Grand Theft Auto III

Vilge Duin

I never really got into III at all, for some reason I like the old 2D games better, even though GTA 2 was nothing more than a glorified expansion pack of the original, it still rocked serious ass.

I got more into Vice City, just because the whole thing took what III and made it 18 times better and more fun.

But I love San Andreas the most, I was so much more involved with the game than of the other ones. Personally, it's my favorite and face it, it's the best. It's pretty much everything you could have wanted in a GTA game and you know it. Best soundtrack, overall the mission where probably cooler in some of the other games, but the best missions of all-time are in San Andreas. The two missions that end on the back on the bike with the AK-47.

Back over the summer I started GTAIII again (As I bought it on the X-Box in the double pack with Vice City), basically the plan was to do III, Vice City then San Andreas (I'd have done it in gaming chronological order, but after playing the 2 more recent games, I doubt i'd want to go back to III). Lets say I'm still on III, granted the last time I played it was like September, but still. I've got like 3/4 misions left, but I'm having a blast driving around and just doing random shit. There's some great missions, there's also some shite/annoying missions. Plus I find there's odd occasions where shit gets really-really difficult, which I haven't felt on later games. It's pretty good, nothing great. But it's amazing for what it is, the total reinvention of a franchise and the launching pad for a whole style of game.

The series did a really nice job of evolving and at least addressing (if not outright fixing) the problems of the previous game. While that makes it a spectacular series, it really hurts the replay value of the older games because you don't realize how great the upgrades to SA were until you play Vice City where they aren't there; and you don't realize how big the VC upgrades were until you play GTA III and they aren't there.

I was actually considering going back and buying them all pre-owned and playing them. I've had all 3 of them on release date, but never got into SA as much as I'd have liked, now I want it just to drive around in the countryside etc.

I sort of want to go back and replay GTA3 just for the fun of it all. But ultimately I'd rather play San Andreas - Vice City was good, but because San Andreas is the latest and has more - and GTA3 was the first it sort of eclipses Vice City for me - but I did enjoy it.

I totally disagree with that list. I found Vice City poor, and LCS was just about worth the discount price it retailed for. San Andreas was good, but I could take it or leave it.

GTA III had two excellent music stations - classical and the German-style trance music.

Vice City had the best overall soundtrack but I'm a whore for 80s music.

San Andreas is just so much bigger than the other two. I prefer the Vice City setting, prefer the coolness of the III mute character and the move from Mafia to Yakuza you have to take but San Andreas is just so much bigger with so much more to do!

So ultimately, apart from the music and the lead character, they've got better each time...