Ultimate Comic Hero

GRIFT

I saw the Favorite Book Character topic and decided that I'd stand up for those of us who take our literature with a side of graphical gravy.

Simply state who are your favorite characters and why.

For me I have always loved the angst ridden Wolverine and his quest for a past. You add the fact that he is totally badass, has decent sideburns, has samurai training, and is feral as hell and you have a winner. Beyond being badass he is a rich character in almost any of the many incarnations Marvel has published.

I have also always enjoyed the Hulk. The very idea of a man who battles with the beast within can connect with almost any reader from a less literal standpoint.

Who are yours?

My favorite is Spider-Man... but the ultimate hero is Superman, even though I hate him. He's generally the first thing that comes to mind when you say "comic book" to a random person. The comic book icon.

My all-time favorite would be Spiderman and a guility pleasure for Daredevil.

Spiderman: Teenager with various responsiblities other than saving lives.

Daredevil: Blind Guy and darn it Sonar Vision is just too cool.

Edit: Superman Sucks (Godfatha said Too Perfect) as, as does DC in general =)

Marvel > *

Edited by Blaze N Amaze

Spiderman for sure.

Superman is...too perfect. He's made of Steel, can fly (or jump for long distances if you want to be technical), can beat the Flash (so says Homer in the Monorail episode).

The Ultimate Comic Book Hero has to have superpowers (so that discounts Batman), but can't be perfect (discounts Superman), has a wide array of villains, not just one, and must have really good character development. So with those characteristics that pretty much limits it to Marvel Comics. Almost all the heros fit those criteria (X-Men, Hulk, Spidey, etc.)

But I'm going with Spidey just because I like his powers (they're not too out there) and I like the dichotomy of Spidey and Peter Parker.

My pick for Superman as the Ultimate Comic Hero is due to the cultural status that he holds. Superman is generally the first thing that pops into the average person's head when you say superhero. Don't get me wrong, I hate Superman, and I think Spider-Man is likely to take his crown with the movie phenomenon, but Superman and the famous "S" logo represents superhero to the average person.

Now, of course, I over-complicated the topic by going into that, but was just making a point. Anyway, my favorites other than Spidey are Wolverine, Black Cat, Ghost Rider, and Deadpool.

In my opinion it is Spidey, Wolverine or Batman. They have all had huge movies made of them - its been a while since Superman movies have been made.

My favourite superhero is Gambit, he's so badass and I really enjoy the Wolverine and Gambit series. Damn them not having him in the X-Men movie, well they said Remmy LaBeau - don't think that counts...

Spiderman for sure.

Superman is...too perfect. He's made of Steel, can fly (or jump for long distances if you want to be technical), can beat the Flash (so says Homer in the Monorail episode).

Actually, the Flash beat Superman in a race (running of course) to see how the fastest man alive was.

The reason I prefer Spiderman, and Marvel in general, to Superman in DC is simple. DC comics - particually Superman - focus on a superhero's powers; Superman is almost unbeatable apart from a stupid stick of green rock.

Marvel tends to focus on superhero's weakness' and as a result the characters become more human and easier to relate to. As thuganomic said - they become tragic heroes, let down by their own faults and weakness' rather than a piece of green rock.