PS3's official release date and prices confirmed for the EU

PkmnTrainerJ

EU Prices

After months of silence regarding the exact launch date, Sony has just announced the official release date for the Playstation 3 in Australia and Europe.

23rd March, 2007

Mark that date in your calendars kiddies, as it's the day that Australia will finally see the third and final competitor in the console war (well, unless Phantom ever materialises). It appears that rumours of the scrapping of the 20GB, budget model for PAL territories were correct - Aussies will only be able to purchase the 60GB, fully-featured model, at a price point of AU$999.95. Following in the footsteps of the US and Japanese launches, the console will ship with a single SIXAXIS controller and a composite cable, along with version 1.5 of the firmware, with 1.6 available for download shortly after. Sony hasn't written off launching the 20GB version though, stating, "Following the launch period we will review the situation and introduce it if there is sufficient demand from consumers."

No exact figures for Australian shelves has been provided, but one million PS3s have been put aside for the PAL market, spanning Australia, Europe, Africa and the Middle East. Thanks to the platform's launch earlier last year in NTSC territories, PAL regions will benefit from a healthier line up of launch titles, with 30 games expected on the 23rd.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't care then why post this :shifty: Someone who cares probably would have posted it eventually. The credit card reader isn't that bad sounding either. If your kid is stealing your credit card that is your own damn fault for leaving it somewhere your kid can get it and for not teaching your kid that stealing is wrong.

With all the stuff in the system the price is reasonable. Still expensive though. I will be getting a PS3 someday this year. Probably when Assassin's Creed or MGS4 comes out.

Edited by CKN

Wow, they REALLY don't care about actually selling any, do they? One million units for two entire continents and the middle east? lol

Mind you, considering you could get an X-Box 360 and a Wii for that price, and still have money left over for at least one game for each, I'm not surprised they're pessimistic.

Edited by Farmer Reil

The credit card reader isn't that bad sounding either.

It's putting people in a frame of mind to pay for Microtransactions. The 360 stores your credit card number to buy MS points, which is bad enough, but now something to swipe your credit card? This is all part of a plan to ship games incomplete and then make it really easy for you to pay for "extra" stuff that should have been put in the game in the first place. It's a double-edged sword because they bait you in with demos and arcade games, which I have no problem paying for, but then they can charge you for map updates, bug fixes and horse armor. MS, Sony, and every publisher that sees this in a good idea can fuck off.

Got both X-Box 360 loved it when I got it played it to death then i bought the PS3 that's the only system i play now i find the games look better on the system(got a couple games for both systems well bought it for one and rented it for the other and i like it on the PS3 much more), but it is an expensive system to buy and i know it sounds like a cliche from all fanboys but yes the blueray is awesome i have 10 blueray movies bought in just 2 weeks and only own one game for the PS3 but i do use it more for Bluerays then i do for game but i find games more enjoyable on it than the 360 as well, but offcourse the 360 still gives me more options right now, but i bought 360 only 6 months after launch and paid $500 plus tax for the premium, and well i got a discount on my PS3 since i friend at walmart so got it for $70 off actually.

Edited by trdavisca

Well if everything goes to plan over this next year I'll be moving to live and work in Japan in spring '08 and will buy a cheaper PS3 out there.

Fun times.

Also, just thought I'd say that I'm still adoring my PSP, especially now I have software to rip my DVDs and transform them onto PSP files so I can watch stuff on the move, as well as listen to music and podcasts, and play GTA: Vice City Stories, with it's fantastic graphics, sound and gameplay on the disgusting Birmingham buses. Oh and apparantly they ARE releasing Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops in the UK too, with the usual European add-ons. So for now, I'm staying in the Sony camp, but I'm always open to suggestions otherwise.

Well if everything goes to plan over this next year I'll be moving to live and work in Japan in spring '08 and will buy a cheaper PS3 out there.

Fun times.

Also, just thought I'd say that I'm still adoring my PSP, especially now I have software to rip my DVDs and transform them onto PSP files so I can watch stuff on the move, as well as listen to music and podcasts, and play GTA: Vice City Stories, with it's fantastic graphics, sound and gameplay on the disgusting Birmingham buses. Oh and apparantly they ARE releasing Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops in the UK too, with the usual European add-ons. So for now, I'm staying in the Sony camp, but I'm always open to suggestions otherwise.

Fun times.

Not sure if you know this but if you ever want a game for psp that is released in Japan and North America before Europe you can import those games and play them on the psp because psp games are region free.

I HAVE heard that while some PSP games ARE region specific, some are indeed region free. It makes me wonder about getting my friends in Japan to send out some cheaper games that have been out for a while now over there. As I'm learning Japanese anyway it'd be a real help to my learning......and gaming :shifty:

Got both X-Box 360 loved it when I got it played it to death then i bought the PS3 that's the only system i play now i find the games look better on the system(got a couple games for both systems well bought it for one and rented it for the other and i like it on the PS3 much more), but it is an expensive system to buy and i know it sounds like a cliche from all fanboys but yes the blueray is awesome i have 10 blueray movies bought in just 2 weeks and only own one game for the PS3 but i do use it more for Bluerays then i do for game but i find games more enjoyable on it than the 360 as well, but offcourse the 360 still gives me more options right now, but i bought 360 only 6 months after launch and paid $500 plus tax for the premium, and well i got a discount on my PS3 since i friend at walmart so got it for $70 off actually.

Do we have a winner for longest sentence in the history of EWB?

Maybe I'm biased, but how can you honestly say the games are more enjoyable on the PS3? It's only been out for two months and what is there to play besides Resistance? Maybe Fight Night Round 3 as that seems to be the only multi-platform game that is best on the PS3? No one can deny an impressive line-up on the way this year for all systems, but right now, is there really anything to play on PS3?

Oh and I'd slow down on the Blu-ray purchases. Just some friendly advice.

I don't get it...they KNOW their biggest problem is with their pricing, yet they eliminate the cheaper model entirely, and bump up the prices for the remaining one?

Way to go Sony. I guess they're really hoping to coast off people like Prototype, because the average gamer would have been alienated completely.