The Black Parade

Tarheels.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Zero.

My Chemical Romance are a very good band, IMHO. They know how to write a good tune and are ages better than most of the shit on the radio.

I downloaded the new album and it is decent. These guys are branching out into different styles/influences and definitely have the integrity to keep making some good music.

I think the new album is an easy candidate for Album of the Year. It ranks right up there for me alongside "The Sufferer and the Witness" from Rise Against and "Black Holes & Revelations" from Muse. My Chemical Romance is taking a huge risk on this album by creating something as layered as this and quite honestly, this intelligent; it could easily turn away their younger audience for going way over their heads. I mean, it's obvious they've been listening to a lot of Queen lately, but maybe if more bands were doing that, music wouldn't suck so fucking bad right now.

Rise Against, My Chemical Romance, Albums of the Year? Those two bands shouldn't be used in the same sentance really.

And like YI said, S&W wasn't that great. I liked it at first, but when I go back and listen again, its like the same 2-3 songs all the time. RPM was so much better.

I haven't listened to MCR's album, it's all very well changing your tune, but when you're music was bollocks, it's hardly motivation to listen to their next album.

Well if it was a contender for album of the year I think the reviews for it would have been more than calling it shit and saying it's better than 3 cheers for sweet revenge which isn't difficult.

Plus if it was a possible album of the year, i think I would have heard it myself by now. :-\

It was released a week ago... and if you want to judge how good something is on whether you've heard it or not, that's an interesting way to look at it. And if you're going to listen to the people here and critics for reviews, I think you'd be hard pressed really, no offence to anyone it's just that no one here generally seems to like that music all that much. I haven't heard Black Parade myself yet, but a few people have told me it's awesome.

It was released a week ago... and if you want to judge how good something is on whether you've heard it or not, that's an interesting way to look at it. And if you're going to listen to the people here and critics for reviews, I think you'd be hard pressed really, no offence to anyone it's just that no one here generally seems to like that music all that much. I haven't heard Black Parade myself yet, but a few people have told me it's awesome.

I'd rather listen to people who won't cream over it just because it is MCR, and look at it objectively. People don't have to be fans of a music to pass a valid judgement on it.

Which is why I appreciate YI's take on it more than most.

Edited by Liam Byrne

I like to think I can rely on YI for him to tell me what is classed as good music. Considering most of my favourite bands are recommendations from him.

I think I can remember one song I liked from MCR, which was "It's not a fashion statement, it's a fucking deathwish." But yeah, forgive me for not wanting to listen to every album, their first album was wank so it's hardly an insentive for me to go and buy their next album.

But I guess it's fine to go throwing around the 'album of the year' title after one week of listening right?

I'd rather listen to people who won't cream over it just because it is MCR, and look at it objectively. People don't have to be fans of a music to pass a valid judgement on it.

I'm not saying that they have to be a fan, it's just that I know most people here don't like MCR from the start and wouldn't BE objective. I wasn't referring to YI... since he's USUALLY objective in matters like this.

But I guess it's fine to go throwing around the 'album of the year' title after one week of listening right?

Oh, and since when did I call MCR the album of the year? I was just calling you on your shit for the "never listened to it, but it sucks" line.

I'm not saying that they have to be a fan, it's just that I know most people here don't like MCR from the start and wouldn't BE objective. I wasn't referring to YI... since he's USUALLY objective in matters like this.

I think people like what they like and don't have to just go with what the magazines/fanboys say about things. Some will jump on them whatever, sure, but some people just plain won't like them. And I know you weren't referring to YI, but I was just listing him as someone I think is good with these things.

I've not heard the album, but I've really struggled to get into the single from it, and haven't particularly liked their stuff in the past.

Regardless of how many singles you listen to, I would still maintain you can't make speculations on an album without actually listening to it or at least some songs that aren't singles... seeing as how in bands like this, the singles really aren't ever the best songs. And I wasn't having a go at you, I don't really understand where you get that from, but either way.

That sounds like strong logic, but either way I was just saying that a single, well single isn't a clear indicator of a band's efforts. While it of course SHOULD be, but sometimes the singles aren't the right choices especially off the bat.

Edited by ApSham has Count Choculitis

As for MCR, I cannot stand it. I must admit I quite like "Dead", but the singer totally ruins any amount of enjoyment I have, and the chorus totally pails in comparison to the verse, which is never good. For me it reaks of style and no substance. I'm not going to say that theyripped off Queen on the entire album, as that's far from true. Yes there's a coule of occasions where the do, and they do it shamelessly. But at the end of the day. It's just not an album I enjoy listening to. Maybe if they got a different singer, it might actually be listenable.

Where are you getting its been out for a week from? It came out in the US yesterday. Did it come out early overseas or something?

It leaked early. I got my copy from work last week.

Why not? I like what I like. Listening to the Black Parade makes me feel tingly where I piss, so why can't I call it album of the year? Seriously, this is why I usually stay out of music discussions on any internet forum, because 90% of people have huge fucking sticks up their ass. Seriously, it's like tree trunks in everyone's rectum when it comes to music and it just makes me laugh because it's almost as sad as watching people debate whether a wrestling match was ***** or ****3/4. I'll be the first to admit, I have strange tastes, but this album, Sufferer and the Witness and Black Holes and Revelations are my favorite albums this year. Rise Against's album came out at a big turning point in my life and a lot of the lyrics in those songs connected with me, that's why I like it. When I say "Album of the Year," I mean my favorite album of the year; I'm sorry, but I don't really give a shit what anyone else likes. I don't expect anyone to accept my opinion because I look at music differently; like whoever said Mastodon had the album of the year, that would make me laugh because maybe eight people are going to actually listen to it. I'm not going to shit on his opinion though, if he likes it, awesome. Now with that said, it's not just about appeal to a wide audience or anything, I can appreciate good music even if no one ever hears it, but that just leaves to broad of a spectrum to cover. None of us will ever hear the greatest band ever because they'll be playing in garages and bars for their entire "career."

Edited by Zero