The Wizard of Oz (1939)

GA!

1939 is the one everyone loves and remembers even though there were lesser known ones made in the earlier 1900's.

I love the '39 classic, best movie of all time in my opinion. And anyone who has not seen this movie yet shouldn't even call themselves a human.

I always wanted to see the 80's sequel, "Return To Oz". It's supposed to pretty dark, and more comparable to the original 1900 novel.

Edited by Rashid

The most amazing fact about The Wizard of Oz is that the same year director Victor Fleming released it, he also did Gone with the Wind. Now I know Clint Eastwood did well with the Iwo Jima movies but this is ridiculous. :D

There's something I've always wondered, was Wizard of Oz the first all-colour movie? If not, can someone please tell me what then.

What amazed me the most, was it's overall look. It had full-colour, impressive special effects, great costumes and make-up, it looked 30 years ahead of its time.

There's something I've always wondered, was Wizard of Oz the first all-colour movie? If not, can someone please tell me what then.

What amazed me the most, was it's overall look. It had full-colour, impressive special effects, great costumes and make-up, it looked 30 years ahead of its time.

Well the beginning is in black and white, so if that's what you mean by all-color, then no. But if you mean being full color, like not crappy looking color, then I don't know.

I always wanted to see the 80's sequel, "Return To Oz". It's supposed to pretty dark, and more comparable to the original 1900 novel.

It's good, but definitely different that the 1939 movie. It seems more like a completely separate movie with a few of the same characters than it does a full-blown sequel.

Well the beginning is in black and white, so if that's what you mean by all-color, then no. But if you mean being full color, like not crappy looking color, then I don't know.

When I say "full", I mean the screen is full of color.

Cause when I watched the 1925 Phantom of the Opera, I swore I saw red. I think it was the carpets. But the rest was B+W.

http://members.cox.net/stegokitty/dsotr_pa...technicolor.htm

I loved this movie as a kid, and pretty much still do. I don't list in my list of favorite movies, but I could easily watch and enjoy this movie at any given time. It's a favorite of my grandparents as well, as they love old movies from this era, especially Gone With the Wind. They have an impressive knowledge of the actors of this era, so it's interesting talking to them about the little tidbits about the making of the Wizard of Oz.