Saturday, 23rd October 2004

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Tape Commentator - Joey Styles

Tapes And DVDs Produced By Modtrom Productions

Convention Card

Clipped Matches Available As Extras On DVD

Attendance - 207

Billy Kim and Scott Lost vs. Shane & Shannon Ballard

- Billy Kim and Scott Lost, better known as PWG's X-Foundation to most came out victorious over The Ballards. The Ballards managed to hit the Double Minor but it wasn't enough as Kim and Lost finished Shane off with a backbreaker and flying elbow drop combo.

Bruce Steel vs. Tommy Vandal

- Bruce Steel and Tommy Vandal impressed the crowd with a pretty impressive outing but it was Bruce Steel who got the victory in this one defeating Tommy Vandal with a spinning urange.

Jimmy Jacobs w/ Becky Bayless vs. David Babylon

- David Babylon had another good convention outing after last month’s effort. But he wasn’t able to come out the victor again as Jimmy Jacobs was just too good for him defeating him with The Contra Code a corner sit-out sliced bread #2.

- At 7:00pm Steve Corino came out to answer the fans questions, he answered on various subjects such as his demeaning comments to TNA and the Jarrett’s and his positions within ROH, World-1 and Zero-1. After around 35 minutes of questions, Homicide came out from the back. Homicide and Steve Corino stared down before going on a brawl through the concession and merchandise stands before Homicide put Corino through a table with a Piledriver and there was no-one to help Corino as CW Anderson and Simon Diamond were apparently still at the hotel.

MLW: Retribution

Attendance - 772

- At 8:03pm the show started with Steve Corino coming out with the rest of The Extreme Horsemen with the newest inclusion Dawn Marie who was on Simon Diamond’s arm. Corino got on the microphone and berated Homicide for attacking him earlier on tonight during his question and answer session. Steve Corino then announced that at the next show he’d be facing off against one of Homicide’s little clique members. Corino then announced he’d be taking on Rocky Romero with the stipulation that if Rocky Romero beats him one on one, then Homicide, Reyes or Romero would get a shot at his title in the very near future.

MLW World Junior Heavyweight Championship Triangle Series - Triangle C

Spanky (0-0) vs. Jerrelle Clark (0-1)

- Jerrelle Clark became the first man eliminated from the triangle series as he lost to Spanky. Jerrelle Clark tried his best kicking out of everything Spanky threw at him to try and stay in the tournament. Jerrelle Clark himself came close to winning a couple of times, the closest coming from a Kryptonite Krunch from the middle rope, but Spanky managed to kick out at the count of two. But Jerrelle Clark found himself the victim of a Dr. Smothes Secret Recipe and a Sliced Bread #2 that he had no chance of kicking out of.

Team Chismo (Excalibur & Disco Machine) vs. Stampede Bulldogs (TJ Wilson and Harry Smith)

- The Hart Foundation 2k3 group finally picked up their first victory coming out on top of a strong lucha style and technical match against Excalibur and Disco Machine. Both teams busted out all the moves as TJ busted out the Cold Blue and Smith brought the pain to Disco locking him up totally in the Arabian Crab. Chismo had their chances to win too with an Emerald Fusion from Excalibur to TJ Wilson. The Stampede Bulldogs picked up the win with the 'History In The Making' a powerbomb and springboard somersault neckbreaker combo on Disco Machine.

MLW World Junior Heavyweight Championship Triangle Series - Triangle D

Quiet Storm (0-0) vs. Jardi Frantz (0-0)

- Quiet Storm went top of Triangle D with a victory over Jardi Frantz. Storm fucked Frantz up throughout the match almost knocking Frantz's head off at one point with a sick roaring elbow that sent Frantz spinning through the air. Frantz though did have a credible outing managing to get a close three count with a 450 splash and came even closer with a schoolboy after ducking a rolling elbow from Storm. Frantz though had no chance when Storm signalled for and then hit the Storm Cradle Driver.

Jack Evans vs. Super Dragon

- Super Dragon defeated Jack Evans in a match that saw Evans hit a series of 11 spots in under two minutes during on point of the match, switching between various flips and jumps finishing with a corkscrew double moonsault to the outside. Evans though was seriously getting messed throughout the match, every time it looked like he could have gained control Dragon hit him with a stiff strike or a move that either involved Evans getting dropped on his head or coming down sickly and folding himself up. The closing moments saw Dragon duck a springboard spin kick and hit a roundhouse allowing him to use the Psycho Driver for the win.

Low-Ki vs. Josh Daniels

- Josh Daniels looked to have had the victory in the bag a number of times, but every time Low Ki would stage a dramatic last second kick out. Daniels kept taking Low Ki down out wrestling him at points on the mat. Josh Daniels managed to get in a Northern Lights Bomb off the top rope which Low Ki kicked out of. Low Ki had the edge in this match though due to his stand up game and after a quick succession of kicks and strikes Low Ki took Daniels down into a Dragon Sleeper giving Daniels no choice but to tap out.

- Josh Daniels and Low-Ki shook hands after their match. Josh Daniels then got on the microphone and challenged Low-Ki to a rematch. Low-Ki accepted the challenge and made a match for the next show.

MLW World Junior Heavyweight Championship Triangle Series - Triangle A

Roderick Strong (0-0) vs. Puma (0-0)

- Roderick Strong picked up his first win in the triangle series at the expense of Puma. Strong used a hundred and one backbreakers throughout the match, including a suplex into a backbreaker off the ropes. Puma had his chances to win using a series of kicks and even hit a Skull Crusher (Tombstone Piledriver) off the middle rope but Roderick Strong managed to evade the three count. Roderick Strong though was just too good in the end for Puma finishing him off with a Michinoku Driver into a backbreaker.

Non-Title Match

Homicide and Rocky Romero vs. The Extreme Horsemen © (CW Anderson and Simon Diamond) w/ Dawn Marie

- Rocky Romero pinned Simon Diamond to give him and Homicide a win over the MLW Global Tag Team Champions. The match opened fast with all four trading moves and CW Anderson hitting the Spinebuster on Rocky Romero within the opening three minutes. Homicide was intense and looked great whilst in brutalising Simon Diamond as Dawn Marie looked on in horror from ringside. Rocky Romero also showed his worth to MLW having a great outing hitting a wonderful missile dropkick. Romero then played face in peril as Anderson and Diamond worked him over until Romero got the tag to Homicide. Homicide then hit a couple of Mafia Kicks before hitting a Cop Killa on Simon Diamond. Anderson then went for Homicide but Homicide bundled him over the top rope with a clothesline allowing Romero to get the pin.

- CW Anderson and Homicide continued brawling on the outside and CW Anderson then got the better of Homicide hitting a Spinebuster on the concrete floor. CW Anderson and Simon Diamond then hit a double team powerbomb on Rocky Romero before leaving with Dawn Marie.

Satoshi Kojima vs. Ricky Reyes

- Satoshi Kojima defeated Ricky Reyes in an absolute brutally stiff match. Both men nearly killed each other with the blows they were dealing out to each other. Satoshi Kojima then started to work the neck as Reyes sold it well, hitting suplexes then giving up advantage due to the neck. Kojima was playing the crowd throughout the match, holding onto submissions for too long and then claiming that he didn't speak English when the referee would pull him off. Reyes got in some decent offence hitting a Tiger Driver that almost won him the match but Kojima just managed to kick out before the three count. After a brief exchange of elbows Reyes whipped Kojima into the ropes who ducked the resulting clothesline and came back with a stiff lariat for the win.

MLW World Heavyweight Championship

Steve Corino © w/ Guillotine LeGrande vs. Teddy Hart

- Steve Corino pinned Teddy Hart in a match that saw Teddy Hart almost upset Corino and win the MLW World Heavyweight Title on a couple of occasions. The match opened up slow with Corino playing the cocky heel beating on Teddy and playing to the crowd. Corino used his boot to take the face off Teddy in the corner with some running boot scrapes and a couple of chops before hitting a Coby Driver for a two count. Teddy then made a comeback hitting a tornado DDT that saw Corino take a time out on the outside. Hart then hit a Shooting Star Press suicida to the outside. Teddy then used the rail to hit a another tornado DDT on Corino this time driving his head into a chair. Back in the ring, Corino was starting to realise Hart wasn’t the pushover he was lead to believe as Teddy Hart hit the Lethal Injection, a shooting star elbow drop, which Corino just managed to kick out of at two. Teddy then went for his third tornado DDT of the match, but Corino blocked it and hit a rolling Northern Lights Suplex switching into a Northern Lights Bomb for the three count.

- Justin Credible cut a promo backstage about Ekmo Fatu saying that his fat ass didn't belong in MLW. Justin Credible then announced that at the next show that he would face Ekmo in a No DQ match.

- Homicide cut a backstage promo to end the tape selling his back from the Spinebuster on the concrete earlier, stopping to wince in pain every so often as The Havana Pitbulls looked concerned. Homicide said that their was a stipulation in the tag match that if they won they'd get a title shot, but since Rocky Romero is facing Corino at the next show that he's not going to take advantage of it and instead let The Havana Pitbulls face The Extreme Horsemen for the titles at the show after next.

Edited by HolokastTheIkon

MLW News And Notes

- The following are the new finalised rules and regulations of Major League Wrestling:-

1. All matches are contested under a 60 minute time limit unless otherwise stated. If a match does go the distance a panel of unbiased judges will then determine the outcome of the match. If the outcome of the match is adjudged as being a draw a rematch will be scheduled.

2. All regular matches will operate on a 20 count out rule. If a champion is deemed to have had himself counted out on purpose will surrender his title to his opponent. In the event of the champion being counted out respectively or a double count out a rematch will be scheduled.

3. The use of weapons is allowed at the referee’s discretion. The use of weapons is tolerated but not advised if the referee deems there to be excessive violence during any match he has the right to disqualify that combatant or both depending upon the circumstance.

4. Low blows, fish hooking and eye gouging are not legal and if any are used during any match the perpetrator will be disqualified.

5. The attacking of a referee will not only result in a disqualification but if so deemed to be in a malice manner the attacker will be heard by MLW management and if they deem fit the attacker will be suspended by MLW for a length of time they see fit.

6. In the case of any rule breaking during any match the combatant will be disqualified. If a champion is disqualified in a title match for purposely breaking the rules he will surrender his title to the challenger.

Edited by HolokastTheIkon

MLW: Hybrid Hell

Saturday, 6th November 2004

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

- Shinjiro Otani and Masato Tanaka vs. Christopher Daniels and Bryan Danielson

- Steve Corino © w/ Guillotine LeGrande vs. Rocky Romero

- Ricky Reyes vs. CW Anderson

No Disqualification Match

- Justin Credible vs. Ekmo Fatu

- Teddy Hart and Jack Evans vs. Super Dragon and Excalibur

- Josh Daniels vs. Low Ki

MLW World Junior Heavyweight Championship Triangle Series - Triangle A

- Roderick Strong (1-0) vs. Shawn Daivari (0-0)

MLW World Junior Heavyweight Championship Triangle Series - Triangle B

- Fuego Guerrero (0-0) vs. Insane Dragon (1-0)

MLW World Junior Heavyweight Championship Triangle Series - Triangle D

- Bobby Quance (0-0) vs. Jardi Frantz (0-1)

Plus… Will Steve Corino answer Homicides challenge?

***Tickets for the event are available through mlw.com and ticketmaster.com priced $20 for the first three rows, $12 for general admission to the ground floor and $8 for the balcony. Bell time is 8:00pm***

Convention Card

- Bruce Steel vs. David Babylon

- Jay Lethal vs. Paul Atlas

- Boles Azules vs. Kung Fu Fro

- Billy Kim and Scott Lost vs. Disco Machine and Zokre

***Tickets for the convention card are sold at the door and are priced $6. If you present your ticket for MLW: Retribution you can get in for $3. The convention card starts at 5:00pm***

MLW Triangle Series Standings

Triangle A

- Roderick Strong (1-0)

- Shawn Daivari (0-0)

- Puma (0-1)

Triangle B

- Insane Dragon (1-0)

- Fuego Guerrero (0-0)

- Jimmy Jacobs (0-1)

Triangle C

- B-Boy (1-0)

- Spanky (1-0)

- Jerrelle Clark (0-1)

Triangle D

- Quiet Storm (1-0)

- Bobby Quance (0-0)

- Jardi Frantz (0-1)

- The introduction was nothing overly impressive, buts that okay, its blunt and to the point and there is nothing drastically wrong with what is written there

- The card is a nice touch, however you announce a Tag Team Title match and a Number One Contenders match before telling us that the former champions hold onto their titles in MLW 4.0. A minor touch but its continuity that is in question here and that just comes across as haphazard.

- The card itself is quite MLW-ish, however the inclusion of Super Dragon, Excalibur and Scorpio Sky intrigues me as I'm pretty sure they've not worked for MLW before. But as the show is in Florida and they are So-Cal talent it does make sense, a note about 'Bring in three big name So-Cal stars' or something may be appropriate or maybe I'm over analysing things.

- I like the build up between Teddy and Corino, very much how they did it in real life. Corino's comments are nicely done, the comment about Japan and Colby sound a lot like something he'd actually write.

- Any particular reason why the MLW World Title is up for grabs in the Corino/Hart match?

- You should probably add something to indicate which team are the champions in the tag match, I know its the Extreme Horsemen but a little © would clarify the point for someone just looking over the card.

- The match recaps are nice, I'd prefer a few more lines of match description personally, even if its saying the game plans/psychology of the match or how the crowd responsed. Each match however comes across as different which shows a good style of writing. Simon Diamond's finisher is called The Simonizer, The Problem Solver was the double team finisher of Simon and Swinger's. Calling Red, Fuego Guerrero is a nice touch and one that most people forget when writing about MLW. Not sure about Corino squashing Teddy, I mean yes, its what everyone wants to see but its a little early. This was non-title, why not have Teddy go over by a fluke, you could still have the same match, but the ending builds the feud up more, increasing Teddy's ego and infuriating Corino into putting the title on the line (Assuming he has it after facing Awesome) to get another shot at Hart.

- The triangle tournie looks very interesting, however a little too big perhaps. Especially if you're only having two matches per card. Feugo and Spanky have to be early favourites, B-Boy outside of those two but up there because of his noterity, although it would be nice to see you make one of the lesser known guys your ace of the Junior division, Jardi Frantz would be my pick.

- I like the idea of a CC show, even if its only three matches. Nice touch.

- Homicide/Corino after Corino has finished his program with Hart would be nice. A good way to lay the foundations for a future feud there. Does Insane Dragon really use the name Sliced Bread #2? I'm sure that's Spanky's name for the move. Something I completely missed in the first show... Wasn't Credible apart of the Extreme Horsemen at the end of MLW? Corino, Diamond, Anderson, Credible (Under the name PJ Walker) and Windham were the five that fought in the War Games match against Funk's Army. What happened there? The rest of the show is good but predicatable, Homicide being attacked and Corino cheating to win is pretty much booking by numbers, but it works so I'm not really complaining.

- Corino seems involved in two feuds at once here which is interesting, but something I could see internet fans slating. I loved the used of the Q+A session as something to build up the feud, you bring in outside parts to the shows and it works really well. The CC show does its job really, Jacobs is a favourite of mine but I don't see him as a factor in the tournie, especially after his first match loss. Clark is pretty much the jobber of his group, no shock there. Nice to see the continuation of the Stampede/So-Cal feud that seems to be brewing; looks like Jardi could be going bye-bye already. Ki is being nicely built up as a dominate wrestler, he would make a great opponent for either Corino or Homicide, especially if he came out the victor in a programme with say, Awesome before moving on to face them. Is Strong really a Junior Heavyweight? I've only seen clips of him, he seems a little big, anyway nice match between him and Puma it would seem. The problem with Corino/Hart is that Corino is the defacto face, yet you don't want to turn him because Homicide is a face and that would screw it up for Corino/Hart, personally I'd of booked Hart to be the bigger heel of the two because he is more hated, let Corino be the defacto face for the night because MLW fans want to cheer him, its like booking Flair to tag with Eugene so fans can cheer for Flair because that's what they want to do, it makes sense in a battle of the two evils to let Corino be the lesser of the two evils because he's the more fan friendly. The post-match interviews work well as well, setting up the next few shows. Is the Hart/Corino programme over now? It looks that way. You should keep Teddy around though, not straight away obviously but a few shows down the line a reappearance could work well, especially for the Stampede Connection.

- A nice diary overall, I've enjoyed reading through it. The cards are well written, the characters nicely portrayed and you actually seem to know how to book MLW, which is a nice change of pace. I look forward to the next few shows.

NBT

Guest JayLethal

I'm really loving this diary. I can't wait for the next show. Super Dragon should get pushed. And try to bring in Jay Lethal.... please?

- The introduction was nothing overly impressive, buts that okay, its blunt and to the point and there is nothing drastically wrong with what is written there

I don't really feel that introductions are really needed unless there's some behind the scenes story to the diary. But I probably could have done more.

- The card is a nice touch, however you announce a Tag Team Title match and a Number One Contenders match before telling us that the former champions hold onto their titles in MLW 4.0. A minor touch but its continuity that is in question here and that just comes across as haphazard.

I'm thinking about going more into detail about why matches are happening on the cards once it gets further in and I didn't notice the tag title/#1 contenders thing. I guess I posted the first few things in the wrong order.

- The card itself is quite MLW-ish, however the inclusion of Super Dragon, Excalibur and Scorpio Sky intrigues me as I'm pretty sure they've not worked for MLW before. But as the show is in Florida and they are So-Cal talent it does make sense, a note about 'Bring in three big name So-Cal stars' or something may be appropriate or maybe I'm over analysing things.

The idea is to have a totally hybrid promotion with as many styles on the card as I can, plus I love the So-Cal guys and people like Joey Ryan, Scott Lost, Billy Kim and Zokre will probably feature on cards in the future.

- I like the build up between Teddy and Corino, very much how they did it in real life. Corino's comments are nicely done, the comment about Japan and Colby sound a lot like something he'd actually write.

Not much to say apart from thanks.

- Any particular reason why the MLW World Title is up for grabs in the Corino/Hart match?

It's said in a post show interview that Corino's so confident of beating Teddy that he's putting the title on the line so it doesn't devalue the title as their would be two shows after it that the title wasn't defended on.

- You should probably add something to indicate which team are the champions in the tag match, I know its the Extreme Horsemen but a little © would clarify the point for someone just looking over the card.

I didn't realise I kept missing the © out on the cards.

- The match recaps are nice, I'd prefer a few more lines of match description personally, even if its saying the game plans/psychology of the match or how the crowd responsed. Each match however comes across as different which shows a good style of writing. Simon Diamond's finisher is called The Simonizer, The Problem Solver was the double team finisher of Simon and Swinger's. Calling Red, Fuego Guerrero is a nice touch and one that most people forget when writing about MLW. Not sure about Corino squashing Teddy, I mean yes, its what everyone wants to see but its a little early. This was non-title, why not have Teddy go over by a fluke, you could still have the same match, but the ending builds the feud up more, increasing Teddy's ego and infuriating Corino into putting the title on the line (Assuming he has it after facing Awesome) to get another shot at Hart.

Match Recaps - I experimented with a better format in the Steve Corino and Teddy Hart title match that was a little more detail in my opinion which is based around Meltzer's recaps in the Observer and will include psychology and crowd reactions in the future.

Simon Diamond - Yeah I know his finsiher, thanks for pointing out that I'd written the wrong name. Don't know why I wrote The Problem Solver.

Corino Squashing Teddy - The match itself was based around JAPW's Homicide vs Teddy match where Teddy said he took everything Homicide had to give and was still walking.

- The triangle tournie looks very interesting, however a little too big perhaps. Especially if you're only having two matches per card. Feugo and Spanky have to be early favourites, B-Boy outside of those two but up there because of his noterity, although it would be nice to see you make one of the lesser known guys your ace of the Junior division, Jardi Frantz would be my pick.

The matches have increased to three per card, so I believe after the next they'll be two more shows with them on before the final. I won't go into detail about favourites or anything as it'll probably give too much away.

- I like the idea of a CC show, even if its only three matches. Nice touch.

They've been increased to four on the current card and will be mainly featuring NWAFL talent.

- Homicide/Corino after Corino has finished his program with Hart would be nice. A good way to lay the foundations for a future feud there. Does Insane Dragon really use the name Sliced Bread #2? I'm sure that's Spanky's name for the move. Something I completely missed in the first show... Wasn't Credible apart of the Extreme Horsemen at the end of MLW? Corino, Diamond, Anderson, Credible (Under the name PJ Walker) and Windham were the five that fought in the War Games match against Funk's Army. What happened there? The rest of the show is good but predicatable, Homicide being attacked and Corino cheating to win is pretty much booking by numbers, but it works so I'm not really complaining.

The main idea at the moment is to build to a monumental Corino vs. Homicide match.

As for Insane Dragon I've heard it called Sliced Bread #2 when he's used it, I don't know if it has another name but it's the best way to explain what it is anyway.

I was writing the first show up when I realised that Credible was in Extreme Horsemen when the old MLW closed so I just decided to run with the fact that he wasn't in it and probably use that fact later on.

- Corino seems involved in two feuds at once here which is interesting, but something I could see internet fans slating. I loved the used of the Q+A session as something to build up the feud, you bring in outside parts to the shows and it works really well. The CC show does its job really, Jacobs is a favourite of mine but I don't see him as a factor in the tournie, especially after his first match loss. Clark is pretty much the jobber of his group, no shock there. Nice to see the continuation of the Stampede/So-Cal feud that seems to be brewing; looks like Jardi could be going bye-bye already. Ki is being nicely built up as a dominate wrestler, he would make a great opponent for either Corino or Homicide, especially if he came out the victor in a programme with say, Awesome before moving on to face them. Is Strong really a Junior Heavyweight? I've only seen clips of him, he seems a little big, anyway nice match between him and Puma it would seem. The problem with Corino/Hart is that Corino is the defacto face, yet you don't want to turn him because Homicide is a face and that would screw it up for Corino/Hart, personally I'd of booked Hart to be the bigger heel of the two because he is more hated, let Corino be the defacto face for the night because MLW fans want to cheer him, its like booking Flair to tag with Eugene so fans can cheer for Flair because that's what they want to do, it makes sense in a battle of the two evils to let Corino be the lesser of the two evils because he's the more fan friendly. The post-match interviews work well as well, setting up the next few shows. Is the Hart/Corino programme over now? It looks that way. You should keep Teddy around though, not straight away obviously but a few shows down the line a reappearance could work well, especially for the Stampede Connection.

Low-Ki and Josh Daniels are the two people at the moment that I want to elevate up the MLW ranks.

I believe Strong is classed as Junior Heavyweight, he's smaller in height than Sonjay and the same build as Lynn so I believe he is.

I don't really believe that every feud has to be face vs. heel, so Corino vs Teddy is pretty much heel vs. heel with Corino being the lesser of two evils so the fans go with him, I don't think I've portrayed that well enough in the matches that Corino is pretty much face against Hart.

I like booking overlapping feuds that can get very complex, especially if it's champion because in real life in a promotion like that with everyone wanting to be champion they're wouldn't be just one person out for his blood. See ROH's stuff where Joe has had overlapping feuds.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback NBT it's appreciated.

And to answer your question Lethal, Jay Lethal is booked on the next convention card and will feature more prominently after the Jnr tournie is over.

Hey man, no worries about the feedback. Like I said in The Soapbox, I'm going to start leaving all my thoughts in people's diaries I read from now on. What I wrote there was what I was thinking as I read through it all.

Oh... And isn't the real name for the Sliced Bread #2, the Shinobi DDT or something like that? I probably just made that up but I'm sure I've heard something along those lines before

Hey man, no worries about the feedback.  Like I said in The Soapbox, I'm going to start leaving all my thoughts in people's diaries I read from now on.  What I wrote there was what I was thinking as I read through it all.

Oh... And isn't the real name for the Sliced Bread #2, the Shinobi DDT or something like that? I probably just made that up but I'm sure I've heard something along those lines before

The Shinobi is what it was called in the Smackdown games, I believe Shut Your Mouth, then moved on to Ninja I think in Here Comes The Pain.

I believe the real name is the Shiranui as that's what Meltzer refers to it as when Takashi Sugiura uses it.

Guest DynamicJeremyS

The match recaps are nice, I'd prefer a few more lines of match description personally, even if its saying the game plans/psychology of the match or how the crowd responsed.  Each match however comes across as different which shows a good style of writing.  Simon Diamond's finisher is called The Simonizer, The Problem Solver was the double team finisher of Simon and Swinger's.  NBT

Actually, Diamond's finisher in MLW was called the Gem Cutter.

I'm an MLW mark, so that's why I know. :blush:

• 1 year later...