The OFFICIAL Eurovision Song Contest Thread

OOooh this saturday is Eurovision!

I used to watch it as a kid for a laff, went off it in my youth (too manly, Eurovision was too camp for me) but now I'm into my twenties it's essential comedy viewing and Terry Wogan makes it what it is.

For those OUTSIDE of Europe, The Eurovision song contest is where loads of European countries (and Turkey and Israel for some reason) each put forward a singer or group and they all sing their song on this coming saturday night and then at the end every country involved gives points to their favourite 10 songs (not their own) and the song with the most points after every country has voted, wins! Whoooo! And the UK always loses cos it's all political cos 'allied' nations always vote for eachother (like Sweden & Norway) and loads of Eastern Europe, and Greece and Cyprus and stuff...And sometimes Ireland throws us a point.

We came last in 2003 with the worst out of t une song there which is embarrassing getting beaten by awful Europop but at least we have a laff with it....

Anyways>......

(Odds from Coral online Bookmakers - see I've done research!)

Greece 3/1

Ukraine 3/1

Sweden 6/1

Belgium 8/1

Cyprus 10/1

Serbia & Montenegro 10/1

Bosnia 12/1

Germany 12/1

Malta 12/1

Russia 12/1

Albania 14/1

Iceland 14/1

Turkey 18/1

Ireland 25/1

Holland 50/1

Spain 50/1

United Kingdom 50/1

Poland 66/1

Romania 66/1

France 80/1

Norway 80/1

Croatia 125/1

Macedonia 125/1

Austria 150/1

50/1! Whooooo! Leave it alone with a barge pole folks! We've got a failed Fame Academy lad singing some rubbish ballard. Everyone knows you need a cheesy europop song to win!

Anyways, DISCUSS!

Germany 12/1 = no way, it´s not that the guy can´t sing, but the song just issent what it needs to catch an entire continent by 5 minutes of being played live once.

the Turkey song is quit funny, the rest was never heard by me, the stuff overall issent annything more than gnah annyway ;)

Well since the public can vote it has a high pop idol feel to it, and that means even Germany can win because every moron can vote on the guy.

<_<

Seriously I don't watch the Eurovision Songcontest. :unsure:

I tend to watch the voting, its the best part. Apart from Guildo the German from a few years back, he was a legend.

Last year I watched the end of the voting with my brother and his mate, and UK and Latvia were tied at nil pois until the end. We'd been quoting Chris Pontius' 'Latvian police are stern, stern but fair' each round, and then they finally got five points! We deservedly lost.

Well since the public can vote it has a high pop idol feel to it, and that means even Germany can win because every moron can vote on the guy.

<_<

Seriously I don't watch the Eurovision Songcontest. :unsure:

this contest had public votes before pop idol was even around, not everywere but it had

american labels would kill to have such a big and acepted contest the whole idol scenery is no were near it. Even if, in most parts, it´s almost as crapy.

I just read a book about the Eurovision Song Contest, "How to have a no. 1 hit single (and what to do if you don't)". It was pretty good... it was about a middle aged reporter who had a band called Surf 'n' Turf, and how he almost won the contest.

Guest y2gudge

Romania so should enter (if they already aren't) that Mai-A-Hi song that I've been hearing on The Box, Smash Hits and the like - it's like a drug that gets into your bloody head I've been singing Romanian all day! :blink:

*y2gudge*

jesus did that stuff ever suck untill now, i actually thought Max was way to boring but up untill now the german dud had the only propper song.

edit, well ok the moment i write this his voice makes a salto :D

Edited by Michael Matzat

Guest MystikalityIX

We're only at 50/1 yet everytime it's been talked about on TV, everyone thinks we're going to win :\.

Oh my god, how camp is the Bosnian bloke :D.

I want Ireland to enter "My Lovely Horse" - best Eurovision song ever.

Only if they play the Father Ted version. Thats the best song ever.

"My lovely horse running through the....field!

Where are you going, with your fetlocks blowing in the....wind!

Running around with the man on your back

like a train in the night, like a train in the (wait a minute, I can get this) night!"

Yeah, I watch too much Father Ted.

Go U.K!