What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

About 30 seconds in a decent bit with Philip Schofield, plus a quick bit at the end. It genuinely is Bo Selecta with a different name and just like that it's hit and miss but fast moving enough that the naff bits don't matter. The two seconds of Jeff Brazier had me in stitches, plus John Thomson's Si from the Hairy Bikers is amazing.

• Like 1

The Goonies

After Stand By Me I was kinda expecting these kids to be that same kind of 'mature' that extends to copious amounts of cursing and smoking, and you get that a little with them being smart alecy at the start and ripping on each other but they're otherwise massively scared throughout. Weird how the actress who played the mother died when she was only 58, she looks way older than that, I guess she did have some tough illnesses to deal with though.

Brave

More Pixar! Having the red head girl works well, really stands out amongst all the greens of the outside areas and the more greyish look of the castle. Liked all the feuding clans and Billy Connolly as the King trying to hold everything together as this powerful leader when really it's his wife wearing the trousers and he has pretty much no idea what to do or say. Speaking of wearing trousers, probably could have done without seeing the mass of bobbing man ass in that one scene. :shifty:

Ted

It must be good being Seth Macfarlane's mate. I mean, he got everyone in on this bar like Seth Green, I think. I mean, just looking at some of the fringe characters and even they are Family Guy writers. Creepy father and son bit came a bit out of nowhere though but I guess they thought they couldn't have Wahlberg and Ted just shooting the shit and smoking weed for an hour and a half. I was pretty content with that though, was amusing.

Caddyshack

Ehhhhhhh? I liked Ty Webb, especially his interactions with Carl Spackler as he inadvertently ends up playing through his shack, but everyone else is just kinda annoying. That Maggie chick for her accent and Rodney Dangerfield for his non stop assault of comedy. It's weird caus I guess he's meant to be the one to get behind as he shows up this fuddy duddy type but everytime he's on screen it's just these constant cruel one liners.

My Name is Paul Heyman

Outside of the usual "HIDE THE NEGATIVES, ACCENTUATE THE POSITIVES" stuff, it's interesting to hear some stuff I wasn't aware on like his teen years setting up his own business, bluffing his way into production meetings, stumbling into work as the head photographer for that night club or whatever the fuck etc etc. That and some of the more recent stuff like his outside interests beyond representing BUH-ROCK LEZ-NARR, even if his business partner looks a bit like an older version of that crazy pink haired Dean Ambrose that appeared on Heat or Velocity.

Batman

Really didn't like this. It's weird that people complain about the Schumacher Batman's for being goofy, and then you have all 60's stuff for being campy but Jack Nicholson as the Joker is like the goofiest thing ever. No no, this is a serious Batman in which he flies in his plane, dead set on gunning down the Joker but somehow misses despite being locked on and firing everything he had at him, and then Joker just pulls out a pistol with the world's longest barrel and shoots him down with one hit. WTF? Thought the start was kinda cute, teasing the incident with Bruce Wayne and his parents but no it's just someone else, that flashback is coming later. Kinda don't give two shits about watching Returns now. Might just jump straight onto Phantasm.

Ooh, forgot to say that Gotham City looks nice. Well, it doesn't look nice, it looks imposing as the streets look really narrow with this massive buildings seemingly towering everything yet encroaching on each other. Makes things feel claustrophobic. Also forgot to say how funny it is to see Joker try and kill everyone with this gas and then five minutes later everyone is still around trying to get money as if nothing happened. These must be desperate times.

• Like 1

Man, Inherent Vice was all kinds of fun. I don't think it's for everybody, though, but if you like Paul Thomas Anderson films I'm pretty sure you'd like this one.

Hopefully seeing that this weekend, screenings down by me seem extremely limited so I might end up missing it. Glad there's a good review though, looked fun from the advert.

The famous car chase in Bullitt (1968) is rather good, although it would be easy to be underwhelmed by it if you go in expecting the crazy razzmatazz that are obligatory in most modern car chases. I still prefer Blues Brothers' silliness, mind. :shifty:

Most of the rest of the film is a bit eh. The story itself is fairly basic (not inherently a bad thing), but what mainly pads this out is little more than long periods of LOOK AT STEVE MCQUEEN SQUINTING IN A MEANINGFUL WAY, HE'S SO COOL. Not enough to hang a movie on, for me.

Journey To Italy was a really interesting character study, and completely different to the clips of the War Trilogy I'd seen from Rossellini. It kind of makes me want to watch them, but after this, and Movern Callar, it just makes me wish more English-language speaking films would be set abroad. There are some stunning locations which add a lot to the feel of the film.