you get a good album, but in no way one of Meat Loaf's best.

Tracks to look out for: I'd Lie For You (And That's The Truth), The two Steinman tracks (Original Sin & Left in the Dark), Martha & Where Angels Sing.

Tracks to perhaps skip: Where the rubber meets the Road, Not a Dry Eye in the House (a weak knock off of Original Sin, the track it follows on the album), & the two tracks that Meat Loaf does not feature in (45 seconds of ectasy & Fiesta De Las Almas Perdidas).

bbis.jpg

Meat Loaf's Blind Before I Stop

8/10

One of three forgotten Meat Loaf '80s albums. (If anyone says Dead Ringer is a forgotten '80s album, I will have to kill them. It is the forgotten Jim Steinman/Meat Loaf collaberation, and Meat Loaf's best album! And will be reviewed at a later date. Now actually getting back to the album I am reviewing). Blind before I stop, is probably my favourite of the forgotten albums. MTV's artist page says that "Blind Before I Stop" should have been a hit for Meat Loaf, and I agree whole heartedly. There is not a weak track on this album, and Meat Loaf's voice has seemingly fully recovered from the damage down by the Bat Out of Hell touring. They have also gone to go completely away from Jim Steinman's style of song, which was the best thing to do for Meat Loaf as well. Another album full of of ballads, but unlike "Welcome to the Neighbourhood", these ones you will be humming in your head for the rest of the day. If you are to buy a non Jim Steinman Meat Loaf album, this one should be high on your list. But their is one caveat, that it doesn't sound much like a Jim Steinman album unlike most non Steinman works (however as much as I love Steinman, I think this is a plus. The only person who should be doing Steinman, is Steinman)

Tracks to look out for: Execution Day, One More Kiss (Night of the Soft Parade), Standing on the Outside, Special Girl & Rock'n'Roll Hero

Tracks to perhaps skip: nil

Edited by iamdanielj

The Killers- Sam's Town

I never listened to Hot Fuss, but I like this a lot. It seems like one or two of them are fillers, but I really enjoy most of the songs up here. One of the standouts is the title track "Sam's Town", aside from "When You Were Young" of course. I give it an 8

Standout tracks: Sam's Town, When You Were Young, For Reasons Unknown, Uncle Jonny, Read My Mind

with Michale Graves having a new album out (Return to Earth) on Halloween, his previous effort was pretty good...

Michale Graves - Punk Rock is Dead

at 24 minutes and 11 songs it sure doesn't take long to listen to... the CD is pretty hit or miss, either you will really like it or you won't and it does/did take a few listens to get in to...

Stand out tracks: Punk Rock is Dead, Beware, Teenage Monster, Exit, 1119

overall about a 7 out of 10

All The Aces The Best Of - Motorhead. Just like all bands known for only one song, nearly all the tracks on this are better than the Ace of Spades. I don't think I'm going to catch-up Motorhead's discography (there's about 23 albums apparently) - but I might get several albums here or there.

Sahg's I

Take two ex-members of the black metal band Gorgoroth.

Spin them around and around and around until they land on a genre totally opposite of black metal (doom metal). Inject a large dose of Black Sabbath influence and distorted, Ozzy-like vocals - and you have Sahg. They're pretty fucking badass. I really enjoyed this album.

Just one album today folks:

DisLocation.jpg

Seven Mary Three's Dis/location

8/10

I've only just got this album, and have only given it one listen so far. But from what I have heard I have really liked. This album, released in 2004, is a completely different band than in the 1995 album "American Standard", which I reviewed earlier in the thread. Gone is the vocalist that pretty much defined the last album, being replaced by a very generic rock vocalist. However one thing that hasn't been replaced is the great song-writing. Song's that just pull you in and make you enjoy. The band behind the vocalist has grown as musicians and learn't how to play their instruments more. As much as I enjoyed "American Standard", and have rated it higher than this album, I think the Seven Mary Three from this album is just a more-well rounded band. It is no longer just about the vocalist, it is about the music. This album is reccomended, but realize that you will be listening to a completely different style of music than the Seven Mary Three that everyone else knows. I've also got 3 more Seven Mary Three albums coming to me, including one by the old strong vocalist, so It'll be interesting to listen to them both and see which ones I enjoy.

Tracks to look out for: Settle Up, Blue Letter, Dislocated, Subway Tunnel Microphones.

Tracks to perhaps skip: No songs jumped out to be bad on my first listen.

Edited by iamdanielj

351302.jpg

3 Doors Down - 'The Better Life'

7/10

If you say that 3 Doors Down are your generic, no-thrills rock band, then you're right. Harmless, straight-up rock music. 'The Better Life' isn't a classic, nor is it the best of the three efforts the band as put out, as that title goes to 'Away From The Sun'. However, against the bands other efforts, 'The Better Life' has one key factor going for it, the popularity of its singles. The album starts with the instantly-recognisable 'Kryptonite', which gained the band fame in the first place, and rightly so, as it's one of the standout tracks on the album. 'Duck And Run', and perhaps the best track on the album, 'Be Like That', are all worth listening to. However, the rest of the album drifts in-and-out of generic rock obsecurity. It's a shame really, because 3 Doors Down are one of the better bands within its genre, but this album and its other efforts all lack something - as if the band is scared to change its sound, or try something new. 3 Doors Down just generally stick to the same formula, which prevents the album from standing out, and making it nothing more than a solid, but generic, rock album.

Standout Tracks: 'Kryptonite', 'Duck And Run', 'Be Like That', and 'So I Need You'.

Protest the Hero - Kezia

8/10

For those who don't know, Protest the Hero are one of the newest additions to Vagrant records and probably one of the heaviest acts gracing their roster. From the Greater Toronto Area, these youngsters (fresh out of high school) sure know how to rock. Having seen Protest the Hero live three times before actually picking up their record, I wasn't sure how well their amazing stage. From the second this record starts out, you come to the realization that not much was lost in translation. Heck, at times they sound a hell of a lot better on album than they do in person. Heretics & Killers and Blindfolds Aside as wisely choosen as the singles - both songs are probably the most accessible for Protest. That isn't to say the other tracks aren't stand out, just that Heretics and Blindfold are clearly the centerpieces of the CD. No song on the CD is bad - just by the end you kind of wonder if these guys got something else up their sleeves. And they don't. Not that I am complaining - these guys do one thing and they do it damn good. But it doesn't stretch to the end of the CD as well it should.

Well I quite enjoy this review thing, so I'm gonna do a few more of the next few days....lol. If you don't like them just go to the next post. Today is going to be a classic, I have once again by going through my Dad's cd collection and ripping them onto my computer (FLAC all the way baby!). Got about 30cds....all up...lol. Anyways without further ado:

sgt_peppers.jpg

The Beatle's Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

10/10

Well this is my first ten out of ten given out and I don't think that many people will disagree with me. I will admit I'm not a big beatle's head, but I know this album through my dad playing it non-stop when I was growing up, and it definatly deserves its position in the greatest albums of all time. Hell even growing up at my primary school we had to sing "When I'm sixty-four" in every assembly for about 10 years. It's seems very basic, but infact has some very elaborate arrangements. It's also full on explicit and not-so explicit drug references which is never a bad thing :P . (Including the obvious "Lucy in The Sky with Diamonds" which for years John Lennon said had nothing to do with LSD, but in 2004 McCartney said in an interview that, that might not be the case). I can't saw much more than wow, and I'm sure most people would agree with me. If you by chance have never heard this album I have one thing to say to you: Get your hands on it in one way or another. It will suprise you. I am definatly going to go on a venture to find more from the beatle's discography.

Tracks to look out for: I'm am serious, when I say all!

Tracks to perhaps skip: nil

Protest the Hero - Kezia

8/10

For those who don't know, Protest the Hero are one of the newest additions to Vagrant records and probably one of the heaviest acts gracing their roster. From the Greater Toronto Area, these youngsters (fresh out of high school) sure know how to rock. Having seen Protest the Hero live three times before actually picking up their record, I wasn't sure how well their amazing stage. From the second this record starts out, you come to the realization that not much was lost in translation. Heck, at times they sound a hell of a lot better on album than they do in person. Heretics & Killers and Blindfolds Aside as wisely choosen as the singles - both songs are probably the most accessible for Protest. That isn't to say the other tracks aren't stand out, just that Heretics and Blindfold are clearly the centerpieces of the CD. No song on the CD is bad - just by the end you kind of wonder if these guys got something else up their sleeves. And they don't. Not that I am complaining - these guys do one thing and they do it damn good. But it doesn't stretch to the end of the CD as well it should.

Edited by Mr. Kurt McKenna

The Decemberists - The Crane Wife

Pretty good, i'd give it an 8/10. Has a different feel to picaresque but still sounds like the decemberists without any selling out (this is their first major label album)

definatley recomend if your a fan, or if your into stuff like death cab for cutie

Emily Haines - Knives Don't Have Your Back is a good record, probably better than Metric's latest. Just further proof that the Canadian Indie scene > anywhere else. >_>

Today is a bit of a controversial selection, but today I will review Skrewdriver - Complete Studio Collection 77-83.

I think this group deserves a quick little backstory. For those of you that are not familiar with Skrewdriver, let me start by saying that they are associated with being one of the front runners of RAC/Hate Rock/White Power Music etc. Many people that know of the name will often write them off as that racist skinhead band, and while that was true to an extent, most of these people don't really know the real history behind the band.

The band originated as a Rolling Stones cover band, as the Stones were a huge influence on the original members. They soon gravitated toward the punk sound with bands like the Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Damned, and Sham 69 emerging in the UK. Originally, they were a prototypical 77 style punk band, although very good at it, much better than the bands I listed. The original members, excluding Ian Stuart, were your basic Oi punkers, a political agenda in hand, but not in the vein of a racial holy war. The musicians of the band were unaware of Ian Stuart's deep rooted Nazi beliefs until the early 80s, when they left the band. It was from here that Ian Stuart began his crusade for the white race, becoming a spokesman for the white power movement in the UK. He would go on to do solo projects and a cooperative album with the U.S. band The Klansmen.

Anyway, let's get to the review now that you're ready to look at this with an open mind. The album I'm looking at is prior to the fascist beliefs. This is a great album, and probably would have gone in the annals of punk history had the Nazi stigma not been associated with the name Skrewdriver. The album is a bit different than the typical punk of the 70's. The songs keep fairly basic theme's, which is a good thing in my humble opinion. The songs focus on themes of anti-social behavior, lost love, life as a punker, and songs taking a political stance (again not necesarily racist, one song in particular condemns the actions of IRA). The music itself is brilliantly played, as all three musicians are clearly a class ahead of their punk rock counter parts of the UK. They stick to the basics but also use great solo work to tie the songs together, coupled with Ian Stuarts sometimes raspy voiced shouting to his deep voiced, soulful words of wisdom.

This is an absolutely amazing album, and I dare say my favorite band that the UK has ever produced. I'll never condone what they later became, but this era for the band was as good as any band I've ever heard. It's a shame that Skrewdriver didn't remain in this quartet for their whole career as they would have been heralded like some of the other big names of punk. Unfortunately, political beliefs ruined all of that.

A 10/10 for this superb album. Look for these tracks: Government Action, Anti-Social, Shove the Dove, Streetfight 77, and Boots and Braces

Next review from VerbalPuke: No Alternative - Johnny's Got His Gun 78-82

The Killers - Sam's Town is way better than I'd thought it'd be. Everything is written with the same sort of vapid arrogance that most arena rock bands use, but hey, it's a lot more interesting than all of that. It's escapist fun, and that's all it needs to be.

Sugarcult- Lights Out

7/10

I was basically in love with 'Do It Alone' so I decided to buy the cd because at the moment I have nothing better to spend it on. Do It Alone is probably the best track up there, but Hiatus and The Investigation are somewhat decent to me also. Los Angeles isn't that bad either, but I feel like there aren't many standout tracks here.

The new Evanescence album. I cannot be bothered to go into details. It just doesn't settle right with me. I'm not fond of the guitars, they seem far too loud in comparison to the vocals (or that just might be on the leaked version I have). It's not offensive, there's just nothing great that stands out. 4/10

The new Trivium album. I said this in the thread about it, Trivium need to stop trying to sound like other bands, and develop a good sound of their own. They're talented musicians, the vocalist isn't great. It also annoys me that the lead single for the album, not only does it have shite "whoa's" and "yeah's", but the riff sounds like it's going to kick into that Bullet For My Valentine song...I quite like the "WE ARE THE FIRE" bits, but the rest of the song does little for me. I prefered the last album, but this is still a solid effort. Nothing I'll listen to all that often however. 6/10. Seriously, they need to stop trying to be Metallica, or anyone else. Just be fucking Trivium.

And for no other reason than I'm bored, my top 10 songs of the moment;

10. "Tell Me" by Rooney

9. "The LA-Z-Boy 500" by The Falcon

8. "Put Us back Together Right" by The Headlights

7. "New York, New York" by Moby (ft. Debbie Harry)

6. "The Wolf Is Loose" by Mastodon

5. "Starlight" by Muse

4. "When Your Heart Stops Beating" by Plus 44

3. "Turn Out The Light" by The New Amsterdams

2. "Plug & Play" by BeerBong

1. "Perfect Crime #2" by The Decemberists

On the road to "Bat Out Of Hell III: The Monster is Loose", I am going to review the three Jim Steinman/Meat Loaf collaberation albums (Bat Out Of Hell, Dead Ringer, Bat Out Of Hell II: Back Into Hell). For interest sakes The Bat Out of Hell, and Dead Ringer albums are being reviewed from the Vinyl versions, whereas I haven't been able to get hold of a vinyl version of Bat II, so thats the CD version.

Unfortunatly Bat Out Of Hell III: The Monster is loose, isn't going to be like these albums, as only half the songs are written by Jim Steinman, and Steinman isn't producing the album. Meat Loaf even took legal action against Steinman in an attempt to use the Bat Out Of Hell trademark. As part of the settlement, Steinman can't even say anything negative about the album. To read more click here.

Anyways on to the first review (the other two will follow in the next few days)

Bat.jpg

Meat Loaf's Bat Out Of Hell

10/10

To most people, this would be the quindesential Meat Loaf album. It introduced the world to the very operatic wagnerian rock that Jim Steinman wrote. It was a break from most of the glam rock of the time, to have a sweaty fat man belting out heart-wrenching tunes, which would go upwards of 8 minutes. This album is written by Jim Steinman, but unlike the other two albums, is produced by legend Todd Rundgren. Seeing as these are my favourite albums from my favourite artist I'm going to break it down into a song by song break down. :

Bat Out Of Hell (9:52): This song starts off the epic journey that is this album with some impressive keyboard work, and some impressive guitar work til we hear the first from Meat 2 minutes in. As Jim Steinman explains this song by saying it is the ultimate motorcycle crash song. And slowly building up to the impact you can definatly see this. All through this song the pace suddenly changes, but your building into the great creschendo until he never sees the sudden curves Til it's way to late. This album is the ultimate Meat Loaf album, and this song is the ultimate Meat Loaf song.

You Took The Words Right Out Of My Mouth (Hot Summers Night)(5:06): We start with with the often repeated "would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses?" spiel from Jim Steinman, before the opening licks of this song starts. This song is a personal favourite of mine, because It reminds me of my first Kiss (this song was infact playing at the time). Has the ultimate audience sing along part, which is awesome to do Live at a Meat Loaf concert (something I have had the pleasure of doing).

Heaven Can Wait (4:42): A very slow meandering piano accompanys Meat on this song. This track has very little instrumental backing, and you can really hear Meat's amazing voice come through. I have stated to many of my friends that I want this song to be played at my funeral. Amazing beautiful song.

All Revved up With No Place to Go (4:21): The only track on the album that isn't an instant classic. This track sounds like it has a very strong idea of where it wants to go, but never really gets there. Nevertheless has some amazing saxophone playing accompaning Meat's voice.

Two Out of Three Aint Bad (5:27): Everyone knows this track. It has been covered by everyone under the sun. The slightly country, soft rock classic. No one does this song better than Meat Loaf. Meat has said on many occasions that he's an actor, he acts out the song, and you defianatly can pick up on this on this track. He feels the emotion of this track, he is the emotion of this track.

Paradise by The Dashboard Light (8:30): If Bat Out Of Hell is the ultimate motorcycle crash song, this is the ultimate teenage car-sex song. Ellen Foley does the duet with Meat, but if you see the video the person used for onstage performances is Karla Devito. This song is broken up two three chapters. The first chapter "Paradise" involves the two going on a drive, parking up, and Meat trys to push the idea of sex. Then we get Phil Rizzuto broadcasting a portion of a baseball game that serves for a metaphor for Meat's attempts. The second chapter starts with Ellen Foley shouting "Stop Right There". Anyways I've started telling you the story of the song instead of how good the song is. Needless to say its an amazing, and painful song with lots of twists and turns. It really is just an epic song.

For Crying Out Loud (8:55): This, in my opinion, is the most beautiful and amazing song on the album. It takes the premise of a man sitting at his wife's grave and just thanking her for everything in his life, and everything that she has done for him. It's a very chilling song, and always puts goosebumps on my back. It would be one of my top three Meat Songs, if not number 1. Instead of talking about it, I'll give you a little snippet of the lyrics to tell you what I'm talking about:

For taking in the rain when Im feeling so dry

For giving me the answers when Im asking you why

And my oh my

For that I thank you

For taking in the sun when Im feeling so cold

For giving me a child when my body is old

And dont you know

For that I need you

For coming to my room when you know Im alone

For finding me a highway and driving me home

And you gotta know

For that I serve you

For pulling me away when Im starting to fall

For revving me up when Im starting to stall

And all in all

For that I want you

For taking and for giving and for playing the game

For praying for my future in the days that remain

Oh lord

For that I hold you

Ah but most of all

For cryin out loud

For that I love you

Well that raps up my review of Meat Loaf's Bat Out Of Hell. I apologize I don't know much about music, and how to describe It, but I know what I like, and I love this album. If you haven't got this album get it, and if you do have it put it on now.

To put into small terms how big this album is, here's a paragraph from Wikipedia about this album:

The album was not an immediate hit; it was more of a growing one. Bat Out of Hell still sells about 200,000 copies per year and has sold an estimated 34 million copies worldwide, 16 million in the US alone, becoming one of the biggest selling albums of all time. It remained 474 weeks on the UK charts, a feat only surpassed by the 477 weeks of Fleetwood Mac's Rumours. In 2003, the album was ranked number 343 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time. It is also one of only two albums that have never exited the top 200 in the UK charts. This makes it the longest stay in any chart in the world.

And over the next week or so I'll review the other two Steinman/Meat albums waiting for the Oct 31st release of "Bat Out Of Hell III: The Monster is Loose"