The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

Can anyone help me out with what on earth I'm looking at with a DS? I'm considering getting one for my 6 year old for Christmas, but I'm bewildered by the "New" ones. I can get a 2DS for about £75 which seems reasonable, while a New 2DS XL is a chunk more than that, but states it allows you to play New 3DS games. Is that a thing, are New 3DS games a different format? I feel like my dad. 

1 minute ago, Colly said:

Can anyone help me out with what on earth I'm looking at with a DS? I'm considering getting one for my 6 year old for Christmas, but I'm bewildered by the "New" ones. I can get a 2DS for about £75 which seems reasonable, while a New 2DS XL is a chunk more than that, but states it allows you to play New 3DS games. Is that a thing, are New 3DS games a different format? I feel like my dad. 

The XL would be better for your big, manly hands.

7 minutes ago, Colly said:

They made only a handful of games that ONLY work on the "New" branded systems - the Xenoblade game being the big one. The SNES downloadable games also only work on that system. Other games have speed/performance improvements on the New 2DS XL and the system also has a couple more buttons and a little nub that acts as a right stick.

11 minutes ago, Colly said:

I got my now-seven year old a 2DS last year and it's perfect. It can't snap off like the 3DS. While it doesn't play on the "new" 3DS games, it does play the vast majority of the regular ones. I think it was the right choice, considering she is still young and not super up to date on what new games are out anyway. I monitor that so I can veer her to older games, that cost like $10 a pop. 

• Like 2

If it's just for your kid, absolutely no reason not to go with the standard 2DS. Chunky piece of kit, decent library of games, and not (in my opinion) missing anything through the lack of 3D, and you'll be in control of what games they get for it, so the small number of games that won't work on it end up being a bit of a non-issue, surely?

25 minutes ago, Colly said:

It all depends on how careful they would be, if they are a rough and tumble type I would go with the 3DS, the clamshell will be more protection for the screens, if they are more careful there is nothing wrong with a 2DS. Also don't quote me but you may need to also get a charger, I think only the New 2DS comes with a charger in the box, not a big deal though its around £7.

The main difference between 3DS/2DS and the New 3DS/2DS is simply a better processor, for the most part it makes regular games a little faster, there are some exclusive titles but none that you should worry about, the only downside is you don't have the option for SNES games from the virtual console although there isnt that big a list of them anyway, you still get the full GB/GBC library though.

Edited by TheWho87

5 minutes ago, America's Most Forky said:

I didn't realize that you could get SNES games on the DS so when I saw it mentioned here, I was a little excited....but how the hell can Super Mario World for the SNES not be one of the games available :(

These are the ones that would be available for you.