(Un)Official Metal Thread

RKOwnage

Blaze Bayley

edit: beaten to it :ohwell:

Edited by Slic_Ric

Also, how do you guys feel about bands like Dying Fetus? I like Dying Fetus quite a bit, but don't particularly enjoy the death metal genre as a whole. One band that seems to fit in that mold that I do like is a group called Destroyer 666 from Australia.

Guest :shifty:

First of all, top 3 are Dream Theater, Chimaira, and Iron Maiden.

Anyone heard any of the new Dream Theater? I was kind of worried after I heard that it was going to be the 'heaviest' album they've put out (I'm not overly fond of the heavier Dream Theater stuff, well I am, but I prefer the "Metropolis Pt 2" kind of stuff), but the two songs I've heard have both been pretty good. So I'm pretty psyched.

I agree with Yuan. Systematic Chaos is great other than Repentance, the boring 10-minute AA track. I particularly like the first two tracks (In the Presence of Enemies, pt. 1 and Forsaken) but I still haven't heard In the Presence of Enemies pt 2.

1. Dream Theater

2. Sigh

3. Ulver. Or Manticora. Perhaps Arcturus? I dunno - it changes around a lot.

I haven't heard the new Dream Theater album yet, but I think the first single kicks a decent amount of rear end, and I'm very much looking forward to when it comes out. It'll probably be the first album I've bought in about a year or so, I must shamefully admit.

Anyone read any other metal books?

I own both "Choosing Death: The Impropable History Of Grindcore And Death Metal" and "Lords Of Chaos: The Rise Of The Satanic Metal Underground". It's not a real brain teaser to figure what they are about :shifty: Anyway, I personally really recommend "Choosing Death", since it is a very detailed book of the history and make-up of the two genres covered and plays out very much like a "Who's Who" of 80's & 90's extreme metal. "Lords Of Chaos" is a bit more sensationalized due to the subject matter and from time to time strays to the path of yellow journalism, but there are some great interviews and insights into the early black metal scene, as well as a lot of talk about the symbols and symbolisms used in BM and their history.

I've been meaning to pick those both up...you've re-affirmed my want for them.

Guest mAXi

Pretty close to Dying Fetus would be Gorgasm. They play in almost the same mold, but Gorgasm's slightly more grind, their drummer is inhuman, and they don't have a fucking wigger for a frontman. Same for Misery Index. What turns me off Dying Fetus is John Gallagher.

Definitely hard rock, but if it were the 80's, they'd probably considered metal, which is probably why they call themselves such, because they're old school guys, but by today's standards, they're definitely hard rock.

First of all, the top three would be:

1). Megadeth

2). Motley Crue

3). Iron Maiden

I'm a huge metal fan. Thrash is definitely a preference. While I love stuff like Anthrax and Sepultura, lately I'm leaning toward more classic heavy metal (i.e. the stuff that influenced 80's thrash) such as Mercyful Fate, Diamond Head and Discharge.

And for VerbalPuke, I know you're already aware of these, but for a kind of thrashy/punky twist, definitely check out Anti-Nowhere League. Fucking great punk band.