Sean Lennon

Benji

So I've downloaded Sean Lennon's "Friendly Fire" and am quite enjoying the relaxing tones (how fucking much DOES he sound like his dad?), but he's nothing setting the world on fire. I've just read he used to be in a band I've heard of but never checked out (Cibo Matto) with Noodles from the Gorillaz. So yeah, I'm just really looking for opinions, I'm not looking to compare him to his dad, bar the voice, he's got a nice style but it feels quite samey, is his other album and work with Cibo Matto any different?

Guest Ringley Whitford

I was pimping him about two months ago, but no one listened to me. Except Beatnik and he's strange.

As for Friendly Fire, I like it, but if I listen to it a few times I'd probably have to gouge my eyes out. Into the Sun is fairly samey as well, if not just a tad heavier. It's also got Caribbeanesque songs, for lack of a better word. His voice is also not nearly as good oddly, so IMO Friendly Fire is better. I've not heard his work with Cibo Matto though, other than the fact he was dating one of the chicks.

Sean was an "official" member of Cibo Matto for one album, called Stereo Type A. Before that, he was simply a touring bassist, and as Ringy pointed out, Yuka Honda's boyfriend. She's actually credited as producer on Into the Sun.

Unlike all the celebrity children who only have any level of notoriety because of their parents, I have a feeling that Sean Lennon would actually be more appreciated if his father didn't have such a legacy. The tunes are really well written, I actually like his voice and I don't think they're as pretentious as his father's music got towards the end.

I was pimping him about two months ago, but no one listened to me. Except Beatnik and he's strange.

As for Friendly Fire, I like it, but if I listen to it a few times I'd probably have to gouge my eyes out. Into the Sun is fairly samey as well, if not just a tad heavier. It's also got Caribbeanesque songs, for lack of a better word. His voice is also not nearly as good oddly, so IMO Friendly Fire is better. I've not heard his work with Cibo Matto though, other than the fact he was dating one of the chicks.

You never pimped him to me, you gay.

Sean Lennon really didn't do anything of note in Cibo Matto. Though that doesn't mean you shouldn't check them out because their two records were fantastic.

I'd like to hear his solo work but I haven't gotten the opportunity yet.