Xbox 360 Intercooler

LL!

So, as you all may know, the 360 gets increasingly hot when you play it. Sometimes it worries me. So, I see that Gamestop is offering an Intercooler by Nyko, but the reviews haven't been really good. Many people are saying it kills their system while the ones who defend it tell them that they just didn't plug it in properly.

Should I get this intercooler? Does it work? Is it a waste of 20 bucks?

I don't have a intercooler, but I have a fan stand. I don't use it much, and I've had my 360 on for long periods with no problems.

It all depends where you have the 360 and on what type of surface. I got mine on release and I've never felt it get really hot, it's just two foot away from a radiator as well. When it has been hot it's never been hotter than what my laptop can get to.

If you have it on a wooden or metal stand with plenty of room behind it, it should be fine. If it's on the floor on a carpet or something like that, that's when you'll need an intercooler.

If I did need to buy one though I'd probably hold out for a better one or just stick a mini fan round the back of it.

It all depends where you have the 360 and on what type of surface. I got mine on release and I've never felt it get really hot, it's just two foot away from a radiator as well. When it has been hot it's never been hotter than what my laptop can get to.

If you have it on a wooden or metal stand with plenty of room behind it, it should be fine. If it's on the floor on a carpet or something like that, that's when you'll need an intercooler.

If I did need to buy one though I'd probably hold out for a better one or just stick a mini fan round the back of it.

I had mine on a carpet for 6 months with no heating/cooling issues...though i did kind of take a precaution and actually set it on a magazine on the carpet

Only some 360s have experienced excessive heat production (like...you can see the heatwaves above it as if it were a desert road). Most of those have died, and been sent away and replaced with unfaulty ones. I'm pretty sure it was the only the first batches that had that sort of problem.

And there are two types of disk drive for the 360. There's one that's pretty loud (I have that one) and one that's 'like a dream'.

This is the noisy one that I have, made by Hitachi: http://www.maxconsole.net/content_img/hitachif360.jpg.

This is the quiet one that others have, made by Samsung/Toshiba: http://pictures.xbox-scene.com/xbox360/dvd/sammy-tosh.jpg.

Very easy to tell apart, so before buying your Xbox 360, try to find the Samsung kind. Check the back of the box, even ask to see the drive before you buy it. I sit right next to the 360 console, and it is a fucking annoying constant hum. But no more annoying than the random 'vrrt, vrrt' of a PS2 (which also sits right next to me). Once you get used to the noise though, you don't notice it. It also helps if you have the TV on loud, or some music loud. Which I always do anyways. (¬_¬)

I also sit my 360 on a glass table and if it were too hot, the glass would have at least melted slightly. I'm sure almost all faulty 360s have been sent back by now.

I don't mean MELTED slightly, like in a furnace kind of melt, but there would be marking and stuff on it from being...I dunno what the word is. Melted? Smelted? Charred? Marked in some way by the heat. The glass has like a lamination around it as well, which would melt pretty easily.

My point was, the current 360s do not get very hot. No less than a PC tower, or other consoles. So really shouldn't need any sort of cooler. Just don't block the holes in the casing and it should be fine.