What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

The Artist [bBC iPlayer] was good. The Zero Theorum [sky Movies On Demand] was less so. I was prepared for it to be weird (Terry Gilliam film, duh)...but kind of hoped it would weave something more interesting through its weirdness.

Draft Day was a film about American Football that I actually liked. Probably because it had almost no American Football in it.

Locke was...good...but in a rather unsatisfactory way. I am unsure how to explain it better.

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen was most silly. A welcome distraction.

Robot & Frank

This one was good. Cool premise of this aging cat burglar manipulating this robot meant to assist him in cooking, cleaning etc to commit crime, but at the same time going into his decaying mental state and treating the robot as something of a surrogate child after missing out on his own kids upbringing through being in jail. Outside of the robot(s), I liked the tech they had on display. Nothing outrageous and in your face, just subtle moments of using these wafer thing, transparent mobile phones. Kinda novel too to see James Marsden in something other than X-Men (gonna have to check him out in the Westworld TV show this year though), even if he's as whiny as Cyclops. Also served to remind me that I need to check out Frank Langella's turn as Dracula. That thing has Donald Pleasance in it and Laurence Olivier!

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie

I remember going to the cinema for this one. Looking at it some 20 years later, it's about as dumb as you'd expect. Ivan Ooze, to say he's built up as the most evil villain in the universe, is pretty clownish with his jokes and dated pop culture references to the Brady Bunch reunion. Not that the Rangers dialogue ever seems to be much more than corny one liners. The fight scenes are as goofy as I can remember from the show, except there it's just over the top kung fu that ends up with the putties falling over and the big monsters being defeated in an orgy of explosions that would give Michael Bay a stiffy but there was one instance here of a monster being cut in two right down the middle. Weird to have all this licensed music in here too. Van Halen? Devo? Shampoo? Things are pretty much entirely downhill after the intro of the Rangers sky diving set to RHCP's Higher Ground.

As an aside, previously when I've looked at Power Rangers on Netflix I've seen seasons 1, 2, 3 and 18. This always confused me, like, there was no way they made 18 seasons of that show and Netflix just didn't have the rights to 4-17. Turns out they went back and messed around with the first season of the show and put in a new logo and comic book style graphics. Which, if it was just the intro then it wouldn't be a problem but it even comes up in the middle of the show and it's really distracting.

Cars 2

Thus continues my run of being perhaps the only person around who doesn't hate Larry the Cable Guy, I kinda liked Mater being this inadvertent spy, even if 'leaking oil' being a euphemism for pissing himself is kinda gross and weird though. The whole spy thing is a little confusing at first though because I thought that was gonna be some sort of 'movie with a movie' thing where it'd cut to Mater and McQueen watching it but it just cuts away and doesn't explain it for a while. I thought Finn McMissile was someone doing a Michael Caine impersonation at first too.

Pee Wee's Big Adventure

Was kinda dissapointed in this one. I'd made previous attempts to try and watch it but had trouble finding it so I think it sort of started to build up my expectations. Then I checked Netflix again on a whim and it was there. Since it's a road movie and you're picking up and dropping a lot of different characters, I didn't feel all of them worked. Feel like there should have been more of that Francis guy. He's set up as the villain and then is just dropped until the sweep through all the cast right at the end. Some highlights in there though, like the absurd image of a speed boat pulling Santa's sled that is being piloted by a man in a Godzilla costume.

Hard Boiled

I never realised that the tropes of 'renegade cop angers boss' and 'only 2 days left til retirement' were so international. Granted, Tequila's partner isn't actually retiring at the start of the movie but we still go from a discussion on giving it all up and settling down somewhere to dead in roughly five minutes. Out of all the action, I think my highlight would be Mad Dog (as IMDB lists him, the subtitles has different names for pretty much everyone) ramping into the back of a truck on his dirt bike and just splattering someone. He's pretty great all round though, like when he casually throws some grenades into an office and when Teqiulla just starts smacking the shit out of his eye wound. Even if it is just rampant violence, gun blasts and explosions at the climax of the film, Jimmy still has the chance to film nerd it up and talk about the infamous 'one long take' scene which I think Wiki says actually does have some small edits in there.

The Avengers

Very cool to see all these guys (and gal) come together and I loved all the little moments like the guy actually playing Galaga and it not just being some Stark quip, Captain America and Loki fighting set to your standard orchestrated soundtrack and then Iron Man comes in blaring AC/DC, and of course the hilarity of Loki getting the shit kicked out of him by Hulk. Loki is the part of the film I find odd though as, whilst he does kill all those people at the start and turn people to his side, he comes across as this petulant younger sibling just acting out. I guess I was expecting this huge threat but his invading force is never really established and he just allows himself to be captured, granted he does so to try and get the team to butt heads. Is it odd to look upon this one in the same vein as some of the other super hero 'first' movies that get the origins out of the way? Seems a bit weird to say that given we've had all these individual movies to build up to it but now we've got the team established, they've got their bickering out of their systems and we've established the potential for these other worldly threats, we can can go on and get a more focused villain or two.

• Like 2