Blackie Lawless Interview

therockbox

Read it Here

Eh, this guy just comes off as being an asshole. I like W.A.S.P, and as far as a piece of music goes "The Neon God: Part One" isn't half bad.

But, and it's a big but, Lawless is in need of a good slapping.

RR:  How many more times is the W.A.S.P. catalog going to be re-released?

BL:  What specifically are you referring to?

RR:  Well, you have the studio albums when they were originally released, then you added bonus tracks and re-released them, and now they’re being repackaged again in digi-packs.  Is that something that you have control over?

BL:  I have no control over that.  That's news to me, to be honest.  When did that start?

RR:  I would say late last year.  I want to say that Snapper Records is doing it.

BL:  Well, they're the one's that have the rights to the catalog, but I haven't seen what they are doing.

RR:  They're just taking them out of the jewel cases and sticking them in a cardboard case.

BL:  I have a very poor relationship with them, and like I said, this is news to me.  It's not uncommon.

RR:  Yeah, it happens all the time.

BL:  Then why would you ask me about that?

It's just uncalled for. Dionne asked a simple enough question, but Lawless gets arsey about it. Kind of fits in with the question about Lawless "thinking the fans are beneath him."

To summarize:

W.A.S.P = Good

Lawless = Jackass

Maybe it's me, but I don't see how he comes across as an ass in that portion of the interview. He comes across as being clueless as to what the label is doing with WASP's discography.

I don't see how you can determine that he was being "arsey" either, from a bunch of text on a webpage ;)

He comes across as an ass during the interview, extremely pretentious. The bit I quoted, to me, seemed uncalled for. The "then why ask me about it" comment wasn't really needed, because, at first, Dionne didn't know about his relationship with the company.

I don't see how you can determine that he was being "arsey" either, from a bunch of text on a webpage

Maybe arsey was the wrong word, perhaps awkward? The bit I quoted, where he is asked to briefly describe the story on The Neon God, and he says "No, not really." The opening paragraph before the interview sums him up really.

I dunno, maybe it's just me :unsure:

RR:  Your new concept album The Neon God Part I: The Rise was just released; can you briefly describe the story?

BL:  Honestly, no.

RR:  No?

BL:  Well, when you say briefly.  You have the record right?  I assume they gave you the booklet and all that stuff?

RR:  Oh, I know exactly what it's about…

BL:  To say or to ask, and I'm not trying to be a snot with you here, don't get me wrong but it's just an enormously complex piece of work.

Honestly, I don't see what's so wrong with that. I mean this guy comes into the interview fawning that he's such a big fan, then just asks very general questions, or ones he seems quick to crow about already knowing the answer to. Many interviewees would be more than happy to just jabber like a big press release, but I got the impression that Lawless would rather talk about something more specific than "briefly summarize your concept album for us".

It reminds me of Stephen King getting aggravated at all the times he's had to answer the question "Where do you get your ideas?" or Tori Amos telling Lisa Ling on The View that she draws her inspiration from "spaghetti". Vapid, empty questions like these are shitty interviewing, in my opinion. If you're going to make your living as a serious journalist of some sort and not just some pretty talking head, research is your friend. He gets picked on by Will Ferrell, but James Lipton knows his shit. Same with Charlie Rose.

Just my take. YMMV.

Honestly, I don't see what's so wrong with that. I mean this guy comes into the interview fawning that he's such a big fan, then just asks very general questions, or ones he seems quick to crow about already knowing the answer to.

He may know the answer but, say a non-W.A.S.P fan may not. However, had Lawless answered the question and described what it's about then you never know, it could mean a few more sales.

It's like those movie premiere specials. After premiere's you'll see the host asking someone what it was about. He knows - he's seen the movie, but the person watching at home hasn't. However, if they're told what it's about then that person could be more likely to go and see the move (alternatively it might work the other way, but it's 50-50).