What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Yeah, season 1 and season 2 almost feel like two completely different series. They basically changed everything after the response season 1 got, including all the characters' personalities. I want to say the writers' strike had something to do with it, but I think that happened before the series debuted.

Yeah, season 1 and season 2 almost feel like two completely different series. They basically changed everything after the response season 1 got, including all the characters' personalities. I want to say the writers' strike had something to do with it, but I think that happened before the series debuted.

I marathoned 1 and 2 when BBC4 picked them up and ran them together, to be honest I couldn't spot much of a difference. Both brilliant and well worth watching though.

Gravity - MAJOR spoiler within...

Great direction, great script, and I imagine 3D would have made it even more visually pleasing (a rare thing for me to say), but holy Christ, Sandra Bullock for an hour by herself is my idea of film hell. I was hoping Clooney would even her awfulness out, but no, it's her and her shitty acting for an hour. With nearly any other actor this could have been amazing, but her... just... eurgh.

As far as your standard "1970s/80s US military comedies that are actually identical to cliché college/fraternity comedies only with uniforms" films go, Stripes (1981) [uK Netflix] is a pretty good one. It at least doesn't descend into a bemusing American Football finale like MASH did.

The Tale of Princess Kaguya was fucking amazing. Absolutely gorgeous, the music was wonderful and it's just such a lovely folk story. I think it's instantly one of my favourites from Ghibli.

EDIT: After thinking on this for a few minutes, I think it's the best animated film of 2014. Might need to rewatch LEGO Movie, but man, right now I just can't think of anything else.