Pokémon Thread

The Kraig

Well, it was about time eh? There's nothing more annoying than people blabbing through a diary so I thought all Pokémon talk should go here and not in people's diaries.

The Diary Cube is in full Pokéswing so what better time to start up a Pokédiscussion? And I'll stop doing the Poké-isms now, don't worry.

Well, we already know Pokémon isn't about a farfetched cartoon, merchandise or trading cards. It's a fucking computer game, and a damn good one at that.

Pokémon Red & Green were released in Japan, and Red and Blue were released everywhere else and were a massive hit on the old Game Boy. Note that Green and Blue are basically the exact same game, except Blue is in English, Green is in Japanese with minor differences.

After this the animé cartoon series was born and Pokémon Yellow was created for Pikachu lovers everywhere. Wahey.

Anyhoo, after that came the metallic series, Gold and Silver with the addition of 100 new Pokémon and whole new area called Johto on the GBC. And then Pokémon Crystal, based around the legendary dog Pokémon Suicune was a follow up with special features excluded in Gold/Silver.

Then came the gem series, Ruby and Sapphire on the GBA. With new features such as Pokémon abilities, Pokéblocks, great graphics and more Pokémon of course this is by far the best Pokémon game to date, in English anyways.

Shortly after, a 3D Pokémon RPG was created as Pokémon Colosseum which was considered disappointing by most as it didn't have the Game Boy feel to it which makes Pokémon games so good.

Now recently Fire Red and Leaf Green, remakes of the original Japanese games will be released Stateside and in Europe for the GBA (September and October). Which will have Pokémon from the metallic series as well as the original 151 which started the whole Pokémon craze in the 90's. I'll be looking forward to getting myself a copy, despite now being 17 years old. :P

But what was that all for? Well, because about a week ago or so it was announced in Japan that there was a new addition to the gem series coming out in Japan called Pokémon Emerald which is said to combine stories from both Ruby and Sapphire to involve both Team Aqua and Team Magma allowing you to catch both Groudon and Kyogre, the legedary Pokémon from Ruby and Sapphire. However, this game will be based around the other legendary Rayquaza and is chock full of neat little upgrades and new features which make Ru/Sa look like a pile of crap.

There's also apparently a new form of Deoxys made especially for the Emerald version (just like Fire Red has Deoxys Attack Form, Leaf Green has Deoxys Defence Form and Ru/Sa have Deoxys Normal Form).

It's set in Hoenn, like Ruby and Sapphire, but apparently will have new areas to explore, green themed clothes for your character, 2 vs 2 trainer battles, Pokémon sprite animations (like in Crystal), new battle tournaments, and WILL be compatible with the other recent games (Ruby, Sapphire, Colosseum, Fire Red and Leaf Green) and can use the Wireless Link (which comes with the game) to trade/battle with other gamers.

Can you say w00t?

In addition to that, in the new film in Japan, a new Pokémon appears called Laxbe, a pre-evolution of Snorlax. This is obviously paving a way to a new Pokémon series in the future after FR, LG and Emerald are done worldwide.

This both rocks and sucks as I bought Ruby, but I want Emerald too when it comes out and it upsets my pattern of games. I have Blue, Gold, Ruby and will get Leaf Green, but Emerald will be green too, Nintendo buggers. <_<. But it'll basically be the same as Ruby...

Discuss. :thumbsup:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I wansn't going to get Fire Red and Leaf Green until now. I had no clue that the newer pokemon were going to be in it also. This rules, and I'll be picking up my copy along with GTA3 and GTA Vice City. :).

I wonder what the new versions will be...

Have you played the new games Kraigy? They really do rock. :P

And you can actually catch the Johto ones before the E4, not that much before the E4, but it is possible. But again, it would be spoilers :D

I've avoided playing Fire Red or Leaf Green. I've heard lots abotu it though and played it....a little bit. I couldn't resist. :(

I like the item sprites the most.

If it wasn't for item sprites I would have never gotten through the game. Imagine trying to complete it when everythings in Japanese and you don't know Japanese. If there were no icons to help.

:(

It was cool once I figured them out, but I'm sure I sold a rare candy or two. :ohwell:

I loved my Ruby edition followed closely by Yellow

If it wasn't for item sprites I would have never gotten through the game.  Imagine trying to complete it when everythings in Japanese and you don't know Japanese.  If there were no icons to help.

:(

It was cool once I figured them out, but I'm sure I sold a rare candy or two.  :ohwell:

Meh, I have 30% English version. So the main things like items were translated. And sell rare candies all the time, they utterly suck. It's worth battling as stats increase better through training, not candying.

Lv. 100 pokemon through Rare Candies < Lv. 100 pokemon through hard training.

My favourite version was Blue, my first game. I bought it for Christmas (Xmas money) the year it first came out to see what all the hype was about, because nothing which was praised as much as that was could have been crap. And it wasn't. And Pokemon Stadium topped it off for me.

I got Gold, but completed it within a two months. Never got Stadium 2.

But Ruby was excellent, I don't know why lots of people say the new games suck. This is the best version to me in gameplay and graphics. The second generation sucked in my opinion. It's a pity they can't just make one big game with Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, the Orange Islands and Orre and all the pokemon. It would be the best selling game ever or at least up there with the best.

That is why I use a hacked version of Sapphire when I play for fun, with all 386 pokemon in it. Infact, I just thought of another use for the thread....

Post Your Team & Progression! For those who can't be bothered doing a diary, but want to show off their team and accomplishments. :lol:

I have just arrived in Lavaridge Town in Hoenn in the previously mentioned hack of Sapphire.

Pokédex: 9

Badges: 3

Team:

Breloom - Grass/Fighting - Mega Drain, Headbutt, Mach Punch, Stun Spore - Lv. 24

Combusken © - Fire/Fighting - Scratch, Peck, Ember, Double Kick - Lv. 25

Diglett - Ground - Scratch, Sand-Attack, Dig, Magnitude - Lv. 23

Kirlia - Psychic - Shock Wave, Confusion, Thief, Calm Mind - Lv. 22

Pikachu - Electric - Thundershock, Thunder Wave, Quick Attack, Strength - Lv. 21

Onix - Rock - Rock Throw, Rock Smash, Tackle, Screech - Lv. 22

I've made a rule to only catch 6 Pokémon, the other 3 Pokédex entries are evolutions (Shroomish -> Breloom, Torchic -> Combusken, Ralts -> Kirlia). Try it, it's like a handicap in golf and makes it harder. B)

Hopefully Breloom, Blaziken, Dugtrio, Steelix, Raichu and Gardevoir can beat the Elite Four. Sounds like an awesome team though, all of them are my favourites, except Raichu, but I need something to cover my other pokemon's (Breloom/Combusken's) weaknesses (water/flying). :)

Edited by The Kraig

Some thing I wonder about LG and FR, are you able to goto both the Orange Islands? It's kinda' obvious you can go to Johto, but they never made a game where you can go to the Orange Islands.

Anyways, I hope they bring back old features, like Night&Day (Gold/Silver/&Crystal), Having a pokemon follow you (Yellow), and the Contests (Ruby&Saphire).

There were many Orange Islands, they have never ever featured in a game. I think the animé series created it because they had a huge demand for more cartoons but had nothing to write about.

Johto is not in FR/LG, there are however ''Mystery Islands'' to explore with Johto pokemon on them along with regular Kanto ones.

I also miss Night/Day stuff, but I usually play at night a lot so it'd be pitch black all the time. Not cool. But maybe Hoenn was just cast in sunlight all the time? It's possible. (¬_¬)

I never really played Yellow, so I don't know how great it is to have Pikachu follow you around. I assume it's a bit gay.

And contests were cool sidequest, I was kind of annoyed that they aren't in the FR/LG games. I mean, why not? They were cool.

Expand a bit. Your team is made up completely of water pokemon. You should try and think ahead, so to have the right type for the next gym you come across, but it also helps to have lots of variety in your types. I always try to make sure I have one water, one grass, one fire, one bird, one rock, etc.

But since you're looking for a water team, I think, I'd say Quagsire is the weak link here. Try and replace him with Seaking, Dewgong or even Octillery.

Meh, I have 30% English version. So the main things like items were translated. And sell rare candies all the time, they utterly suck. It's worth battling as stats increase better through training, not candying.

I usually do, but it would have been helpful this once to get my Diglett to learn Dig so I could beat Lt Surge. I chose Squirtle at the beginning, and he himself wasn't strong enough yet to win.

But Ruby was excellent, I don't know why lots of people say the new games suck. This is the best version to me in gameplay and graphics. The second generation sucked in my opinion. It's a pity they can't just make one big game with Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, the Orange Islands and Orre and all the pokemon. It would be the best selling game ever or at least up there with the best.

Personnaly I just think the new pokemon suck. I don't mean they're rubbish, but they aren't as cool as the originals. If I could make a dream team, everytime it would be made up from the original 151 (>_>), but even then, I like the newer games, because, like you said, the graphics are great, the playability is improved, it's only the pokemon that let it down. Which is why FR/LG are my favourites. All the retro monsters, brilliant graphics, with extra islands to add to the story.

I liked the second generation for the fact that after the game was completed, you could go back and beat the first game world (I suck at remembering the place names. Kanto?) I marked out fighting 'Red' back there B)

That is why I use a hacked version of Sapphire when I play for fun, with all 386 pokemon in it. Infact, I just thought of another use for the thread....

I've just started playing that as well, so I was meaning to ask you; since you say all 386 are in, then you can catch Squirtle etc, how do you go about it? Mudkip sucks =(

I have not located Squirtle. I assume you'd have to fish for one with a super rod in a remote area though, makes sense, right? I may just go back to the start and try to catch every pokemon I see...

I thought that only 201 Pokémon were obtainable in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald (Thank me later for that :D ). The others Kanto/Johto Pokémon must be traded over from Colosseum/Fire Red/Leaf Green. However there are codes to catch the original 251 on Action Replay/Gameshark. So,they are obtainable but not until September/October when the new games come out in US and UK respectively, but you can use a cheating device,however this will seriously fuck up the berry glitch. I used cheats and my game is now unfixable, I have a new one coming Tuesday, so I really advise you to wait for FR/LG.

Oh,also does anyone wanna sell me/give me a Pokémon Crystal Game Pak? It's the only one I haven't got.

EDIT: Here's my old team to be rated

pkrs009.gif

Swampert - Level 100

Move 1 - Surf

Move 2 - Waterfall

Move 3 - Dive

Move 4 - Take Down

(Swampert has caught the Pokérus)

pkrs199.gif

Groudon - Level 100

Move 1 - Slash

Move 2 - Dig

Move 3 - Eruption

Move 4 - Solarbeam

pkrs201.gif

Jirachi - Level 100

Move 1 - Doom Desire

Move 2 - Psychic

Move 3 - Swift

Move 4 - Helping Hand

pkrs157.gif

Raichu - Level 100

Move 1 - Thundershock

Move 2 - Thunderbolt

Move 3 - Thunder

Move 4 - Rock Smash

pkrs200.gif

Rayquaza - Level 100

Move 1 - Fly

Move 2 - Dragon Claw

Move 3 - Crunch

Move 4 - Hyper Beam

(Rayquaza has had Pokérus)

pkrs379.gif

Entei - Level 65

Move 1 - Stomp

Move 2 - Flamethrower

Move 3 - Fire Blast

Move 4 - Bite

So what'd you think?

Edited by TEWObsession

Questions for anyone who watches the cartoon (I quit after the first two seasons):

1. What happened to Misty?

2. What's the deal with Ash's new hat? Did he get it for winning a contest, or did his old one get destroyed, or something?

3. Are the other two members of Team Rocket (Butch and Cassidy, I think they were called?) still around?

4. Who are the two new kids that follow Ash and Brock around, and what Pokemon do they use?

1. Misty got her bike back when they returned to Viridian, so went home.

2. Ash's new hat was in his new clothes from his mom.

3. Yes they are still around. See - Butch/Cassidy

4. The two new kids are May and Max. May is a new trainer from Hoenn she has these Pokémon - May's Pokémon

Max is her younger brother and currently has no Pokémon.

By the way Kraigy, why do I think that like myself, you will totally abuse the GBA Wireless Adapter to kick people's asses that can't even see you?

Edited by TEWObsession

I thought that only 201 Pokémon were obtainable in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald (Thank me later for that  :D ). The others Kanto/Johto Pokémon must be traded over from Colosseum/Fire Red/Leaf Green. However there are codes to catch the original 251 on Action Replay/Gameshark. So,they are obtainable but not until September/October when the new games come out in US and UK respectively, but you can use a cheating device,however this will seriously fuck up the berry glitch. I used cheats and my game is now unfixable, I have a new one coming Tuesday, so I really advise you to wait for FR/LG.

Oh,also does anyone wanna sell me/give me a Pokémon Crystal Game Pak? It's the only one I haven't got.

EDIT: Here's my old team to be rated

pkrs009.gif

Swampert - Level 100

Move 1 - Surf

Move 2 - Waterfall

Move 3 - Dive

Move 4 - Take Down

(Swampert has caught the Pokérus)

pkrs199.gif

Groudon - Level 100

Move 1 - Slash

Move 2 - Dig

Move 3 - Eruption

Move 4 - Solarbeam

pkrs201.gif

Jirachi - Level 100

Move 1 - Doom Desire

Move 2 - Psychic

Move 3 - Swift

Move 4 - Helping Hand

pkrs157.gif

Raichu - Level 100

Move 1 - Thundershock

Move 2 - Thunderbolt

Move 3 - Thunder

Move 4 - Rock Smash

pkrs200.gif

Rayquaza - Level 100

Move 1 - Fly

Move 2 - Dragon Claw

Move 3 - Crunch

Move 4 - Hyper Beam

(Rayquaza has had Pokérus)

pkrs379.gif

Entei - Level 65

Move 1 - Stomp

Move 2 - Flamethrower

Move 3 - Fire Blast

Move 4 - Bite

So what'd you think?

I thank you for nothing! I helped Serebii scan most of the pics. :rolleyes:

Now for team rateage : Lagendaries are overrated. That is all. :shifty: Seriously, it looks good, you have every weakness covered, but legendaries get boring after a while. Try and raise a team of normal pokemon to level 100. Instead of Entei, try Rapidash. Instead of Groudon, try Dugtrio. Instead of Rayquazza, try Dragonite. I'm not gonna say anything about Jirachi though, cos I love my Mewtwo :D

I'll have to play some of the newer ones, I don't know which one I have, but it was pretty damn fun as a time-killer.

and Kraigy - w00t, Diglet. Those things are so cute. I just watched an episode of the cartoon involving a Diglet Rancher the other day :)

I suck at the game I have though, I usually catch pokemon based on how cute they are, lol

EDIT: Pokemon Sapphire. That's the one I have. I can't get it to bleeding load up and work though, damnit

Edited by Chemical Imbalance