The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

1 minute ago, Owen said:

Looking into getting a Nintendo Switch... is it worth getting at the moment? Not entirely sure what's about outside of Zelda, and I'm not much of a Zelda fan, myself.

There's a bundle at Tesco that gives you the system along with Lego City Undercover and Mario + Rabbids Battle Kingdom for £299.99. If you've got some Clubcard points and/or have access to someone with staff discount, that could be a good shout.

There's also Super Mario Odyssey coming in just over a week. Even if it isn't as good as it looks, it still ought to be good fun.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bobfoc said:

There's a bundle at Tesco that gives you the system along with Lego City Undercover and Mario + Rabbids Battle Kingdom for £299.99. If you've got some Clubcard points and/or have access to someone with staff discount, that could be a good shout.

There's also Super Mario Odyssey coming in just over a week. Even if it isn't as good as it looks, it still ought to be good fun.

I feel like the only game I'd be interesting in would be Super Mario Odyssey, as every other game I'm not interested in, could get on PC or already have for 3DS (well, I have a Mario Kart game for 3DS, but they aren't all that different). I did the same thing with PS4 and ending up owning maybe 3/4 games for the first year or so, and played maybe only 2 of them. I should probably wait a bit first, might wait for a little price drop.

2 hours ago, Owen said:

I feel like the only game I'd be interesting in would be Super Mario Odyssey, as every other game I'm not interested in, could get on PC or already have for 3DS (well, I have a Mario Kart game for 3DS, but they aren't all that different). I did the same thing with PS4 and ending up owning maybe 3/4 games for the first year or so, and played maybe only 2 of them. I should probably wait a bit first, might wait for a little price drop.

The consensus seems to be that you'll buy the Nintendo Switch and you'll want to play every game you could possibly play on a PC or other console on Switch because of the mobility and handheld nature. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RPS said:

The consensus seems to be that you'll buy the Nintendo Switch and you'll want to play every game you could possibly play on a PC or other console on Switch because of the mobility and handheld nature. 

I totally get that, but I don't tend to ever go anywhere in order to play on the go or anything, and I prefer playing on the PC otherwise because it's in my bedroom, whereas the Switch would be in the front room if anywhere (although I suppose I could just play it off the dock and in my room or just unplug a monitor and plug it in there?)

4 minutes ago, Owen said:

I totally get that, but I don't tend to ever go anywhere in order to play on the go or anything, and I prefer playing on the PC otherwise because it's in my bedroom, whereas the Switch would be in the front room if anywhere (although I suppose I could just play it off the dock and in my room or just unplug a monitor and plug it in there?)

So don't buy a Switch. 

If the first party Nintendo games do not interest you and the idea of a lot of great indie/some great third party games on the go does not interest you, I'd say the Switch does not look worth it. 

Actually, scratch that @Owen. Buy me a Switch instead. 

• Like 2

Just now, RPS said:

So don't buy a Switch. 

If the first party Nintendo games do not interest you and the idea of a lot of great indie/some great third party games on the go does not interest you, I'd say the Switch does not look worth it. 

Fair enough, cheers! Yeah, I bought a Wii U last year and barely played it so it would most likely be a waste of money until more first party games I'm interested in are released.

2 minutes ago, Owen said:

Fair enough, cheers! Yeah, I bought a Wii U last year and barely played it so it would most likely be a waste of money until more first party games I'm interested in are released.

I actually really loved my Wii U when I bought it, but I do enjoy Nintendo games generally. I played the hell out of Splatoon, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, 3D World, ZombiU, and others. I simply haven't bought the Switch yet cause I am trying to be more sensible with my money/it's a joint Christmas present for me and the SO. Unless he wants PSVR.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RPS said:

I actually really loved my Wii U when I bought it, but I do enjoy Nintendo games generally. I played the hell out of Splatoon, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, 3D World, ZombiU, and others. I simply haven't bought the Switch yet cause I am trying to be more sensible with my money/it's a joint Christmas present for me and the SO. Unless he wants PSVR.  

How about Mario Kart VR

v8bkoulv2ssz.gif

• Like 1

Fire Emblem Warriors is fun - I love that this and Hyrule had a lot more care put into it to make it really feel like it fits into the world. This one specifically - Hyrule Warriors had a weird identity issue but that's just the way Zelda is kinda. Fire Emblem has been more consistent and this just feels like it fits right in.

The Switch is genius. Anyone on the fence should pick it up. It's insane how amazing it is. This is by far the most optimal way to play games. 

Also does BotW have different save slots?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, RPS said:

The Switch is genius. Anyone on the fence should pick it up. It's insane how amazing it is. This is by far the most optimal way to play games. 

Also does BotW have different save slots?

Yeah, if you create multiple users each user will get their own save. There's a login system now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

Less than a week now! :D 

This is why I have a Switch now.

Also, it's insane to realize that I have played every mainline Super Mario game.