Historical\political movies.

apsham

So today in Political Science we watched part of Thirteen Days (with Kevin Costner, based on the Cuban Missle Crisis) and I realized that I am very interested in history type movies and especially ones that deal with things that we would never usually see. Priority goes to anything political, but just anything would be welcome.

Downfall - Hitler's final days in the bunker, surrounded by absolute chaos, madness and fantasy stories of a potential escape. We see Hitler as this charmer with a mere human side, who loves his dog, and gives compliments to his secretaries. Bruno Ganz pulls it off brilliantly. Hitler is ravaged with Parkinsons disease throughout the film, as evident by his constant hand shakes and movements.

Absolutely great movie.

Edited by Lost Soul

Ah, Downfall. I've been meaning to see that one.

Another political 'movie' I have is The Fog of War. But then, even though they call it a movie, it's really just a feature length interview with Robert McNamara. Still, I love that sort of thing. Doing War Studies might have had something to do with it.

Gangs of New York.

It's maybe not absolutely heavy White House sort of politics, but it does involve posturing from a local political figure as well as spending time on the first drafts for the Civil War. There were heavy political implications involved in that whole situation leading to a draft riot.

Also, you could say the movie focuses on the politics of street life, with one warlord of a gang overseeing the daily operations of an area of New York (the Five Points).

On top of that, Daniel Day Lewis is fucking fantastic in this movie. It's seriously one of my favorite performances in any movie.

Downfall - Hitler's final days in the bunker, surrounded by absolute chaos, madness and fantasy stories of a potential escape. We see Hitler as this charmer with a mere human side, who loves his dog, and gives compliments to his secretaries. Bruno Ganz pulls it off brilliantly. Hitler is ravaged with Parkinsons disease throughout the film, as evident by his constant hand shakes and movements.

Absolutely great movie.