(Un)Official Metal Thread

RKOwnage

So Cannibal Corpse's Pat O'Brien was arrested. The story keeps getting crazier. At first it was charges of burglary of an occupied dwelling w/ assault & aggravated assault on a law enforcement officer, and reports that O'Brien's home was on fire with exploding ammunition inside. He's got a bail set at $50k and has to pass a drug test to get bailed out, and appeared in court in an anti-suicide vest.

Now reports are that he had two military-grade flamethrowers in his home and upon breaking into his neighbor's house, he was talking about the rapture and claiming that someone was "after him".

I'm going to go out on a limb and say he doesn't get bailed out. Sounds like he's having some major problems and hopefully things can be sorted out. 

On 12/12/2018 at 23:41, ClouDelightful said:

So Cannibal Corpse's Pat O'Brien was arrested. The story keeps getting crazier. At first it was charges of burglary of an occupied dwelling w/ assault & aggravated assault on a law enforcement officer, and reports that O'Brien's home was on fire with exploding ammunition inside. He's got a bail set at $50k and has to pass a drug test to get bailed out, and appeared in court in an anti-suicide vest.

Now reports are that he had two military-grade flamethrowers in his home and upon breaking into his neighbor's house, he was talking about the rapture and claiming that someone was "after him".

I'm going to go out on a limb and say he doesn't get bailed out. Sounds like he's having some major problems and hopefully things can be sorted out. 

He did get bail and passed his drug test. More details are coming out however, like that he had over 50 shotguns (including one sawed-off shotgun) in his house, uzi-style rifles, AK-47 variants, and 20 handguns. He also had thousands of rounds of ammunition and 3 skulls in the house, though the report doesn't say what kind of skulls (animal / human / ???).

• 2 weeks later...

I like the implication of ??? in that. Like he's got a Xenomorph skull on his wall. 

I just want to know when Mushroomhead will release some new stuff, since they have a new lead singer. The material released on Youtube in the last year or so are videos for old songs. Though I did like the video for We Are The Truth that was based on the original EVIL DEAD movie.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2019/01/14/all-that-remains-guitarist-oli-herbert-signed-a-will-giving-his-wife-everything-a-week-before-his-death/

The story behind the tragic death of All That Remains guitarist Oli Herbert just keeps getting stranger and stranger.

Herbert died in October at the age of 44. While his death initially seemed to be an accidental drowning, subsequent reports suggested that the police were investigating the death as “suspicious.”

Now, in a development which will likely only add fuel to the conspiracy fire, The Hartford Courant reports that on October 9 — a little more than a week before his death — Herbert signed a will which named his wife, Elizabeth, as the executor and sole beneficiary of the guitarist’s estate. The new will also specified “that under no circumstances should Oliver Herbert’s sister, Cynthia Herbert, become executor or receive anything from his estate.” The value of Oli’s estate is not currently known, although he owed a $132,000 mortgage payment to the bank at the time of his death.

Just as odd as the timing of the new will’s execution is the fact that it was notarized at a Hartford car dealership by a friend of the Herberts, while “There is no attorney signature on it or any indication that it was reviewed by any legal representatives.” Elizabeth Herbert’s attorney, Anthony Spinella, “said his client initially cooperated with the state police after her husband’s death… But he said he has now informed police that any further requests should come through him.”

• 3 weeks later...

New Sunn O))) :w00t:

@ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster @Skummy

In July 2018, Sunn O))) spent just over two weeks in Chicago at Electrical Audio (Studio A) with Steve Albini at the helm. The results are astounding: there is breadth and luminosity of colour, it sounds vast. The sessions were impeccably recorded, authentically represented and completely accurate. The spectrum cracked the firmament open in clarity. An all analogue technique was used, they recorded and mixed on tape, providing a creative gateway for Sunn O))) to evolve their production methods into stronger, confident, performance based and a more logical executive process. The album was mastered and lacquers cut from tape in October by Sunn O))) ally Matt Colton at Alchemy in London. The LP version is a AAA album, recorded and mixed on tape via a completely analogue production, from the input of the band's amplifiers and the air coming off the speakers in front of the microphones to needle touching the pressed vinyl on your turntable.

Continuing one of the main currents of the Sunn O))) concept, depth of exploration within collaboration, brought forth Hildur Guðnadóttir to the Sunn O))) constellation. Hildur is a sometime live collaborator of Sunn O))) and a renowned film music composer, former member of the bands Múm, Pan Sonic and Angel. She was a long time collaborator with the composer Jóhann Jóhannsson (RIP). Hildur lent her incredible attitude, as well as her voice, breath and electric cello, and the enigmatic haldorophone to the proceedings, culminating in the epic composition/concerto "Novæ". The cosmos clearly expands. 

I'm going to call it right here, AOTY contender.

Speaking of album(s) of the year, I put together my Top 50 for 2018 on my blog: https://garethjhunt.wordpress.com/2019/01/22/top-albums-of-2018/. The majority of them are rock / metal (though, not #1! 😮).

I've spoilered the list below for ease (though the blog does have links to Spotify playlists including them too): 

Spoiler

My Top 50 Albums of 2018

50. Parkway Drive – Reverence
49. Stupid Cosmonaut – Digitalis
48. Gösta Berling’s Saga – ET EX
47. Netuno Doom – The Universe, The Prison
46. Warkings – Reborn
45. Tribulation – Down Below
44. futuropaco – futuropaco
43. Sabhankra – From the Frozen Mountains
42. Ai Messiah – Sentience and Sapience
41. Automatism – From the Lake
40. Sigh – Heir to Despair
39. Gorod – Aethra
38. Weedpecker – III
37. Visigoth – Conqueror’s Oath
36. Sergeant Thunderhoof – Terra Solus
35. Yob – Our Raw Heart
34. Antiverse – Under the Regolith
33. Skeletonwitch – Devouring Radiant Light
32. Between the Buried and Me – Automata II
31. Long Distance Calling – Boundless 
30. Arkona – Khram
29. Witchsorrow – Hexenhammer 
28. Domkraft – Flood 
27. Rezn – Calm Black Water
26. Frozen Land – Frozen Land
25. Imperial Age – Legacy of Atlantis
24. Amorphis – Queen of Time
23. Awooga – Conduit
22. Toundra – Vortex
21. Hundred Year Old Man – Breaching
20. Lovebites – Clockwork Immortality
19. Gama Bomb – Speed Between the Lines
18. Tar Pit – Tomb of Doom 
17. Immortal – Northern Chaos Gods
16. Kamasi Washington – Heaven and Earth 
15. Earthless – Black Heaven 
14. Between the Buried and Me – Automata I
13. Bismarck – Urkraft
12. Judas Priest – Firepower
11. In Vain – Currents
10. Zeal & Ardor – Stranger Fruit
09. Bongripper – Terminal 
08. Archelon – Tribe of Suns
07. Powerwolf – The Sacrament of Sin
06. The Men That Will Not Be Blamed For Nothing – Double Negative
05. Vorbid – Mind
04. Ghost – Prequelle
03. Boss Keloid – Melted on the Inch 
02. Deltanaut – Part I
01. Morild – Nordic Landscapes 

Top 10 EPs

10. Deadblondestars – Keepsake
09. Stone Ruin – The New Dominion
08. Le Menhir – Aube
07. Wheel – The Divide
06. The Hyena Kill – Spun
05. Kurokuma – Dope Rider
04. Tuskar – The Tide, Beneath, The Wall
03. King Buffalo – Repeater
02. Goblinsmoker – Toad King
01. Child of Ash – Child of Ash Demo

http://www.metalsucks.net/2019/02/06/arkansas-senator-furious-about-eyehategod-baby-eating-show-poster/

Senator Rapert, who has previously taken on the Satantic Temple, is anti-choice, has advocated nuking ISIS, suggested that the United States should adopt Saudi Arabia’s violent laws against homosexuality, and famously told a Tea Party rally that “we’re not going to allow minorities to run roughshod over what you people believe in.”

I'm going to pitch that either portions of the ticket sales go to Planned Parenthood, or, maybe more likely, have a donation jar for Planned Parenthood and at the end of the night donate it all in Jason Rapert's name. :shifty:

EDIT: More developments. They've changed the show flyer but a conservative talk radio show wants to get Eyehategod on and Mike IX Williams has agreed to do it. 

On 06/02/2019 at 17:05, Howdy Cloudy said:

Needs more Sleep. Yob being on the list is good though. Our Raw Heart is a phenomenal album.

Sleep made my shortlist (which was about 130 albums deep). I enjoyed it - I just enjoyed these more. 

EDIT: Depending on how strict your definitions are, there are about 16 stoner / psych / doom / sludge albums in that top 50, so no shortage in genre terms, haha. 

• Like 1

The new Hecate Enthroned album kicks arse. Here's one of the lead singles from it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/02/2019 at 04:02, Howdy Cloudy said:

Speaking of kicking ass, the new split EP by Primitive Man and Hell is fucking awesome.

I've always struggled with Primitave Man. Not sure why. But I'll give it a bash.

If anyone is into longform stoner doom / doom (with some psych), then I recommend the following: https://mangont.bandcamp.com/album/maa-sarv

They are an Estonian trio. The tunes are mostly instrumental, and take a little while the develop (18 mins, 13 mins and 14 mins are the track lengths). I really like it, and I can see it placing highly in my album of the year list for 2019. 

• 3 weeks later...

So after hearing them on the radio for months now and liking "Rats" and "Dance Macabre", I decided to give Ghosts "Prequelle" a listen on Spotify and, wow, I can see why this was nominated for Metal Album of the Year.  Just thought it was amazing from start to finish.  Is the rest of Ghosts albums like that?  I loved it

• Like 2

Meliora is pretty good. Infestissumam and Opus Eponymous are both heavier and sound a little different from Meliora and Prequelle.

Check out Meliora though. I think if you dig Prequelle you'll like Meliora. "From The Pinnacle To The Pit", "Cirice", "He Is", "Majesty", and "Mummy Dust" are probably my favorite tracks off Meliora.

Also, check out "Ghuleh/Zombie Queen" off of Infestissumam. Probably one of my favorite Ghost tracks, and a song I desperately want Jimmy Jacobs to use as a theme song somewhere on the indies. >_>

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Howdy Cloudy said:

Meliora is pretty good. Infestissumam and Opus Eponymous are both heavier and sound a little different from Meliora and Prequelle.

Check out Meliora though. I think if you dig Prequelle you'll like Meliora. "From The Pinnacle To The Pit", "Cirice", "He Is", "Majesty", and "Mummy Dust" are probably my favorite tracks off Meliora.

Also, check out "Ghuleh/Zombie Queen" off of Infestissumam. Probably one of my favorite Ghost tracks, and a song I desperately want Jimmy Jacobs to use as a theme song somewhere on the indies. >_>

I did see the performance of "Cirice" on The Late Show and really liked it.  Guess I'll be spending the weekend listening to Ghost

• Like 1

I love that performance. Love the audience members/plants that sort of stagger/zombie walk up to the stage and, as one of the commenters says, Papa Emeritus "exorcises" that girl. 

• Like 1

Well if the rest of the albums are even half as good as Prequelle was, I'll be happy.  I even loved the largely instrumental songs.  That one with the saxophone leading into Dance Macabre was great