WCW vs. nWo: Everybody's Got a Price!

Sousa

I didn't watch WCW in 1996, but know all the abckground and characters, and you're portraying everyone perfectly. The first Pay-Per-View was really well booked and written, there's almost no flaws, the commentray is brilliant as well. Never a fan of match ratings being posted, but each to their own. The Nitros have been well written as well, and almost look as Nitro has been portrayed from that era (again I'll say I didn't watch back then). Really looking forward to the naxt Nitro as well. Malenko vs Guererro? Oh yeah!

My TOP TEN! goals in this diary are as follows, six reasonable and four for kicks:

1. Give the old guard--Hogan, Flair, Savage, etc.--their last big angle. Yes, Hulk Hogan will be at the center of a lot of my booking, but bear in mind that he's going to be coming off of the biggest heel turn in wrestling history. This is a time when Hogan was everywhere--and it was definitely a good thing that he was!

Should give some good booking decisions. I like where it's gone already

2. Book the nWo angle to seem like an actual invasion of WCW. Sorry, Big Bubba. Sorry, Scott Norton. No more open invitations to join the most elite group in wrestling. If you're in, you're in to further the angle. Simple as that.

This sounds great, and like the way it should have been done.

3. Use the nWo invasion--as well as other angles--to encourage the growth of new, rising talent in WCW.

New talent should be interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing who comes through.

4. Speaking of other angles, use other angles besides the nWo. Seriously, go back and watch those old Nitro tapes. Was anything else happening in WCW at the time? "Oh, look, Lord Steven Regal and Prince Iaukea wrestled to a time limit draw, and Disco Inferno can't figure out his new leg hold! The DRAMA!"

As big as the nWo was, I agree that I can't be all that's going on. Using the other talent is something I agree with wholeheartedly.

5. No Ernest Miller. No Ernest Miller. No Ernest Miller. No Ernest Miller. No Ernest Miller.

No explaination needed really!

6. Encourage the growth of two of WCW's richest divisions at this time: the tag team division and the cruiserweight division. This was a great time for tag teams, but a few years later, WCW's tag team division would be essentially dead, and the cruisers wouldn't be far behind (No Ed Ferrera as Cruiserweight Champ this time around, jack!). '96 could've changed all that.

The cruisers were my favourite part when I watched WCW, even as a young mark. Looking forward to seeing how you utilise them. A strong tag team division is always good too.

7. El Dandy vs. La Parka headlining a PPV? Do I smell ratings?

:lmao:

8. Give Glacier some time in a development territory and debut him. Successfully. With the same gimmick. I'm really going to challenge myself with this one.

Again. No explaination necessary.

9. Become the only diary left on the Dome where Samoe Joe isn't on the roster for no apparent reason other than he's in TNA and he's a great worker (It helps that he was 17 at the time, of course... )

That's fairly true actually. Guilty of that myself (2006 indy though!)

10. Unmask Mr. JL. BAH GAWD, WHO COULD IT POSSIBLY BE!?

Indeed!

Well, I don't really read WCW diaries from around this time thanks to not getting a chance to watch. However, I have seen Bash At The Beach so in a way it's not too bad as everything from here on is new.

As far as the shows themselves go writing wise, I echo AM when I say they're really well written and more or less don't need changing at all. They're easy to read, and this is one of the diaries where the commentary doesn't bog down the enjoyment with pointless filler drivel.

BaTB was a great way to kick off the first PPV of the diary. A few random thoughts:

Regal going over is always a good thing in my book, and going over Konnan is even better. I liked the knucks getting used, the power of the punch lives in '96.

Neither PE or the Nasty's were overly great workers, but the Dog Collar stip helps it greatly. I'm more fond of PE, so I'm glad they went over in the end.

The little bit about the "mystery man" and his southern drawl, well I have to say the first name that came to mind was Jarrett. But that was solely thanks to the KOW stable TNA had, seeing as in '96 Jarrett wasn't exactly the kinda guy that would make headlines by jumping ship.

Personally, I've never really cared for Mysterio so I'm glad Malenko survived another pay per view with the Cruiserwieght title. Given more time, and some decent build up storyline wise I could see Rey getting the belt. But I'd have to confess there would be several guys I'd prefer to see with it than him.

What can I say about the I Quit match? I was rooting for Benoit to win, but the ending you went with made far more sense in terms of the storyline. It showed just how angry and violent Sullivan is because of it, and shows just how tough a bastard Benoit is for not actually quitting.

I loved Flair disqualifying Savage. I don't know if he's face or heel at this point in time, but if he's heel it's a great way to screw Savage out of the title. I much prefer Giant as champion, thanks to this being the young and in shape Paul Wight we haven't seen in a long time. I can see Flair getting the belt at some point, leading to and eventual Flair/Savage showdown for the strap.

The main event...well like TGC said there's no way The Outsider's weren't losing this one. Sure, they didn't actually win the match either, but that was secondary to what followed. I'm glad you decided to stick with the whole Hogan turning thing pretty much word for word. Because as much as I hate Hogan, it was a fucking brilliant moment in wrestling history. Despite what I said eariler, I do like the idea of Jarrett being involved from the start. It certainly gives the nWo more of an invader feel, consisting of four ex-WWF guys. I'm honestly hyped to see how you push the group thanks to your list of goals.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I appreciate it.

Unfortunately, due to the fact that my workload has been stacking up right now, I need to put this diary on temporary hiatus. My classwork is starting to pile up as I near the end of the quarter, and I still have a lot of papers to grade in the class I teach. That has priority right now, and unfortunately, at the end of the day, I just don't have the energy to keep working on this right now.

Expect a return... hopefully in less than a month. I've been pretty inconsistent with this lately, so I doubt it'll be missed, but I do appreciate the fact that I seem to be getting some readers.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, First thing first. This is period that got me into WCW, and I know it very, very well. The Bash changed wrestling for the better or at least saved WCW for going down the shitter.

1. I am upset at the fact that during the dog collars match, that one, Knobbs didn't beat the shit out of Grunge with a rubber inflatable shark, that was quite possibly the greatest thing I have ever seen, but I'll live. Two, why the handshake? This was the best tag feud going on for a while during this time, and I personally loved it.

2. Konnan was a really decent worker at this time, and what your doing with the blue bloods is alot better than him jobbing out to Flair and going threw that whole stupid thing he went through with The Dungeon of Doom. But I get the sense your about to make a 1996 verison of the LAX here to battle the Blue Bloods. And I have to say, that would be quite intresting.

3. Nice touch Malenko and Mysterio. This is probably what would have saved the cruiserweight divison before Kidman came in and stole the show. Malenko was the fuckin man during this time and the longer you have him the Cruiserweight Title, the better.

4. BENOIT IS GOD! The Crippler during this time has been my favorite character of all time to-date (along with Malenko at this time as well.) His match with The Taskmaster at The Great American Bash was fuckin awesome and the tag match with Arn and The Giant in real life was gold, espeically the beating they put on each other afterwards. But that match was brillant and can't wait to see where you go with this from here.

5. Nice touch with Jarrett, I really liked that. Another Nice touch with the Interview with Okerland after the match as well. Excatly how the interview went in real life and nice that you kept it the same.

Overall, nice diary, and you got me hooked.

• 9 months later...