What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Watched The Illusionist (2010) [Amazon Prime]. That's the French animated one, not the 2006 one with Ed Norton... Nice, bittersweet little film. The nearly-dialogueless style of storytelling reminded me of Raymond Briggs' Father Christmas to a certain extent. The drawing style is unusual enough (well, amongst modern animated films at least) to keep it interesting to look at throughout. The ending was a bit, I dunno, driifty and mildly depressing...although I suppose I was always expecting that much.

Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies.

If you like the Hobbit films you'll like this. If you hated them, you'll probably hate this. Everyone already knows my feelings on LOTR/The Hobbit, so it goes without saying that I loved it.

The very start of The Book Thief caught me a little off-guard. I mean, come on...

"Hello, here is some narration by someone who is clearly Death. Death was interested in this little girl...btw, whoops her brother's dead."

"Now they have just finished burying her brother. And just as everyone goes to leave, a sinister-looking black book drops down in front of the girl, who quickly picks it up and smuggles it away."

My immediate thought: OH SHIT IT'S THE DEATH NOTE :shifty:

• Like 1

Six years on and I've finally watched Taken. Genuinely fun. Reminded me a fair bit of when I first saw Die Hard in a lot of ways.

I do wonder...

... what became of her poor best friend?

:(

I presumed she was dead when he found her.

• Like 1