(Un)Official Metal Thread

RKOwnage

On 9/7/2017 at 07:13, Skummy said:

I picked up the new Motorhead covers compilation - very excitedly, because it had their cover of "Rockaway Beach" on it, which I've been after for years. Unfortunately, it's shit. Both that particular song and the majority of the album.

The only genuinely good covers on there are their versions of Cat Scratch Fever and Breaking The Law - the latter I probably actually prefer to the original. Most of them, though, just suffer from them not doing enough to change the song - I don't want to hear Motorhead play "Rockaway Beach" sounding like a pub rock Ramones tribute band with Lemmy on vocals, I want to hear them play it as if it were a Motorhead song.

I'd never really thought about it with any of their covers before, but they never really took any risks and tried to change things up, they just played straight cover versions, and that kinda sucks. They do a version of Bowie's "Heroes", which has the tiniest glimmer of promise, but is let down by them trying to play it too close to the original, rather than having more of their own take on it. It's a damn shame.

I wonder how many people's preferences re: cover songs are like that, or the opposite. I'm a lot like you in that when someone covers a song, I want to see them put their own spin on it - be it for better or worse. My brother, on the other hand, hates that. He owns the Between The Buried And Me cover album and it's a favorite of his because according to him, they play every song 100% straight as close as possible to the original.

On 9/7/2017 at 08:13, Skummy said:

I picked up the new Motorhead covers compilation - very excitedly, because it had their cover of "Rockaway Beach" on it, which I've been after for years. Unfortunately, it's shit. Both that particular song and the majority of the album.

The only genuinely good covers on there are their versions of Cat Scratch Fever and Breaking The Law - the latter I probably actually prefer to the original. Most of them, though, just suffer from them not doing enough to change the song - I don't want to hear Motorhead play "Rockaway Beach" sounding like a pub rock Ramones tribute band with Lemmy on vocals, I want to hear them play it as if it were a Motorhead song.

I'd never really thought about it with any of their covers before, but they never really took any risks and tried to change things up, they just played straight cover versions, and that kinda sucks. They do a version of Bowie's "Heroes", which has the tiniest glimmer of promise, but is let down by them trying to play it too close to the original, rather than having more of their own take on it. It's a damn shame.

I'll have to check this out. I always liked the God Save the Queen cover. 

Probably their best cover is if ZZ Tops Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers. 

Its an early cover, meaning early Motorhead before they really got heavy. 

• 1 month later...

A while back I posted about Helloween reuniting with former vocalis Michael Kiske and former guitarist/vocalist Kai Hansen for a best-of tour named "Pumpkins United". The tour will start in two days in Mexico and to promote it the band has recorde a song titled "Pumpkins United". You can listen to it on their official Youtube channel here:

It's feels insane to hear Hansen, Deris and Kiske on the same song after all these years.

In other news, Black Country Communion (the band by vocalist/bassist Glenn Hughes (ex-Black Sabbath, ex-Deep Purple), renowned Blues guitarist Joe Bonamassa, drummer Jason Bonham (son of Led Zepplin drummer John Bonham) and keyboardist Derek Sherinian (ex-Dream Theater, ex-Yngwie Malmsteen, ex-Alice Cooper)) have reunited and released a new album named "BCCIV". It kicks ass! I'm posting this here since it is kinda Metal-related and because we don't have a dedicated Hard Rock thread.

And last but not least:

Remember Europe? The 80s one-hit-wonder Hair Metal band known for their song "The Final Countdown"? They split up in the early 90s but reunited in 2003 and have been killing it recently. They will release their 11th album titled "Walk The Earth" this friday and judgning by the two songs they have release on youtube it is going to be awesome! I'm posting this here for the same reason as the BCC track: Metal-related and no Hard Rock thread.

These guys are fucking awesome

I have been listening to an insane amount of music of late. I can vouch for that BCC album @Hellraiser mentioned above - it's really flipping good. 

I'm currently listening to Mirror Reaper by Bell Witch. It is a single 83 minute song that I can best describe as somewhat melodic funeral doom. 

I'll edit it more recommendations at home later. 

• 3 weeks later...

Chuck Mosley passed away. He was the original vocalist for Faith No More.

After a long period of sobriety, Charles Henry Mosley III lost his life, on November 9th, 2017, due to the disease of addiction. We’re sharing the manner in which he passed, in the hopes that it might serve as a warning or wake up call or beacon to anyone else struggling to fight for sobriety. He is survived by long-term partner Pip Logan, two daughters, Erica and Sophie and his grandson Wolfgang Logan Mosley. The family will be accepting donations for funeral expenses. Details to follow when arranged.

• 2 months later...

"Fast" Eddie Clarke, former Motorhead guitarist, has passed away. With Lemmy, Phil and Eddie all gone, that's no one left from what I'd consider the definitive Motorhead line-up.

Mad that in just over two years, all three of the quintessential Motorhead line up have left us. Motorhead were one of those bands it just felt like would all be around forever, but reality catches us up. Some of the songs those three came up with in that classic period are among my favourite by any band ever.

• Like 1

On January 11, 2018 at 18:51, lari said:

Well, the three of them are back together again.

The three of them and Würzel as well if the feel like jamming out as a four-piece. 

Has anyone here listened to Eddie Clarke's post-Motörhead band Fastway? Are they worth checking out? And if so, with which album should I start?

In other sad Heavy Metal news: Babymetal guitarist Mikio Fujioka passed away at age 36 after reportedly falling from a observation deck. 

Source: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/babymetal-guitarist-mikio-fujioka-dies-at-36/

Also famed Rock and Metal producer Chris Tsangarides passed away at age 61 after battling pneumonia and heart failure. He produced albums such as Judas Priest's Painkiller,  Thin Lizzy's "Renegade" and "Thunder And Lightning", several album of the cult heavy metal band Anvil (including "Metal On Metal"), several Gary Moore solo albums (including his solo debut "Back On The Streets"), Black Sabbath's "Eternal Idol", several albums for veteran Japanese metal band Anthem, several albums of guitar virtuoso Yngwie Malmsteen in the mid-to-late 90s, Angra's "Fireworks" as well as Bruce Dickinson's first solo Album "Tattooed Millionaire".

Source: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/legendary-rock-producer-chris-tsangarides-dead-at-61/

Edited by Hellraiser

• 2 weeks later...

I caught Slayer live twice. Late 90's/early 00's. The first one was maybe a 4,000 person venue (ice hall), and it was cool though I didn't know their material that well.

The second time was in a festival and I was already a semi-big fan (seems like I never took the final step into total fandom). That was the God Hates Us All tour. I got the whole experience, moshpit and tour t-shirt and all. 

I always liked a couple other thrash bands a little better (eg. Testament, Annihilator), but I do own 4 of their CD's and still think of them fondly. I think they've contributed a lot, and eventhough "farewell tour" means nothing nowadays, I think that means I won't be having much to do with them anymore, as I haven't bought a CD of theirs in ages anyway. I guess they keep recording, maybe.

• 3 weeks later...

TL;DR : Judas Priest guitarist Glenn Tipton was diagnosed with Parkinson's 10 years ago. He kept going with Priest but the sickness has progressed to the point where he won't be able to go on tour with the band anymore. He will still be involved with the band in the future though. Glenn himself has requested that Andy Sneap (producer of their upcoming album "Firepower" and guitarist in Sabbat and Hell) to take over for him on their upcoming tour.

Yeah, that sucks. Parkinson's will get you eventually, but maybe there's some more songwriting left in him. I wouldn't mind Priest continuing another decade with Faulkner/Sneap playing and Tipton writing. 

Hell, bring back Owens if need be. A new generation of Judas Priest. I don't want the band to die.

I don't know about that. Tipton's and Downing's guitar playing was such an integral part of the Priest sound. Downing leaving the band an tearing apart the dream team was already bad enough. And now Tipton is effectively gone too? With all due respect to Halford, Hill, Travis and Faulkner and their contributions to the band, but I think the should seriously consider calling it a day after the end of the tour if they can't somehow convince Downing to rejoin them.