SmackDown!

August 19, 2004

WWE.com

SmackDown! comes to you from beyond the northern border in Ontario, Canada! With just a week to go until SummerSlam, things are heating up big time and this week is sure to be explosive. We already know that Eddie Guerrero will be in the building and after learning of Kurt Angle's stipulation for their match at SummerSlam, he had better watch out for Angle and his henchmen!

In a special warm-up match for SummerSlam, Spike Dudley will face Shannon Moore in nontitle action! Spike will defend his Cruiserweight title against Rey Mysterio at SummerSlam, but tonight he has to worry about overcoming Moore, who holds several high-profile wins over some of Smackdown's top stars! Can he do it? And will Mysterio get involved?

With just a week away from their match for the United States title, John Cena and Booker T already want a piece of each other. GM Teddy Long has agreed to give the fans a special preview match, but it won't just be Booker and Cena in the ring! Luther Reigns and Big Show will also be involved in a special tag team match. But will Cena and Big Show be able to comprehend each other, especially after their bad blood and what occured last week when Show destroyed Cena and everyone else in sight!

Kenzo Suzuki has requested a match from Teddy Long and earlier today, it was granted. Suzuki will face two other men in a triple threat match to determine who receives a shot at the United States title following SummerSlam! The winner of this match will go on to face the US Champion on the August 26th edition of Smackdown!

And in the main event, John Bradshaw Layfield will defend his WWE Title against a man who he claims could walk out of the building as Champion -- Funaki. Yes, JBL will defend his title just a week away from SummerSlam against Funaki and he's already bragging to everyone that he's a fighting champion. But while JBL may be laughing now, he might not if the Undertaker shows up and ruins his fun. Will it go down, just a week away from SummerSlam?

With just a week to go until one of the biggest events of the year occurs, you better tune into SmackDown! only on UPN at 8/7 CT and prepare to Smack your TV!

user posted image

SmackDown!

We go through the opening montage of various Smackdown stars, before cutting away to a video highlighting everything that occured last week. The huge six-man tag match is shown as well as JBL trying to cancel his match with The Undertaker, only to be denied by Teddy Long and attacked by the Phenom himself! The video climaxes with Booker T defeating Rob Van Dam by count out and a huge celebration between Booker and Angle. Once the video finishes, it's off to the arena in Ontario, Canada where we get a massive pyro show upon the rampway before cutting away to Michael Cole and Tazz.

Fans, it's a hot night here in Ontario, Canada and it's about to get hotter with everything that's going to go down tonight! Welcome to Smackdown everybody and Tazz, tonight is going to be huge. Last week, Kurt Angle defeated Big Show and made a stipulation for his match with Eddie Guerrero at SummerSlam -- if he wins, he becomes General Manager again!

Oh yeah, Cole. You're right about one thing -- tonight is going to be huge and we're only a week away from SummerSlam, which could be one of the biggest shows in 2004! Cole, my money's on Kurt Angle. Eddie's my man and all, but Angle just seems to determined to lose.

Well, whatever the case may be, Smackdown is going to get underway with cruiserweight action so here we go!

Spike Dudley vs. Shannon Moore

Spike is without his brothers tonight and carefully watches the crowd for any signs of Rey Mysterio as he enters. Moore gets a reasonable reaction, but it dies down when Spike drills him from behind with the title. An irish whip gets the match underway, but Moore ducks a clothesline attempt from Spike and hits a flying forearm instead. Armdrag takedown from Moore and Spike cringes in pain, as Shannon works the arm. Spike manages to leap up to his feet and twists under and around Moore, hitting him with a chop block to the shoulder before ramming him into the corner and connecting with a Splash. Moore stumbles out and right into a Back Drop Suplex from Spike, who then goes for the easy cover -- that only gets two. Standing up and yelling at the referee momentarily, Spike turns right into a dropkick from Moore who ascends to the top rope for a Splash. However, Spike manages to move and Moore collides with the canvas. As he stands, Spike calls for the end but Rey Mysterio appears just in the nick of time, grabbing Spike by his legs and tripping him as he's running into the corner for the Dudley Dawg. This then allows Moore to hit a nice Atomic Bomb into a lariat for the win at 6:02. Afterwards, Spike looks on as Mysterio shrugs his shoulders and heads to the back, the crowd cheering wildly.

Winner: Shannon Moore

Rating: 66, 57, 75, **½

We head to the backstage area and the camera pans out to reveal Eddie Guerrero walking with a steel chair in hand. As he reaches a door labeled 'Kurt Angle' with several massive bodyguards blocking the entrance. Guerrero simply steps right up to them and asks them to move, but they shake their heads no. “Yo', holmes. I said move and if you dont…” Eddie raises the chair and then lowers it, but the bodyguards just smirk and shove Eddie away. Guerrero raises the chair to swing, but just as he's about to bring it down, Booker T steps out of the locker room.

“Yo, man, what the hell are you doing?! What do you want, Eddie? And put that damn chair down sucka.” Booker backs up abit but Eddie just smiles.

“Send that piece of shit out here right now!” With that, Eddie shoves Booker away and busts into the locker room with the chair in hand. However, no one is too be found. Booker pulls Guerrero out of the locker room. “Get your filthy paws off of me, essa.”

Booker points for Guerrero to go. “Kurt isn't here tonight, Eddie. He's at home preparing for SummerSlam and you should be too. Now get the hell out of here.”

But Eddie just steps right up into Booker's face and the two have a silent staredown momentarily. “You tell Kurt that at SummerSlam? We're going to end this.” With that, Eddie walks away and we go to a commercial break.

Segment Rating - 85%

COMMERCIAL BREAK

We return to find several staff members holding Mark Henry and Luther Reigns apart, as they scream at each other! Both men are ready to tear each other apart and are about to break past their captors when Teddy Long appears, looking angry. “Damnit, stop! STOP IT RIGHT NOW! What the hell is going on here? What are you two doing?”

He looks at Mark Henry, who points at Luther Reigns. “I want him… tonight.” Reigns attempts to get to Henry, but Long halts him and yells at him to stop.

“Tonight? Hmm, we can't do that because tonight is full but I'll do you two one better, playa. SummerSlam. Mark Henry versus Luther Reigns. How does that sound?”

Henry just smirks and Reigns nods his head before speaking. “Mark Henry. At SummerSlam? You're ass is mine!” With that, he walks away and it's back to the ring.

Segment Rating - 64%

US Title #1 Contendership - Kenzo Suzuki vs. Rob Van Dam vs. Charlie Haas

Before the match Suzuki tells the fans, via Hiroko, that he came to the WWE to become Champion and that once he wins tonight's match he will defeat the United States champion and take home the gold. The match gets underway quickly and it's clear that Suzuki wants a shot at the belt because he takes it to RVD and Haas. RVD connects with a stiff side kick to Suzuki but turns right into a dropkick from Haas who tries to end it early with a pin, but Suzuki breaks it up. Haas and Suzuki begin to double team RVD and drill him with fists, before hitting a double clothesline. They try for another, but Van Dam floors them both with a clothesline of his own! RVD comes off the ropes and hits a Rolling Thunder on Haas, but it only gets two. Suzuki floors Van Dam from behind with a dropkick and then goes for a chokehold, but Haas quickly breaks it up. Haas drops Suzuki with a bodyslam and takes RVD out with an uppercut, before ascending to the top rope for a Splash. It connects on Suzuki, but the pin is only worth two as Van Dam just barely manages to break it up in time! RVD and Haas fight to the outside and exchange fists, but are suddenly taken out by a suicide dive from Suzuki, who brings RVD back into the ring and hits an Exploder suplex for the pin. But at two, Charlie Haas comes off the top rope with a leg drop across Suzuki's head and then levels him with a Side Kick as he stands! Van Dam stands and stumbles into a DDT, before being locked into the Haas of Pain. Suzuki is down and cannot break the hold, leaving Van Dam to tap out after being held in the submission for quite a while. Haas is declared the winner at 8:57 and will face the United States champion on next week's Smackdown.

Winner: Charlie Haas

Rating: 73, 66, 81, ***

And Charlie Haas picks the victory to get the first shot at the United States title come next week. A great match and a great victory from Haas, who seems determined to become a threat in the singles rankings.

For sure, Cole. Haas was amazing in the World's Greatest Tag Team with Shelton Benjamin, who is now on Raw, but now I think he's going to be just as good -- if not better -- as a single's competitor.

Well, earlier tonight, Spike Dudley was defeated by Shannon Moore but that wasn't the case for D-Von and Bubba Dudley as they severely attacked Paul London just hours ago, before Smackdown began! As a matter of fact, we have footage of the incident.

We cut away to show Paul London being interviewed by Mark Lyold. London begins to speak about what it was like to be Tag Team champion, when we see a large object come into the picture and hit London across the head! As it turns out, it's a steel chair! The camera backs up and the two Dudleyz appear, both beating and kicking on London. He tries to fight back, but D-Von hits him across the back of the head with his Championship belt which lays him out. London is now busted wide open but the attack continues as D-Von pulls London up and lifts him, before Bubba yanks him down onto the cold, hard cement with a vicious 3-D! Afterwards, the Dudleyz pull London into a sitting position and shove the Tag Titles in his face, telling him he'll never get hold of this again. We then see London being loaded onto a stretcher with Billy Kidman at his side, who is apologizing for not being there over and over.

Segment Rating - 66%

Well, as you just saw, it was a very vicious attack and no one is even sure if Paul London will make it to SummerSlam. But speaking of SummerSlam, it's going to be huge! Eddie Guerrero will take on Kurt Angle with the General Manager slot on the line and JBL will defend his WWE Title against Undertaker. But that's not all!

Yeah, let's look at what's lined up for SummerSlam.

The final rundown for SmackDown's SummerSlam is shown with moving images of everyone involved, match by match. The card is:

* Long on the Line: Eddie Guerrero v. Kurt Angle

* WWE Title: JBL v. The Undertaker

* United States Title: John Cena v. Booker T

* WWE Tag Team Titles: Dudley Boyz v. Billy Kidman & Paul London

* WWE Cruiserweight Title: Spike Dudley v. Rey Mysterio

* Mark Henry v. Luther Reigns

And that is certainly a stacked card. I can't wait for SummerSlam, but Smackdown isn't done yet. Fans, don't go anywhere because when we return, John Cena and Big Show will take on Booker T and Luther Reigns!

COMMERCIAL BREAK

We return to find the massive Big Show walking down a hallway, obviously headed for the ring. But as he continues walking, John Cena appears and stops him. The two men simply stare at each other momentarily, before Cena finally speaks. “Show, we've had our problems in the past. Hell, we've had more than problems. We've been at each other's throats for as long as I can remember. But tonight, we need to put all of that behind us and take out these two punks, Booker T and Lutha' Reigns.”

Show nods and Cena continues. “But before we do that, I need to know if I can trust you. I need to know if you're going to have my back and if I can depend on you, big man.” Cena eyes Show up and down and then stares him in the eyes as neither talks.

Finally, Show speaks. “You know what, John? You can trust me. I've got your back.”

But Cena shakes his head and cuts Show off. “I don't want to hear it. You can prove it to me in the ring. See you out there.” With that, Cena walks off and the camera zooms in on an angry Show's face who suddenly turns and jams his fist into the wall, breaking it!

Segment Rating - 82%

Raw Rebound - Chris Benoit forcing Randy Orton to tap out with the World Heavyweight title on the line, after the match was made by Eric Bischoff. Eugene pinning Ric Flair cleanly.

Booker T & Luther Reigns vs. John Cena & Big Show

We return to the ring to find Booker and Reigns have already entered and that John Cena is in the middle of his entrance. Cena pauses at the end of the rampway as pyro explodes upon the rampway and the massive figure of Big Show appears, much to the crowd's delight. Show takes his time getting down to the ring and looks at Cena, who simply dives into the ring and tackles Booker! Reigns tries to pull Cena off, but Show stops him with a chop to the chest and then throws him into the corner! As Cena and Booker roll around, Show manhandles Reigns in the corner before falling victim to a lowblow from Booker. Cena manages to pull Booker away and drills him with a right but the damage has been done and Reigns floors Show with a clothesline, showing his amazing strength. Reigns then spins Cena around into a Spinebuster and lets out a roar, only to turn right into a Chokeslam from Show! Booker boots Show in the gut and goes for a Scissors Kick, but Show stands and hits a Chokeslam instead! The crowd is now on their feet as Cena stands and looks Big Show in the eyes. He then looks at the fans and calls for the end as Booker is slowly standing. Show smirks and turns to Luther Reigns, grabbing him by his neck and Cena gets Booker up for the FU. Then, both men hit their respective moves simultaneously as the crowd explodes. Then, Cena goes for the cover as the bell finally rings and gets the three count to end the match, officially, at 0:10! Afterwards, Cena shakes hands with Show as the crowd continues to cheer for them.

Winners: John Cena & Big Show

Rating: 75, 74, 77, ***

John Cena and the Big Show just destroyed Booker T and Luther Reigns! Dear god, Cena and Big Show came into the match on fire and the match was over before it really began.

I guess Big Show can be trusted because he had Cena's back tonight, Cole. That was a real rocketbusta' and I'm sure Booker and Luther ain't even gonna forget that beating.

Indeed… and oh, do you hear that?! Eddie Guerrero is in the house and the crowd's going nuts.

And Michael Cole is indeed right as Eddie Guerrero's music hits and the crowd explodes in cheers. Driving out onto the rampway in a yellow lowrider, Guerrero stops the car at the ring and makes it bounce on the hydraulics before stepping out and entering the ring. Retreaving a microphone, Eddie plays to the crowd momentarily before calling for his music to be cut off and speaking.

“Yo, yo, holmes! You know, Kurt Angle isn't here tonight but you want to know who is? Eddie Guerrero! And when Eddie's in the building, there's a party goin' on. But I wanna get down to business. Ya see, last week Kurt Angle made the stipulation for our match at SummerSlam. And that stipulation involves Teddy Long and the General Manager spot.” Mild cheers from the crowd. “So basically, the fate of Smackdown relies on me. And I guess, most people would be nervous if they were holding a whole company in their hands but me? I'm not nervous. And you know why? Because I know I can beat Kurt Angle. Hell, I've done it before.”

Cheers from the crowd and Eddie continues. “Kurt, I'm ready for SummerSlam. I want to get into the ring with you! I need to get into the ring with you! Because Kurt, I want to destroy your dreams of every becoming General Manager again. I want to see the look on your face, holmes. The look when you realize that becoming General Manager again will never happen. It won't just make my day, essa. It won't make my year. It'll make my life. An-…”

But before Eddie can continue, he is leveled from behind by Kurt Angle who came to the crowd! Angle knocks Eddie down with a forearm and immediately begins stomping him across the back of the head, before whipping him into the ropes! However, Guerrero reverses it and hits a dropkick as Angle returns. Stumbling up to his feet quickly, Angle walks right into a fist from Eddie and goes down but manages to hit a lowblow on Guerrero as he rises. Stumbling back, Eddie walks right into a running clothesline from Angle who immediately tries to lock on an Angle Lock, but Guerrero slips away and trips Kurt down to the canvas! Then, as Angle stands, Eddie grabs him from behind and hits an Angle Slam!

Segment Quality - 96%

COMMERCIAL BREAK

WWE Title - John Bradshaw Layfield vs. Funaki

JBL enters the ring solemnly, making this out to be a serious defense. Funaki enters to mild cheers, but enters with a serious look on his face as if he's a true challenge to the title. Surprisingly, Funaki comes out swinging and gets a rollup that has the fan's on the edge of their seats but JBL gets out. Standing, JBL levels Funaki with a Clothesline from Hell and ends the match at 1:05. Afterwards, JBL celebrates as if the match took everything out of him but is quickly cut off by the lights, as they flicker off.

Winner: Still Champion, John Bradshaw Layfield

Rating: 74, 70, 79, *½

The crowd explodes in cheers as JBL drops his title and shakes his head in fear. But, regaining his composure, JBL wipes the 'sweat' from his brow and gets down into a ready position, calling on Undertaker. And finally, his dark figure appears from the smoke as the crowd goes nuts. Making his way down to the ring, Undertaker slowly ascends the steps and enters the squared circle. Upon doing so, JBL immediately rushes him and the two begin exchanging fists with the crowd and announces going wild! Undertaker takes the advantage and fights JBL back into the ropes, before irish whipping him into the opposite side of the ring. Rushing to meet him, the Phenom sends JBL to the outside with a clothesline and as the lights go off, he drops to a knee and holds the WWE Title into the air as Smackdown goes off the air.

Segment Rating - 79%

And The Undertaker just drilled JBL with a clothesline! The Champion is down and out and the Phenom has the title in his grasps.

Is this a preview of SummerSlam?

Fans, SummerSlam is in 9 days! Toronto, Canada! Order it now and goodnight from Smackdown!

SD! QUALITY: 75%

SD! RATING: 6.01

08/21 Velocity Results

Dark Match: Ron Simmons def. Johnny Stamboli in 6:17 with the Dominator to make his WWE return.

We review SmackDown! to start, with Shannon Moore pinning Spike Dudley.

Shannon Moore def. Jamie Noble with a Snake Eyes at 8:19.

A hype video for Kyo Dai is shown, focusing around underground Japan.

What occured on SmackDown! between Eddie Guerrero and Kurt Angle is shown.

Bobby Lashley def. Chris Masters with a Piledriver at 4:57.

Heidenreich def. Orlando Jordan with the Chokeslam at 2:21.

The main event of SmackDown! and Undertaker destroying JBL is shown.

Ultimo Dragon def. Scotty 2 Hotty with the Dragon Sleeper at 7:21.

Raw and SmackDown!

In association with

World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc.

Present

SummerSlam

LONG ON THE LINE

Kurt Angle vs. Eddie Guerrero

WWE HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE

John Bradshaw Layfield vs. The Undertaker

WWE UNITED STATES TITLE

Booker T vs. John Cena

WWE TAG TEAM TITLES