Cover Songs

Tarheels.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even Nickelback haters have to admit that their cover of "Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting" is pretty awesome.

No, that was the song that made me go from complete indifference towards them to utter hatred. It's one of the worst covers I've ever heard, probably beaten only by Creed's version of "I'm Eighteen".

Quoted for emphasis. Take a classic Elton tune and turn it into shit.

Good covers?

Nelly Furtado - Crazy

Le Tigre - I'm So Excited

Final Fantasy - Modern Love

As Dragsy mentioned, I don't like Lacuno Coil's "Enjoy The Silence", but I'm sure some people will, so may be worth a look.

And I agree with Lanky's response to someone feeling The Murderdolls "White Wedding" was a good cover...my arse. It is probably one of the worst I've ever heard, frankly.

I suck at hard rock. The only 'hard rock' band I listen to reguarly is Freak Kitchen. And I can't think of any covers they've done.

Meh, just some random suggestions then ('Punk covers' mostly);

Whippersnapper - "For Whom The Bell Tolls" (Which you can listen to here)

Break The Silence - "Slaughter of The Soul"

Strung Out - "Bark At The Moon"

Ignite - "Sunday Bloody Sunday"

Meh. :shifty:

This reminds me, I forgot one of my all-time favorite covers, Battalion of Saints cover of Motorhead's Ace of Spades. I wont say it's better than the original, but it's damn near close.

And another one I remembered, D.I. and The Mummies both cover Devo's Uncontrollable Urge. Both covers are awesome, but I'd give the nod to D.I. for the superior cover.

Other good covers I've heard:

Bullet for my Valentine - "Crazy Train" (Ozzy)

The Agony Scene - "Paint it Black" (Stones)

Children of Bodom - "Rebel Yell" (Billy Idol)

Children of Bodom - "Oops I did It Again" (Britney Spears)

Children of Bodm - "Bed of Nails" (Alice Cooper)

Cradle of Filth - "Hallowed be thy Name" (Iron Maiden)

Arch Enemy - "Symphony of Destruction" (Megadeth)

Ataris - Boys of Summer. I just love the original, and I love Ataris, so this equals awesome. Sure, I know most of you hate it, but screw you. It captures a relationship of mine perfectly.

Bowling for Soup - I Ran (So Far Away). What can I say, covers of 80's songs = gold.

Bouncing Souls - Don't You Forget About Me. Bouncing Souls are a favourite of mine and I love the original, but it sounds better like this, bit more modern.

And I have a ton of punk covers that are just brilliant. YMCA, Turning Japanese, Ghostbusters, Billy Jean, Fraggle Rock, Mr Sandman, La Bamba, Johnny Go Ska, etc.

Foo Fighters did a cover of Prince's "Darling Nikki". That was class.

I would mention Hank Williams III's cover of "Cocaine Blues" but that was still pretty weak even though I like Hank III and wish there were more cool Cash covers other than "Ring of Fire".

And I liked the "Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting" cover. So shoot me.

EDIT: The Band thread reminded me that Nirvana's cover of The Meat Puppets' "Lake of Fire" was extremely badass.

Edited by Number Twenty Five.