What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Yeah, last hour did a decent job of pulling it back. It's still not amazing - specificially it feels bloated and could've had a lot of content cut - but it's gone from a film I'm indifferent about to a film I liked. The scene at the church was fantastic.

I am part way through Friday the 13th (2009) and it is shit. FT13 movies aren't really my bag (though I loved the goofy as all shit Jason X and Freddy Vs Jason), but I hoped they might do something interesting with a reboot, but it's just standard horror boobs, boos and blood.

Django

Waaaaayyyyy too long. But I wish they would've given Sam Jackson's character a little more backstory. I know QT was pitching for realism and all but I really think the N word was massively overused throughout.

I'd say it was still my 4th favourite QT film behind Pulp Fiction, Dogs and Jackie Brown though.

I haven't seen it, but the Honest Trailers for TMNT was pretty great.

tl;dw, it basically lists all of the complaints with the film before having a kid interupt and say "Hey, no, I'm 10, this is awesome" and the argument kind of falls apart. Not to mention the TMNT films from our childhoods were rubbish too.

Like, I'm sure from the trailers that it was garbage, but eh, it's for kids. Sure, it's possible to make a film for kids that's also genuinely good (see: Marvel, Disney), but it's still cool that there's a TMNT for the new generation. I dunno, I was a pretty big TMNT fan as a kid, but I'm pretty okay to let this one go. It can't be worse than the films we had.

A Long Way Down is a rather faithful adaptation to the source material. I enjoyed the book, and the way that it translated to film was brilliant. I was pleasantly surprised at how well Pierce Brosnan worked in his role.

I haven't seen it, but the Honest Trailers for TMNT was pretty great.

tl;dw, it basically lists all of the complaints with the film before having a kid interupt and say "Hey, no, I'm 10, this is awesome" and the argument kind of falls apart. Not to mention the TMNT films from our childhoods were rubbish too.

Like, I'm sure from the trailers that it was garbage, but eh, it's for kids. Sure, it's possible to make a film for kids that's also genuinely good (see: Marvel, Disney), but it's still cool that there's a TMNT for the new generation. I dunno, I was a pretty big TMNT fan as a kid, but I'm pretty okay to let this one go. It can't be worse than the films we had.

Like hell they were. TMNT 1 & 2 still hold up to me to this day. I liked 2 better than 1 because Keno amused me but still.

• Like 1

I hate 'it's a kid's film' as an excuse for shitty writing. If anything, writing something for kids should make you work even harder on it, because as adults we can overlook or make excuses for plot holes and mistakes, but you lose a kid's attention or interest, you're not likely to win it back. Some of the best movies are kids' films that don't insult the audience's intelligence.

• Like 2