(Un)Official Metal Thread

RKOwnage

On 1/14/2018 at 08:35, Hellraiser said:

Has anyone here listened to Eddie Clarke's post-Motörhead band Fastway? Are they worth checking out? And if so, with which album should I start?

Yes and yes to the first two questions. But I've only heard their first two albums, and I like the second better overall. Keep in the mind the lead vocalist on the first four albums is Dave King, better known for the band Flogging Molly.

• 2 weeks later...

Bloodstock is looking tasty this year. 

Announced so far for the main stage:

Friday
JUDAS PRIEST
Emperor
Kamelot
Suicidal Tendencies
Bloodbath
Wednesday 13
Memoriam

Saturday
GOJIRA
Alestorm
Combichrist
Venom Inc
SepticFlesh
Orden Ogan

Sunday
NIGHTWISH
At The Gates
Devildriver
Mr. Big
Jasta
Fozzy
Amaranthe

Doro, Orphaned Land and Watain are headlining the second stage too. 

• 3 weeks later...

Firepower is indeed a very good album. Maybe a bit too long. I think you could easily cut the last two tracks without loosing anything of importance. But other than that I'm positively surprised. I didn't think they had another good album in them after the borefest that was Redeemer Of Souls. 

• 3 weeks later...

It's good, but I'm not sure I'd say album of the year candidate. Not all metal releases, but - looking at what I've listened to so far this year - the albums from The Men That Will Not Be Blamed For Nothing, Between the Buried and Me, Stupid Cosmonaut, In Vain, Oceans of Slumber, King Buffalo, Tribulation and Earthless stand out more tbh. I'd probably have the JP release in the next tier down. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I can't say that I dig the new Babymetal, tbh. The video's neat but the song is.. eh. It's mediocre. I'm still way more fond of "Gimme Chocolate!!" and "Doki Doki Morning". 

In unrelated news, re-discovering how much I like Sheavy. 

I remember back in the day there used to be a disclaimer on the Black Sabbath website because so many people wrote in to say that "Electric Sleep" was a Sabbath song, and they finally had to say "Hey guys, no, Electric Sleep is by this cool band Sheavy, check them out, it's not Black Sabbath though".

That's pretty cool, never heard it before. Can definitely see how people could mistake it for early Sabbath.

I always point to the album "Satori" by Flower Travellin' Band as the best album Black Sabbath never recorded;

They were also, as far as anyone can tell, the first band to cover Sabbath - their second album features a cover of the song "Black Sabbath", released the same year as the original version.

My favourite "non-existent Black Sabbath songs" factoid, though, is that North American releases of Sabbath albums used to have phantom tracks. If a song was deemed "too long", it would be split in two, or given two titles, on the track listing, as the label were worried that the record-buying public would be put off by an album only having 8 tracks - so on the original US release of Paranoid, War Pigs was named "War Pigs/Luke's Wall", and Fairies Wear Boots was "Jack The Stripper/Fairies Wear Boots".

Similarly, Master of Reality was upped from 8 tracks to 11, though I think the practice stopped there. Apparently it baffled UK amateur record collectors who had yet to get their hands on a North American release, as it appeared that there were these mysterious extra tracks that only the Americans were getting.

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd drop in with a Bloodstock update, as the line-up for the top two stages has been fully confirmed (spoilered for size):

Spoiler

Thursday

Sophie Lancaster Stage
ARKONA
Bloodshot Dawn
Skiltron
Fire Red Empress
Hundred Year Old Man

Friday

Ronnie James Dio Stage
JUDAS PRIEST
Emperor
Kamelot
Suicidal Tendancies
Bloodbath
Wednesday 13
Memoriam
Onslaught
Feed the Rhino

Sophie Lancaster Stage
DORO
Bleed From Within
Lovebites
Ingested
De Profundis
Reprisal
Sodomized Cadavar
Godthrymm
Fahran
Mortishead
Deity's Muse

Saturday

Ronnie James Dio Stage
GOJIRA
Cannibal Corpse 
Alestorm
Combichrist
Venom Inc
Septicflesh
Orden Ogan
Power Trip
Nailed to Obscurity

Sophie Lancaster Stage
ORPHANED LAND
Exhorder
With the Dead
Voyager
A Forest of Stars
Vola
Conjurer
Dead Label
Weight of the Tide
Limb
Forgotten Remains

Sunday

Ronnie James Dio Stage
NIGHTWISH
At the Gates
Devildriver
Mr. Big
Jasta and Friends
Fozzy
Amaranthe
Evergrey
Monument

Sophie Lancaster Stage
WATAIN
Pallbearer
Act of Defiance
Mantar
Bio-Cancer
Underside
Sangre
Alien Weaponry
King Leviathan
Uncured
Doomsday Outlaw

The lower stages are about 1/3 full I think. Confirmed so far: A Ritual Spirit, Pelugion, Seven Hells, Vulgore, Turbyne, Valafar, Aonia, Oracle, 13, Negative Thought Process, Ashborn, Sellsword, This Place Hell, Obzidian, Crawlblind, Drudge, Autocracy, The Heretic Order, Kamikaze Test Pilots, Voodoo Sioux, Luke Appleton, Sinocence, Alpha Omega, Gemma Fox, Abduction, True Believer and Dawn of Anubis. 

• 2 weeks later...

There's some allegations of rape from 2000 coming out against Maynard from Tool/A Perfect Circle/Puscifer. One specifically, then there's a few stories from different people on the Tool subreddit (but I linked to the thread that's on r/indieheads), and the guy who runs Toolshed telling stories about how Maynard would pick up teenage girls (seemingly knowing the age of consent laws wherever he went, suspiciously) on tour back in the 90s. If you take the Twitter thread out of the story, it's all just your typical skeevy rockstar shit, with stagehands and roadies trying to get girls to come backstage. But the Twitter thread story is pretty damning, since it's straight up rape.

This really hurts me, because Tool is one of my favorite bands and was my first concert experience back in 2007. Maynard has always seemed really.... uh, weird, I guess. It's really painful to see some of the responses from Tool fans, since a good percentage of their fanbase are dudebros or basement dweller types, and you can already imagine how they're responding to this.

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, LUKIEv said:

New Powerwolf album!

On my second playthorugh - it's pretty tasty! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A documentary on Amon Amarth is coming out in November. I'm so ready for this :D

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Soooo... Static-X are dropping a new album next year. They're using unused Wayne Static vocals, and have also reached out to David Draiman, Ivan Moody (Five Finger Death Punch) and Al Jourgensen (Ministry) about contributing guest vocals. Dunno what they're gonna do about touring, but they also plan to tour as well for the 20th anniversary of Wisconsin Death Trip (holy shit, Wisconsin Death Trip will be 20 years old next year!).

• 2 weeks later...

Why didn't anyone tell me about this album sooner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wolf_Bites_Back

It's fucking baller.

RISE UP, RISE UP, RISE UP
SONS OF SALEM
YOUR MOTHERS CURSED YOU AT BIRTH