Queen's Blood (Final Fantasy Thread)

thuganomic

Auron was amazing, although his major plot twist was signposted really early on. It helped that he was the only character in the game who had a genuinely great voice actor, everyone else's voice pissed me right off, whereas Auron's was perfect. As an aside, that really annoyed me in X, how due to the voice-acting, your central character is never referred to by name; it just makes a lot of the dialogue seem a lot more forced, and makes it harder to emphasise with him, or anyone talking to him. Doesn't help that he's a twat anyway. Or that, via KH, I found out I'd been pronouncing his name wrong all along.

FFVI was brilliant, no doubt about it, but obviously nowadays the graphics are one of its key failings; obviously that can't be helped, but it is a setback. There's also a lot of filler in there; although that's probably to do with the graphics as much as anything in places, as a generic dungeon with FF6 graphics isn't as pretty as a generic dungeon in FF7 onwards, so it FEELS a lot more generic, whereas in the later games every little winding tunnel, cave, mountain, glacier, forest, whatever, felt like it had a lot more of a purpose, because it wasn't just repeating tiles, doors, walls and treasure chests ad nauseum. Some of the characters could do with some more fleshing out, but most of them are just fine, and I like how there doesn't seem to be any one central character, the development's spread out quite nicely across Locke and Terra, with additional bits scattered elsewhere too. And Shadow's dreams is one of the best secrets in any Final Fantasy games. I'm not as big a Kefka fanboy as most people seem to be, though, he's pretty bad-ass and all, but he's a fairly generic megalomaniacal "bwahaha, evil!" villain once you get beyond the laugh and everything, and his "life is meaningless until I am God" motivation was pulled off a lot better with Sephiroth. For the most part, he's just a character that doesn't make sense...how flippant he comes across doesn't gel with his ultimate motivation, and it just seems like a really contrived character...I'm sure that at the time he was miles ahead of any other video game villain, but he's outdated now. He's good, but he's nothing amazing. That said; that laugh re-appearing in FF7 is one of the ultimate mark-out moments of the series, as is FF9's orchestra playing the Junon March theme.

FFIV was wonderful. Decades ahead of its time, even moreso than FFVI was. Has a lot of the same problems VI does now, that can't be helped, and some pretty dodgy character development in places, and it's victim to a healthy dosage of RPG cliché that didn't really go away until VI took the series away from the pseudo-medieval setting it couldn't escape beforehand. For its time, though, it's an incredible game...haven't played it in a long time, might give it a go.

FFV was alright...plot was pretty dire, and lots of meaningless wandering around, but the job system was nice enough.

Jumbo Cactuar and Tonberries > most, as I have already been sort of quoted on here. Thank you.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd always pronounced it as "Tye-duss", while in Kingdom Hearts, it's pronounced "Tee-Dus", which sounds silly.

Edited by Skummy Guðmundsdóttir

FFVI wins out, despite the odd few characters who have quite little to do (notably Gau, Relm and Setzer) after the initial meet-and-greet, for its serious dedication to the shipping stuff. Most of the later games have just focused on the main boy/girl pairing, often in a tacked-on and entirely unsympathetic fashion (I'm lookin' at you, Balthier and Ashe), whereas FFVI really went to town with its pairings and relationships, which is probably quite realistic for the stuff they're going through - stuff gets forged a lot quicker and a lot more intense in crazy circumstances, so frankly it's a wonder they're not all jumping each other's bones the second we get into the World of Ruin. Kefka... he was pretty damn awesome, I loved his nihilistic ending and don't agree that Sephiroth did it better (his motivation was entirely different, for starters), but I guess Skummy and I will have to agree to disagree on him.

I've not played FFIV or FFV, apparently FFIV is supposed to be fucking awesome if just for some of Cecil's silly lines. Frankly though, the more medieval stuff feels like a bit of a chore, and was only really bearable in FFIX because of its self-referential and slightly tongue-in-cheek nature, I dunno if a full game of serious 'fantasy' cliche would really do it for me, FF or no FF. I'd be open to being swayed around to the idea, though, but only if somebody can convince me it's better than the last 3 Suikoden games, which have been orgasm on DVD-Rom.

Haha, that reminds me of the other thing that I found hilariously bad about FFX:

"Oh noes, I am the only one left of my entire species. That makes me sad."

"What about the Blitzball team?"

"I won't acknowledge that."

Khimari or whatever his name was, the furry fella, didn't all his lot get wiped out at some point? (except the Blitzball team)

Nope, Seymour says he slayed his species, Kimhari gets angry, I think it's a bad translation because he was actually just meant to have killed the tribe on the mountain (which he also failed to do if you play X-2). You still see Ronso over Spira in FFX, not just the Blitzball team.

More than anything, I'd say he was just trying to mindfuck Kimhari.

Edited by Benji

I need to find that FF8 animated gif again. The one that's like:

'THE GREATEST LOVE STORY EVER TOLD'

"I like you Squall, let's dance!"

"Whatever."

"Squall! Be my knight and save me!"

"Whatever."

"I love you Squall!"

"Whatev...*checks script*...Um, I love you too."

"YAY! Let's have BABIES!"

"Shit."

Man my 3rd disc of FF8 doesn't work anymore :(

I was looking forward to getting on the Ragnorak and fighting those funny looking creatures.

But playing through it again has reminded me of the cool places that are in the game. I like Dealing City and Timber quite a bit. If I was going on holiday in an FF place though it would have to be at that little villa you buy in 7 in the Costa Del Sol!

Man my 3rd disc of FF8 doesn't work anymore :(

This reminds me of what happened the other day when I was buying my Wii. While it was getting packed up and everything, I noticed a copy of FF9 on the table and asked the guy how much they were selling it for these days. £20, he confirmed. I said okay, I was just checking because I borrowed my friend's copy of FF9 but disc 1 has gone AWOL, so if I can't find it I'll have to buy him another copy. Actually, the guy said, you can have disc 1 out of this one. We can't sell it because disc 3 is scratched to buggery.

So I got disc 1 of FF9 for free. Random, but sweet. :D It means I can actually play it again, since my saved game was on disc 1 anyway.