ChuBalso

Ricky Steamboat’s

wow.jpg

Presented by HBO Sports on HBO2

Dec 21rd 1997

Cherry Red Centre, Las Vegas - Nevada

Announcers Michael Cole & Lanny Poffo

Attendance: 1,500 (399 paid)

WOW topped their highest rating, once again this past week with a 2.0 for the 21st December show at the Cherry Red Centre, in Nevada, one week before WOW’s second special event on the network. HBO2 is pleased with the first month and a half of success, and is said to be very close to creating a travel budget for WOW, in the for the quarter of 1998, which of course would mean shows out of the state of Nevada. The 12/21 show began with Joel Gertner announcing Commissioner Slaughter to the ring. Out came Slaughter, suit and tie, followed by, Jimmy Garvin, Terry Taylor, Don West, and Demolition. Jimmy Garvin took the mic and said he had something to say before the commissioner got started. He reprimanded Captain Lou Albano & Mr. Fuji’s Psycho Circus group calling them the “ The sickest group of animals that he’s ever seen” Jimmy complimented the Hardy’s, noting that he’s been following their career for a long time and now was their time. He said that he’s taken the Hardy Brothers under his wing, and will train them to someday get their revenge, despite their size constraints. This Freebird’s gonna teach those boys how to fly!.

Slaughter wished the fans a happy holidays and said that 1998 was going to be the year of W.O.W. He added that Ricky Steamboat has decided to give the fans a half hour more every week, announcing the permanent time extension of one hour and a half of TV time. This decision came one day after HBO SPORTS added WOW into its press releases output. Slaughter was suddenly surprised by dimming of the lights. Some sort of American College footballish music began to play as images of the American flag were displayed in holographic format all around the arena. The holographic images then displayed images of Kurt Angle’s face, and out came Angle accompanied by Russ and Charlie Haas, also sporting all Olympic wear. Russ Hass, who debuted against Dr. Death before, had a new look. Angle came out looking agitated.

Angle

" Um, hi."

Slaughter

" … Yes? [*crowd laughs*]"

Angle

" [*angrily*] In case you forgot, my name is Kurt Angle – Olympic gold medalist! And no, I’m not talking about the GI JOE medals that you got, either. [*laughs, crowd booes*]"

Slaughter

" WHAT DO YOU WANT, PUKE! "

Angle

" First off all the name is Kurt Angle – but I understand that the cobra missiles may have done some damage to your hearing. [*The Haas brothers laugh*] And these are my friends Charlie and Russ. And I defeated the [*sarcastically*] the legendary, Ultimate Warrior. The Hardy Brothers? And extra hour and a half? You need to start talking about ME! KURT ANGLE – Olympic…GOLD…medalist! "

Slaughter

" IS THAT IT? ARE YOU DONE?"

Angle

" [*pauses, turns his back to Slaughter, then gets right into his face*] No, actually that’s not it, ‘Sarge’! You’re gonna listen to what I have to say! You say that Ricky Steamboat’s going to be at the Holiday Show. Well that’s nice to know, because maybe we should discuss my contract! Remember, I don’t have to be here! I’m an Olympic…GOLD…medalist! [*crowd booes; Charlie hands Angle a printout*]"

Slaughter

" WHAT’S YOUR POINT, SLIME?"

Cole

" You think Angle got off on the right foot with the Commish?"

Angle

" You see, I’ve been watching this place pretty closely and quite frankly, I’m appalled! Throwing over the top rope? The use of chairs? WOW ‘Cage Games’? Singapore canes, thumbtacks, people falling off of cages through tables!? -- Is this a wrestling promotion or an insane asylum!! You tell Steamboat that I absolutely REFUSE to wrestle in this promotion unless he signs THIS modified contract."

Slaughter took the piece of paper and began to review with Garvin and Taylor looking over his shoulder.

Slaughter

" Opponents cannot do flying moves from the turnbuckle? [*crowd booes*] Opponent cannot throw any member of TEAM KURT over the top rope? Opponent most perform move release by referee in 3 second, instead of the standard 5-count? Members of TEAM KURT are allowed 30 seconds out of the ring, instead of the standard 20 ring out count? [*crowd booes and laugh*]"

Angle

" Gold requests from an Olympic…GOLD…medalist!"

Slaughter

" Well listen here Mr. Olympic..GOLD! Medalist! This is what I think about your little contract! [*rips it up, crowd cheers*] And yea, that’s right! They’ll be plenty more cage matches [*crowd cheers*] They’ll be plenty more tables broken [*crowd cheers*] This is WOW, where the bigger boys play! And if you can’t handle the heat, well then I got one word for you…REEETTTREEEEAAAATTT! Now out of my way, SLIIMMMEEE!!"

Crowd cheered Slaughter as he brushed by Angle, Russ and Charlie and began to exit the ring. Slaughter about faced and grabbed the mic, again.

Slaughter

" Oh, I’ll be sure to tell Mr. Steamboat that we had our meeting over your contract and came to a conclusion. "

The crowd laughed as Angle was livid, inside of the ring, kicking the ropes along with Russ & Charlie. Nice fresh way to start off WOW, this week. After a quick advert for the holiday show ‘The Rock N Roll Superstar’ was in the ring. 73%

Kurt Angle gained 2 points of overness from this segment.

Raven d. The Rock N Roll Superstar

Raven was interviewed in the back by Ken Resnick. Raven said that because of what Warrior did he can trust no one in WOW. To make sure Raven was the face, before the match, Rock N Roll Superstar had the mic and said that he is a famous Rock and Roll star, but didn’t want to be caught seen dead in a crappy place like Nevada, so that’s why he wore the mask The announcers talked about Warrior stranding Raven, and also noted how Warrior had been acting strange since his return. They talked about how the Warrior attacked the ref, and now left Raven stranded during his debut just a couple weeks after attacked WOW referee Tedd Miller. They sure made Warrior sound like a lowlife. Raven came out and pummeled the masked Gibson right away. At 4:33 Raven planted Superstar, who looked liked the second coming of The Executioner with his evenflow DDT.

**Adam Simon, & Kanyon Belmont – The Vampire Warriors**

The lights dimmed here, which was followed by sounds of ‘thunder’. The hologram show displayed lightning bolts flashing around the arena, mostly flashing on the crowd. Suddenly from a rising platform ‘underneath’ the isleway stood, Adam Simon Belmont (Bryan Clark), and Kanyon Belmont (Chris Kaynon) with Vampire Warrior, identified as Vampire Warrior Alucard. Each wore clothes that they stole from Dracula’s closet, and had a whip in hand. Kanyon & Adam Simon had brown whips, while Warrior had black. There music was ‘Opium, by the metal Portuguese band, Moonspell’ It fit them nicely. The rising ramp was reminiscent of what Jerry Lawler’s entrance during his early days in Memphis.

Cole

" The Belmonts! And they have a friend! That’s…what…in my ear, they’re telling me that’s Vampire Warrior! Vampire Warrior Alucard! And here come the Vampire Warriors!!"

Leaping Lanny

" They’re here to unleash more punishment on Raven! Raven was stranded last week by the Warrior, and had to face these two on his own!! And…wait a second --"

At this point Kanyon moved forward, pulling out a red whip. He held it out to Raven, gesturing for him to take it. Cole mentioned that Raven was a ‘changed man’, vowing to trust no one. Lanny pulled out some good stuff here saying how Raven already went to battle with The Vampire Warriors, as the Belmonts are now being billed, and how the best of enemies make the best team. After some stalling, Raven took the whip, still staring at his new friends with caution. When the lights came back on, all four men followed Raven’s lead and started whipping the The Rock N Roll Superstar relentlessly. Poffo called them, “ A pack of wolves”, as they whipped The Superstar into the adverts. Smart move by having Superstar cut the sure heel promo; The fans loved the attack.

Overall: 61

Crowd: 62

Match: 61

raven2.jpgalucard2.jpg

belmonts2.jpg

22:15

-ADVERTS-

Bad Breed (Ian & Axel Rotten) d. Demolition (Axer & Smasher) – WOW TAG TEAM TOURNAMENT

Pretty good match, here. The Axer – Axel stuff was great, with Axer and Ian going blow for blow with the chops. Either that, or I was really enjoying here Cole say “Axel and Axer” and getting tongue tied a few times. At 7:23, Mr. Fuji was seen looking on, on the balcony level, grinning. Demolition were concerned, as the announcers noted the carnage that The Psycho Circus left behind last week. The crowd started to stir as Ax and Smash were visibly concerned, as was the ref. With the ref trying to usher Mr. Fuji away, Ian hit Ax from behind with a steel chair as did Axel to Smash. They both followed up by piledriving Demolition on the chairs. Fuji just stood up at the balcony laughing at referee Tedd Miller. Finally, Fuji waddled away, and Miller went to counting the three on Smash. As a result of this, Bad Breed will face The Legion Of Doom in the semi-finals for the WOW Tag belts.

Overall: 58

Crowd: 50

Match: 66

Ian Rotten gained 1 point of overness from this match. Axl Rotten gained 1 point of overness from this match.

+++++++++++++++

Just before going into the break, Larry Rivera was backstage with The Hardy Brothers and Jimmy “Jam” Garvin. Garvin said that from now on Jeff and Matt Hardy should be referred to as OMEGA.

+++++++++++++++

-ADVERTS-

22:31

OMEGA (Jeff & Matt Hardy) w/ Jimmy “Jam” Garvin d. The Vampire Warriors (Adam Simon & Kanyon Belmont) w/ Vampire Warrior Alucard via DQ – WOW TAG TEAM TOURNAMENT

The Vampire Warrior’s entrance is so eerie. OMEGA’s new entrance is so flashy that almost put me into an epileptic seizure. All four men worked hard, here. Crowd cheered both teams, moreso the Vampire Warriors due to their earlier whipping actions. The Hardys weren’t really being cheered against, instead maybe just not cheered at all. Garvin got most of the cheers for that team. Kanyon looked much more impressive than Adam Simon. Cole noted how the Hardys have newfound confidence in themselves, since being under the wing of Garvin. Cole, it’s only been under an hour. Heyman or Scotty would’ve called Cole out on that, but Poffo let it go. The Hardys were all over the place, and the crowd got behind them with their high flying style. At 12:33, Jeff went to the top rope as Kaynon was slowly getting up and got him with a beautifully timed cartwheel kick from the top. Jeff went up to the other turnbuckle, and got him with another cartwheel kick. Small ‘Hardy’ chant as Jeff went to the tope, one more time, but Kaynon moved this time. Hen then nailed Jeff with an inverted neckbreaker for a near fall. Jeff was selling his neck being hurt, big time. Here, Kanyon signaled for the end and tagged in Adam Simon. Adam gave him a short arm clothesline, followed quickly with the boston crab. Kayon, then went to the top and gave Jeff a legdrop to the back of the head while he was in the crab.

Jeff looked to be a goner here, but instead of going for the cover, both Kanyon and Adam Simon began to gaze over to their whips in the corner. Vampire Warrior was seen (and heard) laughing in the background as Kanyon picked up the two brown whips, and gave Adam Simon his. Within seconds the two started whipping Jeff until Matt made the save. The referee called for the bell at 17:01 over one advert break, disqualifying the Vampire Warriors. Jimmy “Jam” celebrated with OMEGA, and kept saying, “High rollers!” Hmmm. So the Hardy’s are gamblers now, in Garvin’s mind. I guess Freebird Garvin is WOW’s Freebird Michael Hayes.

Overall: 66

Crowd: 51

Match: 82

-ADVERTS-

22:51

**Planet Saturn w/ Ken Shamrock**

Coming out of the break, Perry Saturn was standing in the ring with Pluto (Shannon Moore). Saturn, who really wasn’t known for his promo skills in ECW seems to be getting better week by week. His very slick looking suit with dark shades contrasted with Pluto Moore’s ridiculously multi coloured outfit is enough diverted attention elsewhere for the fans, rather than toward his occasional stutter and awkward pauses. Saturn held the mic for a while, eyeing down the crowd. The crowd started to boo as he paused. Saturn decided to heel more and sarcastically faked beginning to speak stirring the crowd, even more. Finally, he flicked up his glasses and screamed;

Saturn has been stationed and is in retrograde -- welcome to ‘ Planet Saturn!’” Saturn got more booes, but there were a lot of fans popping. Saturn introduced Ken Shamrock who came out to a nice reaction.

Saturn

"Well, at the very first WOW show you defeated the great Antonio Inoki! What’s next for the Ultimate Fighting’ superstar!’"

Shamrock

" With all do respect to Mr. Inoki, he is an absolute great competitor! You see, I didn’t just beat Antonio Inoki…you said it, space boy. [*crowd laughs, Perry Saturn and Pluto Moore glance at Shamrock*] I beat THE GREAT, Antonio Inoki. I beat a man that was in the ring with, Hulk Hogan [*crowd booes N.W.O Hogan, Andre The Giant [*crowd cheers*], Mohammed Ali *crowd pops*] – I beat, A former world champion! And that deserves, reward!"

Here, Perry Saturn and Shannon Moore were still glancing at Shamrock for the ‘space boy’ comment.

Shamrock [*Glancing, right back at Saturn*]

"Yea – Space Boy."

Cole

" There’s tension."

Saturn

" What do you mean, Space Boy?"

Shamrock

" I mean, well…look…this guy Pluto Moore or what ever his name is – He’s dressed like a rainbow after 60 Budweisers[*crowd laughs*] --- But, I am challenging the winner of the WOW Heavyweight Title Championship Title match at the WOW Holiday Show, to a World Title shot at STABLE WARS! You see, I beat a legend! And the reward of becoming one is only appropriate! Muta…Mr. Sandma---"

Here, Pluto Moore charged Shamrock. Shamrock countered quickly, dodging and slipping Moore into an armlock. Saturn quickly left the ring and charged ring announcer, Joel Gertner, sitting by the announcer’s table, now right by the ring, similar to boxing. Saturn tossed Gertner, grabbed the chair, and gave Shamrock one of the stiffest chair shots to the head that I’ve seen in quite some time. Shamrock collapsed, face first, releasing his armbar. While Moore massaged his injured arm, Saturn teased another chair shot, as Shamrock tried to get up. Most of the crowd booed, but Saturn gained a group of fans at ringside that were very vocal. Acknowledging that group, he followed with another really loud shot across the back of Shamrock.

Saturn.jpgsmoore.jpg

**Saturn Conjunction Pluto**

Moore finally struggled up after selling the armbar big time. Saturn started making motions to Moore, and Moore knew exactly what to do. Moore suddenly went to the outside apron, and pivoted himself on the second turnbuckle, ready to climb to the top. Saturn lifted Shamrock into what looked to be a super power bomb. But instead, he got close to Pluto. Pluto then went to the top finishing Shamrock off with a DDT from from atomp Saturn as he rotated, and propped Shamrock off his his shoulders to Moore, allowing Shamrock to be nailed in the center of the ring. Crowd reacted really well to the move. Nice spot.

Cole

" Oh my!! Saturn and Moore…seemingly offended --"

Saturn helped up Moore, grabbed the mic, and said, grimacing at the fallen Shamrock.

Saturn

" Saturn is now direct!"

Saturn strolled out with Moore to more of a heel reaction, but the front section were cheering Saturn and were incredibly vocal. Looks like they are getting Shamrock into the Title picture. Poffo, calling it an exclusive, said that that move was called Saturn Conjuction Pluto. Saturn and Moore – moreso Saturn, did well, here.

It looks like Shamrock is headed into the Title picture after all. They did a better job of getting Inoki over in 2 minutes, than they did with that nearly 5 minute video package on Inoki at the inaugural show.

62%

Perry Saturn gained 3 points of overness from this segment. Ken Shamrock lost 2 points of overness from this segment.

-ADVERTS-

23:01

**The Cane vs. The Crutch **

Next up was the match between The Sandman & Terry Funk. With the fair timeslots, with the great lead in on boxing, HBO SPORTS has apparently told WOW to focus on everyone’s individual strengths. And, that they surely did in this match. This had Heyman footprints all over this. Announcers noted that the referee was Ronnie Garvin. Funk grabbed the mic.

Funk

" Shut up! [*Fans boo*] Stupid Las Vegas pieces of [*pulls the mic away; inaudible – crowd booes*]!! Listen! I came here to whip some tail, so Sandman! Mr. Sandman! You wanna be…Extreme? Your extremeness ain’t gonna do shit against the Great Muta, at the Holiday Show! C’mon down Mr. Sandman. Bring your little friend Paulie, too! C’mon! But wait a second! [*crowd booes*] Can we get Commissioner Slaughter out here? Just as I did as at the very first show ever, I wanna bend the rules to make this my kinda match! Let’s have a no rules match!! C’mon!"

-ADVERTS-

23: 06

WOW returned on the air with Funk pacing inside the ring with Ole Anderson on a crutch, waiting for Commissioner Slaughter, and perhaps Mr. Sandman. As he waited Michael Cole went over the completed card for The WOW Holiday Show.

lannya.jpgcolea.jpg

Cole

" We are just one week away from the WOW Holiday Show, and I’m sure feeling the Holiday spirit! Are you, Poffo!?"

Poffo

" I’m not sure I ever know what I’m feeling, sitting here next to you, Cole."

Cole

" [*laughs*] Only, right here in WOW, on HBO2, folks!

In the Main Event, The Great Muta takes on the Sandman, for the WOW Heavyweight Title!"

Poffo

"We seen the height of this feud come right here on WOW, Saturday Night!

It was the first ever WOW CAGES GAMES, what a plight!

Sandman was the last, surprised by the champ!

Muta showed him the belt then spit in his face!

Sandman’s got one thing on his mind – That World Title, and a head full of haste!"

Cole

" Also, this just added, Kurg The Mighty & Rick R.U.D.E. vs. Sgt. Slaughter & Demolition!"

Poffo

" Rude’s in WOW, Slaughter would like otherwise!

He’s brought a Giant, and 7 foot site to the human eyes….

Kurg The Mighty, The Uzbekistan Giant, just one step he’ll cover the room!

Any opposition while brave, is quickly led to doom."

Cole

" The sanctioned WOW Tag Team Titles will be crowned onto one team, next week. We’ve seen a tag team division grow, and next week we will see who the best tag team is! In the semi finals, because of their victory tonight, The tag team veterans, the favourites to win this tournament, Road Warriors take on Demolition!"

Poffo

" Former world tag team champions, the Legion Of Doom, Animal & Hawk!

Their opponents are bad to the bone and may make them take a walk!"

Cole

" The winner of that match will face, in the finals, the winner of this semi final match – Are you ready for this? MASS DESTRUCTION, Evil Doink & Abdullah The Butcher vs. OMEGA, Jimmy “Jam” Garvin’s Jeff & Matt Hardy."

Poffo

" Those skinny high rollers Jeff & Matt –

They’ll fly around the ring, just like a knat!

But they are not ready – Not ready for the Albano-Fuji construction!

Of the barbaric Abdullah – Evil Doink,- That’s Mass Destruction!!"

Cole

" I agree with you that OMEGA, are not ready, and Jimmy Jam is going to have his work cut out for him! Plus Raven will go one on one with The Ultimate One -- The Warrior!"

Poffo

" Potential tag partners, an absolute dream team if you will!

The dark Raven and the powerful Warrior, a team of thrill!

Slated to enter the tournament together against Adam Simon & Kanyon Belmont –

But Raven was stranded, being whipped all the way to Vermont!

The Warrior, acting strange ever since –

Could we have a hiccup, a small mince?

A plebian confused, if y---"

Cole

" Um..ahem, Lanny! [*points to watch*]"

Poffo

" Never interrupt the Limerick Legend when he is in prose!"

Cole

" Ken Shamrock…who came out here earlier challenging the winner of the WOW Title match, has issued an open challenge, to anyone in WOW! I wonder who will answer the challenge!?"

Poffo

" No one wants to get into the ring with Ken Shamrock, The Master Of Attack!"

This man can hurt you in a thousands different ways, snapping your neck, leg, arms, and back!

He’s beaten Antonio Inoki in a half hour classic!

Making Inoki submit, not an easy tactic!

Cole

" Indeed he did. And here’s another match just added – Oh my, the Palladium Centre will be rockin next, Sunday, because get this: Kurt Angle has vowed to have an in ring meeting with WOW owner, Ricky Steamboat! Angle will stop at nothing…we heard him earlier today….trying to get his contract modified --"Poffo

" This man is an Olympic gold medalist, a man among men!

He deserves special treatment – He should be waited on, when he says when.

He demands to see the owner of WOW Ricky, ‘ The Dragon’ Steamboat!

Will he come out, or continue to hide behind the Commissioner, that military showboat!"

Cole

" We are only one week away, and --- wait a second, speaking of Commissioner Slaughter --"

Poffo

" That military showboat? Now, Cole answer me this? Who dresses in a military outfit everyday?"

Cole

" I dunno. I guess The Geniuses that dress up in a gown and where tassels."

Poffo

" What’s that supposed to mean?"

Slaughter came out and had a discussion with Ronnie Garvin. Slaughter agreed that this could be a no-rules match, but said that the WOW no rules matches had no referee. The only way to win a WOW no-rules match is to be the last man standing. The crowd popped for this, as Mr. Sandman’s music hit the ring. Sandman is an instant top face because he’s drinking Budweiser all the time, one of the biggest sponsors of WOW. Sandman did his beer chugging spot twice before heading into the ring with Paul Heyman.

Sandman

" So you wanna make this a no-rules match! LET’S DO IT! It’ll probably be a better idea to get that ref out of the ring…my cane might just slip, and I might do this!"

With that, Sandman caned Funk square in the head, staggering him. The bell ring, and Garvin, Heyman, and Slaughter fled out of the ring. The announcers noted that Ole Anderson, the NWAA advisor was injured at the hands of the Sandman at the WOW CAGE GAMES match. It was really Snuka, but for storyline purposes, I guess they’re going with Sandman. Anderson’s got some sort of twisted ankle, so he’s got to wear a brace on his foot and use crutches. Sandman blasted Funk again, causing him to be groggy. Crowd chanted “1 more time”, here as Sandman went across the ropes for a running shot, but Funk ducked causing Sandman to fly over the top rope to the outside. Anderson quickly hovered over the Sandman before blasting him over the back with his crutch. He continued to do so, until Funk recoverd. Funk went to the table that Gertner was sitting at, and shoved Gertner and the ring attendants from the table. Funk threw the table in the ring, as Ole continued to pound that crutch on the Sandman’s back. At this point, Tully Blanchard, accompanied by Dory Funk Jr., came to the ring. Dory went into the ring, grabbed the cane, then went to the outside where Ole hit Mr. Sandman with the 5th crutch shot. Finally out came, as Cole described him, ‘The Master Of The Moonsault, The WOW Champion – The Great Muta.

Funk set up the table in the centre of the ring, as Blanchard & Anderson put the boots to Sandman to the outside. Blanchard & Anderson, two of the 4 original Horsemen, as noted by Poffo, held up Sandman as Dory caned Sandman across the head, causing him to bleed. While this was going on, Terry had pulled out what looked to be Gasoline from underneath the ring. Because you always want to be sure to have your gasoline under the ring at all times. Muta, wearing his ring garb and title, poured it over the table. Dory and company, then threw the beaten Sandman into the ring to Muta. Muta picked up Sandman and placed him on the table, as Terry teased a moonsault. At 5:34 of this match Funker did his moonsault onto Sandman threw the table. With Sandman laying there, Terry held up a match to the crowd.

Cole

" Don’t tell me he’s going to light Mr. Sandman on fire!?"

Poffo

" [*low*] I wish he’d light you on fire."

Tommy Dreamer came blazing to the ring, as Funk threw a lit match onto the table. The table quickly went up in flames, but Dreamer had just pulled the limp Sandman out of the ring. Heyman & Dreamer carried the Sandman out of the ring who were ‘unsure’ as to if Mr. Sandman was burnt. WOW went off the air with The Great Muta holding up his WOW title above the flame engulfed table. The rest of the NWAA were laughing at what was done to Mr. Sandman. Most of the close-ups were that of Terry laughing and Muta holding up the belt. 76%

Terry Funk gained 1 point of overness from this segment.

Commentary Aftermath

Cole: " Oh my! Tommy Dreamer came just seconds in time, but also seconds too late!"

Leaping Lanny: " With all this damage done to the Sandman, will he be ready to compete in one week?"

Cole: " The Sandman was absolutely maimed, here tonight by the NWAA! They knew what they were doing!"

Leaping Lanny: " It all started with the mastermind…the NWAA advisor, Ole Anderson. When Sandman missed his attack on Funk, Anderson let him know that he wasn’t happy about having to walk around on a crutch now! Thanks to that man, Mr. Sandman! He got what he deserved!"

Cole: " Well, please join us next week! Right here on HBO2! Special 3 hour show, once again live at the Palladium Air Centre! It’s The WOW Holiday Show!! We’re on an hour early, 9pm Eastern, 8 Pacific, see you then! It’s WOW, where the bigger boys play!"

Up Next: The WOW Holiday Show!!

• 2 weeks later...

Boxing Day

Scott A. Murphy Casino

Dec 97

Just hours before the WOW HOLIDAY SHOW taping, to air in two days, Terry Taylor & Tully Blanchard were looking over the shoulder of Ole Anderson as he stood mesmerized in front of a gambling machine in the Scott A. Murphy Casino, just across the street from the Palladium Air Centre in downtown, Las Vegas.

Anderson

" This is amazing…it’s the WOW Gambling machine."

Blanchard

" Oh yea, Terry was telling me about this."

Taylor

" Yea, Heyman thought of this."

Anderson

" That kid, Paul? He thought of this?"

Taylor

" Yea. I guess this is why Slaughter put him on the promotion committee. This machine allows WOW fans to gamble on matches. The payback amounts are right below each match preview. The payouts are obviously somewhat big for the big matches, but also so for the undercard – matches that are not easy to predict since they may consist of wrestlers who may not have as much exposure, as say, The Great Muta."

Anderson

" And the winner gets to meet the wrassler of his choice or somethin’ like that, right?"

Taylor

" That’s right."

Blanchard

" Imagine if the winner picks Hellwig. I hope he shows up – Warrior, that is!"

All three laugh.

-----------

WORLD OF WRESTLING’S

HOLIDAY SHOW PREVIEW!!!

PLACE YOUR BETS!!!

CHIPS.jpg

1. Everyone (readers) start with $5,000, or $5,000WD.

2. Payback amounts are directly below match previews

i.e. The Main Event pays 4-1 to the winner. That means if you bet $2,000 of your WOW DOLLARS on the Main Event Championship match on the winner, you would win $8,000 WOW DOLLARS. Look for the *sign to see where payback amounts are indicited.

3. The highest roller (biggest winner) will pick the wrestler of his choice to get a push.*+*

4. Feedback WITH predictions encouraged. No cheating…we can add.

hbosports.jpg

wow.jpg

The WOW HO-HO-HOLIDAY SHOW!!!

Live, From the Palladium Air Centre, - Las Vegas, Nevada

MAIN EVENT - WORLD OF WRESTLING HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE MATCH

mrsandmanho.jpg VS. thegreatmutaho.jpg

Challenger; Mr. Sandman w/ Paul Heyman- - - - Champion; The Great Muta w/ Ole Anderson

*5-1

DOUBLE MAIN EVENT!

Warriorho.jpg VS. ravenHO.jpg

The Warrior vs. Raven

*4-1

WOW TAG TEAM TITLE TOURNAMENT FINAL MATCHES

abdullahho.jpgevildoinkho.jpg

Mass Destruction w/ Captain Lou Albano

Abdullah The Butcher & Evil Doink

VS.

omegaho.jpg

Team Omega w/ Jimmy "Jam" Garvin

Matt & Jeff Hardy

*3-1

Then in the championship match, faces the winner of:

The Legion Of Doom (Road Warrior Hawk & Road Warrior Animal) w/ Paul Ellering

vs.

Bad Breed (Axl & Ian Rotten)

*3-1

Plus!!!

tdho.jpg VS. tatankaho.jpg

Tommy Dreamer vs. Spirit Of The Cherokee Horse, Tatanka

*3-1

Grudge Match!!

slaughterho.jpg VS. rrho.jpg

Commissioner Slaughter & Demolition (Ax & Smash) vs. Rick RUDE & Kurg The Mighty

*3-1

3 HOUR HOLIDAY SPECTACULAR!!

- Balls Mahoney vs. Prime Time Brian Lee

*2-1

- The first ever ‘Kanyon Kalling’ w/ Kanyon Belmont

NO BETS

- An open challenge from Ken Shamrock!!

NO BETS

- An appearance by 1996 Olympic Gold Medalist Kurt Angle w/ Russ & Charlie!!

NO BETS

HBO.jpg

Guest Makegamesnotwar

I'm getting closer- let's give the full detail, diary...er comments. As I've been doing. Only fit for a Javert diary.

This time, I don't have a soundtrack or a movie to go with my comments. Meh. I was thinking about using Bob Dylan's Planet Waves or Sabbath's Paranoid but they don't really fit the mood of WOW. So, minus the soundtrack or movie- here we go.

8th Post-

If I'm thinking correctly, I left off where I left off and the December 15th Wrestling Observer is where I should start. So let's hitt it off.

Those ratings, as noted before a rather stellar for a start up. Of course Heyman is given credit- he's Paulie! Nice to see more ECW-WOW interconnectedness, a working agreement maybe?

Oh, no. Anderson is going to kill WOW. Calm down, breathe in, breathe out. Whew. Ok- I get the whole getting pissed off at Morton for being a drunk. I would too. Lance Storm is such a rat. Trying to curry favor with the bosses. But I still love him because he's from-

Calgary...Alberta, Canada!

Nice to get some exposition on the forming of WOW, with the talk about HBO pressuring them for a more modern product(very keen and realistic, by the way.) I don't know if Inoki is the guy for a more current program, after all, his booking is rather old school in that time period, not the revolutionary stuff Heyman was doing by any stretch. But still. Poor Tito Santana, can you mention how the AWF tanked any more times? I'm about to put a counter up here. Heh.

Muta vs Sandman- Big clash of styles yet you always write such killer clash of styles matches. We all know the basics of how they'd fight eachother but it's in the nuances that show the contrast. Mist vs Singapore Cane. That should be good.

Cole making a mistake? I'm aghast, astonished and not at all surprised. Nice to imagine Anderson berating Cole-

"Why did we even hire you, you newscaster piece of crap. You don't even know who Sandman is except the guy that sneaks into your bedroom at night and puts sand in your eyes, you little pissant!"

"Well... at least I'm funny in a car crash, can't look but can't bear to look away type of way."

"Yeah, I guess so. Now clean the bathrooms with this toothbrush!"

Predictions-

Muta over Sandman- You like to establish strong heel champions.

MASS DESTRUCTON(all caps apparently) over Hardyz- Well, that's not hard, just a built in squash. Though it gives you some time to highlight Doink and Abdullah working together.

LOD vs Bad Breed- Hey, you just spoilerized your own show! Swank. But, hey, more Psycho Circus= more fun.

Raven over Warrior- Job him out and transfer his over to guys who are the future of WOW like Raven. So it is written, so it will come to pass. Maybe. Probably. There's a chance, right?

Kurg The Mighty is mark out material but he needs a little something, a hook to get me into that territory.

Rude and Kurg over Demolition- Wouldn't want to spoil Kurg and Rude's momentum, right?

Nice little thing about Rude's flexing.

Angle over The Rock N Roll Superstar- Don't know what you're doing with Gibson under a mask, though you have Morton, right? Instant tag division boost. Your tag division is really shaping up well, one of the things I enjoy in your diaries.

Don't feud Angle with Shamrock because they use the same finish. At least for now.

Nice to see some more backstage dynamics, which this diary could use more of- see TMMMs WCW 2001 diary- the backstage stuff makes that diary and you have enough different, contrasting personalities to have a heck of a lot of fun through backstage meetings.

Shamrock on the stick? Yeesh. I don't know what his stats are but he's not exactly a mic wizard.

*Hums Pinball Wizard- great song*

You have a lot of announcers. Though your line up for announcing is solid, though not how I'd go with it.

Oh, so it is Gibson being punished for Morton's sins. That always works :) . Very realistic, I'll give you that.

Hah- Dundee got canned. Not like you have a lack of trainers, anyway.

Good to see some high flying being introduced- Jushin Liger. That is all.

Dang, Ole got hurt. Please give us more adverts.

Oh, and writing out the Slaughter on Letterman thing would be interesting. Don't know about Goldberg could help, could hurt.

HIRE MIKE LOCKWOOD!

9th Post-

Another show! Rejoicing shall begin.

*Rejoices.*

Ok, rejoicing over. I'm getting closer and closer to catching up to you, you can't run, you can't hide- you are now the hunted! MUWAHAH! Ok, that wasn't really funny. Dang.

Whoo! 2.0 baby!

Nice to see that.

Joel Gertner, why isn't he doing more announcing? Whatever. Slaughter's little group needs a good name. I would give suggestions but... you're f'ing Javert. You'll figure it out.

Yeah, the Psycho Circus is the sickst group of animals he's ever seen. That's why they pown everybody. Except Mike Lockwood! HIRE LOCKWOOD!

I see you sort of posing the Hardy's as the next Freedbirds but remember the New Blackjacks. That is all. New Coke.

Isn't that nice of Ricky Steamboat! Wishing us a happy holiday. WOOO! Hour and a half!

Angle+ Haases=Gold. Olympic Gold, College Gold. Gold.

Grade A repackaging and promo in the Slaughter-Angle-Haases thing.

Oh my Seinefeild. That is awesome. Intentional or not, good commentary on ECW's crucifixtion angle and Kurt's reaction. Also gives his own version of Raven's rules, further contrasting the ECW guys and the Old School guys in WOW. Setting up some future story lines me thinks.

Dang, no writting out of the Raven interview- it's a Raven interview, for sakes. Screams to be written out. I like Gibson going for the cheap heat.

I like the "they sure made Warrior sound like a low-life" comment given the E-bay thing that popped up recently. He typed it in less than 3 minutes, BY GAWD! WHAT A HOSS!

Kanyon! I don't care for Clark or Vampire Warrior but hey- who betta than Kanyon? Alucard is a great name for a vampire.

Can I call them the Flock already? Well, I will until you give them a name- the Flock is back!

Bad Breed with the upset, very surprising that they went over Axel and Axer :) . You can get so much mileage out of mocking Cole, it's pretty much limitless.

"Axl Rotten, like part of his car is rotten. That guy is Axer, like someone who weilds an axe. Get it, Cole?"

*Cole's brain explodes*

"Well, that'll be some paperwork there. Cleaning crew?"

Anyway, Bad Breed vs Demolition-

It could be you're setting up Bad Breed as Psycho Circus guys or just Psycho Circus trying to get the easier opponents for the next round. Or somethin'.

OMEGA! Oh yeah, baby.

-ADVERTS THAT SHOULD BE WRITTEN OUT-

By the way, I'm willing to write out any adverts. I have the time. Sunny D- The Alpha Of The OMEGA of your orange drinks! Yeah, I have to brainstorm.

WOW- and by wow I mean the shock as OMEGA goes over!

You know, it's your style and everything but when you write that an entrance is eerie or flashy, one just begs for a description. No, Kanyon looking better than Kronikly Krappy Brian Klark? Wow.

"Cole, it's only been an hour"- Great stuff. Poffo- what a pussy. CALL HIM OUT, LANNY! CALL HIM OUT! I used to like you, Poffo, I used to think you're cool.

*Pouts*

I get that you're putting the Flock guys over here but... they should have gone over, not lost by DQ. Hardys, you have a lot of time to build them up. Don't try to shoot them up the card. Dang Matt, I would have liked some gory descrip. of the Passion Of Jeff. Great comparison with the Garvin- Hayes stuff.

Don't know about Ken Shamrock on the stick but it's more Planet Saturn so... Again, just begging for descrips with Saturn and Moore's outfits. I know, leave it up to the imaginations, etc. But still.

Welcome to Planet saturn! Shamrock sounds a little heely with the "that deserves reward" line. Still. Oh, and Jim Duggan was in the ring with Hogan and Andre too. Yet I guess Shamrock six degreeses himself into beating Hogan, Andre, Ali and Inoki. Right.

That space boy stuff is classic. Rainbow after 60 buds- Shamrock pulls out his rarest move- the JOKE! BY GAWD, HE DECAPITATED HIM WITH THAT BRUTAL JOKE! BY GAWD, JERRY, BY GAWD!

Hah, Moore gets powned by Shamrock. Saturn vs Shamrock would bbe a good feud with both having very good tech. ratings and similar styles, plus they haven't faced off much. I'd mark,. maybe. Oh, dang nice spot with the Planet Saturn double team- maybe call it the Saturn Exploration? Or THE PROBE. Though, THE PROBE gives a bit of a... undertone of icky. Anal probes and such.

"Saturn is now direct!" Not the best catchphrase but pretty good. Saturn Conjuction Pluto, ok, I guess that's a good name. Sorry that Shammy lost 2 over but it was worth it to have such an awesome segement.

The Cane vs The Crutch-

Short and sweet Funk promo. You gotta have Ole Anderson punk someone out with the crutch. Having been on crutches for around a year of my life, those things hurt when you hit someone with them. I recommend the titanium ones- Ole can afford it. :)

Cole learns his lesson- Never interrupt the Limerick Legend. Just waiting for Poffo to snap. That's very good stuff with Poffo-Cole. Keep at it. Oh my, Cole even got a shot in on Poffo. I predict that eventually Cole will grow some balls only to be revealed that he'll never have any balls.

Wait- so is it a No DQ match or a last man standing? I'd be chanting "ten more times" myself. Set your goals high. Canings for everyone! It's like eating beans with every meal and eating an apple a day- mandatory.You writing Ole as such an uber-dick. Good stuff. Lots of run ins- doesn't that pretty much dictate a cage match to blow off the feud?

Cole

" Don’t tell me he’s going to light Mr. Sandman on fire!?"

Poffo

" [*low*] I wish he’d light you on fire."

Ok, Poffo's redeemed. Dang, you teased the burning yet didn't deliver. Though that dictates an inferno match as the end of the feud- cage inferno? That could be good.

Quality show, as always.

10th post-

I might actually catch up with you... would that cause the universe to implode upon itself? Hopefully not, I like the universe. It's cute.

Boxing Day, underrated holiday.

Nice little thing with the WOW gambling machine. Seems like something Heyman would come up with.

I'm not a betting kind of... yet it's so irresistable and a great twist on the usual prediction contests- maybe even better than The Oracle diary where you could pick the main event(I actually won one of those back in the day)

Most likely, given the detail of how much I've studied the diary I'll go 0 for whatever and go broke. Then I'd have to turn to sexual favors in excahnge for money and I'm not pretty enough for that. :(

Well, good luck with Holiday Show, Javert!

Ahead this upcoming week:

-The David Letterman segment with SGT. Slaughter (Connections with HBO has gotten Slaughter spots on Letterman, Leno, and various cutting edge radio shows)

-The WOW Holiday Show.

-The Javert scenerio. Sorry, but this time it's fo' real.

Happy reading, and even if we dont' participate the views are amazing. Thanks everyone for reading :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ricky Steamboat’s

wow.jpg

The WOW HO-HO-HOLIDAY SHOW!!!

Presented by HBO Sports on HBO2

Dec 28rd1997

Palladium Air Centre, Las Vegas - Nevada

Attendance: 2,092 people (1,102 sold)

Announcers: Michael Cole & Scotty The Body

I did not get to catch Letterman so I will review that show when I get the notes in.

WOW management and HBO began to panic with only 600 tickets sold up until the day before the show, just a shy number over their 692 paid at the inaugural show. But in what turned out to be a really decent show, WOW brought in a great gate with the Palladium Air Centre sold out of their 3,000 seats. Walkup ticket sales were good, way higher than for the normal tapings and inaugural show. While we don’t have merchandise and ratings numbers yet, those were also higher than the inaugural show leading WOW on a continued onward and seemingly upward path. They gave a little under a half of the total away to fill up the arena.

The Holiday Show opened up on TV with a nice video package done to Manowar’s “Outlaw” recapping the steps to the WOW Title picture. Michael Cole was introduced by Joel Gertner and got some serious booes. Next came the surprise of Scotty The Body – Levy really pulled out the gear on this day.

scottyc.jpgcolea.jpg

Sean Cole

" Hello everyone and welcome to the WOW Holiday Show! What a night we are in for, tonight! This is going to be such a great show! I’m Michael Sean Cole side by side with Scotty The Body!!!! "

Scotty

" Woo hoo!! First of all, you’re not side by side with anyone. I don’t wanna be doing any side by siding with you, Cole! Or should I say Sean Cole?"

Cole

" Well, I’m having a little bit of an identity crises, like you Scotty, and my given name is Sean, so I’m going to go by it!"

Scotty

" Identity crises, psssttt – You don’t know what you’re talking about! All I know is that we are in for a historic night! What a card!"

Cole

" And folks, here we go!"

Here, the lights dimmed, with the lights show representing Ken Shamrock. Crowd popped as Shamrock walked into the ring, and immediately began to pace with complete focus.

Cole

" Who could it be? Who could it be! Who will answer the challenge that Ken Shamrock, the Master Of Attack set forth for this match…wait a second!! It’s --"

[*The Honky Tonk Man emerges from the crowd, and gets a huge pop.*]

Scotty

" Honky Tonk Man!?"

Cole

" It’s Honky Tonk Man! But wait….he’s pointing to the curtain….."

[*Out comes, in a new masked outfit, The Rock N Roll Superstar – Robert Gibson, under a mask. His mask is yellow and has black music notes in glitter on his mask. He has guitar glitter on his all black wrestling attire.*]

Scotty

" Yes! The Rock N Roll Superstar!! The Rock N Roll Superstar has answered the challenge!"

1. Ken Shamrock [over=80] d. The Rock N Roll Superstar [over=65] w/ Honky Tonk Man[over=67] in 11:07

Shamrock worked incredibly well here, almost purely adapting to the old-school type of wrestling of Gibson, and still manage to keep the fans into the opener. The two began with a couple of lock-up spots that went no where. Finally Shamrock stunned Superstar with two surprise hip-tosses. Crowd popped for this as Superstar retreated to Honky Tonk. They locked up again, this time with Superstar eye gauging Shamrock, then putting him into an armlock. After a few moments, Shamrock reversed the armlock, putting one on the Superstar until he struggled over to the ropes. Small ‘kick his ass’ chant at 5:21, when Honky Tonk tripped up Shamrock coming off of the ropes. Shamrock stared Honky down, until Rock N Roll charged Shamrock from behind with a knee to the small of the back. Superstar got Shamrock with a an overhead toss, and an atomic drop, then tauted the crowd. After a near fall Superstar nailed Shamrock with a spinning backdrop for another near fall. At 8:01, Shamrock began to show signs of life by elbowing Superstar, trying to get out of a headlock. Shamrock tried lifting him into a backdrop, but Superstar quickly punched him, stopping the effort, completely no-selling Shamrock even trying. Superstar then threw Shamrock into the turnbuckle, then went charging in with an avalanche. But, Shamrock caught Superstar, and held him in the position for a belly-to-belly suplex. At the pop of the crowd, Shamrock turned around, giving Superstar a beautiful belly-to-belly, that Superstar pretty much got right back up from. Shamrock then tackled Superstar and began to give him forearms to the face. Gibson really hurt the match with his no-selling. Superstar tried to fight back but was the victim of another belly to belly. Shamrock, now having his way with Superstar, pivoted himself in position for a spear, and did so, as soon as Superstar was on two feet. He followed with pummel punches, until Honky Tonk Man, guitar in hand got in the ring. He went to hit Shamrock, but Shamrock turned around in time, and blocked the guitar by holding it in resistance. Shamrock wrestled the guitar out of Honky’s hand and proceeded to smashing it in the ring, popping the crowd, again. Honky darted out of the ring in freight. Shamrock then administered an ankle lock hold on Superstar for the submission victory at 11:07.**

Crowd: 65

Match: 52

Commentary Aftermath

Cole

" Did you see Shamrock break that guitar!! Don’t get in his way!!"

Scotty

" Are you kidding me, Cole!? I hope Mr. Ken Shamrock is preparing to pay for that guitar!!"

Cole

" Well the Master of Attack, Ken Shamrock is victorious, and I don’t think Honky Tonk Man wants anything to do with Ken Shamrock! He could be the next WOW Heavyweight Champion! He put the challenge out there!"

21:15

-ADVERTS-

+++++++++++++++++==W=======W==++++++++++++++

After the break, Ken Resnick was in the back with Paul Ellering and The Legion Of Doom. Ellering said that he was going to unleash a more powerful Legion Of Doom than ever before. Hawk called BAD BREED baby Legion Of Doom, which was kinda funny. Out for special announcing duties for this match was Antonio Inoki.

+++++++++++++++++=======O======++++++++++++++

2. Legion Of Doom (Hawk[78] & Animal[80]) w/ Paul Ellering[70] & Power Warrior (Kensuki Sasaski[53]) d. BAD BREED (Ian[30] & Axl Rotten[45]) in 9:52 of a WOW Tag Team Tournament match

Making an appearance was Kensuki Sasaki in his Power Warrior gear, a moved most likely pioneered by Antonio Inoki. With Ole Anderson out the last two weeks for treatment for his broken ankle, and at the caution of having Paul Heyman have too much input, it was Sgt. Slaughter, Antonio Inoki, and Tito Santana who did the majority of writing for this show. An Ok match, with a lot of power spots -- but BAD BREED were not believed by the crowd to have had a chance in this match. After the Doomsday Device victory on Ian Rotten, instead of LOD’s music playing suddenly playing was:

Music Plays:

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Hello

Here I am!

Here we are,we are one

I've been waiting for this night to come

Get up!

Now it's time for me to take my place

The make-up runnin' down my face

We're exiled from the human race.

You're in the psyyyyyy….

You're in the psycho circus

You're in the psyyyyyy…

I say welcome to the show!!

Cole

" Oh my this can only mean one thing! It’s Captain Lou Albano! It’s Abdullah The Butcher & Doink The Clown – MASS DESTRUCTION! And, lurking behind him! The wrestling veteran…the madman. The chair wielding George The Animal Steele with Mr. Fuji! And if they can defeat OMEGA, they will face The Legion Of Doom IN THE FINALS!!"

Scotty

" If they win? Cole did you not see what they did to OMEGA right here on HBO2 a couple of weeks ago! They decimated them! Of course they will win!!"

The Legion Of Doom had a brief stared down with the group, as they were on the outside of the ring. Aside from Fuji’s snickering, and Albano’s ramblings, no words were said between the wrestlers. Ellering lead his trio away, with all keep their eyes on Albano & Fuji’s trio.

After LOD excited the ring the group stood in the ring getting a very mixed reaction from the crowd. They were heels, but the crowd loved the team. Evil Doink began walking around the perimeter of the ring squirting crowd members with his chest flower.

Cole

" This is uncalled for!"

Scotty

" Get Cole! Get Cole! He said that you can’t beat OMEGA!"

Cole

" I said if they cannot--."

Scotty

" You’re implying, Michael Cole!"

Here, Doink the Clown was right over the announcing duo at ringside. He blated Cole with a squirt straight into his eyes. He continued to spray Cole, causing Cole to get up step away. Scotty was laughing. Mr. Fuji, snickering grabbed a microphone and said;

Tee Hee!! Hehehehe! Mister Cole, ohh yesss!! You spray with special, special Evil Doink liquid! Yes, yes, ancient Japanese weapon passed down through the Fuji clan during the period of the warring states! Liquid consist of 3 month old cow urine! [*crowd moans*] Teee!! Heee!!"

Albano

" And you know what to do with urine! You flush it! Hahah!! That’s right, baby!"

Cole, in anger, shoved Evil Doink, popping the crowd!

Scotty

" I don’t believe it, Cole has just shoved Evil Doink! Cole is picking a fight with Doink!"

Doink quickly grabbed Cole by his collar and threw in into the ring to George Steele standing and staring over him. Steele grabbed Cole and starting swinging him around like a ragdoll, ripping his shirt and jacket off. Suddenly Steele struck Cole with a chop to the throat, sending him flying. Abdullah quickly went of the ropes and planted Cole with an elbow that literally covered almost his entire upper body.

Officials Terry Taylor, Don West, and refs Teddy Long, Jeff Jones, Tito Santana, Ronnie Garvin, & Mike Chioda, hit the ring to the aid of Cole. Cole had to be carried out as Scotty pushed the card.

Scotty

" Wow! Psycho Circus – They destroyed Cole! Cole and his big mouth! Well we’ll be right back after this – It’s Sgt. Slaughter and Demolition against Rick Rude and The Mighty Kurg!! And tell Cole he’s got 120 seconds then we’re back on the air!"

Overall: 64

Crowd: 59

Match: 70

Animal debuted his new gimmick, it got a positive response. Hawk debuted his new gimmick, it got a positive response. Abdullah the Butcher debuted his new gimmick, it got a positive response. Doink The Clown debuted his new gimmick, it got a positive response.

-ADVERTS-

21:38

+++++++++++++

Out of the break, a Larry Rivera took seat of announcing duties to replace Cole. I actually think this was just to give Cole a breather since he came back out later, and somewhat of a tryout for Rivera. Rivera had a high pitched voice with a Puerto Rican accent. I think they’re going to bring in a English football announcer for internet radio named, Edward Monroe in to do the regular shows. He is a wrestling fan and, and this eliminated Cole, who’s wrestling knowledge is limited, from being exposed too much. There is, however, a lot of internal pressure put on Slaughter to bring in a wrestling announcer to alternate with Cole with lead duties, because the feeling is that Cole is getting exposed more and more on a weekly basis. If they are able to give him some time off, he also can hide behind a good colour guy like Vince McMahon did during his early days as a lead commentator.

+++++++++++++

3. Kurg The Mighty[25] & Rick Rude[66] d. Sgt. Slaughter[73] & Demolition (Ax[70] and Smash[70]) at 5:02

Slaughter came out in his Commissioner’s suit. Perhaps this is the new age Slaughter who only wears his army gear for WOW adverts. He got a really nice pop coming out with Demolition. Rude came out wearing what Scotty The Body described as a $2,000 wardrobe from the top French Line “Le Joli”. Rude is said to be enjoying his heel manager role with the monster Kurg. Rude and Sarge spent a couple of minutes yelling at each other, as Rude hid behind the monster Kurg. Rivera mentioned that Rude’s been working with weasels for a lot of his career, so is sure to have something up his sleave, in a reference to his time with Bobby ‘The Brain’ Heenan in the WWF. That sounds like writing from Terry Taylor. The bell rang and Rude suddenly charged Sarge and the two had a scuffle rolling around the ring. Demolition both went for Kurg, but Kurg caught them both by their necks. Kurg really made Ax look small here – and that’s hard to do. The 7 foot monster gave them a double chokeslam, surprising the crowd with his power. In the meantime, Rude and Slaughter continued to roll around with Slaughter temporally getting the upper hand now pinning Rude’s shoulder flat on the mat. After some punches to the head, Rude began to wiggle around and fight back. Kurg then put the claw on both members of Demolition for about 30 seconds. Slaughter began to get the upper hand again on Rude with some punches to the gut. Slaughter picked up Rude and tossed him against the ropes. Rude held on to the ropes and went underneath the ring. Slaughter had the crowd behind him as he taunted Rude to get back into the ring. Rivera said that he’s never seen Slaughter this fired up before. Rivera, I can send you tapes. As Slaughter continued to try to get Rude back into the ring, from behind Kurg smashed Slaughter with a boot to the back of the head. He then picked up him and choked him with both hands. Rude hopped back into the ring, after brushing off his jacket that he did not get to take off. Kurg held up Slaughter for Rude and pushed him into Rude. Rude set him up and nailed him with The Rude Awakening neckbreaker. Nice heel pop for Rude here. Kurg then put one foot on Slaughter for the 3 count. Scotty The Body noted how Kurg dwarfs over everyone in the ring. Officials and referees came in to the aid of Slaughter who sold big time, along with Demolition.*1/2

Overall: 65

Crowd: 59

Match: 72

Commentary Aftermath

Scotty

" That man is a monster! Commissioner Slaughter had better not get in the way of Rick Rude any longer, or this could start to be a pattern!"

Rivera

" Our Commissioner, SGT. Slaughter is being rushed to the back for some attention. Scotty…we don’t have a commissioner!!"

Scotty

" I think … huh? It’s…Kanyon Belmont..."

Rivera

" He’s without Adam Simon Belmont, his brother. He’s without Vampire Warrior, and….he’s without you!"

Scotty

" What?"

Rivera

" Last time on WOW SUNDAY NIGHT, you, he, Adam Simon, Vampire Warrior all with that relentless attack with your whips!! It was as if you had formed some sort pack with them. But, now here’s Kanyon coming out by himself!"

Scotty

" You lost me. Rivera, let’s catch up with things, huh? The Belmont Brothers very formidable tag team, Vampire Warrior making his debut, like you said last week on WOW Sunday Night…but here he is, Kanyon without the other two men. He’s jumping, he’s energetic, something’s up!"

**Kiss My Whip**

Kayon came out in his normal Belmont wear, which is the closest thing to equipment that I’d ever seen. He was really buzzing here, as he yelled;

Kanyon

" It’s time it’s time – it’s time for the Kanyon Kalling!! Where I Kanyon Belmont will set the stage for stardom for a new rookie here in WOW!! It’s here that greatness is prophesied! Ladies and gentlemen…the Kanyon Kalling this week is….. "

Scotty

" This is wild!"

Rivera

" The Kanyon Kalling?"

At this point 4 men in cloaks came down to the ring bringing a lottery ball on a table. This part was weird because Kanyon had to go to the outside to draw a wrestler. From what I understand, a table was supposed to be set up in the ring for Kanyon, but they decided to nix the idea of having the table because they want this to come across as something ‘spontaneous.’ Kanyon almost tripped on his cape after drawing and walking back to the middle of the ring.

Kanyon

" Ladies and gentleman! Mortals of the waking world! I introduce The Calgary Crippler Lance Storm!"

After a few minutes delay, Storm came out, dressed in a Stu Hart T-Shirt and jeans. Storm acted surprised as he didn’t expect to come out.

Scotty

"This is great! Kanyon’s giving the young whippersnappers a chance to have a voice, yeah!"

Rivera

" Well something smells funny around here, and it’s not the vampire juice that Kanyon Belmont brought to the ring."

Scotty

"[*chuckles, in a low tone*] Leave it to Rivera. What? What did you say? Where is there vampire juice?"

Rivera

" Well, you get my point, Raven. Something smells fishy, and I had steak for dinner."

Scotty

" Please stop."

Kanyon

" Welcome, my friend. What’s your name?"

Storm

" You know who I am. I am Lance Storm, the Calgary Clipper. And I’m from, Calgary, Alberta Canada. [*crowd laughed*]"

Kanyon

" Well ok Canadian Clipper! You are the first..recepie…no, no – WINNER, to be honoured by Clan Belmont! And so do you have anything on your very first, Kanyon Kalling! Speak to WOW! What’s YOUR plan in WOW?"

Storm

" Kanyon, my plan in WOW is very simple! To beat every single WOW Wrestler until there is no one left to beat. And then I win my first World Title of my career, right here in Ricky Steamboat’s World Of Wrestling! So, that means, if I have to go through The Ultimate Warrior [*a mix of jeers and chers*], The New Wrestling Alliance, [*crowd booes*], or anyone [*looks at Belmont*], then I’ll do it! [*crowd cheers*]"

Kanyon

" Well said, well said. Well, now there’s only one thing left to do! As a token of YOUR appreciation for being apart of the Kanyon Kalling, you must kiss Hades upon you leaving."

Storm

" Hades?"

Kanyon

" Yes, Hades, my whip."

The crowd laughed as Storm freaked out.

Storm

" I’m not kissing your whip!"

Kanyon [*In a very serious tone*]

" You will, or you will have to pay!"

With that Kanyon went over to the corner to get his whip. He then went down on one knee and held it up so that Storm could actually kiss it. Storm refused twice, and left the ring after the third request. Kanyon yelled;" You have just sealed your fate, and you have sealed it tonight!"

Scotty

" I think that’s a challenge!"

Rivera

" It is!! Wow! W.O.W, wow! We’ll be right back after this!" 64%

The crowd cheered both men here.

Lance Storm gained 3 points of overness from this segment. Kanyon Belmont gained 3 points of overness from this segment. Lance Storm's turn was completed, and he is now a face. Lance Storm gained 3 points of overness from this turn.

-ADVERTS-

21:57

4. Balls Mahoney[47] d. PT Brian Lee[59] in 16:37

Talk about a really hard worked match, here. Although it was a pure brawl and chair-spot fest, the two worked incredibly hard here, taking some stiff shots to the head and back with the chairs. The two tried to tell a story, but the match went about 10 minutes too long, which lost the crowd. They spent the first 10 minutes of the match with some good spots teasing chair shots which saw each man either tackling, kicking, or somehow countering the other before getting hit with the chair. Finally, at 12:01 the first chair shot was given, and it wasn’t even a legal wrestler. ‘Hard Stuff’ Brian Christopher Lawler, or ‘Hard Stuff’ BCL as their now calling him, came to the ring and began poking around. Mahoney went for chair shot that BCL blocked. Referee Jeff Jones let this one slide since Mahoney gained the upper hand. Mahoney then leveled BCL with a chair shot to the head, rocking him to the floor. He quickly turned around and smashed Lee with a head shot that had him staggering. Finally, Mahoney clobbered him with a second shot, causing the chair to sit on his neck as he fell back into a turnbuckle corner. Balls then leveled him with some jabs to the head followed by a roundhouse right. This was less the ‘Balls’ chants that he’s been used to in ECW. Mahoney then tried from them again, but Lee recovered from the jabs and grabbed Mahoney for the throat as if he were going for the Prime Time chokeslam. He went for it twice, and both times could not get Mahoney up. After the third time, Mahoney elbowed Lee in the back of the head twice stunning Lee, once again. Mahoney then bounced off the ropes with an overhand forearm smash knocking Lee reeling knotting himself into the ropes.

Rivera

" Brian Lee, stuck into the ropes! Now might just be a prime time to use that chair! No pun intended!"

Scotty

" Prime Time? No pun intended? Rivera you’re making me sick! How can you condone this! Balls Mahoney should be disqualified!"

Rivera

" Referee Jeff Jones let it go since both men have been trying to use chairs all match! Now, they are just as part of the match as each of the wrestlers are!"

Mahoney quickly hit Lee in the head with the chair causing him to collapse to the mat and juice. After an elbow drop, Mahon dragged Lee in front of the turnbuckle corner. Mahoney, then won the match with a top rope legdrop, at 17:58. Good match, too long.**1/4

Crowd: 45

Match: 83

Brian Lee lost 1 point of overness from this match. Balls Mahoney gained 2 points of overness from this match.

Commentary Aftermath

Rivera

" An incredible, incredible match! Hard fought by both men – the chair told the story of this match, Scotty."

Scotty

" Yea..uh, I have to go."

Rivera

" Oh you must be getting ready for your match with the Ultimate Warrior!"

Scotty

" What?"

Rivera

" Nevermind."

Scotty

" That’s right, everyone! I’m leaving now, but Scotty The Body will be back!! [*removes headset and exits ringside*]"

Rivera

" Well as Scotty..er…Raven prepares for his match with the Ultimate Warrior a little bit later on tonight, let me tell you about the other great matches still have! When we return…Mass Destruction…Abdullah The Butcher & Doink The Clown with Captain Lou Albano…and you can’t forget about Fuji and Steele, they will take on OMEGA – Jeff & Matt Hardy managed now by the great tag team specialist, Jimmy “Jam” Garvin. Now, some say, it’s too soon for the Hardy Brothers to face this team, but you can’t time who you face a tournament! My best of luck goes to OMEGA, especially since…from what I understand, they are still recovering from that ruthless attack at the hands of the Psycho Circus, two weeks ago on WOW Sunday Night! And the winner of that will face LOD in the finals. Also, we have just gotten word that Kanyon Belmont will face Lance Storm, tonight!! We’ll get an update on Commissioner Slaughter…and of course, it’s our double Main Event! Raven against The Ultimate Warrior as we stated, and The Great Muta makes his first WOW title defence against Mr. Sandman!"

-INTERMISSION +5min-

22:30

+++++++++++++++++==W=======W==++++++++++++++

The second half of the show opened up on TV, Rivera gone as well, thankfully, and with Michael Cole, returning on commentary, giving a recap of the show thus far, along with another rundown of the matches as Paul Heyman, now seated beside him just stared at Cole in apparent disgust.

Cole

"…all that and we’re only halfway through the card!"

Heyman

" We’re only halfway through and here I am sitting with someone who I thought was dead!"

Cole

" Oh stop it, Paul! Ladies and gentlemen we’ve been joined by Paul Heyman! Wow, feels like we’ve known each other for years!"

Heyman

"Um..no, it doesn’t, and no! No! No! Your presence has been GRACED by…ME! Paul Heyman!!"

Cole

" You’re a lot more tolerable when you’re managing. Team OMEGA is in the ring, and we’re ready to see who faces The Legion Of Doom, veterans of the sport, in the World Of Wrestling Tag Team Tournament final. A historic night, here in Las Vegas, Nevada at the Palladium Air Centre -- Let’s go to Gertner, for the final semi."

According to staff, they didn’t want Heyman’s entrance shown on television fearing he would get cheered, which he did. They felt it would be confusing to the viewer listening to him play a heel colour commentator after being cheered. Oh ok. And it so wouldn’t be confusing when he ends up in Sandman’s corner later on in the card? Right.

+++++++++++++++++=======O======++++++++++++++

Before Gertner said a word, in perfectly timed manner Ole Anderson came out of the curtain with crutches. He paused and looked to the audience as they began to start a ‘You Suck Dick’ chant. Gotta loveVegas. Anderson cut a really old school promo here, which I heard was to send a message to everyone in the back about cutting promos. He hobbled up to Gertner, then snatched the microphone from his hand,

Anderson

" Ya’ll out here cheering ‘cuz I got my legs all busted up by the Sandman? [*crowd cheers*] Lemme tell ya one thing Sandman, you may have injure me in that ‘ol CAGE GAMES match, but lemme ya one thing! Ain’t no injury worse then insult, and the WOW Heavyweight Champion, The Great Muta![*crowd booes*]"

Ole looked to the fans, angrily. Then he focused in right on Paul Heyman at ringside.

Anderson

" Paulie. I want you to see this, too! Take a look at what the WOW Heavyweight Champion did…during the CAGE GAMES, after Sandpunk had wrecklessly assaulted me!"

They showed the clip where Muta held the Title up to Sandman’s face as Ole and Dory Funk Jr., then spit in his face. Fans got hot here.

Anderson

" SandPUNK, that ain’t green mist! And tonight, The Great Muta…the greatest wrestler in the world…will give the final insult, to the Sandman…the greatest degenerate DRUNK, in the world...The SandPUNK!"

22:42

5. Mass Destruction (Evil Doink[56] & Abdullah The Butcher[59] w/ Captain Lou Albano[78], Mr. Fuji[62], & George “The Animal” Steele[80] d. Team OMEGA (Jeff[41] & Matt Hardy[42]) w/ Jimmy Jam Garvin[58] in 8:01

Jimmy Garvin is said to be pushing the idea of billing the Hardy’s as the next freebirds. While, I’m not sure how Matt & Jeff Hardy would look in Freebird attire, they’ve been close to it many times with some of their WWF Jobber outfit, as well as when in their own promotion, OMEGA under their Willow and Hollow gimmick where they were nearly dressed up as feathered chickens. The Hardys, are however big Freebird fans and may be able, and WANT to pull it off. Plus, they’ve got that new age high flying style down pat. Hardys got absolutely destroyed here. They did this pure WWF jobber style as the Hardys were already in the ring after the break. The entire Psycho Circus came to the ring and got quite the reaction; almost face. Cole did a good job of turning absolutely serious here, selling the attack and acting as a victim. Heyman had much to do with that as he kept making fun of Cole for “not being able to beat up a clown” and, my favourite one – “allowing a clown to urinate on him”.

Cole

" First of all he didn’t ‘urinate on me…he sprayed his stupid trick spray in my face.’"

Heyman

" Right. Ok. And what was that trick spray?"

Cole

" Well, ugh…Mr. Funji said said it was, ugh…he said it was urine.."

Heyman [*slaps Cole behind the head*]

" Exactly, you idiot! You got urinated on! With COW URINE! And what’s even worse, is that you give him the weakest shove! [*imitates a shove with a girl moaning sound*] You push like a girl! You curled up like a girl! What happened!?"

Cole

" What happened!? What happened!?? That man! That big 400 pound monster that’s climbing into the ring now! Abdullah The Butcher smashed that elbow on me! I don’t remember anything after that, other than waking up in the back to a doctor shining a light in my eye."

Heyman

" Hahahaha!! Ha! Ha! Hahahaha!!!"

Cole

" It’s not funny. Not at all – And these…well, psychos could be our inaugural Tag Team Champions!"

Heyman

" Well you look at the tournament, and it hasn’t been a breeze! We’ve got some strong teams here – Bad Breed, Ian & Axl Rotten, BCL Brian Christopher & PT Brian Lee, Chris Candido & Jeff Farmer, The Belmonts, and, even I hate to say it…but you got the Funk Brothers here. They’re always a threat! The competition for whoever the winners are will be tough!"

The Animal was on the outside with a painted metal chair in hand. The green chair had, painted on the seat – “MINE”. Hardys did a good job of selling, here. Well, it’s what they’re used to. At 5:33, Hardy’s got to showcase some stuff when Matt slide in between Abdullah’s legs. Abdullah tagged out to Doink, Matt hot tagged to Jeff who lit up the ring. Hardy stunned Doink with two beautifully timed dropkicks, two overhead tosses, followed by a top rope bodypress for a near fall. Jeff tagged into Matt, then threw Doink into a turnbuckle. Jeff went on all fours allowing Matt to run, springboard off of Jeff’s back with an elbow drop onto Doink. Jeff realigned himself with Doink, still on all fours. Matt then jumped onto and off of Jeff’s back again, this time with a legdrop onto Doink, for a near fall. Crowd was enjoying this as Matt tagged back into Jeff. Jeff nailed Doink with a Swanton dive before another near fall. Abdullah came in and quickly karate chopped Jeff Hardy, sending him straight down. Matt came in and jumped on Abdullah’s back like a monkey. Abdullah squashed him like a pancake into the turnbuckle. Abdullah remained there, and Cole said that he was using strategy, suffocating Hardy. Abdullah then turned around, took a fork from his tights and started raking the head of Matt. Here, Doink began to recover and attacked the fallen Jeff. After a suplex, followed by a superplex – Doink landed on Jeff with the whoopee cushion for the finish at 8:01.

Abdullah continued to work on Matt Hardy who looked to be busted open at this time, and fell face first to the mat as soon as Abdullah let him out. Abdullah held up a bloodied Matt Hardy as they were announced as the winners. Albano joined the fray and started pointing to Steele with the chair. Steele kept yelling “YOU! YOU!” to the fans with Fuji by his side, laughing of course, and waiving the chair. With all three men in the ring, Steele finally noticed the bloodied Matt Hardy, and stomped up the ring steps, to the inside of the ring with the chair. Abdullah & Doink held up Matt for Steele to hit with the chair. At this point, Jimmy “Jam” Garvin ran into the ring and jumped in front of Matt in protection. Mind you, Jeff was now in front of Matt, still knocked out so he wasn’t of much help. Animal Steele went for the chair shot, but then stopped with he noticed Garvin in front of Matt. Steele looked confused, teasing uncertainty. But that quickly turned into some sort of weird grin with his tongue hanging out.

Heyman

" This is exactly what Steele wants! This is what these men are about! Just pure…as the name implies Mass Destruction!! "

Steele, once again backed up loading up for his shot on Jimmy Jam. Jeff Hardy saw what was going on, and suddenly got up in front of Garvin protecting him from the shot, taking a stiff one to the side of the head. I had no idea that Steele could deliver a shot like that. It shocked the fans, as well. But, of course, you do have to remember it took him about 10 seconds to get into some sort of position and wind up that shot, when Abdullah can throw a chair shot normally, at the same age. It was like watching Phil Rizutto swing a baseball bat, today.

Cole

" OH MY! Jeff..protecting his manager from the brutal shot from The Animal! They’re all animals!"

Referees hit the ring trying to get Psycho Circus out, and they did so successfully as the Circus’ music hit the PA system. Both Jeff and Matt were carried out on stretchers with help from their manager Jimmy “Jam” Garvin.***

Overall: 67

Match: 84

George the Animal Steele debuted his new gimmick, it got a positive response.

Commentary Aftermath

Cole: " I do not believe what we just saw, Heyman! I don’t think we’re going to see Team OMEGA for a long time, here in WOW."

Heyman: " You’re right about that, Cole. They’re going to need some serious recovery time! But you know what this means! Paul Ellering’s Legion Of Doom, now with Power Warrior (Kensuki Sasaki), will take on Captain Lou’s & Mr. Fuji’s Mass Destruction, with that old and crazy lunatic – George The Animal Steele out the outside, for the WOW Tag Team Championship! I don’t think Mass Destruction can be beat!"

-ADVERTS-

22:57

6. Lance Storm[42] DRAW Kayon Belmont[42] w/ Raven and Co.in 6:02

If only they had let them go. Kanyon was accompanied by the rest of Clan Belmont – Raven[77], Alucard (Gangrel/Vampire Warrior)[31] carrying an urn, and Adam Simon Clark Belmont[60], as they continuing to refer him as. Got a nice pop due to Raven and Adam Simon, who most remember as Adam Bomb in the WWF. They all carried their respective whips to the ring with them. They started off really fast paced here ending with Storm catching Kanyon with a drop toe hold as he came off of the ropes, causing him to go through the second rope, to the outside. Storm went to the top with double axehandle from the top to the outside. Kanyon was still wearing his cape. After they got in the ring, at about 4:02, Storm missed a dropkick as Kanyon held onto the ropes. After a few chops to the chest, by Kanyon, the house lights started to flicker. This went on for about 30 seconds, as the two wrestlers tried to continue. Then the lights went completely out. Line of the night was Heyman yelling, ‘ Cole, I’m taken!’ in the darkness. Cole almost reacted as if Heyman was serious.

The fans started to chant ‘Warrior’, thinking that Raven’s opponent later on, The Warrior, would appear. The lights came back on, and, instead, on the isleway was Mr. Sandman, on the canvas getting stopped on by 6 ninjas. So much for the match. Referees and officials, including Ronnie Garvin and Terry Taylor, came pouring out to thwart the 6 Ninjas. One of the Ninja’s was using a crutch, and was pounding away at Sandman’s left ankle. Sandman was taken out on a stretcher and the announcers teased as if to whether Sandman would be able to compete later tonight for the WOW Championship Belt. **

Overall: 63

Crowd: 43

Commentary Aftermath

Cole: " Those Ninjas!! They mutilated Mr. Sandman, who challenges The Great Muta, for the WOW Heavyweight Belt in tonight’s Main Event! Will he be able to compete?!"

Heyman: " That Great Muta, and his strategy! I’m sure that came from him, and it may just pay off!"

Cole: " Great Muta…Ole Anderson…The Funks…Blanchard…I bet the entire NWAA was in on this! The crutch! Ole Anderson was using a crutch, and we all know that Anderson blames Mr. Sandman for his injuries!"

Heyman: " I hope he’s ok."

Cole: " And….wait a second…here comes Kurt Angle, with his friends, Russ & Charlie"

They got a mixed reaction…mostly heel for Angle’s seemingly new ‘I’m a star’ attitude gimmick. Alfred Hayes walked down to the ring, including giving fives to fans which I thought was funny and was given the mic by Gertner.

Hayes

" So you’ve stated during the last few weeks that you want to speak one on one with the Owner of WOW, Ricky Steamboat!"

Angle

" Yea…and you’re late! [*crowd laughs*] Now this is why I Ricky Steamboat to come out here! You see, I’ve been calling him, leaving messages…asking that my contract be modified…but you know what…To the heck with that! I got a new proposal for Mr. High & Mighty! Steamboat…you wanna ignore me? Well ignore, this – I’m an Olympic Gold Medalist. Do you know what that means? That means I’m the best in the world! And Steamboat, you want to ignore me!? You want to ignore my friends, Charlie & Russ?! Well I think, Mr. Hayes, it’s time for me to move forward! I am making my challenge for my opponent at the new WOW Big Event!"

Hayes

" And the next big event is going to be Feb 22nd, the location is going to be announced right here, next week on WOW SUNDAY NIGHT!"

Angle

" I challenge Ricky Steamboat!"

Hayes

"What!? You…"

Angle marched out of the ring followed by Russ and Chalrie as Cole and Heyman teased Ricky Steamboat coming out of retirement on Feb 22nd, to face Kurt Angle. This looks to be the beginning of pushing an eventual New York show. I expect this to be a result of the new travel budget that will be added at the beginning of the next fiscal year, less than a month away.

Kurt Angle debuted his new gimmick, it got a positive response. Kurt Angle gained 1 point of overness from this segment.

-ADVERTS-

During the adverts Angle actually turned around with Russ & Hoss, and returned to the ring to pose for pictures with the other two ‘Olympians’. Official Terry Taylor came out, grabbed the mic, and tried to talk Kurt Angle out of challenging Ricky Steamboat. He insisted that Steamboat was retired and would not return to the ring. Angle said that he wanted to hear it straight from Steamboat’s lips in front of him. He then told Taylor to give Steamboat a message – He then clinched Taylor and gave him a belly to belly. Angle picked him up again for a short arm clothesline. He then clinched on the STF onto Taylor until Slaughter ran out, breaking it up. 69%

7. Raven d. Hellwig The Dark Warrior[90] in 3:02

Coming out of the break, they mentioned ‘an altercation’ between Kurt Angle & official Terry Taylor during the adverts. Cole said that Angle sent a message to Ricky Steamboat that he is serious about the challenge.

Out came the Belmont Clan lead by Raven & Alucard (Vampire Warrior/Gangrel), Kanyon Belmont (Chris Kanyon) & Adam Simon Belmont (Bryan Clark/Adam Bomb), whips in hand. All four men held out their hands ala Raven to a nice reaction. Easily the faces here, thanks to the popularity of both Raven & familiar face of Adam Bomb. The Warrior’s music hit, but instead of the usual maniacal running Warrior, out came The Warrior dressed in his usual gear, however -- all black, instead of multicoloured. His music actually played for about 2 minutes, teasing another no-show. This might have also been done to agitate the fans and further heel Warrior. His paint was black and white, & his boots, tights, and armbands were also black. His tassels on the sides of his arms were a mix of black and white. His cape (He looks like he belongs with the Belmonts), instead of the usual multicoloured picture of the Warrior, was now a black and white picture of his face. He was also wearing a mask, which had a special hole in the back for his hair. I guess the picture of his face is just incase we forget what he looks like underneath the mask. He also had a hole near his mouth so that he could speak. Lucky us. Warrior had a mic in his hand and stood on the isleway to a lukewarm response. There were still some noticeable ‘Warrior’ chants.

Warrior: " EVERYBODY WANNA KNOW WHERE THE WARRIOR’S BEEN, AHHHH…EVERYBODY’S WANNA KNOW WHAT THE WARRIOR HAS BEEN UP TO…AHHH!! WELL THE WARRIOR WENT TO A PLACE FAR FAR AWAY AND WILL NEVER RETURN!! [*Mix of cheers and booes*] WHAT YOU SEE BEFORE YOU…IS WHAT…HAS BEEN….KEPT DEEP INSIDE THE WARRIAHH FOR A VERY VERY LONG TIME!! I AM HELLWIG!!! THE DARK WARRIOR!!! [*Mix of cheers, mostly booes*] AND RAVEN, THE REASON WHY I LEFT YOU ALONE….AHHHH….IN THE WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH IS BECAUSE YOU ARE JUST LIKE ALL OF THESE MERE MORTALS OUT HERE!! YOU ARE WEAK!! AND…I…WILL…CRUSH…YOU!!!!!!!!! ARRRRGGGHHHHH!!"

And with that charged Hellwig to the ring at Raven, and a slugfest ensued. Crowd was into this right away, and were 80/20 Raven. The bell rang – it should be noted that Tito Santana refereed this match, and got a great pop coming out. At 1:05, Raven gave some pummel punches on top of Warrior. Raven got up and gave his taunt to the crowd to a nice pop. Raven went to the top and missed a knee drop. Warrior started doing his superman comeback on the ropes which garnered some booes, he ran and nailed Raven with a running shoulder block. He then ran against the ropes, but Adam Simon pulled down the top rope causing Warrior to 360 out of the ring, to the mat. Raven distracted Tito Santana whilst Alucard, Kanyon, & Adam Simon began to whip Hellwig with their whips. Crowd was really enjoying this, as Raven argued with Santana. It’s interesting in that they have a face team who acts heel. Warrior’s gradual turn has had a lot to do with that as well. The three were relentless outside the ring.

Cole: " Like a pack of wild dogs! They are attacking Warrior with those whips! We…know the name of Kanyon’s whips, Hades, and I’ve learned earlier today that Adam’s whip is named Proteus! This is a mugging!"

Heyman: " It’s a VUGGING! It’s a BELMONT VUGGING!"

Cole: " Paul! Watch your language! I know this is HBO, but…."

Heyman: " No, you idiot! It’s a Vvvvv-UGGING! It’s a mugging, except with vampires!! "

Finally after the 3 dispersed, Raven and Santana stopped arguing. Santana looked to the outside began counting out Warrior. Warrior started to struggle up right away, completely no-selling the whips attack. He never made it up to the ropes, though and Santana counted him out. After Raven was announced as the winner he grabbed the mic and said; “ Ladies and gentleman! The Warrior is dead! Quote the Raven…nevermore!

All four men gave the Raven sign to a nice reaction and left the ring. Hellwig tried to crawl to them. Referees tried to help Hellwig but he refused. Finally after a couple of minutes, Hellwig screamed “Raven!!”, and ran to the back. DUD

Overall: 62

Crowd: 73

Match: 38

Ultimate Warrior debuted his new gimmick, it got a positive response. Ultimate Warrior lost 2 points of overness from this match. Raven gained 3 points of overness from this match. Ultimate Warrior basically no-sold everything, which ruined the match.

Commentary Aftermath

Heyman: " These sick people actually enjoyed this!! "

Cole: " Warrior had it coming! He left Raven stranded against his comrades now, The Belmonts in the first round of the WOW Tag Team tournament! "

Heyman: " The Warrior is dead! Here comes the Dark Warrior! I have a feeling we haven’t heard the last of this, cunt."

Cole: " What?"

Heyman: " Cole."

dwarrior.jpg

Hellwig

The Dark Warrior

-ADVERTS-

23:09

++++++++++++++++

After the break, as Mass Destruction were in the ring Alfred Hayes was in the back with Paul Ellering, and The Legion Of Doom. Power Warrior (Kensuki Sasaki) was also there. It looks like they’ve been silently preparing for this STABLE WARS idea, that’s to hit in mid January. There’s talk that they’re going to bring another member into the Legion Of Doom, to try to re-create the 80s Ellering led L.O.D They also want to add someone to the Psycho Circus, as a singles, since Steele will hardly be used in the ring. I don’t see anyone on the current roster fitting into that role…even of those that haven’t been used yet, like New Jack or James Vandeburg. Vandeburg, from what I’m told is soon going to be brought in as a relative of the Belmonts to serve as their mouth piece. Hayes asked if they were ready for Evil Doink & Abdullah The Butcher.

Hayes: " Well let’s talk about your match, coming up in just a few moments. It’s the finals for the World Of Wrestling Heavyweight Championship Belt! Hawk..Animal you are veterans in the sport. So is Abdullah The Butcher. And, though he’s dressed like a clown, Evil Doink doesn’t clown around in the ring. Can you beat Mass Destruction?"

Hawk: " WELLLL!!!! Asking that question is kinda like asking me if the sky’s blue! You see we came to Ricky Steamboat’s World Of Wrestling because we heard all the best tag teams were gonna be here! And even tho’ none of the teams that I thought would be here are here – the teams that are the best that I’ve ever seen!"

Animal: " That’s right Hawk…and like we’ve done in all the other places that we’ve been, we’re gonna do the same thing right here, tonight! We ain’t afraid of you Adbullah or Doink. "

Ellering: " Tonight marks the beginning….tonight marks the beginning of a new era…a new era of DOOOOMMM!!!"

++++++++++++++++

8. The Legion Of Doom d. Mass Destruction to win the World Of Wrestling Tag Team Titles in 25:04 of a tournament final match

Animal & Hawk pushed to have Tatanka vs. Dreamer pulled to give them more time – and what a great decision that was after this was over. Too bad Fuji came in so later this year. He needs another reign as worst manager of the year. Match started off with Doink and Animal. A lot of Animal overpowering Doink spots, including Doink trying to suplex Animal to no avail, and an eventual reverse. Animal tagged out to Hawk and Hawk blasted Doink with two clotheslines. After a two power press slams Hawk gave the signal for the Doomsday Device. However, right when he gave the thumbs down signal, Doink surprised Hawk with a low blow. I think that’s the first low blow in WOW. And, as it should, got the proper surprise reaction. Evil Doink followed up with a kneelift and a 1 count. After two turnbuckle mashes, Doink locked an armbar on Hawk for about a minute. Ellering was on the outside hitting the apron trying to get the fans to clap along. During this spot Cole mention that this is one of maybe two Championship matches, hinting that Mr. Sandman may not be able to make the match due to his injuries suffered at the hands of The 6 Ninjas. Doink began to knee Hawk’s elbow. He dragged Hawk over to his corner and tagged Abdullah who got a face reaction. Abdullah elbowed Hawk into a pin, and a 2 count. He took his time getting up, went against the ropes, and nailed Hawk with a falling headbutt. Another near fall. Abdullah went to the ropes for his elbow drop but missed. Hawk remained on the mat with Abdullah as referee Jeff Jones began a double count. But why would Jones be counting out both down if this is a championship match? There has to be a winner, right? Oh, I forget. This is wrestling. Sometimes you have to throw logic out of the window.

Abdullah went for it again and missed horribly the second time around. Hawk hot tagged to Animal who came in jumping on Abdullah and landing the punches to the head. Animal pointed to the turnbuckle. The acrobat that he is, Animal went to the second turnbuckle with an elbow to Abdullah for a 2 count. Animal then started pacing around the ring, and gesturing as if he were going to body slam Abdullah. As soon as he tried, Abdullah gave him a karate chop to the throat area, stunning him instantly. Abdullah then followed up with a headbutt, and another karate thrust, backing Animal into his corner. Abdullah laced Animal’s chest with some chops, inciting some ‘Wooo!’ chants. He tagged out to Evil Doink, and they both stomped Animal down in the corner. Doink kept choking Animal with his boot through a few ref 5 counts. After a snap mare, Doink threw Animal into the ropes and surprised him with a knee to the stomach. He then cradled Animal for a very near fall which popped the crowd. Doink couldn’t believe he didn’t get the win. When he looked up Animal was charging him with a running shoulder block that sent him reeling into the turnbuckle. Animal quickly tagged out to Hawk, who came in charging Doink with a roundhouse. Hawk picked up Doink and held him up for a power slam. He back up into the corner to get a running start, and nailed Doink with the running powerslam landing in the middle of the ring. He hooked Doink’s leg, but Jones did not make the count. Abdullah came waddling in and delivered a legdrop to the back of the head of Hawk. They showed the replay where Abdullah tagged the back of Doink when Hawk backed up. At this point, near the iselway, many of the WOW Tag Teams had come out to watch this match. Bob Orton was out with Cowboy Buddy Duncum Jr. and a black cowboy that went unnamed. Candido & Farmer, Russ & Charlie, and once again shown on TV, Jim Neidhart. They cut to an advert break and repeated a million times that they had not heard on the conditions of Mr. Sandman.

Probably would’ve been the best match of the show if it weren’t for the championship match between Muta and Sandman. At 15:02, Abdullah caught Hawk in a bear hug, catching him going for a flying axehandle from the top. They teased submission for a short while. Doink jumped in the ring and charged an unsuspecting Animal on the outside corner with a forearm, knocking him to the apron. Mr. Fuji & Captain Lou began yelling some instructions to George Steele on the outside. Steele threw his ‘MINE’ chair, into the ring, and began pulling up the outside mat, uncovering the concrete. Albano yelled gibberish as Fuji grinned and laughed & as Doink continued to fully uncover the floor. On the inside Abdullah hit Hawk in the stomach with the edge of the chair followed by a loud shot over the head. Jones threw up his hands, as this was a deciding match, so he couldn’t call for a DQ. Abdullah stalled and played to the crowd before going to pin Hawk. Hawk moved his shoulder, just in time. Abdullah dumped Hawk to the outside. Albano got up in Jones’ face, as Doink went over to Hawk. He tried for a DDT on the concrete, but Hawk blocked it, causing Evil Doink to fall flat on the concrete. Hawk was down to one knee on the outside, trying to regroup. Abdullah quickly waddled to the outside attacked Hawk from behind. On the outside the ring, Abdullah pulled his fork out and raked it across the head of Hawk. Jones kept screaming for them to bring it in the ring. Abdullah piledrove Hawk on the concrete floor causing everyone to think it was over. There was a very noticeable pop from some ringside fans with their faces painted like Doink. Cole said that Hawk was bleeding from the Piledriver. Hawk sold it big time. Doink ran around the ring and gave a flying knee to Hawk, who was beginning to get up. Abdullah rolled Hawk back into the ring, and made the ‘title around waist’ gesture which got a mix of cheers and booes…mostly booes, though. Abdullah tagged Doink, and Doink came off the top with a well placed missile dropkick as Abdullah held him.

-ADVERTS-

Doink spent the next few minutes taunting Animal on the outside by kicking Hawk around with one foot, and kicking him just when he starts to get closer to his corner. Hawk began a comeback at 21:02 when he blocked Doink’s Russian leg sweep. Heyman said that Doink could have a concussion since that was his second time falling on his head, during the match. Hawk started to crawl to his corner, but Doink got up, ran and landed a leaping elbow drop on Hawk. Doink gave the signal for the whoopee cushion, and nailed Hawk with the top turnbuckle finisher. This was a very near fall, which popped the crowd again. Doink went to the top rope, this time with a flying elbow. He didn’t get too high, and he didn’t land it, either. This then led to Hawk’s hot tag to Animal, as he laid Doink out with 2 overhead tosses, 2 hip tosses, 2 powerpresses, and one power press into a gorilla slam to the outside of the ring on the exposed concrete. After he launched Doink, Hawk clutched his shoulder, selling his injury from earlier on in the match. Hawk quickly charged Abdullah, though, on the outside with a dropkick, sending him tumbling off the apron down to the mat. Animal picked up the MINE chair and tossed it right at Doink’s head on the outside. Hawk tossed Doink back in the ring. Animal gave the signal for the ‘Doomsday Device’, and tagged out to Hawk. Animal lifted Doink, and Hawk teasted not being able to use his arm whilst perched up on the top rope. After some hesitation, Hawk nailed the move, as Animal made the cover for the 3 count. The Legion Of Doom are the WOW Tag Team Champions.***1/4

Overall: 75

Crowd: 68

The WOW Tag titles have gained in image.

Commentary Aftermath

Cole: " The Legion Of Doom are the WOW Tag Team Champions!"

Heyman: " They are the best that I’ve seen them during their entire career, Cole!"

Cole: " Well, looks like the Psycho Circus comes up short, but no one is safe from that duo! "

Heyman: " That’s right – Legion Of Doom had better not get too comfortable!"

Cole: " Ladies and gentleman, when we come back, it’s the World Of Wrestling Heavyweight Title Belt! On the line! The Great Muta defends against, the Sandman…we think?"

Heyman: " I’m going to find out right now. [*removes headset, and leaves*]"

23:37

-ADVERTS-

They came out of the break with Cole continuing to speculate. Mr. Sandman’s music hit, but he did not come out. After 3 minutes of waiting, Commissioner Slaughter came to the ring – no music – with Terry Taylor and said to begin the ring entrance with Great Muta…the challenger this time. Great Muta came out to the dim lights with his full dragon gear garb on. He went with the colour of red and purple, which was a little extra erotic. They replayed the attack by the 6 Ninjas, earlier on. Cole introduced Donald West who at the local hospital looking for Mr. Sandman. West is a behemoth of a man. There’s nothing like following behind a fat ass as he runs up and down hospital walls trying to talk and catch his breath at the same time. Finally he caught up with Dr. Noel Aaron.

West

" [*Noticeably out of breath*] Dr. Noel Aaron…Donald west here – World Of Wrestling…this is the Doctor that treated Sandman…where is he!?"

Aaron

" Hello Donald. The Sandman sustained injuries tonight that in no possibly way would properly, or would have properly healed by anytime tonight. Mr. Sandman must take at least 24 hours to rest his bruised and nearly fractured clintantous. It’s a very delicate area near the ankle. He must not wrestle tonight! But…as soon as I said that, he said, ‘I ain’t got 24 hours. I’m outta here.’ And left."

West

" There you have it! Mr. Sandman is going to compete tonight! Back to you, guys!"

23:46

8. The Great Muta[77] d. The Sandman[72] in 12:37 to retain the WOW Heavyweight Championship Belt

Mr. Sandman emerged from the curtain, cigarette in his mouth, Singapore carne in hand. His music trailed behind him getting him a really good face reaction. Heyman came darting out from the back in front of him trying to stop him from going to the ring against Doctor’s orders. Heyman got booed a little. Muta had a shocked look on his face and slid underneath the ring charging Sandman. Sandman was tackled, but was whacking Muta in the back with the Singapore cane repeatedly. Muta is great in that he worked this as a brawl from the beginning, whereas if he were in the ring with someone like Angle, it would be armbars and leglocks. Muta is one of the few workers in the world who can do it on such a high level in both styles. The two rolled around the outskirts ring, as Garvin came out there trying to get them into the ring. Muta eventually got the upper hand with the surprise of the green mistinto the face of Mr. Sandman. He followed that up with a stiff looking kick to the side of the face. Muta then grabbed the Singapore cane and snapped it into two over his knee. He used them as two stick weapons and began beating the Sandman over the back with them. They made some noise which did well for the live reaction. Muta then ran behind Sandman after hitting once in the stomach with the stick and got up with a face plant bulldog from behind. Muta, then rolled into the ring, grabbed his WOW Belt and raised it up to the crowd to booes. Sandman must’ve had a capsule as they sold that he was now bleeding from his mouth. It didn’t look like he took any bad bumps. Moments later, Muta went to the top rope and planted Sandman with a flying bodypress to the outside. Crowd was really into this. Muta backed up and gave him his special Muta elbow, which Sandman sold big time. Cole tried to sell the idea that the elbow was more lethal outside the ring, than it were inside. Muta messed around with fans for a short while before turning his attention back to Sandman. He went for a Piledriver, but Sandman blocked twice and reversed it into an overhead toss. Sandman began to battle back here with a couple of elbow drops to the back of the head of Muta as he tried to get up. Sandman pulled Muta up and dropped him, neck first, on the guardrail. When Sandman grabbed Muta by the hair and threw him into the ring, Michael Cole said that Sandman had a fistful of blood coming from his mouth. 6 minutes into the match, is when the bell finally rang since they both had not been in the ring. Sandman gave Muta a sidewalk slam followed by a top rope legdrop for a very near fall. Sandman, then lit a cigarette . He then picked up Muta and held him in the Piledriver position for a while, whilst smoking. He posed to each side of the ring popping each section of fans before nailing the Piledriver on Muta. Another near fall. Sandman celebrated here, and even some fans thought he won. Garvin pulled down Sandman’s hand and the fans booed Garvin out of the house. Sandman argued for a moment more before landing a legdrop on the fallen Muta. He then quickly went to the top rope, for what looked to be a top rope elbow or legdrop…but his injured ankle gave out on him, and he crotched himself on the ropes. After a couple of minutes, Sandman started to get up, but so did Muta. As soon as Sandman was back on two feet and walking towards Muta, Muta shot forward with a dropkick to the injured ankle, sweeping Sandman off of his feet. Muta made his crazy face, enticing the crowd. Muta continued to stop on Sandman’s ankle, and locked him in the figured four leg lock. Sandman sold this big time, and tried to inch over to the ropes. However, after a couple of minutes of inching closer to the ropes, and teasing reverse spots, Muta pulled Sandman, with his legs, back out towards the centre of the ring. Sandman gave up at about another minute of the hold.

After Muta was announced as the winner he teased, going for a moonsault, but Heyman, and soon thereafter Tommy Dreamer, got in front of Sandman and stopped those efforts. Ole Anderson and the rest of the NWAA came out and lifted Great Muta up on their shoulders up the isle way with the belt on his shoulder. ***1/2

Overall: 79

Crowd: 76

The Great Muta debuted his new gimmick, it got a positive response. The WOW Heavyweight title has gained in image.

Commentary Aftermath

Cole: " Wow! W.O.W wow!! What an amazing show that was tonight, I hoped you enjoyed it!! The Great Muta, victorious over the Sandman, tonight…but one has to ask, would this match had been different if Mr. Sandman was at 100%? Which he clearly wasn’t – thanks to The 6 Ninjas, who I think has something to do with Ole Anderson, Great Muta and the rest of the NWAA crew. Great Muta is still the WOW Heavyweight Champion – We saw The Legion Of Doom defeat Mass Destruction, tonight! We thought it couldn’t be done…but Hawk and Animal fought a hard one!! Join us NEXT week, on WOW Sunday Night! The beginning of STABLE WARS!!! Plus, a big announcing regarding February for WOW! Jim Neidhart presents The Foundation! And of course, it’s the aftermath of the WOW Holiday Show! Happy Holidays everybody!!"

muta4.jpg

The Great Muta

World Of Wrestling Heavyweight Champion

HBO SPORTS Presents: WOW Sunday Night! Preview

The first show of 1998!!! Sunday Night, 4th Jan!!

WOW HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION THE GREAT MUTA VS. TOMMY DREAMER (non-title match)

WOW TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS THE LEGION OF DOOM VS. MASS DESTRUCTION (title match, no dq)

A REPORT ON THE SANDMAN'S CONDITION!

A WORD WITH JIMMY JAM GARVIN ON TEAM OMEGA: JEFF & MATT HARDY

AND...

A BIG ANNOUNCEMENT REGARDING WOW COMING TO YOUR TOWN!!!!!!

HBO OFFICES – LOS ANGELES

8:30 AM

2ND JAN 1998

The first meeting of the new year between HBO Management and World Of Wrestling looked to be a positive one filled with a strong outlook for the coming year.

HBO SPORTS

Executive Director – Jay Cohen

Regional Manager – Chris Issak

Special Events Director – Larry Plane

Special Events Coordinator – Danny Polumbo

WORLD OF WRESTLING

Executive Director – Bob Remus / Sgt. Slaughter

Head Booking Team/Creative – Ole Anderson

Agent – Terry Taylor

Agent – Jimmy Garvin

Agent – Ronnie Garvin

Agent – Tito Santana

Joining via conference call

Antonio Inoki

Michael Cole

Edward Monroe

Business Plan Meeting Recap

2nd Jan 98

HBO SPORTS MANAGEMENT

• One year contract granted to Sgt. Slaugter
  • Popularity is increasing
  • Quarter Goals: To increase business by at least 3%
  • To increase merchandise sales by 5%
  • To cut worker costs by 5%
  • Travel budget granted for

1. One pay show/on demand show at $9.95 every other month (first 22nd March) Will be tied in withPay Per View/On Demand /Direct TV boxing promotions to increase overall revenue

2. One TV taper per month, anywhere in the continental United States.

Executive Director Sgt. Slaughter
  • First 2 months were good.
  • Ricky Steamboat has resigned.
  • Announcer Edward Monroe has been hired for TV
  • Tenton “Spike” Ryclef has been signed

hbosports.jpg

wow.jpg

Broadcast Team: Edward Monroe & Lanny Poffo

Referees: Clyde Rose, Jack Doan, Jeff Jones, Jim Thomas, Mike Chioda, Teddy Long

Attendance: 1,031 (440 Paid)

The first Sunday Night of 1998 on 5th Jan opened up with a modified opening video package, with more of a showcase of top names in the company such as World Champion, Great Muta, Tag Champions Legion Of Doom, Jimmy Snuka, Ken Shamrock (UFC footage of he vs. Inoki at the first WOW event), Sgt. Slaughter, and the managers (Fuji, Albano, Ellering, Heyman, & Rude.), as well as a mix of clips from the more recent events. WOW recently had a meeting with HBO SPORTS, and apparently the parent company (HBO) wants WOW to put some sort of focus on the ‘name’ wrestlers, due help garner new viewers. This week’s program drew another 2.08 rating with 1,031 inside of the Palladium Centre – with 440 of those being paid. Less walkup than some shows, but paid was about double from two months ago. Show began with ring announcer Joel Gertner running down the TV card which was slightly different than what was advertised. After running down the wrestling card, he introduced the TV commentators, Lanny Poffo who came down in a wheelchair and new play by play announcer, Edward Monroe – former announcer of the Bristol Burrows English Football team. No mention of Ricky Steamboat signing with the WWF – they have however removed Steamboat’s name from all billing.

**Wrestling vs. Fighting**

After the announcements, Edward Monroe and Poffo ran down the card and recapped the events of the WOW “HO-HO-HOLIDAY SHOW” before Terry Funk’s music hit the P.A. system. Monroe speaks very slowly, but he’s got 1000 times the charisma of the other English announcer, Alfred Hayes. I find it interesting that Terry Funk is perceived as the leader of the NWAA, yet Muta is the champion. Of course, it makes sense in the end, since Muta cannot speak a word of English for promo purposes, and Inoki is virtually an unknown, other than being ‘a legend’, that no one knows. The New Wrestling Alliance Of The Apocalypse debuted on screen, Mr. Curtis Hughes, whom lead the pack to the ring. Also, with the outright NWAA for the first time was Antonio Inoki carrying a flag with an outline of an amateur wrestler figure suplexing another. This was the NWAA logo. Hughes led, Funk, Tully Blanchard, Dory Funk Jr., Ole Anderson, Antonio Inoki & WOW Heavyweight Champion Great Muta. Hughes was the first one in the ring and shoved Gertner aside . Gertner’s face was priceless, here, as he got shoved, and dropped the mic. Hughes picked up the mic, and handed it to Funk. Mr. Hughes was identified by Monroe as “Hughes”, the NWAA bodyguard.

Funk

" So…here were are!!! WOW…World Of Wrestling….HBO!! And who is the best in the land?!? [*points to the flag that Inoki is waiving*] The New World Alliance….Of The Apocalypse…That’s who!!"

Funk put over everyone in the group, including calling Ole Anderson a “mastermind of the sport”, and Hughes, “The best bodyguard in Wrestling history”. Funk , then acknowledged Ken Shamrock’s challenge and said that ‘Fighters’ were no match for ‘Wrestlers’ like the Great Muta. WOW is obviously taking advantage of the Great Muta’s drawing power to get people in seats and tuning in, which is a fine move on Anderson’s and Slaughter’s part. Funk also added that Shamrock’s win over Inoki a couple of months ago was a fluke, and that Inoki and ‘anyone else in the NWAA’ could rip Shamrock to shreds. He then started putting over wrestlers over fighting. That’s when Shamrock came out, and stood face to face with Inoki, then also had a staredown with the champion. Whilst Shamrock was in the ring, standing toe-to-toe with Muta, Funk continued on saying that the last person who tried to stand up to the NWAA wasn’t able to walk soon thereafter – speaking of Sandman, who’s been selling that ankle injury big-time. Crowd popped just for the Sandman’s name being mentioned. Shamrock began to get into a fighting stance, seemingly about to take on the entire NWAA, but then officials quickly hit the ring to prevent a brawl. They ushered Shamrock out of the ring. Here, Shamrock got another mic from a ring attendant. This actually was pretty funny to watch because for about 10 seconds, Shamrock looked confused and didn’t know where to find a mic. The ring attendant actually had to come to him to get him the stick…

Shamrock

" I’ve battled men bigger than you. I’ve battled men stronger than you. And, I’m ready to show that I am the best grappler in the world today! I’ve proved in Ultimate fighting, now I’m going to prove it here! Muta, I’m going to be watching you tonight, against Tommy Dreamer! I will make you submit…just like I did to him! [*points to Inoki*]"

Shamrock needs to work on his delivery, as he comes across a bit robotic, but his UFC footage, especially in his ring entrance montage, makes him look like a monster. Crowd wasn’t much into that delivery, but they did react to his last comment. It’s going to be a working process to get him over, but it’s easily possible, if they keep him away from talking. WOW could have a real good one if and when he gets in the ring with Muta. Monroe called Shamrock a former “Ultimate Fighting” champion. Inoki and Muta were fuming. 69%

++++++++++++++++++++

Right after this segment was a short video package showing Tank Abbott training in some Las Vegas gym. Some shooting fighting footage was shown of Abbott, which HBO paid to use, from what I understand. Abbott was pushed as making his debut next week on Sunday Night against Dory Funk Jr.

++++++++++++++++++++

Buh Buh Ray Dudley d. Spirit Of The Cherokee Horse, Tatanka

They showed Buh Buh Ray in his first match months ago, against Terry Funk in the first blood match. Before Tatanka came out, Buh Buh had the mic and did his stuttering gimmick. Tatanka’s music interrupted him and Tatanka charged the ring and attacked Dudley right away. Not too bad of a match, but the fans see Tatanka as a WWF reject, it seams, as they get really quiet whilst Tatanka was on offense, as usual. Finish saw Tatanka throw Buh Buh against the ropes for a fallaway slam, but Buh Buh countered by wiggling out of the hold. He held Tatanka’s head and nailed him with a Diamond/Kojima cutter at 7:06. Monroe called this move The Stuttering Drop.

Crowd: 57

Match: 73

-ADVERTS-

21:17

++++++++++++++++++++++

Coming out of the break they had Don West in the back with a report on Mr. Sandman’s condition. West, who seems to be the Sandman’s personal reporter, said that Sandman is expected to be back in two weeks. WOW Doctor, Noel Aaron said that Sandman should have taken his advice and not wrestled at the WOW HO-HO-HOLIDAY Show. Manager Paul Heyman emerged into the camera view, and said, “ Great Muta! The Sandman returns in TWO weeks! Can you understand that? TWO weeks? And if you’ve got the BALLS – if you’re an honourable champion – you will give the Sandman a rematch for that WOW Heavyweight Belt! And if you don’t? Then you’re just like the rest of those cowards that hide behind face paint!” A blatant knock on Warrior…or Hellwig The Warrior. I like how they’re having multiple people challenge Muta for the belt, making the belt the focal point of the promotion.

++++++++++++++++++++++

Kurt Angle w/ Russ & Charlie (Haas) d. The Rock N Roll Superstar w/ Honky Tonk Man

Superstar got a heel reaction coming out with Honky Tonk, and Angle got a lukewarm reaction. Angle looked better here, but Superstar kept getting up and jumping out of the ring and retreating to Honky after each move Angle got on him. It looked stupid because he was completely no-selling every move, but somehow Angle still managed to look better than he ever had. Finish saw Angle get Superstar to submit to a single leg-lock at 9:19, which they are calling The Angle Ankle lock. Angle’s got the ankle lock, whilst Shamrock has the S.T.F Match went a little long, and despite the live crowd’s apathy, Angle looked strong on TV.

Overall: 53

Crowd: 54

Match: 54

The Rock N Roll Superstar lost 1 point of overness from this match. Kurt Angle gained 3 points of overness from this match. The Rock N Roll Superstar didn't really sell very much, which hurt the match rating.

-ADVERTS-

21:31

+++++++++++++++++++++

Coming out of the break, Missy Hyatt interviewed Jimmy “Jam” Garvin who was in close much like his old Freebird gear. He said that the Hardy’s were going to be repackaged to feud with MASS DESTRUCTION on or around 22nd Feb. Well, he didn’t really say that, exactly. Hyatt asked if the Hardys would ever returned. Garvin said that the Hardy’s are going through extensive training in the ‘Freebird School Of Wrestling’, and will be back to dish out what MASS DESTRUCTION has coming to them.

+++++++++++++++++++++

Music Plays:

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Hello

Here I am!

Here we are,we are one

I've been waiting for this night to come

Get up!

Now it's time for me to take my place

The make-up runnin' down my face

We're exiled from the human race.

You're in the psyyyyyy….

You're in the psyyyyyy…

I say welcome to the show!!

The Legion Of Doom (Animal & Hawk) w/ Paul Ellering and Power Warrior d. MASS DESTRUCTION (Evil Doink & Abdullah The Butcher) w/ George “The Animal” Steele, Captain Lou Albano & Mr. Fuji by DQ, retaining the WOW Tag Team Belts

The Psycho Circus has the best entrance in the promotion. The crowd really reacts well to it. And again, The Psycho Circus who are blatant heels seem to get a lot of cheers. Lets not take anything away from the Legion Of Doom’s entrance which was vastly improved, with all members riding down to the ring on motorcycles. Wild match here. Started of traditionally with Doink doing most of the selling as The Champions tagged in and out. Ellering is said to be getting a lot of heat in the locker room because he is telling everyone that he soon will have the top face group in WOW. He believes this since he feels that the company will not put their stake into Heyman – essentially a competitor, though an ECW vs. WOW could probably benefit WOW greatly. Heyman is also said to be also quickly approaching the doghouse with Ole Anderson & Slaughter because he was very upset that he wasn’t invited to the recent WOW meeting with HBO Management, and has been very vocal in his opposition to the company thinking about bringing in Shane Douglas. Well, they hired him to consult and give his opinions on things, right? Crowd began to stir at 8:11 when Doink made the hot tag to Abdullah after being thrown around by Hawk for a good few minutes. Hawk charged Abdullah, but was quickly silenced with a quick chop to the throat, followed by an elbow drop for a near fall. Albano then hopped on the apron, while Fuji jumped on the other side. Referee Jack Doan ran over to Fuji to get him off the apron. Poffo had a good line here saying that Doan was discriminating because Fuji was Japanese. Monroe just ignored him.

Albano pulled a bag out of his pocket and gave it to Abdullah. Abdullah quickly emptied the bag full of thumbtacks in the centre of the ring. Out of nowhere you heard a loud thud as the TV camera missed Steele tossing his chair at Power Warrior’s head on the outside. They showed the reply 5 times though, to make up for the miss. Classic Fuji here, as he tossed his cane into the ring whilst arguing with Doan. Abdullah, who wasn’t paying attention to that, was busy choking Hawk out. Monroe was actually good here, asking why there were thumbtacks in the ring. Albano got in the ring and motioned for Abdullah to hold Hawk up for him to hit him with the cane. Animal was about to come in, but Evil Doink swept his feet from right underneath him from outside the ring, causing Animal to fall, face first, on the apron, and to the hard floor. Hawk was selling the choke big time, acting passed out. Poffo already predicted new Tag Team champions, which of course means it wasn’t going to happen. Albano went for a giant wind-up with the cane as Hawk was held in place by the Sudan madman, but Ellering jumped in the ring and gave Albano the worst looking forearm from behind. Abdullah tossed over Hawk, and started to motion towards Ellering. Ellering quickly ran out. Doink got in the ring and started stomping on the lifeless Hawk. Steele threw a few chairs in the ring, ala classic Steele. The referee turned around and saw the mess in the ring, and reacted like he just woke up. Doink placed 3 chairs in a row with thumbtacks on spread across the top of all three. He then threw Hawk into the turnbuckle. Abdullah followed that up with a running back avalanche into Hawk. Doink then looked to be setting up Hawk for a superplex across the thumb tack covered row of 3 chairs. Edward Monroe made a good call here, showing his natural like for pro-wrestling, which we’ve heard about, with a slow build smart build up:

edwarda.jpglannya.jpg

Monroe: "…and one certainly would have to wonder….what Doink is doing here….wait a minute….looks…It looks like he’s going to superplex Hawk onto those thumbtack covered chairs!!

…This…is….[*Doink Superplexes Hawk onto the Thumbtack covered chairs*] WOW!…my God! That was maddening! "

Poffo: " Both men are not moving!"

Doan immediately called for the bell awarding the match by DQ to LOD at 12:22. Animal and Power Warrior recoverd and chased off The Psycho Circus, coming to the aid of Animal. The announcers got over the idea that The Circus was happy that they injured someone…again.

Match: 82

Doink The Clown gained 1 point of overness from this match. Abdullah the Butcher gained 1 point of overness from this match. The WOW Tag titles have gained in image.

22:45

ADVERTS-

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Coming out of the break they showed the footage of Kurgan The Mighty’s (Mr. Rude himself, as they are also making reference to him by) offensive on Sgt. Slaughter Demolition from the WOW Ho-Ho-Holiday show. Right now, Kurgan, like Tatanka, but to a lesser extent still has the stench of recent WWF. But, with Rude behind the mic it’s said to be getting better week by week. Slaughter was selling the attack, as Monroe added that Slaughter was recovering at home and would be back next week on WOW Sunday Night – and with a big announcement. Poffo said that Slaughter was probably just scared, and was thinking of the way to get revenge on Rick Rude even though Rude and Kurgan did nothing wrong. Monroe simply answer by saying,

Now why would he do that?”

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

**The Anvil**

Fit Finlay d. Jim Neidhart by COR at 8:02

Anvil got a superstar pop coming out. But after that, the celebration ceased. Anvil blew up quickly opening up strong on Finlay. They went into an advert break midway into the match, during a 10-count tunbuckle spot with Anival on top of Finlay. Finlay countered after Anvil tried it again with an atomic drop. He then went for a clothesline, but Neidhart completely no selled and clotheslined Finaly hard. Pictured at this time from right by the curtain was Rick Rude with his 7 foot monster Kurgan. Kurgan wore a Tee that read “Mr. Rude” Neidhart went outside the ring to get a better look. When he noticed he was being counted out he freaked out and starting running to the ring. Unfortunately he made it in just a second to late, and lost by countout.

Overall: 60

Crowd: 61

Match: 60

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Monroe sent it to Don West who, for the first time wasn’t covering The Sandman. He was with Ken Shamrock, who was on his ring to get a closer look at The Great Muta, as he said he would, earlier on during the show. Shamrock said that he was confident he could beat The Great Muta, especially since he’s been training with one of the great wrestlers in the world. Shamrock then issued a tag team challenge for next week’s Sunday Night. He challenged Terry Funk & Inoki to a match between he and his trainer.

-ADVERTS-

23:01

The Great Muta w/ Antonio Inoki d. Tommy Dreamer w/ The Girls in 18:04

Shamrock joined Monroe and Poffo on commentary. Poffo kept asking for clues as to who Shamrock’s trainer was, and starting making guesses. Poffo was funny here; Among his guesses were The Red Rooster, Ryu Hayabusa, and Howard Finkel. Coming out of an advert break at 6:34, Dreamer ducked a Muta handspring elbow into the turnbuckle, and responded with a running bulldog. Crowd got behind him as he started to pound all over Muta, then throwing him into the turnbuckle. Dream went for what looked like a Yazuka kick but Muta caught it, and countered with a dragonscrew. Here Sandman started to limp out of the curtain to a nice pop but officials and medical folk rushed out to prevent Sandman from coming to the ring. His ankle was no where fully healed. They teased that if he gets involved, it could be the end of his career. As Dreamer watched his pal be restrained, Muta clipped Dreamer from behind. He quickly went for a moonsault, but missed. Perfect time for another advert break, which they did. Returning out of the break as Dreamer had the upperhand, they showed what went on during the advert break. After Muta missed the moonsault, Dreamer picked up Muta and clotheslined him. He then landed a Yazuka kick, and two nice standing dropkicks, showcasing his agility. Shamrock was putting over his fighting style over wrestling, but being careful insult the sport. He said that he would be able to, with the help of his trainer incorporate his dominated fighting styles, with his new set of wrestling skills to win the WOW Belt. At 14:33, Dreamer went for, what looked to be the second superplex of the night. But Muta blocked his attempt, then headbutted him twice. He then spit his green mist into Dreamers face, stunning him, and kicking him off the turnbukle. Muta then nailed his moonsault, for the victory.

After holding up Muta’s hand Inoki had the microphone and yelled over to Shamrock;

Shamrock! We Hea you little challenge – yessss!! You want match next week here! You got match next week here! And this time, you da one who gonna give up!! Muta and the ‘Master Of Attack’ had a staredown before the final break of the show.

Commentary Aftermath

Monroe

"Well…as things clear up here at ringside, things are certainly heating up here in The World Of Wrestling!"

Poffo

" This isn’t over yet…"

Monroe

" You heard, Antonio Inoki…the challenge has been accepted! The Master Of Attack Ken Shamrock will unveil his wrestling trainer next week, and he will team up with, against Terry Funk and the veteran, Antonio Inoki! Also…a very big special attraction match, Jimmy Snuka faces BCL, Brian Christopher Lawler! "

Poffo

" Plus a word with Commissioner Slaughter! What does he have in store for Rick Rude?!"

Monroe

" Well, we don’t what he has in store for anyone"

Poffo

" I know Slaughter, and his store is full of vermin, and I hope Mr. Rude himself, Kurgan the Mighty gives him another claw! Thos huge hands! Across the face of Slaughter! I can’t wait!"

Monroe

"AND…Plenty more including Dory Funk Jr. of the NWAA against the debuting Tank Abbott!"

Poffo

" I heard a lot about this man Abbott, very unorthodox style, similar to that of Ken Shamrock! This is the first time, he will be in a wrestling ring!"

Monroe

" Thanks for joining us wrestling fans! We shall be right here, once again on HBO2, Sunday Night…9pm Eastern, 8 Central…be here! It’s The World Of Wrestling!"

Poffo

" Wow!"

hbosports.jpg

wow.jpg

Referees: Clyde Rose, Jack Doan, Jeff Jones, Jim Thomas, Mike Chioda, Teddy Long

Attendance: 1,039 (449 Paid)

12th Jan, 1998

WOW on 12 Jan 1998 opened up with a video package recapping last week’s Sunday Night with the whole NWAA – Shamrock deal. Sgt. Slaughter came out and welcomed the fans. He acknowledged Ricky Steamboat showing up on RAW last week, saying that Steamboat sold all of his stock shares of World Of Wrestling, but that he didn’t know to who. He said that this was an underhanded tactic by Steamboat because he was afraid to get in the ring with Kurt Angle which was half shoot. Slaughter said that he was recovered from his attack, and despite rumours -- he was going to do nothing to Rude & Kurgan, as that would be an abuse of his power. He said he got involved, and paid for it – but he also added that Rude had better not think he’s running the show, because Slaughter is still the Commissioner. The Warrior’s Music hit – out came the booes and over to the broadcast table went Slaughter.

Clan Belmont (Raven, Clark & Kanyon Belmont) w/ Alucard (Vampire Warrior) d. Hellwig The Dark Warrior, The Masked Warrior, & The Rock N Roll Superstar

Well, this is probably the strongest indication that the promotion has given it up with Warrior. Warrior who’s asking almost $300,000 per appearance is rumoured to be use less and less to help cut worker costs. Most of the wrestlers and agents also have heat with Warrior due to his attitude of him thinking that he is above everyone else in the company. Raven comes across as the leader of his group, but they are calling it Clan Belmont so that the stable seems more original. ‘The Masked Warrior’ was someone in the back under a mask. His mannerisms resembled that of the late Kerry Von Erich – but for the purposes of this match, he was a jobber. You know Ole Anderson is booking, with the use of masking wrestlers in the back. Finish saw Raven implant RNR with his evenflow DDT at 9:04. After the match The Belmont Clan gave a group whipping to RNR. Poffo spent the almost entire match telling Warrior jokes. He said that Warrior was finally in a place he deserved to be – under a mask, when they lost the match. Slaughter used this match to tease unveiling the STABLE WARS tournament next week on Sunday Night.

Overall: 66

Crowd: 65

Match: 67

-AVERTS-

21:15

**Shamrock Shown the Brand Iron**

After the break, Alfred Hayes was in the ring and introduced Ken Shamrock. He asked Ken who is partner/trainer was. Like it was going to be that easy. Shamrock said that he’s in the back, preparing for the big match and that he hopped ‘The Old Man’ (Inoki) and Funk were ready. Crowd reacted stronger to Shamrock here, this week. Shamrock then started rambling on about people who he defeated in a UFC ring, before stopping a noticing a burning smell. He was interrupted by the site of Funk holding up his branding iron, which had yet to have been seen on WOW. Funk promised that Shamrock was going to meet his branding iron up close. He was joined at the isleway by Anderson, Dory, Blanchard, Hughes, Inoki waiving the NWAA flag, and Muta holding up that giant championship belt. Funk and company looked like major heels here. Loud Sandman chants filled the air for a short while. 76%

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

They cut to the back where Don West was back on Sandman duty again, and he was standing by with Dr. Noel Aaron for an update on Mr. Sandman. Aaron said that Sandman was recovering well, but he re-aggravated his injuries by putting so much pressure on his ankle last week when he tried to come to the ring, during the Muta – Dreamer match. West asked if he could get a word with the Sandman a little bit later on. Aaron said no, that the Sandman would be sleeping for a while. West asked why the Sandman was sleeping at such an early hour. Aaron answered, “ It was the beer.”

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Dr. Death” Steve Williams d. Chris Candito in 5:02

They are spelling Candito’s name back to the original way. Mainly a showcase for Dr. Death to drop Candito on his head a few times which he did. Finish came 5 minutes into the match when Candito was thrown into the ropes, into a spinning sidewalk slam. Williams then gave Candito three stiff backdrops on his head for the win. Candito as well as others who’s gotten into the ring with Williams has complained that Williams wrestles too stiffly.

Match: 72

Steve Williams gained 2 points of overness from this match.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Before the break they showed in the back, the NWAA locker room. It had tons of vintage pictures of Terry Funk, Tully Blanchard, Funk, and loads of Ole Anderson stuff. Dory Funk Jr. was looking on with Tully Blanchard, at a videotape of Tank Abbott fighting. Funk said that Abbott, like Shamrock was out of his game and promised victory.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

21:30

-ADVERTS-

Tank Abbott d. Dory Funk Jr. w/ Hughes by DQ

Lots of stalling here by Funk as he didn’t “know what to expect. Good brawling action here, as well. Abbott saw offense for the first time, at 5:22 when Dory missed a knee drop off the ropes. Abbott quickly jumped on Funk putting his forearm across the throat of Dory, choking him out. The referee Clyde Rose had to physically pull Abbott off at the 5 count. At 7:33, Abbott had Funk in a rope choke, and again didn’t release the hold after the 5 count. At 8:05, Abbott had Funk down into the corner with a foot choke and again had to be physically removed by the referee after the 5 count. Monroe pushed the idea that Abbott basically just didn’t have the rules of wrestling completely down. Abbott did another foot choke – And after not releasing after the 5 count, was this time, abruptly disqualified. Abbott held his hands up in confusion not understanding what he did wrong, as Hughes helped Funk out of the way. Abbott looked good here. Poffo called him a barbarian.

Overall: 60

Match: 71

Tank Abbott gained 2 points of overness from this match.

22:46

-ADVERTS-

BCL Brian Lawler d. Jimmy “Superfly” Snuka

Poffo noted that Snuka had many classic matches with Brian’s Father, Jerry. Match was awful, but the crowd enjoyed it. Snuka went to the top rope at 7:01 for his patented finisher. He stood up there for a while, absorbing the great reaction from the fans. He stood up there way too long allowing for Lawler to move when he was on his way down. Lawler quickly hooked the leg for the surprise victory.

Crowd: 64

Match: 55

Jimmy Snuka lost 1 point of overness from this match. Brian Christopher gained 3 points of overness from this match.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

In the back they showed Commissioner Slaughter, glasses and all, sitting down with Terry Taylor to figure out who Steamboat sold his shares of WOW to.

You think it was Vince? asked Taylor. Or Bischoff?, he added.

Oh God, no. snarled Slaughter.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

22:59

A promo played for STABLE WARS, in what many think will be a showcase for local wrestler; Muay Thai expert Tenton “Spike” Ryclef, though he’s not expected to win the event. The promo itself was very light on info but it’s believed that this is going to be somewhat of a 10 team points system tournament, with the teams being ‘stables’ of 3 or more people. The ‘final’ is supposed to be is some sort of gimmick match ‘never before done in a wrestling ring’ between equal numbered teams of the top two stables. The finals are slated to be on 22nd March, the first pay event of WOW. I’m thinking that the main event will have to be between name guys to give the impression of a ‘dream match’, otherwise I don’t think that HBO is going to get anywhere the interest in WOW Pay event as they do with their boxing events, which is what they are modeling this after.

HBO.jpg

wow.jpg

Referee: Teddy Long

The !WOW! Call Of The Night

Commentary By:

monroesn.jpg

Edward Monroe (Colour; Lanny Poffo)

KEN SHAMROCK & HIS TRAINER

VS.

TERRY FUNK & ANTONIO INOKI w/ Ole Anderson and WOW Champion Great Muta

And now we’ve got Shamrock, in the ring with Inoki and Funk…The WOW Champion, Great Muta lurks on the outside with that cunning Ole Anderson!

Poffo: Who is Shamrock’s trainer!?

Look! Shamrock wants the match to begin! There goes the bell, and here we go!! Listen to this crowd solidly behind The Master Of Attack, Ken Shamrock! Shamrock…/oh nice counter out of that by Inoki/….Shamrock…who’s made a name for himself in the Ultimate Fighting Competitions, is now trying to achieve the same success here in the World Of Wrestling…..certainly no slouches here in this promotion…..AND LOOK AT THIS! Inoki keeps countering Shamrock’s arm locks, and is angry that the people here aren’t giving him a rousing applause!

Poffo: He’s a legend, don’t you know! He’s been in the ring with the greats of the greats…Andre The Giant…Hulk Hogan….Muhammed Ali!!!!

WELL CERTAINLY…and that was the point I was about to make is that; The World Of Wrestling is becoming the talk of the wrestling world…with names such as INOKI…GREAT MUTA, KEN SHAMROCK, THE LEGION OF DOOM, CAPTAIN LOU, ABDULLAH, RICK RUDE….OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALIST, KURT ANGLE, I could go on and on…but the competition is fiercer here than you’ll see anywhere!

And now, the two locking up again…nice arm bar by Inoki, reverse by Shamrock into an armbar of his own/ Here comes Inoki back trying to counter in some way…he can’t!

Oh, I spoke to soon, Inoki drops down with an armtoss on Shamrock – Inoki tried to hold on to that arm, but Shamrock got away! What a display of true skill by these two!

Inoki, who’s now frustrated tags out to Funk! /OH MY LISTEN TO THIS CROWD!!! Funk certainly has not made ANY friends in this Las Vegas crowd!

Poffo: It’s not about friends you, bafoon! Especially in these parts!

Well, for the moment…it looks ask if Shamrock is going to go at this one alone, as he now locks up with Funk. They’re locked up now and Shamrock has backed Funk into the turnbuckle. Teddy Long, the referee assigned to this match, gets in between the two and it’s a clean break by Sharmock.

Here they go again, back at each other….this time it’s Funk backing Shamrock into the turnbuckle…Teddy Long coming---OH NO CHANCE OF A CLEAN BREAK, HERE! Punch to the stomach by Funk! Funk now with some blows to the head! Now…slapping Shamrock! Slapping Shamrock is Funk! Funk, now tosses Shamrock into the far turnbuckle…here comes Funk…SHAMROCK MOVES! ROLL UP….ONE…TW…..oh my word -- that have been something!!

Poffo: That was close! I think Shamrock IS going into this alone! He’s crazy!

Shamrock going right after Funk now, with a spinning to hold…a move that we’re accustomed to seeing Funk use….And I tell you want, if Shamrock keeps this up, he may not NEED help!

Now…Shamrock is trying to lock on the figured four on Funk! Look at this! It looks like Shamrock’s been training, already! But WHO IS HIS TRAINER!?

Poffo: What a powerslam!

Shamrock is certainly a very powerful man…as he drops an elbow on Funk. TWO COUNT. Shamrock now continuing to apply the pressure, nice amateur takedown there. Funk’s being taken to school, it seems here. And now, if you listen, you can here the fans. They are chanting for the Sandman, whom we know is undergoing extensive treatment for the damage done to his leg, in an absolute ruthless attack -- by THAT MAN! OLE ANDERSON!

Now, let’s pose a question, here, shall we? Now as Teddy Long steps in front of Shamrock…Funk is on the ropes. /Funk now goes out to consult with Anderson, Inoki & Muta/ Let me pose a question here. We all know that Great Muta is a great wrestler…Former NWA World Champion has had equal championship success in New Japan Pro Wrestling…but can he adapt to the style of Shamrock? The aggressive, yet methodical style of Shamrock…because so far, Funk and Inoki aren’t having any luck.

Poffo:

Ken Shamrock, the two legged wolf, he’s a predator you see!!!

He’s quick, calculating – He’s no loaf!

He’s lethal! He’s aggressive, and extremely wiley!!!!

As Terry Funk regroups, we’re going to do the same and will be right back in 90 seconds!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

And we are back! What a turn of a events have occurred in the last couple of minutes!

Poffo: Haha! Oh yes, the tables have turned!!

WELL, just a few moments ago, after Shamrock nailed Funk with an EXCELLENT double arm suplex, he tried to set Funker up off the ropes with an overhead toss – but Funk stopped short and gave him this excruciating looking stump Piledriver! Look at the replay! Not sure if Shamrock can move his neck…but now Funk is in control!

World Of Wrestling Sunday Night is brought to you by;

Budweisers! Need a break? Need a buzz. This bud’s for you!

And by,

Ford! What are you drivin’? Is it a Ford!?

And by,

Gatorade! Need to compete? Need your Gatorade!

And by HBO! The Worldwide Leader in Sports and Entertainment!

Not sure if Shamrock can move his neck…but now Funk is in control! Now…another snap mare by Funk. Funk with a kneed to the back of the head! My god!

Funk, now, locking on a sleeper hold! Good tactic, here!

Poffo: You know what? I don’t think Shamrock has ANYONE! He doesn’t have a trainer! It’s all a lie!!

Now, Funk is motioning to Ole Anderson…what is he asking for?

Poffo: A chair!

No, certainly Teddy Long has to step in here!

Poffo: Ole is getting it for him!

Let’s get some order here!

Poffo: He just tossed it to Terry!

Long now stepping in…

Poffo: He’s going to hit him!

LONG INTERJECTS! ….OH NO!!

Poffo: Long gets shoved aside…and…..YES!!!! YES!!!!

Funk just smashed that chair across the head of Shamrock! Shamrock goes down!!

One would certainly have to think that a disqualification is imminent!

Poffo: One would certainly have to think that you’re impotent!

There goes the bell…and OH!! Another shot with the chair to the sternum area! Oh my! Oh Dear!

railing.jpg

And wait a minute…..WE’VE GOT A FAN….a fan in the ring. Lets get someone out here!

Poffo: These Las Vegas lowlives…That man just leaped over the railing! He’s now in the ring! Just grabbed Funk by a chunk of his hair!

Funk now punches the man…he goes reeling back, but he’s fighting right back! A punch by….

Poffo: THAT’S CURT HENNIG!! THAT’S CURT HENNIG!

My god! It’s the Perfect one himself! Here…TAKING IT TO FUNK!

You might have seen Curt Hennig last, just a couple of weeks ago inside of another promotion’s ring – but now, he’s HERE! Now he’s HERE in WORLD OF WRESTLING!!

Punch! Punch! Punch! Ohhhhhhh - a roundhouse right sending Funk over the top!

HERE COMES ANDERSON!

AND THERE HE GOES, OVER THE TOP BY HENNIG!!

Poffo: Hennig hit a cripple! He’s no better than Sandman! Anderson’s going to need crutches again!

Curt Hennig is here in the World Of Wrestling!!! This crowd is going absolutely ballistic! And so his Hennig! NOW….standing tall!! Helping up Hennig!! Look at the Great Muta standing outside the ring with his belt! Will he enter the ring? Will he enter Hennig’s ring!!?

Poffo: That isn’t Hennig’s ring! That isn’t Shamrock’s ring! That is Great Muta’s ring!

He’s the world Champion, so it’s his ring, Monroe!

Let’s get the official word from Joel Gertner…I believe the bell has rang and Teddy Long has made a decision, IN THIS MAYHEM!

Announcer Joel Gertner:

Ahem…

Your attention please, your attention please…

The time of the match…

Ten minutes, and thirty-nine seconds

Your winner by Disqualification….

The Master Of Attack…KEN SHAMROCK!!!

Yes!

Poffo: No! Why! Curt Hennig, he interfered! He doesn’t even work here!

It was Terry Funk who initiated, with the illegal use of the chair! Then, to make matters worse, he SHOEVED, Teddy Long the official assigned to this match! Justice has been served!

curthenniga.jpgkshamrock.jpg

Look – In the ring!! Ken Shamrock, with HIS TRAINER! The man that came to his aid, here tonight – CURT HENNIG!!!

For Lanny Poffo – I’m Edward Monroe; Thank you for joining us tonight! We’ll be here right here next week with more WOW action! Things have certainly heated up!! Listen to this crowd!

Hands raised high!

Ken Shamrock and Curt Hennig!!"

Overall: 72

Match: 77

WORLD OF WRESTLING HBO SUNDAY NIGHT PREVIEW!

19th Jan, 1998 - Sunday Nights 9pm - Only on HBO2 (following Saturday Night Fights replay)

* Abdullah The Butcher vs. Jim "Anvil" Neidhart (First time anywhere!)

*Ken Shamrock w/ Special trainer - "PERFECT" CURT HENNIG!!!

*THE SANDMAN RETURNS!

And challenges NWAA Advisor Ole Anderson!!

Plus!

THE DEBUT OF T.W. TINSLEY!!

note: T.W. Tinsely is a local Las Vegas wrestler with a overness of 10 (in perspective: since he's just a local boy).

• 2 weeks later...

hbosports.jpg

wow.jpg

Attendance: 1,011 (451 Paid)

19th Jan, 1998

hbosports.jpg

wow.jpg

Referee: Teddy Long

The !WOW! Call Of The Night

Commentary By:

monroesn.jpg

Edward Monroe (Colour; Lanny Poffo)

THE DEBUT OF

T.W. TINSLEY

Hello everybody and welcome to W.O.W. Sunday Night – It’s The World Of Wrestling! I am Edward Monroe, and Lanny Poffo seems to be a bit….late, as he is now wheeling himself down to the ring now…..Hello – welcome Mr. Poffo –

Poffo: What the hell is that supposed to mean you pile of stink!?

I…er…

Poffo: [*house mic’ed*]I am handicapped! I broke my leg during a teaching lesson and I’m bound to this until the summer!

But I’ll be out of this no longer than you’ll still be waiting for

your almighty very first hummer!

Sorry If I’m not in the front of the announce table race!

The limerick master is here - to put you back in your place!

Tonight, on World Of Wrestling Sunday Night – The W.O.W SUPERshow! We’ll get to that in a second. – but tonight we hear from CURT HENNIG!! The Perfect One himself shocked the world by appearing in a WOW ring last week revealing himself to be the wrestling trainer for Ken Shamrock!

Poffo: You talk about perfect wrestlers, you talk about perfect fighters, and here you have the combination of both worlds!

Definitely a threat, and it’s clear that he’s got his eyes set on the WOW Belt, which has been on the waist of the Great Muta since November on the historical inaugural show! Certainly a threat.

Also the return of Sandman!! And Ole Anderson is said to be on his P’s and Q’s!

And our main event big match – never before faced each other – Jim Neidhart vs. Abdullah The Butcher! And before we get started, let’s talk about the WOW SUPERshow!

The 28th Of February!

Live! New York City! Manhattan Centre!!

H.B.O TWO!

Sunday Night – EARLY START TIME – 8PM!

But it is a three hour spectacular – The Manhattan Centre will be a packed house!

If you live in the Nevada Area be sure to pick up your tickets at the WOW Box Office, as we expect the best tickets to go fast!

Outside of Nevada, tickets are available at 877-555-WOWW!

Now let’s go to the ring, as our first bout sees Power Warrior of the Legion Of Doom, WOW Tag Team Champions, will face Evil Doink – on half of Mass Destruction! Now, in the corner of Power Warrior will be the creator of the Legion Of Doom during the NWA years, Paul Ellering –

Poffo: Oh, but you see, in the corner of Evil Doink is the MASTER OF CHAMPIONS! Captain Lou Albano – the new and improved! And, of course, the manager of many tag team champions – Mr. Fuji! Now….

And let’s get things started here tonight – our opening bout is Lance Storm against the debuting T.W. Tinsley!

Poffo: I don’t know.

There is a man…a Cowboy Hat…HE’S GOT A NOOSE! What the --?

Announcer Joel Gertner

And now, his opponent!

From Odessa, Texas!

Weighing in at 6 feet tall - 289 lbs!

T! W! TINSLEY!

Out comes a man who looks to be of Southern decent. He’s wearing a dark brown cowboy hat, in black trunks, dressed in a leather vest in cowboy boots. He’s holding up a noose as he walks to the ring. Across the back of his vest reads:

‘KICKING TAIL…’

‘AND TAKING NAMES’

He has a deep southern accent, and sports a leather glove on his right hand.

The name’s T.W. Tinsley!

…And I’m here KICKING TAIL!

That’s right…I SAID TAIL!

…AND TAKING NAMES!

I arrived here last night, and they all call it ‘Sin City!’…

Well they outta call it the ‘Shit City!’

Goddamn lowlives, on every corner…

You got them ol’ whores walkin’ around

And you got these no good men who look just like all ya’ll damn meatheads I see in this buildin’ tonight!

They ain’t a word as nice as prostitution that’s fit enough to describe you no-good gamblin’ fools!

And now…Lance Storm! Canadian boy, you in mah country, now!

And I’m fixin’ to kick your tail all over this ring….but I dun think you wanna get in the ring with me, boy.

Naw, you don’t want to get in the ring with, The Wildman.

So listen here, boy. Imma gonna let you walk outta this ring now, and save your little red and white TAIL!

So get outta mah ring! And allow this announcer to announce me as the winner by you walkin’ out.”

Storm’s got the mic now…and this man…T.W. Tinsley! This brash Texan! He’s got mean streak that seems deeper than Hades, itself! This man is cold. How he just insulted these people here in the Palladium Dome!

Poffo: Monroe, did you JUST get off the plane? He’s right! This town is worthless!

Let’s here what Storm has to say.

Lance Storm

You know, you talk a really big game.

You sound like a real tough guy.

But maybe you don’t know who I am.

I am Lance Storm – From Calgary – Alberta Canada.

And the only way you’re getting me out of the ring is by throwing me out!

Ladies and gentleman if you’re just joining us here on Ricky Steamboat’s World Of Wrestling, Lance Storm was just given the option by this man – T.W. Tinsley to leave the ring! Lance Storm has declined, and it looks like this match is set to begin! There goes the bell!

WOW SATURDAY NIGHT PREVIEW

Saturday Night - 31st Jan 1998

8PM ON HBO2

(2 HOUR SPECIAL!) (no boxing)

World Of Wrestling Champion Great Muta & The Funks (Terry Funk & Dory Funk Jr.)

vs.

The Sandman, Tommy Dreamer, & Jim "Anvil" Neidhart

If Sandman's team wins -- Sandman gets a title shot THE NEXT NIGHT - LIVE, On WOW Sunday Night!

If Sandman's team looses -- Sandman cannot get another title shot until 1999!

A Special Interview with: World Of Wrestling Tag Team Champions Legion Of Doom

What does Paul Ellering's Veteran Team have in store for Saturday Night?

A word with Paul Heyman

Where has he been?

Perfect Curt Hennig & Ken Shamrock

vs.

Perry Saturn & Shannon "Pluto" Moore

Ken Shamrock's trainer -- The Legendary Curt Hennig makes his WOW in ring debut!

Will Ken Shamrock fall to another "Saturn Conjunction Pluto!"

T.W. Tinsley vs. Lance Storm

This time, Storm's coming prepared for the Wildman!

Edward Monroe interviews Commissioner Sgt. Slaughter:

Is there more of a chance for Sandman to get a healthy shot at the WOW Belt?

A special message to: The Ravishing One Rick Rude!

WOW invades New York City!

Will Slaughter give more information about STABLEWARS!?

DON'T MISS IT!!!!!!!