NWA:TNA -- Russo's Revenge!

Monday, December 8, 2003

In a rare mid-month move, I granted Kid Kash’s request to move up from his Lower Midcard status. The fans responded surprisingly well to him and EZ Money.

In a move that surprised no one in the business, all of DAVE’s sponsors left them due to the high risk level of the company. We’ll see if they can secure more funding soon.

TNA XCitement

Hosts: Steven Kavovit and Bart Snake

Kavovit: Hello, everyone, welcome to XCitement! I'm Steven Kavovit, and my co-host is Bart Snake.

Snake: Good to see you again, Steven.

Kavovit: Two nights ago we saw half of the first round of the Tag Team tournament, and a couple of the outcomes could be called upsets.

Snake: For one, the Hardcore Connection, which I believe was the first time Masato Tanaka and Sabu have teamed up together, knocked off the Road Warriors.

Kavovit: Tanaka is here tonight, and he’ll be taking on Bill Goldberg in our main event.

Snake: Also, for all the buildup of the Fabulous Rougeau Brothers, they were upset by the returning Kid Kash and EZ Money, now known as Mucho Dinero.

Kavovit: Jacques Rougeau Jr. will be looking to get back on track tonight, as he takes on Donovan Morgan.

Snake: Also advancing in the Tag Team tournament is Haas Of Pain and the team of Ken Shamrock and Bas Rutten.

Kavovit: One other match tonight will see Sting in action against Johnny Smith. But right now, Donovan Morgan is on his way to the ring.

Morgan gets in the ring with a microphone. He says that his opponent tonight, Jacques Rougeau Jr., reminds him a lot of that idiot Nick Dinsmore. Both think they’re pretty good wrestlers, but neither one is excellent.

OR: 78

Jacques Rougeau Jr. vs. Donovan Morgan: I guess after all the hype that went into the Rougeaus, the fans are still interested in them even though they’re already out of the Tag Team tournament. Jacques controls the early minutes, but Morgan holds on to the ropes to avoid a Dropkick. Morgan then begins to dominate, reverting to form by calling each of his moves “excellent”. He finishes off Jacques with the Double Underhook Piledriver.

Winner: Donovan Morgan

OR: 80

CR: 81

MQ: 81

(Jacques Rougeau Jr. dropped in over from 83 to 82. Donovan Morgan gained in over from 77 to 79.)

Sting hits the ring, and the noise from the crowd is deafening. He’s going to be fighting Johnny Smith in a couple of minutes but he’s got something he wants to say. While Ken Shamrock was World champion, he wasn’t pursuing the title because they are friends. But now Low-Ki is the World champion, and he just beat Low-Ki last month. So all he wants is a chance to do it again, but with the title on the line.

OR: 97

Sting vs. Johnny Smith (with Cyrus): Apparently, Sting should have been more focused on this match than with Low-Ki, because Smith takes control of the match right off the bat. Smith dominates Sting, but eventually the crowd rallies behind Sting, and he makes the big comeback. After a couple of Stinger Splashes, Sting puts the Scorpion Death Lock on Smith, and he quickly taps out.

Winner: Sting

OR: 82

CR: 83

New Jack and Masato Tanaka come to the ring for their match. New Jack gets a microphone from one of the ring crew and starts to brag about Sabu and Tanaka’s win last Saturday. He says he’s so confident that he’s giving Tanaka a big challenge tonight by having him face Bill Goldberg. After Tanaka wins tonight, then they’ll start planning for the second round of the tournament.

OR: 85

Masato Tanaka (with New Jack) vs. Bill Goldberg (with Cyrus): Goldberg uses his size advantage to totally dominate Tanaka for the first five minutes. Goldberg lands the Jackhammer, and the referee starts to count. But just before he gets to three, Tanaka gets his shoulder up! Goldberg and Cyrus both look stunned that someone kicked out of the Jackhammer. Goldberg argues with the referee, and then punches him, knocking him out. While Goldberg stands over the fallen referee, New Jack hands a chair to Tanaka, who is recovering on the other side of the ring. Goldberg turns around, and takes a chair to the head! Tanaka delivers two more blows with the chair, but Goldberg is still on his feet – just barely. Tanaka tosses the chair back to ringside, and another referee appears to finish out the match. With Goldberg still stunned, Tanaka hits the Roaring Elbow, and the second referee counts the pin.

Winner: Masato Tanaka

OR: 84

CR: 82

MQ: 87

(Bill Goldberg dropped in over from 94 to 93. Masato Tanaka gained in over from 82 to 83.)

Rating: 5.83

Attendance: 10024

Best segment: Interview with Sting (97)

Worst segment: Interview with Donovan Morgan (78)

Best match: Masato Tanaka over Bill Goldberg (84)

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Friday, December 12, 2003

TNA XPlosion

Hosts: Jeff Morales and Dick Williams

Morales: Hello, everyone, welcome to XPlosion! I'm Jeff Morales, and joining me this week is Dick Williams.

Williams: Hello, Jeff. We’ve got a great show tonight, featuring a rematch for the Hardcore title.

Morales: Scott Hall will be defending the belt against Bas Rutten, who he defeated for the title at NWA Anniversary.

Williams: Also tonight, out main event will see Brian Lawler taking on Super Crazy in a X-division match.

Morales: But let’s get things started with Nick Dinsmore taking on the returning Michael Modest. Dinsmore is already on his way to the ring.

Nick Dinsmore comes from the back without much fanfare, although the crowd seems to be getting behind him more and more. He says he’s not through with Donovan Morgan by a long shot, and he’d better watch Dinsmore’s match with Michael Modest just to get an idea what he’s in for the next time they meet.

Nick Dinsmore vs. Michael Modest: A good mat-wrestling match, with both men in command at various times. However, after about 12 minutes, Dinsmore starts to really dominate. He hits a German Suplex, but suddenly Donovan Morgan shows up. Dinsmore starts to argue with him, completely ignoring Modest. The next thing he knows, Modest quickly rolls him up, and scores the pinfall, thanks to a handful of tights. Morgan gets in the ring, and a 2-on-1 beatdown follows. After a couple of minutes, they’re finally finished, leaving Dinsmore spread-eagled on the mat.

Winner: Michael Modest

OR: 77

CR: 72

MQ: 82

Modest and Morgan go to the announcers’ desk, where they take the house microphone as medics quickly rush the ring to check on Dinsmore. Morgan says that Dinsmore just found out what’s really going to happen should their paths cross again. He then adds that Modest is the only one who can call himself “excellent” like Morgan. Modest says that together they are known as Excellence Inc., and they’d love to show all of TNA just how excellent they really are in the Tag Team tournament tomorrow night.

OR: 79

Backstage, Alicia Shamrock is backstage with Bas Rutten. Ken Shamrock is seen in the background watching his wife talking about Rutten’s Hardcore title match tonight. She says Rutten is ready for this match, and there’s nothing Hall can do to keep him from winning the title.

OR: 81

Scott Hall comes to the ring with Vince Russo, and Hall takes the microphone from the ring announcer. He says he guarantees that he won’t lose to Bas Rutten tonight. He then makes fun of Rutten’s accent, doing a rather poor imitation of it. However, the fans really boo him for this.

OR: 88

NWA Hardcore title match: Bas Rutten (with Alicia Shamrock) vs. Scott Hall © (with Vince Russo): The match starts out like most every Hardcore match, as both men find all sorts of weapons under the ring, which they use on each other. Meanwhile, Russo sneaks up on Alicia. He grabs her, but quickly Ken Shamrock comes out. He chases Russo back to the locker room, then he grabs Alicia’s arm and takes her backstage too, leaving Rutten and Hall in the ring without their managers. As the match continues, they fight to ringside. Hall nails Rutten with a chair, knocking him flat on his back. Hall takes time to celebrate his advantage. He spots a fan with a full cup of beer. It’s Coqui! Hall takes Coqui’s beer and drinks half of it before handing it back to him. Coqui is obviously upset, and he tosses the rest of the beer on Hall. Now Hall’s angry, so he punches Coqui, knocking him down. Hall turns his attention back to Rutten, and they get back in the ring. Hall whips Rutten into the ropes, and they both go for the leapfrog spot … only they collide heads, and both men are down. Suddenly, Coqui jumps over the railing and climbs into the ring. Where’s security? Coqui jumps on top of Hall, and the referee doesn’t quite know what to do. He then remembers it’s a Hardcore match, so he counts Coqui’s pinfall. Coqui is the Hardcore champion?

Winner: Coqui

OR: 65

CR: 54

MQ: 77

(The NWA Hardcore title has dropped in image from 76 to 74.)

The announcers beckon for Coqui to come to their desk. They start to interview him, but before he can even say a word, Shane Douglas runs in from the back! He hits a couple of punches on Coqui and a referee comes out to try and break it up. It’s not scheduled, but I guess we’ve got …

NWA Hardcore title match: Coqui © vs. Shane Douglas: Douglas picks up Coqui and hits the Franchiser, right on the floor! He covers and tells the referee to count, so he does. Douglas holds up the Hardcore title belt, then kicks Coqui a couple of times for good measure. Some more referees and medics quickly arrive to keep Douglas away while they tend to Coqui.

Winner: Shane Douglas

OR: 57

CR: 48

MQ: 66

Since he’s already at the announcers’ desk, Douglas decides to give an interview.

Morales: Shane Douglas, What have you done? This was an innocent fan that you just beat up!

Douglas: Innocent? The moment he decided to interject himself into that match, he was no longer just a fan. And now look at this belt. Do you remember when I first arrived here with this belt?

Douglas peels some of the tape off the belt.

Douglas: This was the XPW Heavyweight title, a belt I earned and defended with honor. Commissioner Mick Foley turned it into the Hardcore title, and the only reason it lasted this long was because I allowed it. But when some deranged fan was awarded this title, it totally lost all its credibility. This was a bigger joke than when David Arquette won the WCW World title! This title is now shit.

Morales: Hey, watch your language!

Douglas: You shut up. Seeing as this title is now totally meaningless, I’m going to take my belt and go home. There won’t be any more matches for this title. And if Foley doesn’t like it, he can kiss my ass.

OR: 72

Steve Corino comes to the ring with Super Crazy. Corino says Sonny Siaki had no reason to interfere in Crazy’s match in the Tag Team tournament last Saturday. So now it’s time for some payback. Corino says Crazy wants his rematch for the X title! He says tonight’s match with Brian Lawler is just a warm-up for whenever Siaki has the balls to give him the match.

OR: 86

Super Crazy (with Steve Corino) vs. Brian Lawler: The crowd is slow to come around to this match. They’re still stunned by the events from earlier tonight. I think it will be a long time before another fan even thinks about getting involved after the ass-kicking Coqui took. As for the match, it was a very good one, but it was pretty much all Super Crazy. The contest ends when Crazy hits the Trifecta Moonsault on Lawler.

Winner: Super Crazy

CR: 71

OR: 76

Rating: 7.44

Attendance: 10023

Best segment: Interview with Scott Hall (88)

Worst segment: Shane Douglas over Coqui (57)

Best match: Super Crazy over Brian Lawler (79)

Saturday, December 13, 2003

TNA XHilaration

Hosts: Ahmed Vaughn and Emma Barbecue

On the video screen we see footage from earlier today (with a helpful “earlier today” label in the upper left corner), where commissioner Mick Foley is working at his desk. There’s a knock at the door, and Steven Richards enters.

Richards: You wanted to see me?

Foley: Yeah, Steven. You know, tonight’s the second half of the first round of the Tag Team tournament. So far, only 15 teams have entered, so I need one more team. I just want to let you know that I have chosen you for the 16th and final team.

Richards: Wait a minute, who’s my partner?

Foley: Your partner is anyone you can find to tag with you. And if you can’t find anyone, you’ll face Perry Saturn and Anthony Durante by yourself in a Handicap match.

Richards looks upset, but instead of saying anything, he turns and leaves, slamming the door behind him.

Foley: Have a nice day!

(Steven Richards gained in over from 68 to 69.)

Vaughn: Hi, I’m Ahmed Vaughn, and this is XHilaration! My partner this week is Emma Barbecue. How’s it going, Emma?

Barbecue: Pretty good, Ahmed. I’m pumped for tonight’s show. It’s the other half of the first round of the tournament to crown Tag Team champions.

Vaughn: Ever since commissioner Mick Foley declared the Tag titles vacant and set up this tournament, several teams have made known their intentions to enter the tournament.

Barbecue: Last week, Haas Of Pain, the Hardcore Connection, Ken Shamrock and Bas Rutten, and Mucho Dinero all advanced to the second round.

Vaughn: Next week, Haas Of Pain will take on Rutten and Shamrock, while the Hardcore Connection will take on Mucho Dinero, who scored an upset win over the Fabulous Rougeau Brothers. But Perry Saturn and Anthony Durante are already in the ring, so let’s get started.

Steven Richards’ music plays, and he comes out alone. The announcers tell us he’s had about three hours to find a new partner, but they don’t know if he’s had any success. Richards gets a microphone – I guess he’s going to tell us.

Richards: Earlier today, I was forced into this match. Commissioner Foley said I had to find a partner or go alone in this match. Well, I couldn’t get a partner, so I have a problem.

Diamond: And I am your problem solver!

A man steps through the curtains dressed in wrestling gear with a diamond on his trunks.

Diamond: For those of you who don’t know me, my name is Simon Diamond, and I solve problems. Steven Richards, you don’t have a partner tonight, but I can solve your problem by being your tag team partner.

Richards: Can you wrestle?

Diamond: Can I wrestle? Watch this.

OR: 91

(Steven Richards gained in over from 69 to 70.)

Tag Team Tournament, first round: Anthony Durante & Perry Saturn vs. Simon Diamond & Steven Richards: Diamond jumps in the ring, and quickly takes the advantage. He gives Durante just about the quickest butt kicking he’s ever taken before hitting the Problem Solver to score the pin in less than three minutes. Saturn and Richards were never tagged into the match.

Winner: Simon Diamond & Steven Richards

OR: 73

CR: 66

After the match, Simon Diamond gets a microphone.

Diamond: Steven, I have solved your problem now. I’ll see you next week. However, Simon has a problem with certain people running TNA. I’m talking at you, Mick Foley! I’ve asked several times for you to give me a shot, but each time you refused. But I was able to get in here tonight, and now that Steven and I have advanced, I’ll be back next week. Foley, you’d better show me some respect and sign me to a contract!

OR: 87

Jerry Lynn and A.J. Styles come to the ring for their match. They talk about their opponents tonight, Gangrel and Vampiro, without saying a word about Haas Of Pain. I guessed they’re focused on their match tonight.

Tag Team Tournament, first round: Styles and Lynn vs. Gangrel & Vampiro: This turns out to be a surprisingly good match. I’m almost convinced Styles and Lynn could carry two broomsticks to a 3-star match after the job they did with these two. This one’s pretty much all Styles and Lynn, as Styles gets the pinfall after a Styles Clash on Gangrel.

Winner: Styles and Lynn

CR: 73

Backstage, Cyrus gets Scoot Andrews and Jun Akiyama ready for their match tonight. Cyrus promises that his team will advance to the second round.

Steve Corino leads Ultimo Dragon and Jushin Liger to the ring. He says Psychosis and Super Crazy suffered a setback last week, but since Andrews and Akiyama haven’t beaten anyone in a while, he’s glad to get the bye into round 2.

(Jushin Liger gained in over from 71 to 72.)

Tag Team Tournament, first round: Jushin Liger & Ultimo Dragon (with Steve Corino) vs. Jun Akiyama & Scoot Andrews (with Cyrus): I think Corino underestimated The Virus, as they dominate Liger & Dragon to start the match. Eventually, Dragon makes the hot tag, and the faces take the upper hand. But great teamwork behind the referee’s back swings the advantage the other way. Andrews uses the Forces Of Nature to score the pin on Liger.

Winner: Scoot Andrews & Jun Akiyama

CR: 69

MQ: 88

Excellence Inc. come out for the final first-round match of the tournament. They proceed to do a lousy impersonation of Japanese people. I think asking for some egg rolls went a little too far. Before long, Kaientai storm out, and the match is on.

Tag Team Tournament, first round: Kaientai vs. Excellence Inc.: Funaki and TAKA Michinoku start out as a pagoda on fire. Damn, now they’ve got me doing it too! Great back and forth action, but mostly Donovan Morgan and Michael Modest control, each one complimenting the other on the excellentness of their wrestling moves. Finally TAKA tags in Funaki, and before long all four are fighting in the ring. Wait, there’s Nick Dinsmore! Behind the referee’s back, he trips up Morgan, who staggers right into a Tornado DDT from Funaki. The ref makes the count as TAKA and Modest don’t even realize what happened.

Winner: Kaientai

OR: 83

CR: 77

MQ: 90

Rating: 6.37

Attendance: 10001

Best segment: Simon Diamond debuts as Steven Richards’ partner (91)

Worst segment: Simon Diamond & Steven Richards over Perry Saturn & Anthony Durante (73)

Best match: Kaientai over Excellence Inc. (83)

Monday, December 15, 2003

TNA XCitement

Kavovit: Hello, everyone, welcome to XCitement! I'm Steven Kavovit, and my co-host is Bart Snake.

Kavovit: Tonight we have not one but two title defenses scheduled.

Snake: Two!?!

Kavovit: That’s right, Sonny Siaki will be defending the X title against Chris Chetti, and Low-Ki will be defending the World title against Norman Smiley.

Snake: Tonight’s show certainly has a pay-per-view atmosphere around it, that’s for sure.

Kavovit: But let’s get to the ring for our first match, D’Lo Brown facing Shane Douglas.

D’Lo Brown vs. Shane Douglas: The announcers discuss Douglas “retiring” the Hardcore title last Friday on XPlosion, and note that he didn’t bring the belt with him to the ring. But it looks like he doesn’t need it, as he pretty much controls the match – although he has to cheat some to keep the advantage. Finally, D’Lo hits a clothesline to take control, and a minute later he hits the Lo Down for the pin.

Winner: D’Lo Brown

CR: 75

MQ: 79

While D’Lo celebrates his win, his music is suddenly cut off and Simon Diamond steps through the curtain.

Diamond: Cut his music! Simon has a problem, and his problem is with you, D’Lo Brown! For months I have been asking, literally begging, for an opportunity to show what I can do in TNA. Meanwhile, you come in here uninvited and headline a pay-per-view against Bill Goldberg in a month’s time? I’m better than you, D’Lo. You don’t deserve to be here. I deserved the shot, not you, and I’ll prove it to you at Holiday Hell.

NWA X title match: Chris Chetti vs. Sonny Siaki © (with Vince Russo): Much like Siaki’s last title defense, Russo is so confident in Siaki that he joins the announcers at their desk instead of staying at ringside. Russo’s confidence proves to be well deserved, as Siaki finishes off Chetti with little resistance. He hits the Sonny Side Up for the pin.

Winner: Sonny Siaki

After the match, Russo gets in the ring to celebrate with Siaki, and then asks for some real competition. Uh oh, big mistake. Commissioner Mick Foley’s music hits, anf he walks through the curtain to a big pop.

Foley: It’s good to be back in the TNA Asylum again! Russo, you want some competition for the X title? I think that can be arranged. Since Super Crazy hasn’t got his rematch yet, I think I’ll make that match for Holiday Hell. I think the former champion should provide you with some competition. Have a nice day!

Low-Ki comes to the ring with a microphone.

Low-Ki: In a few minutes, I’m going to beat Norman Smiley. But that’s not what I want to talk about, since it’s a foregone conclusion. Ken Shamrock, I know you’ve got a rematch clause for my title. I say let’s not wait around. Next week, Shamrock, come get your rematch. I know you’ve given up on this title, since you went straight into the Tag Team tournament right after I beat your ass for this belt. Whether you win or lose Saturday, that’s not my concern. I’ve already shown I could carry anyone to the Tag Team titles, so that’s beneath me. Shamrock, I’ll see you next Monday – if you’ve got the balls to show up.

OR: 74

(Ken Shamrock dropped in over from 92 to 90. Low-Ki dropped in over from 90 to 88.)

NWA World title match: Norman Smiley vs. Low-Ki ©: Low-Ki controls the opening minutes, but after about seven minutes Smiley makes a comeback. Unfortunately, he celebrates way too early, going for the Big Wiggle instead of staying on Low-Ki. After Smiley completes the Big Wiggle, Low-Ki is ready. He locks on the Dragon Clutch right away, and Smiley taps out.

Winner: Low-Ki

(The NWA World title has dropped in image from 91 to 89.)

Rating: 6.08

Attendance: 10030

Best segment: Mick Foley makes X title match for Holiday Hell (81)

Worst segment: Low-Ki challenges Ken Shamrock to a World title match (74)

Best match: Low-Ki over Norman Smiley (79)

Friday, December 19, 2003

Low-Ki was definitely not on top of his game Monday. His promo was less than inspiring, and his match with Norman Smiley didn’t turn any heads, either. Of course, that’s not all his fault, but it’s enough to be a cause for concern. This is his first chance to show he deserves to carry that belt, and we believe he can succeed. But many more performances like that may cause things to change sooner rather than later.

TNA XPlosion

Morales: Hello, everyone, welcome to XPlosion! I'm Jeff Morales, and joining me this week is Dick Williams.

Williams: Hello, Jeff. We’ve got a great show tonight, featuring Sting against Scott Hall.

Morales: That’s some main event for tonight. Also, TAKA Michinoku will take on Christopher Nowinski, and we’ll hear from D’Lo Brown a little later.

Williams: Also tonight, Raymond Rougeau will face Kid Kash and try to get a little payback for eliminating him and his brother from the Tag Team tournament.

Morales: But our first match tonight will see Damien 666 challenge Donovan Morgan. Speaking of which, here comes Morgan with his partner, Michael Modest.

Modest: Can you believe that Nick Dinsmore cost us the chance to fight for the Tag Team titles, Jeff?

Morales: Well, …

Morgan: Look, forget about that. Right now I’m going to give everyone a little sample of just how excellent I am against Damien 666. My main man here will stick around to make sure Dinsmore doesn’t cost me another match. But since we’re out of the Tag Team tournament, I’m challenging you, Dinsmore, to a match at Holiday Hell. And that’s exactly what it’s going to be, Dinsmore. While I’ll be having an excellent holiday season, your holidays will be nothing but hell.

Damien 666 vs. Donovan Morgan (with Michael Modest): Stunningly enough, Modest doesn’t get involved in this match in any way. It’s a good match, but Morgan controls for the most part with his usual offensive moves. After each one, Modest is the one who tells the crowd it was an excellent move, as Morgan nods his head in agreement. Eventually, Morgan hits the Double Underhook Piledriver to pick up the win.

CR: 68

MQ: 86

Backstage, Raymond Rougeau is standing by with Jacques Rougeau Jr. Raymond says that he can’t believe some upstart team like Mucho Dinero knocked them out of the Tag Team tournament. That was their tournament! They were supposed to be the ones to win the tournament and become Tag Team champions! Tonight, Kid Kash is going to find out that the Rougeaus will be nobody’s stepping stone.

Kid Kash comes to the ring with EZ Money, who looks like he’s raided Ric Flair’s closet. Is that suit Armani? Kash says the Rougeaus mean nothing to them. They intend on winning the Tag Team tournament to get the title belts. He says they’d make nice cummerbunds for their tuxedos!

OR: 90

Raymond Rougeau (with Jacques Rougeau Jr.) vs. Kid Kash (with EZ Money): Good back-and-forth action throughout this contest. With both men’s tag team partners at ringside, neither side is able to gain any advantage by cheating. Raymond uses his technical wrestling ability to keep Kid Kash grounded, but before long it becomes clear that Kash is just as much of a technician as Raymond, possibly even better. Kash takes control, and the pace picks up some. Kash delivers the Money In The Bank to get the win.

Winner: Kid Kash

CR: 79

MQ: 80

(Raymond Rougeau dropped in over from 85 to 84.)

However, it seems EZ Money wants in on all the action, and he gets in the ring. Jacques Rougeau Jr. is in there just as quick, and before long all four are fighting. Referees and road agents come from the back and hold both sides apart. Occasionally, someone would break loose, and all four would end up brawling again until order is re-established. Eventually, Mucho Dinero is dragged back to the locker room, yelling at the Fabulous Rougeau Brothers the whole way.

D’Lo Brown comes to the announcers’ desk. He says he didn’t get a chance to answer Simon Diamond’s challenge for Holiday Hell. He says if Simon wants a match, it’s fine with him. After everything he’s done in the last month and a half since coming to TNA, D’Lo want to eliminate any doubt that he not only belongs here, but is one of the best fighters here as well.

TAKA Michinoku vs. Christopher Nowinski: No story here, just your basic squash match to get TAKA some television time in singles competition. He hits the Michinoku Driver, and impressive feat given the size differential between him and Nowinski. After that, the pinfall is academic.

Winner: TAKA Michinoku

CR: 76

Backstage, Vince Russo is standing by with Scott Hall. Hey yo! Russo says Hall has beaten Sting before, and after the humiliation he suffered last week being pinned by a fan – a fan! – Hall’s looking to beat up somebody. Unfortunately for Sting, tonight he’s the somebody.

Sting hits the ring with a microphone. He cuts another lackluster promo, but the fans still love him anyway. He says he’s going to beat Scott Hall tonight.

OR: 92

Sting vs. Scott Hall (with Vince Russo): The crowd is hot for this match. There’s nothing new in this match, but it’s enough to hold the fans’ attention throughout. After a solid nine minutes, Russo tries to interfere, but Sting punches him, knocking him to the floor. Hall tries to take advantage, but Sting is ready and counters Hall’s move. Shortly thereafter, Sting hits the Scorpion Death Drop to get the win.

CR: 92

MQ: 75

Rating: 7.36

Attendance: 10014

Best segment: Interview with Sting (92)

Worst segment: Donovan Morgan over Damien 666 (77)

Best match: Sting over Scott Hall (86)

Saturday, December 20, 2003

TNA XHilaration

Vaughn: Hi, I’m Ahmed Vaughn, and this is XHilaration! My partner this week is Emma Barbecue. How’s it going, Emma?

Barbecue: Pretty good, Ahmed. I’m pumped for tonight’s show. We’ve got the quarterfinals of the tournament to crown Tag Team champions tonight.

Vaughn: We’ll start with Mucho Dinero, who surprised the Fabulous Rougeau Brothers in the first round, taking on the Hardcore Connection, who defeated the Road Warriors.

Barbecue: We also have Kaientai, who beat Excellence Inc. last week, against Steven Richards and the newcomer to TNA, Simon Diamond. Richards and Diamond defeated Perry Saturn and Anthony Durante to advance to the quarterfinals.

Vaughn: Also, Haas Of Pain will take on Bas Rutten and Ken Shamrock. Haas Of Pain defeated Super Crazy and Psychosis, while Rutten and Shamrock knocked off Shane Douglas and Christopher Nowinski.

Barbecue: And in our main event, Styles and Lynn will take on Cyrus’ Virus, Scoot Andrews and Jun Akiyama. Akiyama and Andrews defeated Ultimo Dragon and Jushin Liger, while Styles and Lynn beat Vampiro and Gangrel.

The “cha-ching” of a cash register sounds, and classical music plays.

Vaughn: That sound can only mean one thing – Mucho Dinero is on their way to the ring!

Mucho Dinero comes to the ring and takes the microphone from the ring announcer. Kid Kash says they shouldn’t have to get their hands dirty with guys like the Hardcore Connection. He says they don’t usually deal with riff-raff like them. EZ Money says that it doesn’t really matter, they’ll still take care of business, just like they did with those French Canadian glamour boys, the Rougeau Brothers.

The Hardcore Connection comes out, and New Jack already has a microphone. He objects at Kid Kash’s insinuation that Masato Tanaka and Sabu don’t belong in the ring with them. He reminds everyone of their former title histories, which pretty much bores the crowd to tears. Finally, New Jack sends his men into the ring.

(Sabu gained in over from 60 to 61.)

Tag Team Tournament, quarterfinals: The Hardcore Connection (with New Jack) vs. Mucho Dinero: It’s a pier-six brawl to start the match, with The Hardcore Connection using their superior brawling ability to take command. However, the referee gets it down to one-on-one, and some timely cheating by Mucho Dinero allows then to get the upper hand. Mucho Dinero make quick tags while keeping Sabu isolated in the ring. Money draws Tanaka into the ring, and while the referee is getting him back out of the ring, Money and Kash climb opposite turnbuckles, which only draws New Jack up on the ring apron as well, further distracting the referee. Money and Kash jump – double elbow drop! The announcers call that move the Cha-Ching. It fits their gimmick, so I guess I’ll use it too. Kash slides out of the ring as Money calls the ref over to count the pin. Kash celebrates on the floor until the Fabulous Rougeau Brothers come from the back! They jump Kash for a brief two-on-one. Money flies over the top rope, wiping out everyone on the floor. They brawl until more referees and road agents arrive to pull them apart.

Winner: Mucho Dinero

CR: 70

The camera cuts backstage, where Simon Diamond is warming up, until Steven Richards walks in.

Richards: What is up with you and D’Lo Brown?

Diamond: Do you have a problem with my issues with D’Lo Brown? If you do, I can solve your problem real quick.

Richards: No, I just want to find out where your head is at. We have a great shot at advancing in the Tag Team tournament tonight, and I want to make sure you’re focused on Kaientai and not D’Lo Brown.

Diamond: Oh, I see. Simon says you don’t have a problem with me focusing on the wrong thing. I’ll be there for you tonight.

(Steven Richards gained in over from 70 to 73.)

Tag Team Tournament, quarterfinals: Kaientai vs. Steven Richards & Simon Diamond: A surprisingly good match, as Richards and Diamond demonstrate pretty good teamwork for two guys who hadn’t teamed together prior to a week ago. However, before long Kaientai take advantage, and nail the Camel Clutch Dropkick on Richards, to the delight of the fans. Kaientai maintains the advantage until Richards nails TAKA with a Steven Kick, but he is unable to take advantage. Both Richards and TAKA crawl to their corners for the tag. The crowd pops when D’Lo Brown steps through the curtains and joins the announcers at their desk. Diamond spots him, and quickly leaves his corner and charges the announcers’ desk. They brawl as Richards reaches his corner and pulls himself up with the ropes. He spots Diamond brawling with D’Lo and yells at him while TAKA tags in Funaki. Funaki takes advantage of the winded and distracted Richards, and before long he hits a Missile Dropkick to score the pin.

Backstage, Haas Of Pain is watching Kaientai’s celebration on the TV. Vince Russo turns it off and says if Richards and Diamond can control them like that, they’ll have no problems with them next week in advancing to the finals. He says their biggest test will be this week, against Bas Rutten and recent world champion Ken Shamrock. Holly and Haas both assure him, and then they whisper a plan in Russo’s ear. He smiles and they all high-five each other.

Alicia Shamrock leads Bas Rutten and Ken Shamrock to the ring. She gets a microphone and says despite Rutten’s recent Hardcore title match and Ken’s upcoming World title match, they’re 100% focused on winning the match tonight. Any individual honors come second to winning the Tag Team belts at Holiday Hell. Tonight, they take the next step to those belts by defeating Haas Of Pain.

(Bas Rutten gained in over from 66 to 67.)

Tag Team Tournament, quarterfinals: Ken Shamrock & Bas Rutten (with Alicia Shamrock) vs. Haas Of Pain (with Vince Russo): All four men are good technical wrestlers, so this match is more methodical than others have been tonight. In fact, the two teams take turns having the advantage at approximately two-minute intervals, it seems. The announcers realize someone’s missing, and ask where Vince Russo is. They point out that he came out with Haas Of Pain, but the cameraman scans the floor on that side of the ring, finding no one. Alicia suddenly yells, and another camera catches her being pulled under the ring. Ken heard her yell, but now he can’t find her. Jody Fleisch comes out from backstage and points under the ring. Both he and Ken Shamrock crawl under there, leaving Rutten alone to face both Holly and Haas. Suddenly, Russo emerges from under the other side of the ring, with Fleisch right on his heels! He chases Russo around the ring and then back to the dressing rooms. Meanwhile, Ken comes out from under the other side with Alicia, who looks shaken by the whole ordeal. Ken picks her up and carries her backstage. Rutten, with no partner, can’t fight off both members of Haas Of Pain. He eventually falls to the Haascracker, and Haas picks up the win.

Winner: Haas Of Pain

Back in the locker room, Styles and Lynn are watching on the monitor as Holly and Haas both taunt Rutten in the ring. Lynn says he knows they can beat Haas Of Pain even up, but with Russo stirring things up they may need someone to watch their back. Styles slowly nods his head in agreement, and says he thinks he just may know of someone who can help.

Cyrus leads Jun Akiyama and Scoot Andrews to the ring. Apparently, he’s been watching the monitors too, as he tells Styles and Lynn that it’s time for them to turn their TV off and come take their ass-whupping like men.

Tag Team Tournament, quarterfinals: Styles and Lynn vs. Scoot Andrews & Jun Akiyama (with Cyrus): Cyrus talks big, but tonight his guys aren’t able to back it up. That being said, it was a great match. The Virus use their wrestling ability to keep Styles and Lynn on the mat early, but eventually they are able to take to the air, and that’s when they start to dominate the match. All of Cyrus’ yelling and arm-waving can’t help Akiyama, who gets pinned after Lynn hits the Cradle Piledriver.

Winner: Styles and Lynn

MQ: 92

Rating: 6.57

Attendance: 10026

Best segment: Steven Richards and Simon Diamond discuss things (86)

Worst segment: Vince Russo and Haas Of Pain backstage segment; Interview with Alicia Shamrock and Bas Rutten & Ken Shamrock (78)

Best match: Styles and Lynn over Scoot Andrews & Jun Akiyama (83)

Monday, December 22, 2003

EZ Money approached me after the show last Saturday, and told me he thought Masato Tanaka was too stiff in their match. While there have been complaints about him in the past, this is the first one in some time, so I’ll have to check in with him to see what he was thinking.

Again, we made a couple of rare mid-month roster moves yesterday. Sabu and Perry Saturn were both sent to development. With the recent additions to the active roster, we could afford for them to be sent to Japan and work on their charisma.

TNA XCitement

Kavovit: We are just six days away from Holiday Hell, and tonight we have a World title match!

Snake: That’s right. Last week, Low-Ki challenged Ken Shamrock to face him tonight for his obligated rematch for the title.

Kavovit: Also tonight, Jody Fleisch will be taking on Devon Storm in X-division competition. But let’s head to the ring right now for our opening match, EZ Money against Road Warrior Hawk.

EZ Money comes to the ring by himself and takes the microphone from the ring announcer. He then points out that he is out here without his partner tonight, and he challenges Road Warrior Hawk to leave Animal in the dressing room as well.

Road Warrior Hawk vs. EZ Money: Hawk comes to the ring alone as well. Money carries him to a pretty good match, mostly by selling a lot for Hawk. However, Money takes the offensive after about five minutes, and soon thereafter hits the Money Maker for the pin. Surprisingly, nobody ran in on this match – neither Kid Kash, Road Warrior Animal, nor either of the Fabulous Rougeau Brothers.

Winner: EZ Money

CR: 78

(Road Warrior Hawk dropped in over from 81 to 80.)

Backstage, Alicia Shamrock is standing by with Jody Fleisch and Ken Shamrock. Alicia says later tonight Ken will beat Low-Ki to regain the World title, but right now she wants to talk about Jody Fleisch. He’ll be facing Devon Storm in a few minutes, but he’s frustrated about being the forgotten man of the X division. Has it been that long ago that he was the X champion, or that he won the X tournament? Tonight, Fleisch will help remind everyone just how good he really is.

Jody Fleisch (with Alicia Shamrock) vs. Devon Storm: This was a good match, typical of the X division. Fleisch pretty much controls Storm, with only a few exceptions. Any time Storm does seem to have the advantage, Fleisch quickly takes it back. He hits the Phoenix 720 DDT to pick up the win.

Winner: Jody Fleisch

MQ: 84

Low-Ki comes to the ring for his match. I thought the champion was supposed to be introduced last? Oh, he’s got something to say first. Low-Ki says that after he takes care of Ken Shamrock and his contractually mandated return match for the title, he’ll be ready for whoever commissioner Mick Foley can find to put against him this Sunday at Holiday Hell.

NWA World title match: Ken Shamrock (with Alicia Shamrock) vs. Low-Ki ©: The crowd was super hot for this match, and the wrestlers were able to put on a good showing in the ring as well. The action was fast and furious, and the crowd was on their feet the whole time, not really sure which man would win. With the kind of effort they showed in this match, both men deserve to win. Bas Rutten walks to ringside, and Alicia asks him why he’s there. He pretty much ignores her, watching the match intently. About 22 minutes in, the pace picks up, but the referee gets caught out of position. He gets bumped slightly, but enough to bring him to one knee for a moment while he recovers. Shamrock seems to have the upper hand, but Rutten reaches under the ring and pulls out a chair. Shamrock bounces off the ropes, but Rutten nails him with the chair! What is he doing? Low-Ki follows that up with a Ki-Krusher, and the ref is back into the match. Low-Ki covers, and the referee counts to three. Low-Ki is awarded his belt as Rutten gets in the ring with the chair. Low-Ki wisely leaves as Rutten circles Shamrock. He delivers two more shots to his back with the chair, then locks in the Guillotine Choke! Before too long, Jody Fleisch hits the ring, and Rutten takes off.

OR: 94

CR: 97

(Bas Rutten’s turn was complete, and he is now a heel. Bas Rutten gained in over from 67 to 75. The NWA World title gained in image from 89 to 91.)

Rating: 5.89

Attendance: 10016

Best segment: Low-Ki over Ken Shamrock (94)

Worst segment: (tie) Interview with Low-Ki; EZ Money over Road Warrior Hawk (79)

Best match: Low-Ki over Ken Shamrock (94)

Friday, December 26, 2003

Monday’s World title match will probably be a strong candidate for Match Of The Year when voting takes place in a week. The crowd reaction was unbelievable, and Rutten’s turn only made them louder. However, the match overshadowed another poor performance on the microphone by Low-Ki.

Speaking of poor performances on the microphone, there’s an interview segment tonight that I’m not looking forward to. However, after his actions last Monday, I think I need to put Bas Rutten in front of the crowd to explain things. It won’t be pretty, though.

TNA XPlosion

Williams: Hello, Jeff. We’ve got a great show tonight, featuring Sting against Vampiro.

Morales: That’s some main event for tonight. Also, Funaki will take on Michael Modest, and we’ll hear from commissioner Mick Foley a little later.

Williams: Also tonight, Bas Rutten will face Norman Smiley in his first match since turning on Ken Shamrock last Monday, costing him the World title.

Morales: Bas Rutten definitely has some explaining to do. But right now, let’s head to the ring for our opening match.

Funaki vs. Michael Modest: The announcers discuss how wise it was of Funaki to take this match one day before Kaientai’s semifinal match in the Tag Team tournament against Haas Of Pain. They also remind us that it was Kaientai who eliminated Modest and his partner, Donovan Morgan, from the tournament. They proceed to tell us that Morgan is not here tonight. While these fountains of information continue to babble on, Funaki and Modest are having a pretty good match. Modest pretty much controls the match, but eventually the fans’ encouragement helps Funaki take control. At the 11 minute mark, Funaki hits a Tornado DDT and covers to get the pin.

Winner: Funaki

(Funaki gained in over from 69 to 71.)

Modest is stunned by his loss, and it looks like he’s going to take out some revenge on Funaki. However, Nick Dinsmore comes charging in with a baseball bat! He uses it to totally devastate Modest. Finally, the usual gang of referees and road agents separate them, and the medics start tending to Modest. Dinsmore heads to the announcers’ desk.

Dinsmore: In two days, at Holiday Hell, Michael Modest won’t be interfering in my match with Donovan Morgan. I just took care of that potential problem. This Sunday, Donovan Morgan, it’ll just be you and me. We’ll settle things once and for all!

OR: 71

Norman Smiley hits the ring for his match with Bas Rutten with a microphone in his hand. Rutten is a bad man, so Smiley is going to whoop his butt! Then he’s going to do a Big Wiggle. (* yawn *)

Norman Smiley vs. Bas Rutten: The crowd heads for the concession stand, but really the match is good. Rutten dominates the overmatched Englishman, making him tap out to the Guillotine Choke. The referee calls for the bell, but Rutten hangs on to the hold for a few more seconds before finally releasing Smiley.

Winner: Bas Rutten

OR: 74

CR: 67

Rutten signals for the microphone, which can only mean the beginning of the end. His accent is still pretty heavy, but the fans can still understand what he’s trying to say. He brings up his loss in the Hardcore title match at NWA Anniversary. Where was Ken Shamrock to watch his back? Two weeks ago when he got his rematch for the Hardcore title and some deranged fan came out of the stands, where was Ken Shamrock to watch his back? Last week in the Tag Team tournament, Ken Shamrock ran off and left him alone to face both members of Haas Of Pain. Where was Ken Shamrock then? Rutten says he showed Shamrock on Monday what it’s like to not have anyone watch your back in important matches. He is sick and tired of Ken Shamrock and his ugly wife.

OR: 56

(Bas Rutten dropped in over from 75 to 73.)

Commissioner Mick Foley’s music hits, and he gets in the ring with Rutten after getting a microphone for himself. Also, Foley’s got a clipboard.

Foley: Bas Rutten, I get the strong impression you don’t like Ken Shamrock anymore? Well, I’ve talked to Ken this week, and I don’t think he likes you, either. In fact, he asked for a match with you at Holiday Hell. So this Sunday, at the Phillips Arena in Atlanta, Georgia, you will face Ken Shamrock. Have a nice day!

Rutten nods, and then leaves the ring.

Foley: I have another announcement to make regarding Holiday Hell. Last Monday, Low-Ki challenged me to find someone to face him for the World title this Sunday. Well, I didn’t have to look very far. I’ve received several calls from Sting, wanting a shot at the title. You see, he figures he deserves a shot, since he was the last man to beat Low-Ki. So when he made the offer, I called Sting and asked if he wanted the match, and he very quickly accepted. So this Sunday, Low-Ki, you will be defending your World title against Sting. I have one last item for business tonight, and could Simon Diamond please join me in the ring? I know you’re here, Simon.

Diamond’s music plays, and he walks through the curtain and gets in the ring.

Foley: Simon, like you’ve said, you’ve been begging me for an opportunity here in TNA. Now, while I don’t approve of how you worked your way into the Tag Team tournament, I have to admit you’ve shown a lot of potential. So, I thought that the only thing I could do was to go ahead and sign you to a contract. So, here’s your contract. Sign it here.

Diamond looks over the contract, thinking there might be something fishy about it.

Foley: It’s the standard TNA contract, there’s nothing in there to be concerned about.

Diamond finishes looking through the contact, nods his head, and signs it, then hands if back to Foley.

Foley: Simon, welcome to TNA. But as you know, you’ve already made some enemies here. In fact, D’Lo Brown has been pushing for you to be signed. So, Simon, you will face D’Lo Brown at Holiday Hell! But that’s not going to be your first official match in TNA. That will be against Big Vito tonight, right here in Nashville! In fact, it’s going to be right now! Have a nice day!

Diamond picks up the microphone Rutten dropped on his way out as Foley returns backstage. He then tells the crowd what he’s going to do to D’Lo this Sunday, and he’s going to get some practice on Big Vito tonight.

OR: 89

Big Vito vs. Simon Diamond: Diamond shows the talent Mick Foley spoke about in this match, proving his signing won’t be a mistake. The crowd is really into booing Diamond as well. But this one’s basically a squash for Dimond, who finishes off Vito with the Problem Solver.

Winner: Simon Diamond

CR: 80

The camera cuts backstage, where Jerry Lynn is on the telephone and A.J. Styles is pacing back and forth.

Lynn: You will? OK, great. We’ll see you tomorrow.

Lynn hangs up the phone.

Styles: Well?

Lynn: He’s in. He’ll be here tomorrow night.

Styles. Great!

OR: 69

Sting comes to the ring to talk about a variety of subjects. He’s going to beat Low-Ki this Sunday, just like he’s done in the past. He’s going to beat Vampiro tonight, too. In all, it was about the same as his other interviews, but it seems the crowd is starting to notice Sting’s lack of effort in the promos as well.

Sting vs. Vampiro: The announcers tell us that these two have been tag team partners in the past, and they know each other quite well. However, the match is fairly lackluster, and only the fans’ interest in Sting makes it worthwhile. This match is solely to showcase Sting as a World title contender for Sunday, and Vampiro certainly does the job of making Sting look as good as possible. Sting runs through his usual offense, scoring the pinfall after a Scorpion Death Drop.

CR: 86

MQ: 77

Rating: 8.00

Attendance: 10033

Best segment: Mick Foley announces matches for Holiday Hell, signs Simon Diamond to a contract (90)

Worst segment: Interview with Bas Rutten (56)

Best match: Sting over Vampiro (83)

Saturday, December 27, 2003

TNA XHilaration

Barbecue: Pretty good, Ahmed. I’m pumped for tonight’s show. We’ve got the semifinals of the tournament to crown Tag Team champions tonight.

Vaughn: We’ll start with Kaientai taking on Haas Of Pain.

Barbecue: That should be a good match. The other semifinal will feature Styles and Lynn against the surprise team of the tournament, Mucho Dinero.

Vaughn: Mucho Dinero have turned a lot of heads since returning to TNA, and right now I wouldn’t be shocked if they ended up the Tag Team champions tomorrow night.

Barbecue: You wouldn’t?

Vaughn: No.

Barbecue: Well, tonight we have our first singles matches. Super Crazy, who will be challenging Sonny Siaki for the X title tomorrow night, will be in action against Christopher Nowinski.

Vaughn: And in our main event, Jeff Jarrett will face Devon Storm. But right now, Vince Russo’s on his way to the ring, and he’s got Haas Of Pain with him.

Russo gets a microphone before getting in the ring. He says he’s studied the brackets, and he just can’t find anyone left in the tournament that can beat Haas Of Pain. He says there’s no way they’re going to lose to a Sports Entertainment Xtreme reject like TAKA Michinoku and his partner, Funaki.

Tag Team Tournament, semifinals: Kaientai vs. Haas Of Pain (with Vince Russo): Even though Charlie Haas and Crash Holly have been tagging together successfully for the last few months, TAKA Michinoku and Funaki have been partners for many years, and they display a dazzling array of teamwork in the opening minutes of the match that has Haas Of Pain on their heels. Russo gets them together on the floor to regroup, but some well-placed baseball slides by Kaientai knock all three of them down. As Haas Of Pain recovers, Kaientai launches themselves over the top rope, and everyone’s down on the floor. Finally, the referee establishes some control, but it still looks like Kaientai will advance to the finals tomorrow night. But Russo gets up on the apron and distracts TAKA. Haas sneaks up from behind – Haastruction! Haas covers, while Holly prevents Funaki from making the save, and the referee counts the pin.

MQ: 89

Backstage, Styles and Lynn are in their dressing room, watching the first semifinal on the monitor.

Lynn: Damn, did you see that?

Styles: We’ll definitely have to have someone watch our back if we’re going to be taking them on.

Lynn: Wait, we can’t overlook Mucho Dinero. I mean, they beat the Fabulous Rougeau Brothers and they knocked off the Hardcore Connection just to get this far.

Styles: You’re right. I guess it’s time.

They get up and turn the monitor off, and Styles goes over to the restroom door, which is shut. He knocks twice.

Styles: We’re going out for our match now! We’ll be back in a few minutes.

They then leave the dressing room, and the camera zooms in on the restroom door as we hear the toilet flush.

OR: 73

Meanwhile, Mucho Dinero have already made their way to the ring, and they want to talk. They say they’ve already overcome everyone’s expectations but their own, and they still think they’re not done yet, so they plan on beating Styles and Lynn to reach the finals.

Tag Team Tournament, semifinals: Styles and Lynn vs. Mucho Dinero: The announcers discuss who was in the restroom in Styles’ and Lynn’s locker room. They speculate it was the person we saw them talking with on the phone last night. Meanwhile, they’re missing an awesome match between these two teams. Both EZ Money and Kid Kash cheat more than they have up to this point, but obviously they feel the need to resort to these tactics if they’re going to win tonight. Styles and Lynn, on the other hand, are much more experienced as a team, and especially Jerry Lynn has a lot more experience in wrestling in general. But it’s A.J. Styles who starts to put the match away for his team, hitting the Styles Clash on Kash. But before the referee can count the pin, Haas Of Pain hits the ring and attack Styles and Lynn. The ref calls for the bell, awarding the match to Styles and Lynn. Haas Of Pain has the advantage, but suddenly the curtain opens, and it’s Ron Killings! He hits the ring and joins Styles and Lynn. Before long, the three of them have Holly and Haas on the run.

Winner: Styles and Lynn by disqualification

Meanwhile, as Mucho Dinero avoids the confrontation in the ring, out through the curtains comes the Fabulous Rougeau Brothers! As the action in the ring between Styles and Lynn and Haas Of Pain settles down, the action on the floor between the Rougeaus and Mucho Dinero heats up. All the referees, road agents, and even a few wrestlers come from the back to try and restore some order.

Finally, commissioner Mick Foley’s music hits, and he comes out to the announcers’ desk and orders all the fighting to stop, and soon it does.

Foley: Mucho Dinero, Rougeau Brothers, if you two aren’t done with each other, you can settle things between you in your match tomorrow night at Holiday Hell. That’s right, I’ve just made that match because I’m tired of seeing you four brawling with each other when I know you are all capable of so much more in the ring. Now get out of here before I lose my temper and do something I’ll regret.

With the help of all the staff, they return backstage.

Foley: Now, as for you all that are left. First of all, congratulations to both teams for reaching the finals of the Tag Team tournament. But it seems you guys can’t have a match without someone running in on your matches. So tomorrow night’s Tag Team title match between you will take place inside a steel cage! Russo, Killings, you’re welcome to come down to ringside, but now I’ve eliminated the possibility of either of you, or anyone else for that matter, interfering in the match. There will be a winner tomorrow night. And my ruling is final! Have a nice day!

Steve Corino is backstage with Super Crazy. He says that people have been asking him all day why Super Crazy would want to be in a match tonight against Christopher Nowinski when he’s got a X title match tomorrow. Well, they don’t call him Crazy for nothing!

Super Crazy (with Steve Corino) vs. Christopher Nowinski: This one’s all Crazy, who wastes little time with Nowinski. After about six minutes he finishes him off with the Trifecta Moonsault for the pin. But Sonny Siaki runs in and attacks Crazy! He gets a few good blows in before Corino can react. He chases Siaki away, and they talk trash while pointing fingers at each other.

Winner: Super Crazy

Jeff Jarrett comes to the ring with a microphone.

Jarrett: Once again, another pay-per-view will take place without the Chosen One. Why an I constantly being overlooked? Tonight I’ve got a match against Devon Storm, so I’m treating this like my pay-per-view match. But you can bet from now on, ol’ Double J ain’t gonna stand for being passed over time and time again.

Jeff Jarrett vs. Devon Storm: Jarrett does his best to make Storm look good, dragging the match out to nearly 15 minutes. After the way Jody Fleisch dominated Storm earlier this week, it didn’t really do much for Jarrett. But eventually Jarrett hits the Stroke to get the win.

Winner: Jeff Jarrett

Rating: 6.57

Attendance: 10016

Best segment: (tie) Mick Foley makes Tag Team title match a Cage match; Styles and Lynn over Mucho Dinero (84)

Worst segment: Styles and Lynn discuss Haas Of Pain’s match (73)

Best match: Styles and Lynn over Mucho Dinero (84)

Sunday, December 28, 2003

We’ve made it through another month injury-free and trouble-free. I think this month was the best one story-wise among months we’ve bought another promotion.

Just before the show begins, Nick Dinsmore comes to the ring with a microphone. Funny – for someone whose motto is “shut up and wrestle,” he sure does get a lot of time on the stick. Of course, he’s good at it, so maybe there’s something to it. Anyways, he reminds everyone that he took out Michael Modest, assuring that there won’t be any outside interference. It will just be him and Donovan Morgan, once and for all. Tonight, Dinsmore is going to prove he is more excellent than Morgan.

(Nick Dinsmore gained in over from 72 to 74.)

TNA Holiday Hell

Hosts: Jeff Morales and Bart Snake

Morales: Hello, TNA fans, we’re live from Phillips Arena in Atlanta, Georgia, and this is Holiday Hell! I’m Jeff Morales, and with me tonight is Bart Snake. Bart, it’s good to see you.

Snake: I'm glad to be working with you, Jeff. I can’t wait for tonight’s show!

Morales: Our main event tonight features Sting challenging Low-Ki for the World title.

Snake: Low-Ki has been more active in TNA than any World champion in recent months, and after a thrilling title match with Ken Shamrock last Monday, can he withstand the onslaught from Sting?

Morales: Also, Super Crazy will get a shot at the X title when he faces Sonny Siaki.

Snake: Two more members of Sports Entertainment Xtreme, Haas Of Pain, will be facing Styles and Lynn for the Tag Team titles.

Morales: This is the final match of the Tag Team tournament, and commissioner Mick Foley as ruled that it will be a Cage match.

Snake: Also tonight, Ken Shamrock will be seeking revenge on Bas Rutten. Rutten turned his back on Shamrock last Monday, costing him his shot at the World title.

Morales: And Simon Diamond gets his shot at D’Lo Brown. He’s been saying all month that D’Lo doesn’t deserve to be here, so tonight he’ll either prove his point or be proven wrong.

Snake: The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers will be making their first pay-per-view appearance in TNA when they take on Mucho Dinero. These two teams met in the first round of the Tag Team tournament, and it seems they’ve been fighting all month. Perhaps tonight they’ll finish things off between them.

Morales: But our first match features Donovan Morgan and Nick Dinsmore. They’ve been at each other’s necks ever since Dinsmore debuted here in TNA, and tonight they’ll finally determine who the better man is.

Snake: Let’s head to the ring for that match.

Nick Dinsmore vs. Donovan Morgan: The fans are into this one from the beginning, and Dinsmore and Modest provide a very good match for them. Both men wrestle cleanly for the first 10 minutes or so, and quite often they wrestle and counter-wrestle to stalemates. Morgan resorts to the old “thumb to the eye” move to take control for the next few minutes, but the fans rally around Dinsmore as he starts to make the comeback. Dinsmore resorts to brawling, which draws a small pop from the crowd, as it’s the first time “Mr. Wrestling” has shown much in the way of emotion. Finally, Dinsmore puts a German Suplex on Morgan, and the referee counts the pin.

Winner: Nick Dinsmore

CR: 84

(Nick Dinsmore gained in over from 74 to 78. Donovan Morgan gained in over from 79 to 82.)

The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers vs. Mucho Dinero: The crowd heat picks up even more for this match. A group of fans in the crowd are wearing tuxedos – it seems Kid Kash and EZ Money have gained a small following. The Rougeaus want to make this a mat wrestling-oriented match, but Mucho Dinero will have none of it. They use speed and some high-flying moves to dominate the early part of the match, much do the delight of their cheering section. But the experience of the Rougeaus shows up in their manipulation of the referee. Jacques pulls the top rope down just as Kash hits the rope for momentum, and he spills over to the floor. The referee was watching Raymond the whole time, and missed it. Jacques tags in and tries to wrestle Kash, but he’s the best wrestler in the match, so he’s able to reverse Jacques’ hold and tag Money. Money and Jacques proceed to brawl toe-to-toe in the middle of the ring as the fans cheer them on. Raymond tries to come in, but as the referee puts him out, Kash comes into the ring. Cha-Ching! Kash slides back out as the ref spots Money’s cover. Raymond is too slow to react, as Mucho Dinero get the win.

CR: 87

D’Lo Brown vs. Simon Diamond: This is the first meeting between the two, and the first few minutes are spent feeling each other out. Diamond takes advantage of an opportunity, and a Drop Toe Hold puts D’Lo on the mat. While D’Lo is no slouch, Diamond is the better technical wrestler, and the next several minutes he uses a variety of rest holds to maintain control. But D’Lo fights back, and appears to have the advantage. D’Lo swings, but Diamond ducks, and quickly rolls up D’Lo. He’s got a handful of tights, but the referee doesn’t see it as he counts the pin. Diamond quickly leaves the ring before D’Lo can get a hold of him, backing up the ramp while pointing to his head. The announcers tell us that it doesn’t look like we’ve seen the end of this feud.

While the ring crew sets up the cage, Ron Killings is standing by backstage with Styles and Lynn.

Killings: Damn, it’s good to be back in TNA! The Truth is I’ve been gone for too long. I’ve got some unfinished business I came back to take care of, but that can wait until later. The first thing is tonight’s Tag Team title match inside a cage. My two homeys, Jerry Lynn and A.J. Styles, will finally put an end to Haas of Pain. That’s right, they’ll be inside the cage, and I’ll be outside the cage with Vince Russo. Tonight, Styles and Lynn will leave the cage as the new Tag Team champions.

Tag Team Tournament finals: Cage match for the NWA Tag Team titles: Styles and Lynn (with Ron Killings) vs. Haas Of Pain (with Vince Russo): This one was a good match, but not the instant classic we were hoping for. The crowd looks tired of this feud, so maybe it’s a good thing it’s coming to an end. Styles and Lynn get the early advantage, and Holly and Haas have nowhere to go to regroup. They try to climb the cage, but Jerry Lynn and A.J. Styles pull them right back in. The referee has lost all control of this bout, but since commissioner Foley ruled there must be a winner, there’s nothing he can do except try to maintain order and count pinfalls. Russo tries to feed a chain through the fence, but Killings catches him and knocks him flat on his back. He tries to pull the chain out of the ring, but Charlie Haas has the other end of it! Killings pulls as hard as he can, and Haas is slammed into the cage. However, Styles and Lynn aren’t able to take advantage because they’re busy trying to pull Crash Holly down from the top of the cage. He kicks away at them. Lynn goes to deal with Haas, and Styles climbs up beside Holly. They slug it out on top of the cage until Styles falls back down to the ring. Holly stands up and leaps – Crash Landing! Haas has control of Lynn, and he hits the Haastruction. Holly and Haas both climb over the cage, but Killings is waiting for them. But here comes Scott Hall! He hits Killings from behind, allowing Haas and Holly to touch the floor to win the titles. A brief 3-on-1 attack follows until Styles and Lynn climb out of the cage to even the odds, and Sports Entertainment Xtreme retreats to their dressing room.

CR: 85

MQ: 85

(A.J. Styles gained in over from 81 to 83. Jerry Lynn gained in over from 80 to 82. Charlie Haas gained in over from 80 to 84. Crash Holly gained in over from 82 to 86. The NWA Tag Team titles gained in image from 75 to 77.)

Ken Shamrock (with Alicia Shamrock) vs. Bas Rutten: An excellent match, but the fans were drained from the action earlier tonight and took this match as a chance to catch their breath before the other two title matches. Shamrock is upset at Rutten, but Rutten stays calm and uses Shamrock’s aggression against him. Throughout the match, Rutten continued to play mind games with Shamrock, slapping the back of his head when he had him on the mat. Of course, this just made Shamrock angrier, which provided an even bigger advantage for Rutten. But after seven minutes, Rutten misses an elbow drop, and Shamrock quickly takes advantage. He hits the High Angle Belly To Belly Suplex, but instead of going for the pin, he jumps up and yells in the air to no one in particular. He circles Rutten, then applies the Ankle Lock! Rutten quickly taps out, but Shamrock won’t release the hold! Finally, Alicia gets in the ring and convinces Ken to let Rutten go before the referee disqualifies him.

Winner: Ken Shamrock

NWA X title match: Super Crazy (with Steve Corino) vs. Sonny Siaki © (with Vince Russo): Another great match, but the crowd is having a hard time getting into it. There’s enough children in the arena with painted faces to even question what they’re saving their energy for. Siaki tries to finish Crazy off early, hitting the Sonny Side Up in four minutes. But Crazy kicks out at 2 and 7/8s, as the announcers remind us that Crazy just had a match last night and again question the wisdom of that. Crazy eventually fights back and hits the Trifecta Moonsault, but Siaki is able to get his foot on the ropes. Both men throw everything they have at the other, hitting all their moves and finishers on the other, but each is able to escape the pin. The match finally ends when Siaki hits the Siakalypse (for the third time in the match), and covers Crazy. But Russo holds Crazy’s feet so he can’t kick out! The referee never saw Russo’s interference and counts the pin.

CR: 79

NWA World title match: Sting vs. Low-Ki ©: I knew the fans would come around for this match. The fans in Atlanta still love Sting, even though he can’t make it through a 25-minute match without lots of stalling and rest holds. In fact, about seven minutes of the middle of this match was nothing but move No. 193 (arm-BAR). Finally, Sting hits the Stinger Splash, and follows that up with the Scorpion Death Drop. The referee counts the pin, even though Low-Ki has his foot on the ropes. The ref spots this as Sting begins to celebrate, then shakes his head and pulls Sting’s arm down. The fans boo, even though the referee made the proper call. Low-Ki recovers while Sting argues with the referee. When he goes back to Low-Ki, he surprises him with a Ki-Krusher! Low-Ki then applies the Dragon Clutch, and Sting taps out to a loud round of boos from the crowd.

CR: 92

(Low-Ki gained in over from 88 to 90.)

Buy rate: 1.87

Attendance: 20350

Best segment: Low-Ki over Sting (88)

Worst segment: Interview with Ron Killings and Styles and Lynn (82)

Best match: Low-Ki over Sting (88)

Monday, December 29, 2003

I thought last night’s pay-per-view came off pretty well. While there wasn’t a blowaway match, every segment of the show scored a rating between 82 and 88, so I’ve got little to complain about, I guess. Two long-term feuds ended with both the winners and losers getting more over as a result of the feud, so there were some definite dividends. Tonight’s show will wrap up the month and the year, but start laying some groundwork for January.

TNA XCitement

Kavovit: What an exciting show we witnessed last night! Low-Ki and Sonny Siaki successfully defended their titles, and Haas Of Pain won the Tag Team titles.

Snake: But tonight the action picks right up. Last week, we saw EZ Money defeat Road Warrior Hawk in singles action. This week, they’ll meet again in a tag team match, along with their partners. It’s the Road Warriors versus Mucho Dinero.

Kavovit: That should be a good match, but it’s not even our main event! That will feature Jeff Jarrett taking on Shane Douglas.

Snake: But our opening match tonight features two stars from Japan, when Funaki takes on Jun Akiyama. Akiyama is already on his way to the ring with his manager, Cyrus.

Cyrus gets the microphone and points out that no member of the Virus was in a match last night. Well, I hadn’t really noticed, so I guess it didn’t bother me as much as it did him. He says that there should never be any reason for them to be left off of pay-per-view events, and tonight Akiyama’s going to prove it when he beats Funaki.

Funaki vs. Jun Akiyama (with Cyrus): This one is all Akiyama, as he completely dominates his fellow countryman. He signals for Blue Thunder, but when he picks Funaki up, Funaki delivers a couple of punches to Akiyama’s stomach. He grabs Akiyama’s head and climbs to the second turnbuckle. Tornado DDT! Funaki covers and picks up the quick pin. Funaki slides out as Cyrus gets in the ring. He doesn’t seem happy with how Funaki won the match.

Winner: Funaki

MQ: 86

(Funaki gained in over from 71 to 72.)

Mucho Dinero come to the ring with microphones. They say last night they defeated two has-beens when they pinned the Fabulous Rougeau Brothers, and tonight they’re going to beat two more has-beens.

Road Warriors vs. Mucho Dinero: The crowd was much more interested in this match, especially the group of Mucho Dinero fans. They’re easy to spot, since they’re the only ones in the audience wearing suits or tuxedos. The power of the Road Warriors is on full display for a couple of minutes, but a low blow on Hawk behind the referee’s back turns the tide. It’s only a few more minutes later before Mucho Dinero has worn down Hawk enough to hit the Cha-Ching. EZ Money scores the pin while Kid Kash keeps Animal at bay.

On the video screen, we see a bunch of Jeff Jarrett highlights, followed by several Shane Douglas lowlights. Most of those come at the hands of commissioner Mick Foley, who narrates the tape, to set up tonight’s main event.

Jeff Jarrett vs. Shane Douglas: Douglas looks upset as he comes to the ring, obviously unhappy at the video commissioner Foley put together for this match. Jarrett is more focused, and quickly assumes control. Douglas cheats to gain an advantage several times, but each time Jarrett fights back. In the end, Jarrett proves to be too much for Douglas, whom he finishes off with a Stroke.

MQ: 78

Attendance: 10032

Best segment: Video package hyping Jeff Jarrett vs. Shane Douglas (86)

Worst segment: Funaki over Jun Akiyama (78)

Best match: Mucho Dinero over Road Warriors (82)

Thursday, January 1, 2004

And now, news from around the rest of the wrestling industry. Even though business is booming, some companies are still struggling to recover from slow business during the summer months. Stampede Wrestling of Calgary and IWA: Puerto Rico have both gone bankrupt. Again, we scavenge the remains and pluck a few intriguing talents.

Word came down from the top again that it was time to make some more roster cuts. Unlike last time, there weren’t too many difficult decisions. Six wrestlers have now left TNA – Road Warrior Hawk, Road Warrior Animal, Anthony Durante, Damien 666, Chris Chetti, and Gangrel. The Road Warriors as of late have been complaining about their lack of TV time, and their low morale was starting to rub off on others in the locker room. The other four were the least over workers on the active roster, plus they lacked both the talent and charisma we like to feature on our shows.

In other talent news, Abdullah The Butcher and Jackie Fargo have retired this month. Also, Invader #1 retired as well. He spent a couple of months with us after we bought out World Wrestling All Stars last summer, and we wish him well in his retirement.

Here’s what our active roster looks like today (faces in blue, heels in red, tweeners in black, all followed by their current over):

MAIN EVENT

Sting (98)

UPPER MIDCARD

none

MIDCARDERS

Ken Shamrock (90)

TAKA Michinoku (90)

Jody Fleisch (89)

Jeff Jarrett (86)

Raymond Rougeau (86)

Jacques Rougeau Jr. (84)

Super Crazy (84)

A.J. Styles (83)

Big Vito (83)

Masato Tanaka (83)

Jerry Lynn (82)

Psychosis (80)

Nick Dinsmore (78)

D'Lo Brown (77)

Ultimo Dragon (77)

Funaki (72)

Jushin Liger (72)

Norman Smiley (70)

Kid Kash (83)

EZ Money (80)

Brian Lawler (71)

Bill Goldberg (93)

Low-Ki (90)

Scott Hall (88)

Crash Holly (85)

Charlie Haas (84)

Sonny Siaki (84)

Simon Diamond (83)

Donovan Morgan (82)

Jun Akiyama (81)

Scoot Andrews (81)

Shane Douglas (81)

Michael Modest (79)

Johnny Smith (78)

Christopher Nowinski (76)

Devon Storm (76)

Vampiro (76)

Alex Wright (75)

Steven Richards (71)

LOWER MIDCARDERS

Bas Rutten (73)

OPENERS

none

JOBBERS

none

MANAGERS

New Jack (93)

Steve Corino (92)

Ron Killings (89)

Alicia Shamrock (83)

Cyrus (92)

Vince Russo (87)

NON-WRESTLERS

Mick Foley (96)

TAG TEAMS {members} (experience)

Fabulous Rougeau Brothers {Jacques Rougeau Jr. & Raymond Rougeau} (97)

Kaientai {TAKA Michinoku & Funaki} (60)

Excellence Inc. {Michael Modest & Donovan Morgan} (46)

Brothers In Paint {Sting & Vampiro} (30)

Styles and Lynn {A.J. Styles & Jerry Lynn} (23)

Haas Of Pain {Charlie Haas & Crash Holly} (13)

Mucho Dinero {EZ Money & Kid Kash} (5)

TITLES (image) {current holder}

NWA World (91) {Low-Ki}

NWA X (87) {Sonny Siaki}

NWA Tag Team (77) {Haas Of Pain}

Split up Styles & Lynn and give Styles a push!  I am still pissed you neglected him for months!

Let's see. After spending some (much needed) time in development, Styles came right in and went into a program for the X title, then into a feud with Haas Of Pain which saw the return of Jerry Lynn, which just recently ended. You call that neglect?

WOW! I have just spent probably too long catching up on this whole thing and I must say that its amazing. I love it. Nice job!

Thanks!

Friday, January 2, 2004

Already the year has not gotten off to a good start. I received word today that Crash Holly has a ripped bicep and will be out of action until August. Maybe he had a little too much to drink at a New Year’s party? I guess, once again, I’m going to have to search for some new Tag Team champions. Do I give Charlie Haas a new partner, or go in another direction?

TNA XPlosion

Williams: Hello, Jeff. We’ve got a great show tonight, featuring Jerry Lynn against Bill Goldberg in our main event!

Morales: Also, X champion Sonny Siaki will be wrestling Ken Shamrock in a non-title contest.

Williams: And Nick Dinsmore will be facing Alex Wright.

Morales: But let’s get things started with D’Lo Brown taking on Vampiro.

D’Lo Brown comes to the ring with a microphone. He admits Simon Diamond did win on Sunday, but he had to cheat to do it. He promises the next time they meet the outcome will be different.

D’Lo Brown vs. Vampiro: Even though his pre-match interview focused on his match with Simon Diamond last Sunday, he shows quickly that he’s shaken off any mental affects that match may have had, as he focuses on Vampiro’s back early and often. After a few minutes of working it over, D’Lo hits the Sky High to finish him off.

CR: 74

MQ: 83

Nick Dinsmore comes to the ring, and he gets a microphone. He says he proved to Donovan Morgan he’s a better wrestler than him, and so tonight he’s looking for a new challenge. He’s going to beat Alex Wright and once again demonstrate his wrestling ability.

(Nick Dinsmore gained in over from 78 to 81.)

Nick Dinsmore vs. Alex Wright: Dinsmore does exactly what he said, using his wrestling ability to drag a good match out of Wright. Of course, Dinsmore does a lot of selling for Wright, but in the end he locks on the Crossface and Wright taps out.

Winner: Nick Dinsmore

OR: 76

MQ: 80

As Dinsmore celebrates his win, Michael Modest comes running out of the back with a baseball bat. Dinsmore turns, and Modest nails him in the gut! Another swing across Dinsmore’s back sends him to the floor. Modest kicks Dinsmore over next to the steel stairs and takes a big swing at Dinsmore’s head. The sound of the baseball bat striking the stairs reverberates throughout the TNA Asylum as the crowd falls silent, stunned by the brutality of Modest’s attack. Modest swings again, and the announcers cringe at the sound while calling for some assistance. After a third brutal swing at Dinsmore’s head, finally the referees and road agents come out and get between Modest and the prone Dinsmore. The medics quickly check on Dinsmore, as the camera spots the ever-increasing pool of blood around Dinsmore’s head. After a few minutes, the paramedics have a neck brace on Dinsmore as well as some bandages. They strap him to a backboard and place him on a stretcher before wheeling him out and placing him in an ambulance.

While the ring crew gets all the blood cleaned off the floor at ringside, the cameras cut backstage, where we see Sonny Siaki working out with an elastic band. After a few bicep curls, Vince Russo appears and says it’s time for his match.

The ring crew is finishing up as Alicia Shamrock walks to the ring with Ken Shamrock. She gets the microphone from the ring announcer and says that last Sunday Ken proved why people shouldn’t betray him. His victory over Bas Rutten should serve notice to everyone that Ken is a legitimate threat to the World title. While tonight’s match against the X champion, Sonny Siaki, is a non-title match, commissioner Mick Foley should watch how Ken beats Siaki and consider giving him another World title match.

Ken Shamrock (with Alicia Shamrock) vs. Sonny Siaki (with Vince Russo): A very good match between two of the more talented workers in the company. Russo uses all his tricks to help Siaki, but to no avail. Finally, Siaki dips into his arsenal of X-division moves to take the advantage. Siaki then keeps the pace up and keeps control for the rest of the match, which is surprisingly clean. The announcers catch on to this, pointing out that it was Siaki’s athletic ability and not Russo’s cheating that put Siaki in command. Siaki hits the Siakalypse and scores the pinfall.

CR: 85

The cameras cut backstage, where Bill Goldberg is pacing inside his locker room. Cyrus is there, claiming that Jerry Lynn says he isn’t very good and he can beat Goldberg with one hand tied behind his back. The announcers chime in that none of these things Cyrus is saying is true, but it’s obviously getting Goldberg motivated. He bangs his head on a locker, then barges through the door on his way to the ring.

Meanwhile, Ron Killings and Jerry Lynn are already in the ring. Killings says that ever since Lynn came back to TNA, he’s been involved in nothing but tag team matches with A.J. Styles. He wants to prove to everyone that he’s still one of the top singles wrestlers, and he’s going to start right at the top with the unstoppable monster, Bill Goldberg. The Truth is Jerry Lynn is that damn good, and he’s going to prove it tonight when he shocks the world and pins Goldberg.

(Ron Killings gained in over from 89 to 92.)

Jerry Lynn (with Ron Killings) vs. Bill Goldberg (with Cyrus): The first five minutes is nothing but Goldberg, as he completely dominates the smaller Lynn. However, Lynn kicks out of every attempted pin by Goldberg. Goldberg signals for the Spear, but Lynn moves and Goldberg hits the ringpost. How many times does that have to happen before Goldberg learns not to try and Spear someone in the corner? Lynn then uses a hit-and-run style of offense, which keeps the bigger man off balance, until finally Lynn gets Goldberg off his feet with a Springboard Dropkick. Lynn signals for the Cradle Piledriver, and the fans go nuts! Lynn tries, but Goldberg is too big, and Lynn seems to injure his back. Goldberg resumes control for the next couple of minutes before trying another Spear in the corner. (Won’t he ever learn?) Lynn avoids it this time by hopping up to the top turnbuckle, and he quickly hits a Sunset Flip. The referee counts to three! The fans go crazy and Goldberg goes nuts as Lynn slides to the floor. He celebrates his win with Killings as Goldberg yells at the referee and kicks at the ropes. A great match.

Winner: Jerry Lynn

(Bill Goldberg dropped in over from 93 to 91. Jerry Lynn gained in over from 82 to 84.)

Rating: 7.75

Attendance: 10047

Best segment: Interview with Ron Killings and Jerry Lynn (94)

Worst segment: Nick Dinsmore over Alex Wright (76)

Best match: Sonny Siaki over Ken Shamrock (87)

Saturday, January 3, 2004

TNA XHilaration

The show opens with a shot of a limousine pulling up in the parking lot. The chauffeur opens the door, and Jeff Jarrett steps out.

Barbecue: Pretty good, Ahmed. I’m pumped for tonight’s show. We just saw Jeff Jarrett arrive, and he’ll be taking on Alex Wright later tonight.

Vaughn: But that’s not even our main event, because that will see Jody Fleisch taking on Bas Rutten.

Barbecue: About two weeks ago, Rutten turned on his friend, Ken Shamrock, and in doing so Fleisch feels that Rutten turned on him, too.

Vaughn: Also tonight we’ll see Kaientai in action against Excellence Inc. Yesterday, we saw Michael Modest brutally attack Nick Dinsmore.

Barbecue: We haven’t received word from the doctors other than Dinsmore received a serious head injury.

Vaughn: Out thoughts and prayers go out to him. But our first match tonight will see Scoot Andrews taking on a newcomer from Japan, Yuji Nagata.

Barbecue: I’ve done some research on Nagata and found that Nagata is quite a superstar overseas, so getting him in TNA was a major coup for commissioner Mick Foley.

Vaughn: Earlier today we got these words from Cyrus about Andrews’ match later tonight.

On the video screen, Cyrus is with Scoot Andrews. He says it doesn’t matter who Foley brings in, Andrews is ready. He says that Andrews has been around TNA long enough that it’s time to quit playing around and get down to business.

Vince Russo comes to the ring with Scott Hall and Charlie Haas, who is holding both of the Tag Team title belts. Russo tells the crowd that Crash Holly suffered an injury in the Cage match last Sunday, and will be unable to compete for a while. The crowd cheers – that’s cold. However, he claims that since two members of Sports Entertainment Xtreme won the belts, any two members of SEX can defend the belts, so for now Scott Hall will be joining Charlie Haas in Tag Team title matches. With that, Haas hands Hall a belt and they celebrate as the crowd boos.

Backstage, Donovan Morgan is standing by with a microphone, and Michael Modest is there, too. Morgan compliments him on his nice form he demonstrated last night on Nick Dinsmore, calling it “excellent.” Modest chuckles as Morgan says now that they’ve eliminated a big thorn in their side, it’s time to concentrate on the business of winning the Tag Team titles, and tonight they take a step up the ladder when they knock off Kaientai.

Yuji Nagata vs. Scoot Andrews (with Cyrus): Nagata gets little buildup, other than the generic oriental music. Andrews comes out to a round of boos. Even though they’re not too familiar with Nagata and Andrews hasn’t given them much reason to care about him, they’re fairly into this match, and it’s a very good one. Cyrus pretty much stays out of it, only shouting encouragements at Andrews. Andrews does cheat on occasion, but not enough to draw a disqualification. Andrews controls the last couple of minutes before hitting the Forces Of Nature for the pin.

Winner: Scoot Andrews

CR: 72

Jeff Jarrett is backstage with an unnamed interviewer, who asks him about his match tonight against Alex Wright. Instead, Jarrett wants to talk about Low-Ki. He says he’s been waiting for a long time to get another shot at the World title, and he’s to the point he’ll do anything for another chance.

Kaientai vs. Excellence Inc.: Michael Modest comes to the ring with the baseball bat, which has some dried blood on it from Nick Dinsmore. Both TAKA Michinoku and Funaki complain to the referee about it, and he instructs a member of the ring crew to take it back to the locker room. Given the talent of the men involved, it should come as no surprise that this is an “excellent” match. Sorry, bad pun. The crowd was really into it as well, as Modest and Donovan Morgan take turns working over Funaki for most of the match. But, of course, he makes the hot tag to TAKA, and Kaientai takes over. TAKA hits the Michinoku Driver on Modest, and Funaki keeps Morgan from breaking up the pin.

CR: 82

MQ: 93

(Funaki gained in over from 72 to 75.)

Alicia Shamrock is backstage with Jody Fleisch. She says when Bas Rutten turned on Ken Shamrock, he also turned on her and he also turned on Jody Fleisch. After what Ken did to him at Holiday Hell, she thinks he’s gotten his revenge, and tonight Fleisch gets his.

(Alicia Shamrock gained in over from 83 to 87.)

Jeff Jarrett vs. Alex Wright: The crowd could care less about Wright, and it seems as though the hometown hero is no longer the apple of everyone’s eye. The crowd heat is still good, but not like the last match. Jarrett shows his dominance at the beginning and end of the match, with a brief segment in the middle where Wright controlled. After Wright was totally controlled by Nick Dinsmore last night, it makes Jeff Jarrett’s World title threats look silly. Still, like Dinsmore, Jarrett is able to get the win over Wright, when he scores a pinfall after a Stroke.

Commissioner Mick Foley comes out, to the applause of the crowd. He confirms that Crash Holly is injured, but he doesn’t agree with Vince Russo’s plans to just name Charlie Haas and Scott Hall as the Tag Team champions. He says they must first prove worthy of being the champions, and they’ll do so next week on this very program when they’ll be in a Four Corners match for the Tag Team titles. The other three teams will be the other three semifinalists from last month’s Tag Team tournament – Kaientai, Mucho Dinero, and Styles and Lynn.

Jody Fleisch (with Alicia Shamrock) vs. Bas Rutten: The announcers once again talk about Rutten’s history in shootfighting, but then point out that he hasn’t been wrestling very long. Fleisch, on the other hand, has been wrestling for several years despite being the younger man by some 12 years. It’s a great match, but Fleisch pretty much controls the action. Rutten would occasionally cheat using such mixed martial arts moves like a thumb in the eye or a low blow behind the referee’s back. Fleisch always seemed to have a countermove, and when he takes to the air, Rutten has no defense. Fleisch picks up a measure of revenge by scoring the pinfall after a Phoenix 720 DDT.

CR: 76

Rating: 6.04

Attendance: 10043

Best segment: Interview with Alicia Shamrock and Jody Fleisch (91)

Worst segment: Vince Russo declares Charlie Haas and Scott Hall to be the Tag Team champions (77)

Best match: Kaientai over Excellence Inc. (87)

Monday, January 5, 2004

TNA XCitement

Kavovit: What an exciting show we have lined up for tonight! Our main event will see former World champion Ken Shamrock facing the up-and-coming Simon Diamond.

Snake: Also tonight, commissioner Mick Foley is giving us a preview of this Saturday’s Tag Team title match. In six days it’ll be a Four Corners tag team match, but tonight we’ll see A.J. Styles taking on EZ Money.

Kavovit: Styles is in that Tag Team title match you mentioned, along with his partner, Jerry Lynn. Money, of course, will have his partner, Kid Kash, and the other two teams are Kaientai and the team Vince Russo proclaimed to be the Tag Team champions, Charlie Haas and Scott Hall.

Snake: But our opening match tonight features Raymond Rougeau and Scoot Andrews. Let’s head to the ring.

Raymond Rougeau vs. Scoot Andrews (with Cyrus): This one’s a good match, thanks mostly to Andrews. He’s a fine technical wrestler, which helped complement Rougeau’s fading skills. Andrews kept it pretty simple with several holds and stretches before Rougeau made a comeback near the end. He picked the pace up, but that only favored Andrews, who hit the Forces Of Nature to get the pin.

Winner: Scoot Andrews

Backstage, Ron Killings is standing by with A.J. Styles. He tells us the Tag Team titles should have been with Styles and Lynn all along, and this Saturday they’ll get what’s rightfully theirs. Tonight, Styles is going to beat EZ Money just like he did in the semifinals of the Tag Team tournament.

EZ Money comes to the ring and the cameras spot the Mucho Dinero cheering section, which is wearing their usual suits. Money says they were robbed in the Tag Team tournament, and tonight he’s going to do everything in his power to see to it that A.J. Styles doesn’t make it to the Tag Team title match this Saturday.

A.J. Styles (with Ron Killings) vs. EZ Money: The announcers point out that neither Jerry Lynn nor Kid Kash are here tonight. Great back-and-forth action highlights the first ten minutes of the match, but by then it seems Styles is in control. But Money pushes the referee, and while he struggles to keep his balance, Money delivers a low blow to Styles. Killings starts arguing with the referee about Money’s illegal move, and Money reaches into his tights. Styles is up, but Money delivers a knock-out shot! He had a roll of quarters, and now there’s coins all over the ring! The referee turns around and counts the pin. Only then does he notice all the quarters and questions Money, but he tells the referee that his cheering section tossed them into the ring as a symbol of their approval. Can you believe the ref bought that?

Winner: EZ Money

CR: 87

Simon Diamond comes to the ring with a microphone.

Diamond: Ken Shamrock, Simon has a problem with you. Everyone talks about how you’re the world’s most dangerous man, how you’re a former World champion, all your accomplishments in Ultimate Fighting … but they don’t mean a damn thing anymore! Shamrock, you’re living in the past, making a living on your accomplishments of years ago. Simon says you are nothing but an old, washed-up, decrepit has-been! It’s time for you to step aside, Kenny, and make way for the next generation of World champions.

(Simon Diamond gained in over from 83 to 85.)

Ken Shamrock (with Alicia Shamrock) vs. Simon Diamond: Another very good match, which isn’t surprising given who’s involved. Shamrock is obviously upset over Diamond’s pre-match statements, and he seems especially intense tonight. Diamond stays cool, and his calculated moves keep him in command over Shamrock. But the anger, intensity, and aggression of Shamrock can’t be held down indefinitely. He delivers a surprising series of power moves on Diamond, and he seems to be setting him up for the High Angle Belly To Belly Suplex. But Diamond senses this as well, and deftly avoids Shamrock. When he turns around, Diamond hits the Problem Solver out of nowhere, and quickly picks up the pin. Shamrock snaps, but Diamond has escaped the ring before Shamrock could get his hands on him. Alicia gets in the ring to try and calm him down, but he shoves her aside before returning to the dressing room.

Attendance: 10024

Best segment: Interview with Simon Diamond (91)

Worst segment: Scoot Andrews over Raymond Rougeau (71)

Best match: EZ Money over A.J. Styles (80)

Friday, January 9, 2004

We somehow managed to salvage a good show on Monday, even though it was “one of those nights”. We haven’t had one in a while, so it wasn’t totally unexpected. Hopefully, we won’t have another one for a long time.

TNA XPlosion

Williams: Hello, Jeff. We’ve got a great show tonight, featuring a World title match between Low-Ki and Sting!

Morales: Commissioner Mick Foley booked this rematch from Holiday Hell for tonight. Also, Scott Hall will be taking on D’Lo Brown.

Williams: We’ve talked about it before, but with Hall in the Tag Team title match tomorrow night, we have to wonder what Vince Russo is thinking by putting Hall in a match tonight.

Morales: We’ll also see the debut of a highly regarded wrestler from Mexico, Mr. Aguila, as he takes on Jody Fleisch.

Williams: But our opening match features two wrestlers who have debuted in TNA not too long ago, Simon Diamond and Yuji Nagata.

Morales: Diamond is already on his way to the ring, so let’s see what he has to say.

Simon Diamond gets a microphone. He reminds everyone that Yuji Nagata couldn’t cut it in WCW, so he ran back home to Japan. The only reason he was successful over there is because American wrestlers aren’t allowed to get over there. Diamond says no one is going to hold him back tonight, so Nagata is in for a beating like he hasn’t received since he was in WCW.

Yuji Nagata vs. Simon Diamond: Diamond takes the early advantage and maintains command for most of the match. Nagata gets a few hope shots in, but they don’t lead to anything significant. Diamond scores the win after hitting Nagata with the Problem Solver.

After the match, Simon Diamond gets a microphone. He says that now his warm-up match is over, and he’s ready for D’Lo Brown! D’Lo comes running to the ring as the announcers remind us that he’s got a match later tonight. D’Lo and Diamond brawl for a couple of minutes before all the referees and road agents come down and break it up.

Alicia Shamrock comes to the ring with Jody Fleisch. She says Fleisch has been all around the world, wrestling the best competition he can, and there’s no place he’s been as competitive as TNA. She congratulates Mr. Aguila on making it here, but then tells him that tonight he’ll find out whether he’s ready for TNA or not when he faces Fleisch.

Jody Fleisch (with Alicia Shamrock) vs. Mr. Aguila: This one’s another good match, as Aguila proves he belongs in TNA by keeping up with Fleisch. However, that’s about all he is able to do, as Fleisch pretty much controls the match. He hits the Phoenix 720 DDT to get the predictable win over Aguila.

D’Lo Brown comes to the ring with a microphone. He’s sick and tired of Simon Diamond, and he wants to put an end to things once and for all. He wants Diamond at Super Bowl Party ’04 in Houston, Texas.

(D’Lo Brown gained in over from 77 to 78.)

Suddenly, D’Lo is interrupted as Vince Russo comes out with Scott Hall, who’s wearing his Tag Team title belt. Russo (correctly) points out that Super Bowl Party is more than two weeks away, and D’Lo should be more concerned about the challenge he faces tonight.

D’Lo Brown vs. Scott Hall (with Vince Russo): A high-impact match that sees D’Lo take control early, but interference from Russo allows Hall to take control. Hall dominates for the next eight minutes, but the fans rally behind D’Lo, and he makes a comeback, much to Russo’s dismay. D’Lo comes all the way back and seizes control, and shortly thereafter hits a Lo Down to get the pin as the announcers say this match could affect tomorrow’s Tag Team title match. But D’Lo doesn’t get very long to celebrate his win, as Simon Diamond comes to the ring with a chair. He delivers a couple of shots to D’Lo before the usual group of referees and road agents appear and separate them.

(D’Lo Brown gained in over from 78 to 80.)

The camera cuts backstage, where we Sting do about three push-ups before toweling off and leaving the dressing room.

OR: 92

Low-Ki comes to the ring, and he’s got a microphone. He says he proved 12 days ago that Sting is no match for him, and he has no idea why commissioner Foley would give him a rematch. He says it really doesn’t matter, because he’s beaten Sting once, and tonight he’ll do it again.

NWA World title match: Sting vs. Low-Ki ©: The crowd is really into this one, since it’s not very often they get to see pay-per-view main events live in the TNA Asylum anymore. The action goes back and forth for the first ten minutes or so, when Jeff Jarrett wanders out to ringside. He slowly takes a lap around the ring, making sure that both men know he’s there. He continues on to the announcers’ desk, where he joins them on commentary. Both Sting and Low-Ki are distracted by his presence, as the match quality slips noticeably after Jarrett’s arrival. At the 15-minute mark, Low-Ki is solidly in control, and he hits the Ki-Krusher to get the pinfall on Sting. Low-Ki then takes his title belt and climbs the turnbuckle closest to the announcers’ desk. He points at Jarrett, then to the title belt while shaking his head. Jarrett then charges the ring, and a brief brawl with Low-Ki ends when the referees and road agents, who have had a busy night, finally get them separated.

CR: 93

(Low-Ki gained in over from 90 to 92.)

Rating: 7.75

Attendance: 10008

Best segment: Sting prepares for his match (92)

Worst segment: Simon Diamond calls out D’Lo Brown and they brawl (81)

Best match: Low-Ki over Sting (90)

Saturday, January 10, 2004

TNA XHilaration

Barbecue: Pretty good, Ahmed. I’m pumped for tonight’s show. Tonight we have a Four Corner tag match for the Tag Team titles.

Vaughn: Commissioner Mick Foley wasn’t happy that Vince Russo declared Charlie Haas and Scott Hall as the Tag Team champions after Haas’ regular partner, Crash Holly, sustained an injury. So Foley has booked Hall and Haas to defend their titles against Kaientai, Styles and Lynn, and Mucho Dinero.

Barbecue: We’ll be hearing from these teams throughout the show. Also tonight, Ken Shamrock will be in action against Donovan Morgan. Shamrock just hasn’t been the same since is supposed friend, Bas Rutten, turned on him a few weeks ago.

Vaughn: And later on we’ll see Simon Diamond take on Raymond Rougeau. But first, Steven Richards will be taking on Psychosis. Let’s head to the ring for that one.

Psychosis comes out with his manager, Steve Corino, who happens to have a microphone. He says after both his teams lost in the first round of the Tag Team tournament, he’s done a lot of thinking about why that happened, and he’s come to the conclusion that he just had them paired up wrong. Corino says next week on this program he’ll have his new unit ready for some tag team competition, and soon they’ll want a shot at whoever wins the Tag Team titles tonight.

Psychosis (with Steve Corino) vs. Steven Richards: While the announcers speculate which two members of Corino’s stable will be teaming up next week, Psychosis drags a good match out of Richards. The announcers say that for as dominating as Psychosis is tonight in singles competition, he probably won’t be on Corino’s team next week. Psychosis finishes off Richards with a Guillotine Legdrop.

Winner: Psychosis

OR: 69

CR: 71

On the video screen, we see a taped interview with Mucho Dinero from earlier today as they arrive at the TNA Asylum, dressed in Armani suits. They say that they have two goals in tonight’s Tag Team title match: to win the belts (obviously), and to beat up Styles and Lynn.

(EZ Money gained in over from 80 to 82.)

Simon Diamond comes to the ring for his match. He takes the microphone from the ring announcer and starts talking trash about Raymond Rougeau. Simon says it doesn’t matter which Rougeau he has to face tonight – Raymond Rougeau, Jacques Rougeau, Pierre Rougeau, Jean-Paul Levesque Rougeau, or Great Grandpa Francois Rougeau, he’ll beat any of them.

Raymond Rougeau vs. Simon Diamond: Diamond has turned his pre-match interview almost into an art form, as once again he’s managed to get his opponent off his game before the match even starts. Rougeau is visibly upset about what Diamond said about is great grandfather. Who would have guessed? Diamond dominates in another squash match, finishing off Rougeau with little trouble. He gets the pinfall after a Problem Solver.

OR: 72

In another taped interview, Ron Killings says Styles and Lynn should have won the Tag Team titles at Holiday Hell, and tonight they’re going to get what’s coming to them. He then says he’s glad Mucho Dinero is in the match so they can whip them too. The Truth is that when it’s all said and done, Styles and Lynn will be the Tag Team champions.

(Ron Killings gained in over from 92 to 95. A.J. Styles gained in over from 83 to 84.)

Backstage, Alicia Shamrock is massaging Ken Shamrock’s shoulders, telling him she still supports him and will always be there for him, no matter what happens in the ring. The whole time, Ken holds his head, looking down.

Donovan Morgan is in the ring with a microphone. He says once upon a time he had a lot of respect for Ken Shamrock. But now he’s older and wiser, and he sees Shamrock for what he really is. He’s not excellent. In fact, he’s so bogus that even his own friends don’t want anything to do with him. Morgan suggests after he beats him tonight, even his own wife will leave him for someone who’s more “excellent” than him!

Ken Shamrock (with Alicia Shamrock) vs. Donovan Morgan: Morgan violated one of the unwritten rules of wrestling about messing with another man’s woman. Ken is steamed as he walks through the curtain, and doesn’t even wait for the bell to ring before pouncing on Morgan. But after a few minutes, Shamrock calms down a little bit and uses a lot of wrestling holds as opposed to the all-out brawling he did at the start of the match. Morgan eventually has to resort to a low blow to turn the tide, which draws Alicia up on the apron to yell at the referee. Morgan takes the time to walk over to Alicia and tell her she looks “excellent” before grabbing her and planting a kiss on her! Ken sees this, and the anger is rekindled. He charges at Morgan, but he moves out of the way, and Ken knocks Alicia to the floor! Ken holds his head, horrified about what happened to his wife. Morgan quickly gets a roll up on Shamrock and the ref counts the pin. Ken quickly leaves the ring, scoops up Alicia, and carries her back to their dressing room.

CR: 84

MQ: 91

(Donovan Morgan gained in over from 82 to 84.)

Time for the main event, but the self-proclaimed champions come out first. Vince Russo puts over the great teamwork of Charlie Haas and Scott Hall, as the announcers point out that they’ve never teamed up before. Russo says they’ll single-handedly eliminate the other three teams to prove they’re the best tag team in TNA.

NWA Tag Team title match: Four Corners match: Charlie Haas & Scott Hall © (with Vince Russo) vs. Styles and Lynn (with Ron Killings) vs. Kaientai vs. Mucho Dinero: After lengthy introductions for each team, this great match finally gets underway. With so many good wrestlers involved, the action is fast and furious with lots of tags to keep fresh men in the ring. They are able to keep the pace up for ten minutes, until finally, for the first time in the match, a member of Mucho Dinero ends up in the ring with either Styles or Lynn. Jerry Lynn and Kid Kash start slugging it out until Kash hits the Money In The Bank. A.J. Styles breaks up the pin, but EZ Money attacks and the four of them fight out to the floor. Eventually the referee’s count reaches 10, and both teams are counted out. Kaientai watches as Styles and Lynn and Mucho Dinero brawl to the back, and Charlie Haas takes advantage by flipping Funaki over the top rope into the ring and trying for the quick pinfall, but Funaki kicks out. Scott Hall uses his size advantage to control the match, but some quick doubleteaming by Kaientai leaves him on the receiving end of a Camel Clutch/Dropkick combo. Funaki and TAKA Michinoku isolate Hall, and eventually Funaki scores the pin with a Tornado DDT to win the belts.

MQ: 91

(The NWA Tag Team titles have gained in image from 77 to 79.)

Rating: 6.44

Attendance: 10019

Best segment: Interview with Ron Killings and Styles and Lynn (94)

Worst segment: Psychosis over Steven Richards (69)

Best match: (tie) Donovan Morgan over Ken Shamrock; Kaientai wins Four Corners tag match (78)